Chapter 9: Lightning Speed Tackle
1.6k 6 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Getting up, I am hit with a pang of hunger. I look around and see Tarkin. “You don’t happen to know if there’s any food around, do you Tarkin?” The large man laughs, “Just realizin’ now that ya skipped lunch? Not that I blame ya, ‘cause I get the same way! Claire and the boys went to find the rest of me kids to bring ‘em lunch. Tala and me wife made a bunch o sandwiches for everyone, there should be some inside. But are ye fine with carrying a sword that sharp ‘round? Ya not ganna make a sheath?”

Hmm, how to tell him I was just going to take one from my workshop before we go. Since the weapons I make are so effective, normal sheaths cannot contain them without eventually breaking. The sheathes I make have durability and self repair functions built in, but the real trick is a suspension magic that leaves a constant space between the edges and tip of the sword and the sheath so the sword doesn’t tear through. I always have a number of plain sheathes ready so that they can be decorated in the heraldry and taste of the noble who would get it, which is handy now that I want a plain case. I also need to go back so I can adjust my hauberk since it would take ages to make a new one. I guess I can take advantage of the story Sif made up to explain.

“Well, I have sheaths I left at where I practiced my craft before, I just need to go back and grab one.” Upon which his joyful demeanor is replaced by a serious gaze, “I wouldn’t recommend that lass. Da Spirit Forest ain’t ta be messed with. You was livin’ with a caretaker before, and she ain’t one no more. If ya decide on makin’ a sheath, I have da materials for it ‘ere. Sif, ya need ta do a better job parenting. Can’t ‘ave yur kid gettin’ ‘erself killed! Anyways, lets get ya two a sandwich.” Sif and I exchange a wry smile at the acceptance of our little lie and follow the smith into his house through the forge entrance.

On a table by the wall there is a large plate with two sandwiches remaining. Tarkin gesture’s to the plate, “Yur free ta eat ‘ere if ya want, or ya can go join me kids at waterfall lake. Me boys be trying to impress their ladies with da sights.” Curious to explore, I respond, “I would love to see more of the mountain. Thank you for letting me use your workshop Mr. Tarkin.” Tarkin grins and replies, “Well, no need ta thank me lass. Ol’ Rolf be hunting something fer dinner, so we all are ganna be ready fer ‘nother feast.”

I smile and nod, leading Sif out of the house. After walking to the village edge, I ask, “Sif, do you know how to get to where everyone is?” After all, I have no clue where I am going.

“Yes of course Master, I will lead the way.”

Walking in silence for a bit, I finish my sandwich and ask, “Sif, you said I am like a spirit now right? Why do I still get hungry?”

Sif pauses, turning to me unsure how to answer, “I don’t exactly know, but I can guess. You are not a naturally formed elemental spirit like the rest of us, so you can’t feed off the natural mana of your element. In addition, as with most mortals, soul and body are bound, so it is only natural that even after becoming a spiritual lifeform you still require food. I should tell you though, after gaining bodies the five of us are able to live on food as well, letting us explore places we normally would not be able to exist at naturally in spirit form. That is ignoring the fact that if a spirit is in a contract they can draw mana from their contractee. In fact, some of us took advantage of this. Your fire spirit took an ocean cruise, your water spirit escorted a caravan through the desert, and your wind spirit took a tour through the dwarven under empire. Not that they ever stopped looking for someone who could revive you!”

I laugh at her panic that I may see the others as abandoning me. “That’s fine. I am glad they were able to go out and explore. I couldn’t take them anywhere after all.”

“It's ok master, we knew what we were getting into when we made a contract with you. I am sure the res- what!?”

We both sense a massive presence moving towards us at a speed I thought was impossible. Before either of us can react, I am tackled to the floor. Nuzzling my face is a short purple haired cat-kin girl. Frozen by this sudden turn of events, I am brought out of my shock by Sif who yells, “Lightning spirit, I will forgive you this once since it's been so long, but get off our mistress!” Now that Sif mentioned it, I feel a connection with this girl, the contract we have established, I was just shocked after being tackled to notice. 

The cat-kin gets up reluctantly, but quickly speaks in excitement, “Master! I felt your revival through our bond! I decided to rush over as fast as possible so I would get here first! Not counting of course a certain stationary Spirit King over there who leaves all the work to her subordinates.”

For the first time, I see the first marks of annoyance on Sif’s face as she rebuttals, “Excuuuuse me, but all of you decided to set off and look for a compatible mage all on your own leaving no one behind to look after Master, and look, I was the one who succeeded in the end. Also, because of that, I am the first of us to be named. You can call me Sif lightning spirit.” 

The cat-kin looks at Sif then at me then back to Sif before whining, “But that's not faaaaiiir. We were supposed to be named at the same time when Master revived!”

Sif humphs, “You think we could’ve still done that with the two fire and water spirits off running their own little nations? I bet you traveled back here so fast so you can be with Master and fulfill your contract without needing to bother with those two.” 

The Lightning Spirit King playfully sticks her tongue out at Sif and admits, “Maaaybe, but that’s not the point! I thought you’d at least wait for me then I could convince you to let us get our names first!” Turning to me, she begs, “Master, I’ve waited for a thousand years, what is my name?”

Oh boy, another name on the spot, I should really think of some ideas for the rest of them. I debate telling her I want to think it through, but upon seeing her puppy dog (kitten?) eyes, I decide to think of something. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any special myth at the moment, but I do remember the night we met.

60