Judgement
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

       Enderheim took the ship into D-Space. He reached down to his right and released a catch. His seat spun around so the two could talk easier. "We need to talk, Councilor," he said quietly. He put his hands over his stomach and crossed his leg over one knee.

       "First," he said slowly, "Are you okay? Are you injured in any way?"

        Swaggart nodded. "No, I'm just fine," he shrugged. "Thanks for asking."

       Enderheim scowled and scolded, "How could you be without a back bone?! By the High Ones, Amok is right! You people could break a bowling ball with a rubber hammer!"

       "Well, what was I supposed to do?" Swaggart felt his heat rising. "Start a fist fight with Sanderson in front of someone whom I'd just met?"

       "Like I said before," Enderheim said, throwing up his hands and dropping them in his lap. "Your timing is nothing short of miraculous. I don't mean that as a compliment."

       "Yeah well," Swaggart looked down and said to the floor, "As long as we're not handing out compliments, I will just say I did not enjoy reading about those missionaries."

       Enderheim cocked his head, "What? Those people have been going to places where they get cooked and eaten for centuries," Enderheim said equably. "I'd think they'd not take so much umbrage at a few pieces of thrown fruit." his eyebrows drew together angrily. "Do you know how long it took the healers to convince the little gnomes they weren't going to Hell because they aren't human?"

       "I had no idea they'd gone there," Swaggart protested. "They were supposed to register with the Council before going. I only found about it afterwards. They were going to go to the media over it. I stopped it, amongst protests from a few of the others, I might add."

       "This can't go on like this," Enderheim sighed heavily. "It's just a matter of time till this situation grows in to something decidedly ugly."

       "I've been doing everything I know," Swaggart shrugged helplessly. "I'm open to suggestions at this point in time," he barked a laugh.        "What did Amok say about all this?"

      Enderheim shook his head, "Let me tell you something about Amok," he said ruefully.  "He's my best friend and has been since before this Universe came into being, but Amok is the type of guy that knows exactly what he's doing, but he hardly knows where he's at."
       "Huh?" Swaggart blinked in puzzlement. " Renata said he was picked over billions of other owners."

       Enderheim smiled sadly. "And so he was. Amok is one of the most brilliant of us, but he sees the Universe as it should be, rather than what it is." Enderheim leaned forward in his earnestness. "Amok believes that our society is perfect in every way, and that we are all a bunch of happy little Overlords chasing Healers through the forest with laurels in their hair and fig leaves on their squishy parts. As you have just seen, this is not the case."

       "I did get that impression during the conversation around Saturn," Swaggart nodded. "I could tell that you and that Rokiki fellow didn't like each other very much."

       "They are part of a growing faction of Overlords that believe that the quest to find the Guardians mate is a, how do you put it? .. a wild goose chase. They do not see it as a great progression of our race, but endless, fruitless searching. They see you as a way out."

       "Us?" Swaggart was so surprised his eyes bulged. "what do we have to do with this?"

       Enderheim smiled thinly. He sat for a moment and asked quietly," Do you remember what Amok said about what is precious to us in the Universe?"

       Swaggart nodded. "He said Life is the most precious thing in the Universe. And that rarest of all Life was people. I took it that he meant intelligence."

       "Besides yourselves, how many creatures on your planet can understand mathematics well enough to count past, oh say, 1 million." Enderheim smiled faintly.

       Swaggart was taken back a little at the question, it was so easy. "None. Only humans can count with understanding. A few animals like horses and dogs can be taught to simulate it, but it is mimicry. They have no real understanding of what it actually means."

       "How many other creatures can be taught to speak other languages? Taught to read and write effectively?" Enderheim raised an eyebrow.

       "Why none," Swaggart replied, shrugging.

       "These facts are easily apparent," Enderheim nodded. "And yet, you have abused each other, believing one color or other natural trait is better for some reason. A black man can learn anything a white man can. Or a brown man, or a yellow man. The reasons for racism are ridiculous. Beneath your skin all of you are exactly the same. Two arms and legs. One head. Half a brain. Amok and I have discussed this over centuries and have never been able to figure out why."

       "Consider yourself a member of a very large club," Swaggart scowled. "You aren't the only one who's pondered these conundrums. I myself have wondered about the very same things you've been discussing."

       "There are thousands and thousands of life forms. Out of those, only a double handful can count past a thousand, let alone a million. Most are just animals and will always remain so. We find many already at the end of their genetic sequence." Enderheim shook his head.               "How many of those double handful could have sat where you did and remained calm?"

       "I have no idea," Swaggart spread his hands. "there is no way I could know that."

       "There are none," Enderheim cocked one eyebrow higher than the other, "A Dwarf would become so angry at being shot at, he would probably jump out the nearest airlock to get at them. A Gnome would have just sat there gibbering in terror. An Elf is so inherently claustrophobic, he or she would not get in a space ship for anything to start with; even at the cost of their lives. They won't leave their green forests and giant trees and funky tasting mushrooms."

       Swaggart was confused. "If this is true, then why have you stayed away from us? Why have you not introduced yourselves to us in the past? Much bloodshed and hardship could have been avoided."

       Enderheim smiled sadly. "Who says we have not? Initially, we gathered you all together in a great city, gave you food and drink, a roof over your head..." He shook his head. "Do you know what happened?"

       Swaggart's brow furrowed in concentration. "if you give someone everything," he said slowly. "They will not appreciate its value. I can't imagine a person doing anything if they don't have to."

       "Precisely," Enderheim pointed his finger down. "You became little more than a herd of cattle. Eating, drinking, and procreation were your only concerns. You devolved at an astonishing pace. Amok emptied the city and sank it in the ocean. Atlantis, I think you call it now. Amok was so disappointed he left the Area and went and joined a search team on the farthest edge and stayed there for 25 years. I stayed behind and picked up the shattered pieces of our dreams and started you all over."

       "Just how much of our mythology and legend has been because of you?" Swaggart, for some undefinable reason, felt himself becoming angry.

       "Not as much as you think," Enderheim grinned wryly. "You needed no help in imagining gods and demons and good versus evil. We gave you technology and taught you how to use it. We taught you to read and write and count and a myriad of other things. Do you know what happened? You used our gifts to make war on each other. The deserts are a product of this. Once the planet healed, we started you over again 50,000 years later. This attempt you refer to as "The Ancient Astronauts."

       "This last go round," Enderheim continued, holding up his hand to silence Swaggart. "We have left you to develop on your own, with Amok interfering in only the most dire of circumstances. The gravity generator is a good example. He's kept planet killers from impacting Earth on more than one occasion, and gave you D-Space technology because you were running out of certain resources. You have almost destroyed yourselves again, but Amok or I have prevented that as best we could."

       "So this is why you are so reluctant to aid us?" Swaggart scowled darkly. "So as not to 'spoil us'?" he make a quotation gesture around the words 'spoil us'.

       "More or less," Enderheim shrugged dramatically. "Arresting your race now would be a waste of time and resources. Without Pods to use Power, you will run into creatures you couldn't possibly hope to stand against. That includes us. You must wait to evolve so that we can come together and aid each other properly."

       "That's not as easy as it sounds," Swaggart felt his anger draining away at these new revelations. "Many feel like you are denying us 'services', as you call them, out of selfishness and disdain."

       "Nothing could be further from the truth," Enderheim shook his head. "We hold back for many reasons, but stunting your growth, so to speak, is chief among them."

       "Cold comfort," Swaggart drawled, "For those of us suffering now, while you sit back and watch."

       "These decisions do not come easily to Amok and myself," Enderheim looked away. "We care more for each and every one of you more than you can possibly imagine." he looked back to Swaggart. "Why else would I start a most unpleasant series of events that are sure to unfold once word of this skirmish reaches the rest of our people."

       "Huh?" Swaggart felt an alarm bell going off in the back of his mind. "What do you mean?"

       "This ship," Enderheim waved airily. "Is unique. Only Amok and myself know how to make another one. Others will not believe it bested so many. They will come here to test their mettle against it. I will be dueling Owners for the foreseeable future. You," he pointed at Swaggart, "can be caught in the middle. Word that I fought over you is all they need to know to get me to fight again. Sanderson caused far more damage than he could possibly imagine."

        Behind Enderheim, on the flight console, an amber light came on, and there was a tiny beep.

       "What's that?" Swaggart pointed.

       Enderheim didn't look back to where Swaggart pointed. "The teleporter on the way station has just been used. We need to go back there and get those Shadow weapons."

       Turning back to the console, Enderheim dropped out of D-space. The white sphere of the way station hung before them. Rather than teleport down, Enderheim moved the ship inside the shield bubble, checking something on his console every couple of seconds.

       "Um," Swaggart looked a little confused. "Is there a problem?"

       "Not so far," Enderheim grunted. "But, considering the mood they were in when they left, I want to make sure they haven't left any nasty little surprises for us."

       They landed and Enderheim raised the canopy of the cockpit. He took from his pocket a large, clear jewel. He held it to his eye and peered around slowly. He stood on the pilot seat and slowly turned around. After a moment, he climbed out and stood on the ground with a hearty sigh. He signaled to Swaggart to come out.

       Swaggart understood Enderheims sigh. He couldn't remember when solid ground felt so good. A few meters away was a small cottage about 4 meters square. Enderheim moved towards it, with his jewel held up before him.

       Swaggart pointed. "What is that? A diamond?"

       "It used to be," Enderheim said distractedly. "Now it's a Jewel of Clear Sight. When you look through it, it sees through any illusions and detects traps. If you want, it can even look through walls. Here," he said, handing it back to Swaggart. "Check it out."

       Swaggart took the jewel gingerly. He held it up to his eye. He gasped. "I can see right through the ship into the cockpit." He looked at Enderheim. All around him were tiny points of golden light. There were more than a dozen. Swaggart pointed. "What are those lights around you?"

       "Those are items of Power in my pockets," Enderheim chuckled, moving towards the door and opened it. He looked in and sighed. "I knew I should have made them throw them out," he shook his head sadly. "All that work...Amok is going to be pissed. " he closed his eyes for a second. "Oh well, one is better than none I guess." he closed the door and headed back towards the ship.

       Swaggart followed close behind. "Aren't you going to take the one left?" he asked.

       "No," Enderheim said shortly. "Leave it for Glave. It's the least I can do." He climbed in and motioned for Swaggart to board. "Let's go."

       They lifted off and Enderheim engaged the cloak. He looked down at something for a moment and turn the tiny craft to the right. He put on some speed and in less than a minute, some dots appeared in front of them. They grew into the herd of Snath moving sedately towards a huge asteroid hanging in space.

       Enderheim touched a few controls and a face swam into view. The person had dark short hair and enigmatic looking grey eyes. He blinked once and stared hard for a moment.

       "Come to gloat?" he asked in his deep voice. He was the one who'd been able to identify their predicament as J- Space.

       "No," Enderheim said in a neutral voice. "Why did the others leave you behind?"

       "They didn't," he replied flatly. "As a matter of fact, they told me that if I didn't go with them, I was off the team. That arrogant fool Rokiki tried to force me, but he's as not nearly as tough on the ground as he thinks he is."

       "Why didn't you want to go with them?" Enderheim pressed.

       The Overlord looked uncomfortable for a moment. He shook his head. "If we all left, what would happen to the little ones? They're scared to death. I couldn't just abandon them." he looked away.

       "If I could tow you out of here," Enderheim said quietly. "I would. But I can't. When you do get out, you will find your Ownership status intact. Reapply to the Dancers on the Edge if you still want to go. I have some influence there," he shrugged. "I cannot say the same for the others."

       "They were all vowing to come back as soon as possible. With as many friends as they could gather from what I could tell. Jehncy was already making a list of people he was going to call in."

       "I wouldn't count on them returning any time soon," Enderheim said coldly. "I told them that teleporter would take them back to civilization, but I didn't specify which civilization. Right now I imagine they're swinging those shadow weapons with every ounce of strength they have."

       The man looked startled. "How could you...?"

       "Rokiki isn't the only one with friends," Enderheim smiled. "I went in the control room, used the Owners Tapestry and rerouted the teleporter to a Primordial, where the air is barely breathable and the ground crawling with elementals of every sort. The teleporter out is on the other side of the planet. It will take the them weeks to reach it on foot. And when they do, that teleporter is on a closed loop and they will find themselves on another Primordial. It will be years before you hear from them again; IF they survive at all."

       The man shook his head. "I had a feeling your reputation as a capering fool was a smokescreen. But I never, in a million years, would have guessed you for one of those mad furies in Snath Retrieval."

       "Amok is number 2," Enderheim grinned. "He and I built the Snath retrieval ships the other teams use. This ship is virtually indestructible. You could shoot it for a thousand years and not leave a smudge."

       The man sighed. "I suppose I should get back to the Snath. I can feel them getting restless. Good hunting to you and well met Enderheim. My name is Caroff."

        "It is good to see at least one of you youngsters upholding your oaths." Enderheim raised his closed fist and the viewscreen went back to a view of normal space.

       They reentered D-Space. Swaggart felt himself pushed far back in his seat. He smiled and said, "I knew our analysts were off," he remarked smugly. "You are not the race of absolutes they described. Deep down I always knew Amok and you were softies at heart."

       "As your people used to say," Enderheim chuckled half to himself, "Everyone has the right to be an asshole once. As for Amok and myself being a softie, hold on to that thought."
       They dropped out of D-Space. To Swaggart's amazement, he recognized the rings of Saturn off to their right.

       "This ship is much faster than anyone thinks," Enderheim smiled at Swaggart's expression. "I had a hard time holding her back when they were chasing us. The one flaw to the Leeki Everdrive is the fact that it's shook everything it's been mounted in to pieces. This ship, however, is fashioned from the heart of a hyper black hole. It took Amok and myself 6 years to carve and enchant it so that its weight wouldn't crush everything it touched. It has no top speed. It just gets faster and faster. It got it to 82 Centons once and it scared me so bad I shut it down. She was shuddering and shaking like a wet dog."

       "What's a Centon?" Swaggart looked puzzled.

       Enderheims face clouded for a second. "Umm ... A Centon is a parsec with 30 thousand zeros behind it. Per Second." he grinned. "Amok sat where you are now. His face was white as new linen."

       "If this ship is so much faster and stronger than the Snath, then why don't you use these ships to explore instead of the Snath?" Swaggart shook his head.

       "Spoken like a true human," Enderheim grinned. "Only the best and nothing but the best eh? If you tried to explore the Edge in this ship, the isolation would drive even the most jaded of explorers mad in less than a hundred years. We are social creatures, much like yourselves. The Snath provide companionship for one. They can detect life far better than any instrument we can design. Plus, we have a symbiotic relationship with the Snath. They carry us on our search when we are joined and in exchange they gain intelligence and techniques for survival they could never learn on their own. When they return, they are released into herds of wild Snath and lead them to new food sources. Their special training can keep the wild herds away from places like that J-Space."

       "So this is basically made to be a rescue vehicle," Swaggart nodded. "And from what I gather, the crafting of this ship doesn't come easy, even for you folks."

       "Like I said before," Enderheim replied. "This ship is unique. We use it for emergencies, like you said. As whole, however, using Snath is more beneficial all around. Snath don't use hard to mine and make crystals. Searching is more complete using Snath. Many times they've spotted something one of us might have missed otherwise."

       "Fine with me," Swaggart grinned wryly. "One of these is enough for one Universe. Our flagship is still in dry dock."

       Enderheim glanced backwards. "Looks like Sanderson has rounded up some friends and making their way to the asteroid." He looked at Swaggart chewing on a nail. "What do you think, Councilor? You want the Kratonium? Or not?"

       "Sort of," Swaggart looked thoughtful. "We need the Kratonium, but not at the expense of crashing our energy markets. The effects would ripple everywhere."

       'How about I use a gravity beam to tow it to the Counsels station? You could use the money to help improve your people. The people will no longer bear the burden of funding the Counsel. Used properly, it could do much good as long as greedy pigs like Sanderson don't get their hands on it."

       "Speaking of Sanderson," Swaggart sighed. "He's kind of got me over a barrel. If the Councill finds out I've been colluding with you..."

       "You will be a Hero for negotiating the delivery of this Kratonium," Enderheim finished for Swaggart.

       "That might work," Swaggart said musingly. "But, he will just crawl off and find some fresh venom to inflict. He's been a thorn in everyone's side since he got elected.'

       Swaggart saw the intent in Enderheim face. Swaggart shook his head. "If you kill him, it's an act of war. The Counvil would have no choice."

       "Kill him?" Enderheim echoed. "Where's the fun in that? How do you say? Ah! There's more than one way to skin a cat." he cocked his head. "If I do this for you, I want something in return."

       "We are, I think, already in your debt," Swaggart frowned for a moment and then shrugged. "Name it. I will do what I can."

       "I want the supply contracts for all 307 starter colonies scattered through out this galaxy," Enderheim replied.
Swaggart blinked in puzzlement. "What? Why?"

       "I am tired of standing by while the colonists are exploited and raked over for everything they can produce." Enderheim smiled thinly. "It's not fair. I have discussed this with Amok and he agrees."

       "Be my guest," Swaggart spread his hands. "Between the ruthless corporations and piracy, the colonists need all the help they can get. I will think of something to get it done, but, I want something too."

       "Such as?" Enderheim regarded Swaggart narrowly.

       "A hospital for our children," Swaggart said quietly. "Terminally ill children to be precise. The colonists aren't' the only ones exploited by ruthless corporations."

       Enderheim rubbed his chin. "I cannot speak for the Healers. I think they will agree, but they will want something in return. I think I know what could bring them around, but it won't be easy for you to deal with."

       "Ookay," Swaggart drew the word out. "Let's hear it."

       "The Healers are beside themselves over the human practice of abortion." Enderheim said disgustedly. "As long as that continues, they will never agree to anything. If I offer them the babies that were to be aborted and they allowed to adopt them, they would be over the moon."

        "That's a very complicated set of variables," Swaggart looked hesitant. Seeing Enderheims sudden scowl, he held up his hand. "Hold on a second," he said. "I'm on your side of this. I know it sounds simple, but it really isn't. There has much violence and bloodshed. I don't want a return to that."

       "It's much easier than you think," Enderheim replied. "Just offer the services for free. Don't tell anyone about the Healers or adoptions. I am sure they will play along and run interference for anyone who starts snooping around."

       "That might work," Swaggart felt a glimmer of hope.

       "I mean," Enderheim said coldly as he looked down his nose at Swaggart. "The babies are dead the second they walk through the door right? Who cares what happens to them after that."

       Swaggart felt a hot flush of shame color his face. He raised blazing eyes to Enderheim. "I suppose so," he said between clenched teeth.

             "Except for the soulless cretins looking to collect and sell the left over parts."

       "I just wanted you to know how Amok, myself and the Healers felt about it," Enderheim said frostily. "It gladdens my soul to see you are on the same page." he turned his seat around and locked it back in place.

       Enderheim maneuvered the tiny craft to position itself between the approaching ships and the Kratonium asteroid. His fingers flew as he searched for the right com frequency.

       "That's far enough," Enderheim spoke into the coms.

        A tiny light on the console told Enderheim that he had the right frequency. He touched something and the face of Sanderson and another man, apparently the captain of the lead ship appeared.

       "We are claiming this asteroid that's appeared in our..." Sanderson's eyes blazed suddenly with recognition. "You!" he blurted, surprised. "Where is Rokiki?"

       Enderheim replied in a bored tone. "Rokiki has been..." he paused as if searching for the right word. "Reassigned. I am here to retrieve my Kratonium."

       Sanderson's face clouded with irritation. "This is Amocks Area, if I understand correctly. And our people are in vital need of it."

       "I am an Owner just like Amok," Enderheim waved casually. "Rokiki took this asteroid from my Area. It was neither his or Amocks to take. I have made Rokiki most painfully aware of these facts, and by now he is doubtless regretting earlier decisions." Enderheim's superior smile did not reach his eyes.

       "If you try to take our Kratonium, I will order these men to open fire," Sanderson shouted angrily.

       "I am not taking it anywhere." Enderheim said reasonably. "I'm towing it to the Galactic Councils station orbiting Venus and leave it there. I'm giving it to the Lord Councilor here for his help in this very serious matter." he shrugged and then smiled cruelly. "Any objections?"

       "Why I..." Sanderson's mouth closed with an audible snap. A war of emotions ranged through his face as he seethed silently, trying to find an angle and finding none. Finally, he sighed heavily and spoke in a subdued tone, "No, I guess not. Our ships will escort you." He threw up his hands disgustedly and vanished from sight.

       Enderheims fingers danced for a moment and the ship moved off, the asteroid following. Increasing speed quickly, the ship and asteroid quickly pulled away from the human ships.

       Swaggart eyes were round with wonder as he watched the huge asteroid behind them. "This is amazing," he said. He looked back towards Enderheim, who was watching him in the reflection of the viewscreen. "I can't thank you enough."

       Enderheim smiled warmly. "It's the least I can do, considering the circumstances. Besides, it was worth it just to see the expression on his face," He laughed shortly. "I hope he has pills to curb his anger. He is going to pop something some day."

       It took them less than ten minutes to deposit the Kratonium. As soon as Enderheim was sure it wouldn't drift away before the Council could secure it, he turned the ship away and headed back the way they came. He engaged the cloak and flew past the small fleet of human without raising any kind of alarm.

       As they approached the Asteroid Belt, Enderheim slowed to a crawl, only moving the ship enough to dodge the occasional rock flying towards them.

       "Looks like they've cleared out." Enderheim said, looking down. He shook his head. "I'll come back later to get the young Rock Wyrms and throw them to the dragons."

       "Dragons?" Swaggart looked around. "Where?"

       "There is a city of them on Jupiter." Enderheim explained. "Amok or me throw the young ones into the atmosphere. When they get fully grown, the dragons hunt them. They are quite the delicacy, I'm told."

       "Just how much goes on around here without our knowledge?" Swaggart rolled his eyes.

       Enderheim laughed softly. "You would have to ask Amok," he said moving the ship off and heading towards the sun. "After all, I've been on the Edge for the past 500 years."

       "The things you describe," Swaggart said wistfully, "I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams. What I wouldn't give to see places you have. The anticipation you must feel..."

       Enderheim smiled sadly. "The disappointment becomes overwhelming, along with dread, and a sense of loss. To find remnants of civilization long since turned to ruins. It is exhausting in the end. Even the most jaded can only take so much. The Snath's companionship helps a lot, but they don't understand."

       "You don't search in teams?" Swaggart squinted, shaking his head. "You are all solo?"

       "There are teams," Enderheim nodded. "They break up, reform as they run across each other," he shrugged. "Amok and I used team up for a thousand years at a time. I once went out solo for a few thousand," he shook his head. "Amok had some sort of reaction once to being joined with a Snath. He won't use them again. It happens."

       "You don't know?" Swaggart asked. "How do you keep track of everyone?"

       "We have a map," Enderheim replied as they flew past a military platform close enough to see people behind the thick glass. "We call it the Tapestry. Every Owner has one. It is constantly updated. From the Tapestry you can access information on every asset we have searched. If you want to, in just a few seconds you can see every planet, every star, every solar system, every galaxy, every anomaly. It is meticulously maintained and monitored. It is one of our cultures biggest prides. And yet, it is worthless, for all that we've seen and searched, our main prize eludes us."

       The Earth grew larger and larger at an alarming rate. So fast, in fact, that Swaggart held up his hand protectively and was pressing his foot down on the floor as if to apply the brakes. They suddenly stopped. Swaggart looked down and saw the roof. The tiny ship hovered above silently.

        Swaggart's vision turned black, and suddenly found himself in a small room, barely larger than a closet. Enderheim stood next to him.
He smiled. "We don't like to suddenly appear from nowhere," Enderheim smiled as he turned the door knob. "It scares the bejeesus out of people," he laughed lightly.

       They came out into a short corridor that let out into the dance floor just beside the stage. A young man, barely in his teens was using a wide push broom to sweep all the bottles and cups on the floor into the dance area. 

       The dance area was littered with all sorts of refuse. Two women, waitresses by their identical attire, were busily picking up the bottles and cups and tossing them high in the air, most landing into a 55 gallon drum. As each bottle broke, they raised a fist, shouting gleefully when the glass broke.

       Stanton sat at a table, a pencil in his beefy hand. As the bottle broke he would make a mark. Evidently, he was keeping score.

       Most of the patrons had retreated to the front, but several sat slumped at tables with their heads down. These were studiously ignored by both waitress and sweeper alike. Mary was standing by the farthest corner shaking her finger at a man who watched her with sardonic amusement; as if unbelieving the nerve of the stout woman.

       He wore black Elf Boots, dark brown leather pants, a shiny dark grey shirt and a black leather cape hanging back over his chair. His amusement at Mary, however, was tempered by sidelong suspicious glances towards another table close by.

       At this table sat Renata and Froop. Froop still wore his ring of disguise, looking like an extreme bodybuilder. They stared balefully at the man, as if daring him to make a move.

       Enderheim and Swaggart appeared from the hallway leading to the dressing room doors. Swaggart continued walking forward, looking around at the harsh white lights and debris piles everywhere. He shook his head and smiled ironically.

       Enderheim strode two steps in and turned to his left. All that was left of the show he'd been waiting centuries for were a few strips of mangled duct tape stuck to the stage. Slowly, he reached up and pulled one of them up and stood there staring at it enigmatically. Slowly, his mouth turned down into a deep frown.

       The man Mary was yelling at saw Enderheim the instant he entered the room. His eyes flickered with a touch of surprise, and then went suddenly hard. He looked down at Mary, who was turning to see what the man was looking at, as if he had heard enough of her.

       Renata and Froop stood up. Renata, her eyes glittering with golden fires, pointed her finger at the man. "If you hurt her, I will Burst you, and put what's left out with the nights trash. Do you understand?"

       "Try it," the man growled. He dropped his hand to his side, away from easy view, and stood up. "And I'll cut you both in half."

       "With what?" Enderheim, sneered as he stood next to Renata. "That shadow weapon behind your back? See what happens when you attack one of Amoks Healers with a sword she helped to forge." he pointed. "Not to mention the fact that Renata here is one of the original Thirteen who freed the Hundred from the Demon Universe. This room would fill with Hundred."

       Mary flounced off with a determined look. She hated it when people spoke in a language she couldn't understand.

       Stanton threw down his pen and followed after. Renata glanced at Stanton, a small knowing smile on her face.

       "I'm not looking for a fight," he said neutrally. "All I want is to know what happened to the others. I can't sense them in this Area any more. Are they all dead?"

       Enderheim pointed behind him to indicate Swaggart. "Ask him," Enderheim smiled sardonically. "He was there."

       The man stared at Swaggart for a brief instant without turning his head away from the trio confronting him. He shook his head. "The wounded bird," he said, a trifle sadly. "They fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book."

       "Tournament Champions," Enderheims voice dripped with sarcasm, "Not a single one would last a month on the Edge." His eyes narrowed angrily. "I did not appreciate you sending those lockpickers to help them.

       "I tried to tell them," the man shrugged. He glanced up. "Those games they play have made them arrogant. They feel invincible. I did not send them. I tried to stop them. Humiliating them like that is just what they needed. Maybe next time they will give pause to their actions."

       "There isn't going to be a next time," Enderheim said in a deadly tone. "When I get back home, I am going to see to it that their Ownership status is rescinded and all Snath privileges revoked. They will be put back in the Mercenary ranks and will not be Owners again. Maybe in a few million years they might learn enough to apply again."

       The man shook his head as he looked at the floor. "You can't do that. You have not the authority." He looked up to see Enderheim with the back of his hand held up showing off his ring. The man's eyes widened in surprise when he recognized the ring.

       "I do not have the authority," Enderheim replied dryly. "But I do have the ear of those who do. They will listen to me over them."

       "You aren't leaving me much choice Enderheim," the man said grimly looking up and full into Enderheims face. "They are young and headstrong and disrespectful, but this skirmish doesn't warrant the punishments you describe." he made a dismissive gesture.

       "Well, that's just too bad isn't it?" Enderheim drawled. "I'm leaving you a choice. Take that shadow weapon from behind your back and leave it on the table. You can walk out or be carried out. I don't care which."

       "This is Amoks' area," the man replied coldly, taking a half step back and turning his body away so that his right side was hidden. "Only he can tell me to leave. Either that or tell me how to find the others. That is your choice."

       Amok came walking quickly from the hallway where Enderheim and Swaggart had entered. He was wearing blue jeans and sneakers. He had a light blue t-shirt with the words "I Want ALL The Power and NONE of the Responsibility" in tiny letters in the upper right.

       Amoks voice was low and deadly, "What the Hell is going on here Nahl?" he snarled angrily. "Why is Mary calling me saying there's Mages fighting in here?"

       Nahl pointed at Enderheim, stabbing slightly in his anger, "This ... " he hesitated. "Friend of yours," he spat the words, "Has attacked and exiled 3 dozen Owners."

       "No," Enderheim shook his head. "I shot the asteroid Rokiki was holding. The only other shot I fired was to rescue one of those fool lockpickers from Bertha," he was trying not to smile.

       Nahls lips were pressed together in his effort to restrain his fury, "You better get them back. If you don't there will be trouble." he stared hard at Enderheim for a second and looked to Amok.

       "You going to let him get away with this in your Area?" he said, looking down his nose.

       Amok didn't answer. he was staring at Swaggart with one eyebrow raised in astonishment. He looked at Enderheim and asked, his face ashen. "All of them?"

       "All but one who stayed behind," Enderheim replied in a serious tone. He shrugged and spread his hands. "It was either that or kill them all."

       Amok scowled, looking down as he digested this bit of news. "Do you really think," he said tightly, biting off each word. "That the Sisters would allow dull witted fools in charge of Area 0? What's really going on here? Who are you working for?"

       Rather than answer Amoks question, Nahl replied instead, "This is going to cause trouble. Their families are going to come here looking for them."

       "Good," Amok said coldly. "See what happens to em'." He turned his head a little to the left without taking his eyes off Nahl. "Renata," he said, indicating Nahl with a slight motion towards Nahl with his head.

       Renata smiled cruelly and stared hard at Nahl. Nahl stared back defiantly. After a few tension filled moments she said, "He's resisting."

       Froop stood up, his left hand coming into view. It had something wrapped around its fist that glowed an ugly, dark purplish color. A mist like substance seemed to cling and crawl around and there were tiny crackles of lightning.

       "Your trained dog summon forbidden energies Overlord," Nahl sneered. "What will you do about it?"

       "I'll have a little talk with him as we dump your remains in the garbage can," Amok said mildly. He raised his hand. "That's enough."

       "It is?" Enderheim blurted. He looked surprised.

       "If I force it out of him," Amok scowled. "I have a really bad feeling I would have to act on it. And I just don't have time for that right now."

       "Let's get something straight," Amok grated between clenched teeth. "Anyone who tries to interfere with the Search or the Guardian will be dealt with swiftly and permanently. Be advised, this situation has just ceased to amuse us. Let Enderheims recent actions serve as a warning."

       "If I so much as lay eyes on any of you," Enderheim said grimly. "I am going to assume you've come here to kill us or the Humans. I'm just gonna start shooting and call it self defense."

       "Fine," Nahl set his jaw. "Return my people and I will be happy to leave this vermin infested hovel of an Area."

       "No," Amok hoarse whisper was dry was death. "They tried to kill my friends, so as far as I'm concerned, they had it coming. I watched and listened to the whole thing through the cameras and mics on the ship." he smiled evilly. "I sent it to every Owner everywhere. Shall I include this conversation as well?"

       "That's what I thought," Amok said coldly to Nahls silence and expression. "We are going up to the bar and get some drinks," Amok tilted his head, smiling cruelly. "when I come back here to turn out the lights, you had better be gone and that shadow sword better be on the table. If it isn't, I will tell the inhabitant and have it it jump right down your throat, sheath and all."

       Amok took a step forward menacingly. Nahl took an involuntary step back, his eyes flickering redly. "Tell your friends I will be watching." he pointed at Nahl with an angry gesture. "If I so much as hear the barest whisper about the Search or the Guardian, I will have those best equipped to join me and deal with such."

       Amok turned and left, walking up the two steps to the front with a one last sidelong, withering, angry glance towards where Nahl sat frowning unhappily.

       Enderheim, Renata, Swaggart and Froop followed slowly, keeping their eye on Nahl till they moved out of sight.

       Sitting down heavily at the bar, Amok said something in a low voice to Mary, who eyed him suspiciously for a moment before setting a large glass of deep amber liquid and a glass of beer in front of Amok. Amok smiled gratefully and slipped a folded piece of paper across to Mary.

       Swaggart and Enderheim took the seats on each side of Amok. Renata went to the front window and looked out. She said something to Froop, who went to the front door and locked it.

       Amok reached forward and took his drink in hand. He stared at it for the barest second and suddenly swallowed half of it. He gave a tiny cough and took a drink from the beer glass. He coughed another tiny, restrained cough and stared down at the bar dully.

       Enderheim eyed his friend dubiously out of the corner of his eye. He reached down into a pocket and came out with his speak easy flask. He got the top about halfway off and then stopped suddenly at Mary's expression. He put the flask back in his pocket with a sheepish expression.

       "Pardon me for sayin' so sir," Stanton sat at the end of the bar, his accent thick with drink, "but ye look like a bucket o' smashed arseholes."

       The bar erupted in laughter, even Mary smiling impishly, setting a glass of dark liquid in front of Enderheim and dark bottle of beer in front of Stanton. She leaned forward a little and said something in a low voice to Stanton, who smiled and shrugged.

       "I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard," Amok grinned up at Enderheim, "I nearly passed out when Bertha grabbed that guy." he glanced to his right at Swaggart. "And again when you crawled under your seat. I fell over backwards in my lawn chair and lay there for I don't know how long. You guys are hilarious."

       "You're not worried about what that guy said?" Swaggart looked puzzled. "Their families coming here looking for them?"

       Amok shrugged. "I know their families personally. They know that anyone looking for trouble can taste the business end of my Total Conversion Cannons mounted on my ship. I will not tolerate this disrespect. I don't act that way when I visit another Owner, and neither does Enderheim."

       "There's about a dozen soldiers outside across the street," Renata said as she looked out the smoky widow. "I think they're after the Lord Councilor,"

       Swaggart's hand flew to his face, and pressed inwards. He had forgotten his friend Todd Garret, whom he'd left drugged in his office. Todd knew where he was, and apparently, had rounded up a few guards to come and fetch him.

       "It'll be okay Councilor," Amok smiled. He looked up to the Healer. "Renata, could you please see to the Councilor? He has people in serious need of some calm right now."

       "I'd be happy to," Renata smiled sweetly, her eyes banked golden fires.

       "I think Councilor Sanderson would do a better job of representing his people from his home world," Enderheim said. "what do you think Amok?"

       "I try not to think," Amok eyed his glass of whiskey. "Every time I do, something else blows up. But as far as Sanderson goes, I'm inclined to agree."

       Swaggart shook his head grimly. "Leave him to me. This is my fight. I will take care of it."

       "Sorry Councilor," Amok shook his head. "I've already asked someone to convince Sanderson that he would be better off on his homeworld. We don't need you sidelined or distracted. Like the rest of us, you have too much on your plate already."

       "But," Swaggart started to protest.

       "Such as the fact that that asteroid was in exchange for our privacy." Amok droned, staring down in his glass. He looked over and regarded Swaggart with a stony unblinking stare. "Do we have our privacy?"

       "No," Swaggart replied in a grim tone, staring back. "Are my people safe? From yours?"

       "No," Amok held up his glass and looked deeply into the amber liquid. "None of us are safe. Not any more."

 

                                                                            .....................................................................

1