Chapter 5: Beginning the First Day
1.9k 1 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up in the morning alone. I lazily stretch and get up. Yesterday so much happened it was overwhelming. Even though it was technically 1,000 years, to me I died, revived, was told I stole a young woman’s appearance, finalized a contract with a legendary spirit king who happens to be my ascended contracted spirit, and got told I am a king of spirit king myself now. I turn onto my belly with my face on the pillow. Today’s plan was that I will get introduced to the town and be taught how to actually interact, as a fellow human rather than a slave. Not that I was ever treated poorly, but I never did much talking. Really I just took the orders and completed them. What am I supposed to say to these people I am supposed to meet? I don’t know them, and I haven’t done anything for them, so why would they want to talk to me? I roll over again, this time to my side. It would be so nice if I could just stay in bed this entire day. There is just too much for me to think about alreadyyy. Just as I am about to pull the covers over my face, Sif excitedly opens the door, “Rooobiiin, time to get up! Breakfast will get cold and everyone wants to talk to you!” 

Ugggghhh, I reluctantly get up, gather my mana and say “Instant dress, item 3,” activating a very useful spell called instant dress. Basically, when I was stuck in my workshop forever, I thought it was a pain to have to take time to change for everything, so I crafted a system to let me change clothes instantly. All my clothes are enchanted to be bound to my arcane dresser, which is attuned to my mana. I enchant any clothes I am given with the formation to link it to the dresser, and when I cast my instant dress spell the dresser draws upon mana from my workshop’s mana reservoir to replace my clothes that I have on. Also, in case you were wondering, I did not walk to town naked. I forgot to mention it, but when I came to my senses after collapsing upon my rebirth I did use this skill to put on my default comfy clothes. 

Stepping into the dining room, I sit at an empty chair. Rolf is nowhere to be seen, with Claire and Sif sitting at the table, and Tala finishing up whatever she is cooking. Claire and her mother look pretty tired, not to mention a little out of it. Sensing my gaze, Claire whispers to me, “We stayed up late last night, talking about how I was led into Spirit Forest, met you and Sif, and what we plan on doing. It was exhausting since most of it was just a lot of ‘I don’t know’ and ‘I can’t say’ since Lady Sif went to bed with you.”

Oh. Of course it wouldn’t have ended so simply with me going to bed, they just probably didn’t want to talk in front of the strangers. Tala approaches and hands me a plate of scrambled eggs and sliced fruit before sitting down as well, saying, “We have had a very long, tedious, and ambiguous talk on who you are that continued through the night until Sif came to explain. Now I know Claire wants to take you to the closest guild and get you registered, the rest of us agreed that it would be better for you to spend some time here first. It doesn’t need to be long, maybe a week or less, but it would be best for you to try supporting yourself here first, where we can all help, and people will be more understanding. Sif tells us that you are a blacksmith of great skill, while I can’t claim to be very knowledgeable about the craft, I can introduce you to our village smith. He is a friendly guy who can tell you how much your crafts can go for so you won’t be cheated later.” 

Sif starts to say, “She won’t be cheated, I will be accompanying her! I-” 

Cutting her off, Tala finishes, “have been in the forest for decades and have no clue about the outside world anymore, you were going to say. A lot happens in the 50 years someone gives in service to the spirits. So once you’re done with breakfast the four of us will go on a nice walk to Tarkin’s place, and we will be able to see just how good a girl trained by spirits is, and the value of her goods.”

Even though I know they don’t know how good I am, I can’t help but be smug and anticipate the look on their faces when they see my completed works. “So lets get to it! Also, where do I put the bowl?” Tala takes the bowl, and I see mana gather into her hands. She chants, “Purify this object such that no taint remains, Purify!” Nice to know that basic spell is still here. I used it all the time in place of setting up a station to wash things in. Seeing the mana move across the plate in a wave eliminating the remnants of food reminds me of the odd state of existence I am in. If I did become a spirit like being, why was I able to sleep last night, and why was I still hungry in the morning? Ah well, I will just have to ask Sif later.

“Come, I will guide you to Tarkin’s. Robin, be ready for people tol probably stare a lot, seeing how you have a very unusual hair color and look just like Claire. Everyone in this town knows each other so they will all be curious to how her apparent identical twin appeared out of nowhere.” And stare they did. Walking across the village there were lots of people lazing outside of their houses, whispering to each other as my group walked by. Possibly sensing my discomfort, Tala starts describing life in the village, “Life here is very simple. Most of us tend to the fields by the river or the orchards near the forest. Though we do have some coin from the surrounding kingdoms, we mostly make do with just bartering, if we even need to. The only established shop is Tarkin’s place. His family has been here for generations as the town’s blacksmith. He mainly makes and repairs home and farm tools, though he does keep a stock of weapons to hand to those who decide to leave the village.”

“If his family has stayed in the village for generations, how would he even know the value of stuff?” I ask.

Claire chuckles, “They have to leave the village and go out thats why. As a coming of age ceremony, the young adults of that family leave for a few years and work at other kingdoms before deciding if they want to come back. And you’re in luck, cause the whole family came back for the festival, so someone there knows the current prices.”

Arriving at a house with an outdoor forge beside it, I am filled with both nervousness and excitement. Hoping that my change in stature won’t affect me too much, I debate on what I should craft as a test. Still deliberating, Tala meanwhile knocks on the door and yells, “Tarkin, we have a favor to ask!” To which a well built middle aged man with greying hair opens the door. “I heard ya Tala, geez, what’s got ya comin to me so early after da festival?” His eyes grow wide as he sees me. “And when little Claire get a twin?!” I sigh, here goes the nonsense again.

58