Last light once more(41)
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After another trek through the streets of the maze known as Last light city, Han Bei found himself in front of a cheap tavern. This trip was considerably more expensive as Han Bei paid 3 whole spirit stones. " Because the city becomes more complex the further you go inside, " his guide, a young woman, explained.

" She sure can lie with a straight face, " Han Bei thought as he looked at the familiar buildings that he saw for the first time when he moved from the city gate toward the market. After he declined several offers from his guide, some that could be described as indecent and rather tempting while others outright degenerate he was finally led to his destination.

Han Bei looked at the flimsy wooden door in front of him and he could smell the cheap booze and the stale food on the other side. A yellowed plaque was nailed to it that read " Grinning skeleton." Han Bei winced at the second word and already felt it was a bad idea to come. Still, he entered the tavern in search of answers for questions he probably shouldn't ask.

There were 2 things he could praise about the Grinning skeleton. " It's pretty close to the city gate so I won't have to pay for a guide to leave this hell hole, " was the first, and the second was, " It's so damn bleak inside, thank the Heavens it isn't bright otherwise my eyeballs might just melt out of my eye sockets. "

Han Bei closed the door with a relieved sigh and he was approached by a waitress a moment later." Welcome to the Grinning skeleton, how may we serve you? " said a short ratling beast-born girl, in a rather unenthusiastic manner. There was nothing unusual about the girl. Her height reached up to Han Bei's chest, her figure was slim and pleasant to the eye, while her complexion was fair without any blemishes. She almost looked entirely human. Almost. Her origin was unmistakable as shoulder-length gray hair covered 2 stubby rat ears and a simple green tavern dress covered her tail. One some worlds she would have to treat Han Bei with utmost courtesy, on others Han Bei would have to watch how he speaks. On Myris nobody seemed to give a crap.

Without much thought, Han Bei asked, " Can I find the man by the name of Lecter Mann? " The ratling girl frowned and what little decorum she had slipped from her face, " So you're here to find that asshole, and to think I actually thought that you're a customer? "

" Is there a problem? " Han Bei sighed as he began to fear that even something as simple as this will turn into a headache. " None, it's just a waste because bastards like you never buy anything, " the waitress explained. Han Bei smiled, " Then I'll be sure to meet your expectations little sister, and not spend of my wealth here, as well. " The ratling girl snorted, " Follow after me. "

Han Bei stepped after the snarky waitress and after he passed a very old folding screen the tavern's interior was revealed to him. He looked to the left and saw a bar counter that occupied 90% of the wall, the last 10% occupied by a wooden door that led to some other room. Behind the counter stood a large man with a dirty apron that smirked at Han Bei with a mean eye and Han Bei saw green shine from his mouth.

He turned to the right and there the rest of the rather large room was split into private cubicles, each one furnished with a large wooden table and 4 chairs around it. He counted around 20 cubicles in total and most of them were full. While most of the customers acted subdued Han Bei noticed that cups filled with cheap ale and wine cluttered the majority of the tables.

The waitress guided him past all the people to another door, one located opposite to the entrance. The people glared at Han Bei and silently murmured as he passed by. He sent his spirit sense over the room and once he found none that had reached 2nd realm with a snort he ignored their gazes and whispers. Still, the Grinning skeleton didn't seem like the kind of place that received many customers. " Is there some sort of festival going around? " he asked. " You could say that, " the ratling girl answered. " Old bastard Wei Lung finally died. "

Han Bei's expression became. Uncomfortable. " Was he particularly hated? " The ratling waitress shook her head, " Not really. But he was strong, and now he's dead that's reason enough to celebrate " He turned his eyes toward the people filling their gullets with cheap wine with an unkind look but he looked back at himself with shame a moment later. " My behavior was far more disgraceful than theirs, that's why I'm here so that I wouldn't be forced to repeat such dishonor ever again. "

Han Bei didn't have to endure the atmosphere much longer as the pair finally reached the door. Unlike everything else Han Bei had seen of the tavern, this door was of higher quality, built to endure and impress. It was made of metal and colored in gold it was reminiscent of the ever-present golden light outside, while ornamental engravings of gentle winds and beautiful flowers gave it a character of its own. The ratling waitress twisted a rose-colored doorknob and motioned Han Bei through. He entered without much ceremony and wondered what kind of a soul he would find inside. The waitress didn't follow and instead wordlessly shut the door.

Once inside Han Bei hid any kind of emotion behind a mask of indifference but only moments later his face scrunched up in a frown. A sweet sickly smell pervaded the room and as Han Bei looked around he counted no less than 3 incense burners. It was like Han Bei had entered a different world once he passed through the gaudy door.

The walls were lined up with aromatic candles that light up the room with a pink light. Furs of exotic and beautiful animals that had no business of being on Myris covered the floor while the middle of the room was furnished with silk couches and glass tables in eye-catching colors.

In each corner of the room, he found a pair of ivory cabinets upon which priceless jade vases were placed. The wall in front of him was covered in a tapestry that depicted clear white clouds found on many worlds. For a moment he remembered his homeworld. " How long has it been since I've seen a clear blue sky. I might have been on Myris for a bit longer than a month, but it feels like I've been away from home for decades. "

A cough suddenly interrupted Han Bei's reminiscence and he swept his gaze over the room. To his right, there was a large ornamental table colored the blue of the sky. Behind it sat a man surrounded by scrolls and books. The man was good-looking and with shoulder-length blonde hair. His features were sharp and refined with thin lips and slightly narrow hawk-like eyes. He wore a pink robe that fit well with the aesthetic of the room.

Han Bei slightly bowed his head, both in greeting and as an apology for his behavior. The man, Lecter Mann, didn't return the gesture, instead, he just stared at Han Bei until he suddenly spoke." What was your name again, the one that fucked over the skeleton manor? Was it Zombie, no it was Corpse, right? It was Corpse. "

Han Bei slightly narrowed his eyes. " At least I don't need to bother and be polite. " He spoke loudly but calmly. " Good, it seems you have some skill fellow cultivator so maybe it wasn't a waste of time to find you in this hell hole. " The information seller arrogantly smiled, " I'm no fellow to the likes of you but that's true enough. " Lecter's way of speaking sparked a suspicion inside Han Bei's mind and he quickly figured it out. " You're a deva huh, no wonder you're so fucking arrogant. " His first instinct was to leave, usually dealing with the pompous pricks was nothing but a waste of time. But as he looked at the arrogant man he wondered if there perhaps was some actual skill behind all that confidence.

Han Bei tested out his suspicion. " Ever heard of the Demonic fingers? " The arrogant deva's smile didn't waver. " You mean Den To, Ha Ling, Co Fan, and the poor Wei Lung that you slaughtered. Sure I've heard of them. " Despite the mention of the Lord of the bones, Han Bei smiled. He approached Lecter and placed his hands on the fancy blue table. " Good, good I want information on all of them, their arts, the places they frequent and the forces under their command. "

The cocky deva, nodded, " Sure I can get you all of that but it will cost you a lot of shinies. " Han Bei nodded,
" I expected that, so what? " Lecter Mann smiled like a devil, " So how about you do a job for me instead and... " Han Bei extended his arm and interrupted the information broker, " I'm no mercenary and I'm not your errand boy, I'll pay for your services. "

The blonde man probably not used to being rejected snorted, " Hmph! Fine, 3000 spirit stones. " Now it was Han Bei's turn to become agitated, " Why in the name of Heaven do you need so many spirit stones, that's enough to but a decent rank 2 spirit treasure? " The arrogant deva insisted," They are pretty big names. " Han Bei also didn't budge, " If they are so big it shouldn't be hard to find them. " Lecter Mann remained stubborn " There is more to it than that. 3000 spirit stones and that's final, I'll even be kind and reveal you the information about one of them for 700 spirit stones, but if you can't get even that much there are other arrangements we can make."

Han Bei let a sliver of blood lust taint his presence and stared straight into Lecter's eyes, the information seller didn't seem like much of a fighter yet his gaze remained unwavering. Han Bei laughed, loudly and clearly. He liked eyes like these. Corpse spoke with a smile on his face yet his word still oozed with aggression. " Fine, I'll get you your damn stones. But if I find out you're lying I'll shove each spirit stone down your throat one by one. " For a moment Lecter was taken aback by the predatory smile but he regained his footing a moment later. " Just get me my payment, and you'll get what you need."

That wicked grin didn't leave Han Bei's face until he left the room, where his face turned back to something more calm and tolerable. He didn't tarry for too long inside the Grinning skeleton, but despite the constant irritation he felt inside Last light, there were still things he had to check. He trusted his own gut, but he was no beast. His instincts could be wrong. There were ways to check if Lecter Mann was honest. Han Bei's face formed into a small smile as he remembered the deva. " Pompous bastards the lot of them. "

Han Bei squinted as he tried to look through the cover of the golden light at the starry sky. It has been said that every star under the night sky is under the dominion of the Far Heaven empire, ruled by the Deva Emperor and his 4 Heavenly kings. " Nothing but hogwash, " he thought.

Han Bei snorted and walked away not quite in a good mood but still amused. It was several hours, spirit stones and hours of burned eyes later that he left the city. Somewhat unsurprisingly Han Bei found out that the price requested by the deva bastard was not as unreasonable as it seemed at first. Any other information broker, that didn't reek of cheap lies or looked like a charlatan, Han Bei had sought out either requested a similar amount or outright refused to disclose any information about the Demonic fingers. Still, it wasn't as if it was a total waste, there was an interesting tidbit of information that he managed to find.

The Fang clan, the undead royalty, due to some historic dispute was absolutely abhorred on Myris and he had little doubt that any member of that hated clan would be killed on sight if found. Han Bei briefly mused if it was perhaps some divine fate that he landed on Myris. " Perhaps it's my destiny to topple the damn bastards, perhaps that's why I'm here. " He shook his head in a self-mocking dismissal and made his way to the closest thing he had to a home. His stride a bit more confident and his path a bit more direct.

0