Chapter 15: Traveling Dangers
1.3k 8 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having been traveling down the mountain path in quiet suffering and Lyn and I listen to the magic lecture going on between Sif and Claire for several hours, I am pleasantly surprised when Sif stops talking and halts us. The good stops there are Sif’s next words fill me with dread.

“Master, how do you want to proceed? I sense a group of about fifteen individuals in hiding about 8 minutes ahead. Lyn and I could take care of them now, but if you want to gain some combat experience this would be a good opportunity.”

Warily I respond, “I don’t know, I was thinking I would register at the guild first and train a bit with the sword. I know basic spells, but those are all just for crafting, I don’t know how effective they will be in combat without the assistance of you and Lyn. Claire, you’re the adventurer, what do you think? I already know Lyns reply.”

Lyn, who I know was about to tell us to just jump into combat, looks at me dejected at denying her opportunity to even present her opinion. Meanwhile Claire explains her opinion, “I think we should fight. I assume you have never fought before Robin, so going in knowing what to expect would be best. We can have either Lyn or Sif stay hidden to protect you from any stray attacks while the rest of us fight. Even if you don’t end up actually doing anything, being exposed to danger like this will be something you have to get used to if you want to travel. I don’t know how secure the world of your time was, but the roads are dangerous now. Armies typically are garrisoned along the borders of countries and the safety of the countryside and roads are left to adventurers. Unless a bandit or monster camp gets big enough to potentially overtake a town, the armies of this time ignore them.”

Indeed, that is very different. I affirm her, “Ya, that is extremely different from how it used to be. From what I know, the empire controlled the entire continent and was able to focus its soldier’s into maintaining order, so something like the adventurer’s guild didn’t exist.”

Claire continues, “Well, it’s not that we adventurers don’t do a good job, it’s just that because we operate on a request based system that not everything gets handled. Sometimes there’s just no one willing or able to take the job. Take these bandits for example, there's 15 of them. An ordinary adventuring party is made up of 4 to 6 people, but to take on a big group such as these bandits multiple parties would have to unite, which would cause issues when the leaders discuss who is ultimately in charge and how the reward is divided. Towns typically have their own local guard, but merchants often will hire multiple parties to guarantee their safety, and even then most of the time merchants will pay a tribute to big bandit groups to pass through safely.”

Clearing her throat, she continues “I got off track a bit. I think we should fight. I have no doubt we will make it out because of the Spirit Kings, but you can sleep on how you want to proceed after experiencing the dangers of travel. Robin, from what I’ve seen you are kind, and you can’t blame yourself for what will happen to people like these bandits.”

Sif buts in, “Indeed Master, in fact after every bi centennial festival there are always these types of unsavory people looking to ruin it’s reputation.” 

I see Claire raise her eyebrows in surprise as Sif continues, “You have never heard of them because we spirits always have always eliminated the ones who directly try to harm anyone after the festival. Since most nobles are rejected, it is fairly common for them to hire unsavory individuals in a fit of ‘If I can’t benefit then no one can.’ The ones we leave are the typical ones who try to charge a toll, though this time we waited for Master to make the decision.”

All eyes turn to me, making me reply nervously, “Well, are these the toll type ones? Maybe we can just pay them a bit.”

“Yes, they are. If that is your choice, we will negotiate with them.”

Claire chimes in a warning, “Do note, a sword as fancy as yours will probably be demanded. Since we don’t actually have much money and they vastly outnumber us, it’s not uncommon for bandits to demand gear. Most of them don’t have real weapons or armor, so it's entirely possible they will demand our chainmail and swords.”

NEVER. I refuse to let bandits take any creation of mine, even if they wouldn’t be able to use it. “I won’t let bandits ever take my creations. So we fight. Sif, Lyn, don’t help me with spell construction, I need to see how I will do under stress.” I have heard stories of how novice mages die because they freeze or fumble their spells when facing danger. I need to see if I have it in me to travel in this new world. “Claire, you’re the veteran adventurer. How do you propose we approach this.”

Taking in my determination, Claire nods solemnly, “Very well. I think Sif should stay hidden and guard Robin. Lyn can be our primary attack at the front. I can pretend to cast lightning arena and she can leave some out for us to fight . Me and you will stay at a distance and bombard them with spells. Since I will pretend to be casting, they will rush at us to stop the arena and free their companions. Sif, I trust you can protect us and stop a potential forest fire?”

Sif nods in affirmation, while Lyn asks, “So how many do you want me to divert? Because I can let one or two head after you and take the rest.”

“Preferably only one so Robin gets a taste of combat. Since she doesn’t know any offensive spells except the basics, we will stick with fire spells since they’re the easiest. Wind takes a lot of practice to learn how to shape the spells, and we don’t have time to practice the three steps to using earthen projectiles that aren’t just balls of mud. Do you know firebolt? I saw you use flamethrower before.”

I shake my head, “Yes, but I never needed to hit a moving target. I only ever needed to light fires or create focused heat.”

Frowning, Claire compromises, “You can use flamethrower then, but know the enemy will have to be closer. Just pour mana into your flamethrower spell when the person gets to about the same distance aaaas-” she points to a tree with a bunch of mushrooms growing on it, “that mushroom tree over there. You have to make sure to start early ish, because determined people can power through the flamethrower if you cast it too slowly, interrupting the spell by force when they are close enough. Not that it will come to that, but at least this is easier than trying to hit a moving target with projectiles. Everyone ready?”

We all nod. Time to see if I have the strength of will needed in this new era.

46