Court that Saman
61 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Life comes with those frayed edges and scratches, what counted still held a steady rhythm within.

The softest colors of nature, the delicate browns and the sky that deepens to show us the stars, it is an earthiness that lasts a lifetime.

I had my fair share of what to expect and what not to, but whenever I recalled that faithful day, I never expected it would bloom like this.

I met Argus when I was seven, perhaps to him at that time I was just another kid.

He and his mother was walking beside the seashore happily watching the sunset. As to why they came here at Lumin's Tribe, that I do not know.

That day, I sneaked away from the Alipin's Grounds and for the first time, saw the outside of our cage.

Most of the kids my age inside that cage were clueless. But I'm different from them!

My Mother would often tell me short stories and I often wondered why we do not do it.

I had a lot of questions and until now, still the ever curious kid.

So when I went out, some of my questions got answered.

I explored the edges of that cage, many warriors were busily patrolling the entire place.

Nervousness would always crept me whenever I see one.

Then, when I successfully escaped their patrol, I ventured to the forest.

Then to the end of it, I breathed  the cold breeze and refreshing scent of the sea.

I wondered why, we are not allowed to see this pretty place.

Time passed, I almost forgot that the sun was about to die when I noticed the sky was dimly bright. And so I immediately went back.

On my way, I saw a kid of my age walking beside his mother.

I hid myself above a tree. Then, moments later, I heard his mother angrily yelling at Argus.

Then Argus sat at the sand grumpily pouting.

I thought he must be a bad kid that his mother yelled at him. I remembered that I have to go back now, and probably would be yelled too like how that young kid got yelled.

But an accident occurred, I lost my footing. My feet slid down from a rock that was pinned at the cracks of the tree's branch from which I was stepping and I fell head first...

Rolling down towards the sand, Argus noticed me.

Without hesitation he helped me to stand up.

I confessed that I had been stalking him for a while, but according to him: he did not mind.

Thus we talked for a while, learned that it was because he had bitten our Datu's feet after our Datu disrespectfully touched his mother.

I applauded him for that. Perhaps our Datu fancied his mother.

At that time, it was my first time talking with a boy at my age, we kids at the cage would just labor whole day then sleep for the night so we did not have the luxury to have this leisure talk.

At first I got envy with how Argus had a different life based on his stories.

But soon learned that he had a lot of worries, unlike us who only had to worry if we did our task right.

Then, like a baby who just tasted a milk, I craved to talk more with this boy in front of me.

But I noticed the sky, now dark. I had to leave.

I stood up and asked that boy's name.

He said: "Just call me Argus." the boy shyly smiled, he had that cute lovable pair of squinty eyes.

And I thought: "The brightness of his cheeks would shame those stars."

Now that same boy whom I met years ago is inviting me to conquer lands.

Different from that adorable talk we had, now is a serious talk that perhaps could determine my future.

Contemplating earnestly I shook my head and politely answered.

"There is no way that a tribe's Leader can be easily replaced. And even if you could... you could..."

I stammered to even say that word, but I swallowed a gut to complete my sentence

"Re- replace... the Datu, how do you expect people of this land to follow you?"

When Miguel heard this he learned the lingering nervousness of Toto he laughed

"Relax! I did not ask you to kill the Datu Haha"

Toto and probably all the Alipin in this place thought the same. He thought "This would be difficult."

But he still had a few ideas of his own so he smiled wryly and replied...

"That's simple, there is this truthiness that applies to any era, truth that is acceptable from everywhere: People are ruled with fear, but if you only ruled through fear, there will come a day that such tactic would loose its powers. Only when you earned everyone's respect would people truly give you power."

Without waiting for Toto to reply Miguel continued to speak "The other thing is that when the Datu does not have a heir for his position he could then decide to whom he can offer his position, of course it should be someone of the same class from that Datu."

Miguel smiled for a pause then he stretched his arms "We have to ascend from our class, if you are too scared to even kill that Datu. It would be a long grind!"

Toto exclaimed "Heavens! The last thing you said seems to be a lot more possible that the others!"

Miguel finally breathed a sigh of relief, talking just for a bit after waking up had exhausted him this much "See? There is no way we are to become forever a slave! Only complacency does! So tell me more about the Datu."

Toto hurriedly speak " The Datu of this tribe had lost from the previous war against one of the three most powerful tribes of this area and his only son died from the battle, the Datu now, only have his daughter—Our Dearest Saman, Talia."

Miguel scratched his head and suddenly this Ex-General thought of a Plan!

"I suddenly thought of a wicked plan on how we are to be freed from slavery! Haha"

Miguel smiled mysteriously, "Say, if I am to court that Saman and then prove my worthiness to that Datu and lead these people to glory. Would that qualify as a sound plan? Hehe "

Miguel asked Toto, brimming with confidence.

And when Toto heard this, he could not help but burst into laughter

"Pfft! Good luck with that! Hahaha!"

Toto thought "If you only knew how bad of a shell that Saman was."

Then, both Miguel and Toto heard a growl.

It came from Toto.

It was time for them to eat their dinner.

 

=======

...

.

.

.

To Be Continued...

1