045: Dreams and Visions (PART 03)
8.4k 17 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
(A/N: Trigger warning)

Yan JinLong promptly took a step back while giving a new character an odd gaze. He could not help but feel a bit eerie and bewildered as though insects are crawling on his nape. He scratched the back of his neck while keeping a distance away from the figure.

It was said that seeing your doppelganger is an omen of death.

However, though they might look similar at a glance, if you pry over the details you would discern they weren't the same. Anyone familiar with him will not confuse him for this person. But it should be regarded that such resemblance is kind of scary.

They have the same shape of the eyes, the color of their irises, and the way their brows form when they frown - even the way they purse their lips are somewhat mirrored. Though Yan JinLong did not know how to hide his presence yet, the other person's straight back and walking stance is nonetheless the same as his.

When it comes to difference, plausibly it would be the essence of their existence. Yan JinLong's current body is robust and filled with bursting energy. Just by seeing him or standing beside him, you could tell that he's like a beast ample with a fierceness - very dangerous and unafraid.

It's like a child itching to play.

But the stranger, the other person has a somewhat peaceful and serene character like a scholar who does nothing but to watch at flowers and recite poems all day. Yet, this kind of humility is akin to an egg - only by breaking you could see the hidden prowess within.

Through this distinction, ignoring the viability of appearance, nobody will make the mistake of knowing who is who.

They might have the same features but he looks mature, more strict... older.

Just from the glint of his eyes, you can tell that he isn't a person that is just born yesterday. It is like an old man who had traversed the world for a thousand years just to obtain the truth.

Though, when he realized that the answer has been in front of him since day one but is blind to see it well, it's already too late.

It's because it was too simple to be true.

Though the eccentricity of his appearance and temperament made Yan JinLong feel ghastly, he is only fazed a bit as he calmed his heart down. It might seem like he is seeing himself from another perspective but there is clarity in his mind.

That stranger is not him.

They may appear the same, but both of them are different persons.

He is not him.

The other person did not introduce himself but Yan JinLong somehow knows how he is named. The stranger is now then tagged as Yan JinLong the Second in his mind. Now, this Yan JinLong the Second strayed in his dream without prior warning and barged into a place he thought is sacred.

Yan JinLong wondered, "Did my Mian Mian also meet this person here?"

Well, that did happen. But the one Lin Mian Mian saw is not this scenario but a series of events that led to their current relationship. Of course, Yan JinLong will only know this fact in the latter part of the story.

Yan JinLong the Second did not know the thoughts of the owner of this dream and just casually trotted past the person. He went to the side of the tree where a large patch of grass is cleared. A polished square rock is found in the middle. Yan JinLong was surprised when he found this.

Is this rock been placed here before?

Well, his eyes are always been watching the youth so how will he know?

The doppelganger lowered his body then kneels unto the polished rock in a practiced action as though he had done it many times before. He then placed his lightly clenched hands on his thighs whilst his eyes strained to look afar. He ignored the presence of the 'young' Yan JinLong as if he is not the one barging in.

How ignorant, Yan JinLong scoffs.

This is his dream, why is that other person occupying it?

Though, it made him a bit relaxed. He is a bit wary before but the actions of the other person show that he is not the bit interested to harm him like how the urban legends said.

This doppelganger is not here to kill him.

Anyway, this is just a dream. What other harm than waking up will he receive?

Yan JinLong, appeased by the situation, decided to observe the doppelganger. Yan JinLong the Second is kneeling in a posture as though he has been punished. He remembered kneeling in this way whenever the mother empress wanted to beat him with a stick when he was still young.

What possible thing did this person do?

Seeing that the other person seems to be looking for something, Yan JinLong followed the line of sight of Yan JinLong the second just to find a familiar infrastructure. H-hey, wait a minute. This place... Isn't this the Jade Lin Courtyard that he prepared for Lin Mian Mian?

Now, thinking about it, there is also a large canopy of Wisteria Tree in front of that building...

"How is this possible-"

"Silence."

Yan JinLong wanted to ask but he was stopped by the other person's 'shush'. The other person did not even look at him to glare or whatever but instead focused on watching the courtyard. He is a bit annoyed by the stranger's impudence but still followed his command.

Surely, he won't be given any answers after asking.

It is not worth wasting time.

A small movement was heard from the courtyard. It was subtle like footsteps of bare feet walking to a wooden floor. Light little scratching noises coming from the fabric being pulled by. Nobody knows which part of the house the sounds came from but somehow they can tell that it is approaching closer.

Yan JinLong is sure that such sound shouldn't sound so vivid but it seems that the silence amplified the small movement.

On the other hand, the doppelganger suddenly became sharp with his eyes straining more focus towards the entrances of the house. His posture is also somewhat straightened as though he has been slapped by a stick on his back. This jolt gave him the impression of sudden alertness.

What is going on...?

The window closer to their perspective but still a distance away was opened. A pale hand reaches out to the window frame gently grasping the edges before gradually stepping forward.

Half of its body kissed the cool morning sun creating a touch of vibrancy on his soft image. The overlapping paleness and brilliance are enough to make his eyes gone blind.

Yan JinLong is sure that he is not seeing things.

It was Lin Mian Mian who perched unto the window sill. However, like the stranger, this Lin Mian Mian looks different from the Lin Mian Mian that he met. Though he is not as 'lifeless' as his bride - this person is full of emotions!

This Lin Mian Mian seems to be filled with grief and loneliness.

Just seeing the dark shades under his eyes shows how he cannot sleep well at night, or how he often cries.

There is a sad beauty coming from him.

He is smiling but it is not reaching his soul. The happiness created by his face is the practiced smiles an actor is trained to have. It may be able to deceive people, but those whose hearts are hardened by the passages of time knows that those are fake.

He is trying to be happy. He even clapped his hands often. But it is his way of conditioning himself from thinking that he is lonely...

Yan JinLong did not expect to see such tragedy. Somehow, his heart ached. He would rather have the doll-like Lin Mian Mian, not this one who seems to be already on the end of the spider's thread.

One cut... it only needed one cut to end this.

"Why... Why are you here?" Yan JinLong suddenly voiced out.

The stranger did not flinch but just keep on staring at that person. Yan JinLong thought that the doppelganger will not answer so he turned around and started walking. Since he is speaking with air then he'll just go and wake up-

"I made a mistake," Yan JinLong the second said.

Yan JinLong made a hundred and eighty and quickly returned to his position beside the doppelganger. He did not dare to look up to see what the doppelganger is watching but instead, he focused his attention on the other person.

"Huh? To whom?"

"To the person that I loved the most..."

"..."

Yan JinLong thought, why is my doppelganger saying bullshit?

"I regret it," the stranger continued. "But that's the only thing that I can do. It is no longer viable to obtain his heart."

That is kind of sad.

And stupid.

Yan JinLong thought that if you made a mistake towards another person then just say sorry. He even knows how to say sorry. He thought that if ever he had wronged 'his Lin Mian Mian' then he would kneel before the gods just to obtain his acceptance.

He asked further, "What things did you do to make you think that you are no longer viable?"

There was a long silence that made Yan JinLong feel that there is something wrong with the other person. However, before he could ask a new question, the other person replied.

"I am scared and doubted him..."

"Okay, then what is wrong with that-"

"I... raped him..."

"..."

"Then I left him alone..."

"..."

"I locked him in my grasps... not letting him go."

"..."

"I loved him but all I did is to give him pain. Now, all I could do is to watch him afar. I don't want him to be more broken..."

Yan JinLong became silent. Rather, he has no words to say.

He suddenly has the urge to beat someone up.

To hurt the person that you love... how much suffering did he encounter to resort unto something irreversible? Looking at the straight face of the stranger and to the 'Lin Mian Mian' smiling hollowly...

Both obviously love each other, yearning for the other, yet reason and guilt made them separated.

Then again, this is just a dream. He has no reason to feel sympathy towards a stranger that looks like him.

He is not him.

"Cherish him," the stranger suddenly said.

Yan JinLong looked away not caring whatever these two strangers are doing. Instead, he focused his attention on the somehow calm wisteria tree. This tree is akin to that big tree of the Jade Courtyard. The only difference is that this tree had seen the saddest story that is why it is always crying.

"You don't have to remind me. I am not stupid like you," Yan JinLong answered.

There is a slight fluctuation that marked his dream to an end. The other person did not dare to look away, still managed to say, "Just be careful."

It was still dark when he opened his eyes. The faint light coming from the wedding lanterns cast a slightly warm touch to the paper walls. He remembered the look of that 'Lin Mian Mian' in his dreams. Yan JinLong blinked his eyes to adjust his senses before pulling the person in his arms to a tight hug.

However, he has kicked away.

Yan JinLong fell from the bed.

There were loud thud and bumping noises that people outside the room thought that the emperor and the new wife is at it again. And based on how the 'hit' is done and how the 'crush' and the fabric 'rubbing', the two must have been doing an intense session!

Of course, everyone knows (yeah, you beyond the fourth wall) that nothing is happening.

The groan that they heard escape from the thin walls is from Yan JinLong silently cursing the sudden pain he received in his gut. He had indeed been on battles and fights etc. but being kicked to the stomach unprepared still hurt!

He stood up ready to complain whatever when he caught sight of the person sleeping in the bed. Lin Mian Mian is still wearing the red wedding dress that is half-peeled showing his chest and shoulders. His legs are awkwardly apart with the foot responsible for kicking Yan JinLong from the bed void of any clothing.

It's dark but Yan JinLong can sense the blush coming from the youth.

Something is different.

The small complaint vanished and was replaced with anticipation. He carefully climbs up in the bed, properly closing the gaping legs, and then pulled Lin Mian Mian in a hug. He cradled the sleeping wife on his chest slightly patting Lin Mian Mian's back.

He kissed the top of his head and murmured a few words.

It's him.

He is here.

-----------------------

Little theatre:

Yan JinLong : *happy* He is here...

Lin Mian Mian : *is dreaming from the pain of dying*

Lin Mian Mian : *soothed by the pat on his back*

Lin Mian Mian : *moaned lightly*

Yan JinLong : *Suddenly the titan stood up*

Yan JinLong: Okay, enough drama! Let's start rolling!

Lin Mian Mian : Ahhhhhhhhhh...ah~

And the story begins hahahhaa

58