Chapter 22: Challenge
942 6 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While walking to the courts behind the guild building, the guild gentleman explains, “The guild generally doesn’t interfere in the affairs of its adventurer’s, but we know that fights will break out. So it is policy that when people or parties cannot peacefully agree they will settle their differences by combat, with a member of the guild administration staff serving as witness. Whatever stakes were set are then upheld by the guild, in addition to the guild punishing any hidden retaliation by either party. Before the battle starts, both sides will formally declare their demands for the combat.”

We walk outside to find a dirt field surrounded by stone walls. The guild officer walks straight ahead while Claire leads us to the left side of the field. She quietly tells us, “I know you guys can win right away, but why not use this opportunity to train Robin?” Turning to me she continues, “You have a grasp on how powerful to make the earth arrows, so just use that technique but with blunted tips. Use the same power that you made that didn’t pierce the first layer, as that should be enough to beat down someone. Hell, if you knock up the head with that it’ll probably be enough to knock them out or at least daze them and knock them down.”

I nod while Lyn chimes in, “Ok, but let me take on the silver rank dude. You can take down the rest, Master.”

“Sure, I can do that.” I reply, “Sif, if any get too close and I freeze up, take over. And if you see me overdoing it again, please stop me. Knock me down or something, I don’t want to destroy anything.” 

She nods, serious, “Don’t worry Master, I will not let them harm you nor let you kill them.”

Team sleazeball (now fully awake) takes up a stance at the far end of the field, weapons drawn. Sleazeball #2 (the apparent silver ranked guy) stands in front and declares, “Our side demands a sincere apology from these newbies who so arrogantly attacked their seniors. To make this similar to how my friends were beaten up, the silver rank mage has to just watch, to feel the same powerlessness I did when I walked in to see four of my friends unconscious.”

Claire steps forward for us and demands, “And should we win we never wish to be bothered by you again, and you will forever after make way for us in all situations, be it from taking a request from the board or entering a tavern.” She steps to join the official who is standing at an offset of the center of the space between us, so as not to get in the way. 

The official formally declares, “In my name as the Assistant Guild Master of the Mountain Gate Adventurer’s Guild Branch, I, Andre, stand witness to this dispute to be resolved by combat. The combat will continue until one side gives up or is unable to fight. Intentionally killing your opponent is prohibited, and I will stop the fight if necessary. Begin!” 

Sleazeball #1 yells at us with a lustful smile as his gang charges us, “When this is over you’ll be screaming like the bitches you are!” 

This time I am not scared nor angry, but strangely indifferent. I calmly and chantlessly picture twenty blunted arrows rising up around me. My mana flows into the earth, a bright white brilliance absorbing into the ground, taking the shape of glowing, blunt arrows hovering around me. I see the bandits *cough* adventurers stare wide eyed at me, yet to their credit they don’t hesitate in their charge. 

Though I was able to form the projectiles chantlessly, I do not have the confidence to shoot them in a controlled mana without the chant, therefore I chant emotionlessly, “Power Stage 1, Earth Arrows, fly.” I picture half of my arrows flying at my opponents with the same force needed to lodge itself into the stage 1 barrier. I designate two per person, one aimed at the head and another at their chest. My arrows fly perfectly, nailing four of my opponents and knocking them out. The only one who survived was Sleazeball #1, who used a metal round shield to deflect my shots.

He yells at me, “Coward! You carry a sword and yet you use magic? Fight me like a warrior and not a privileged little brat!” 

While I know the theory behind swordplay being a blacksmith, my own body has not put in the time to master it, otherwise I would have gladly beat him down so he would have no excuse after losing to me. Unfortunately for him, I am not dumb enough to fold to his provocation. Targeting both his legs in addition to one for both his head and chest again, I chant, “Fly, Earth Arrows”. Trying once again to block my attack on his vitals, my two extra arrows knock his legs out from under him, causing him to fall face first into the dirt. With 6 arrows left, I mercilessly repeat, “Fly, Earth Arrows.” The two arrows miss as instead of trying to get up, he shoves his shield into the ground and rolls to the side. 

I click my tongue in annoyance. Though I can hit moving targets now, the sudden dodge is outside my expectations. I barely get to open my mouth when a voice appears from behind me, “No more games girl.” I feel a woosh and see Sleazeball #2 (the silver) fly over my head. Turning behind me I see a dagger’s tip stuck partway through a wall of earth. Sif must’ve stopped him. Embarrassed, I see Lyn rushing forward to engage the man as I wonder how I didn’t notice him appear behind me.

Knowing there's no time to question things right now, I turn back to my opponent, who has taken this time to right himself and get off the ground. Luckily he hasn’t gone far from where he got up, and I am able to shoot the remaining four shots I have. A little angry at what was clearly a sneak attack meant to maim or kill me, I let loose the remaining four arrows without a chant. This time I released them in a fanlike formation at chest level so he would no matter where he dodges he will get hit. 

I see the man smile as he confidently raises his shield to block, not bothering to dodge. Unfortunately for him, my anger clouded my thinking just enough that I put a lot of force into these shots. Though his shield manages to protect him this time it doesn’t deflect my shot. I can see the nervousness in his eyes as he sees the blunt tips embedded into his shield. 

The ground before me becomes a patchwork mess of holes, forming a field of unsteady footing before me as 20 more arrows rise before me. The man looks rightly terrified, but I am too offended to care. 

I glance over as I see Lyn toying with the silver ranker, completely tying him up but not finishing him off. Turning back to my opponent, I get a hold of my emotions and begin chanting to fire arrows at a safer strength. My voice tinged in anger, I once again specify the strength to solidify the image in my mind, despite wanting to lash out with stronger power, “Power Stage 1, Earth Arrows, fly.” This time I shoot all 20 arrows at once. Four are still aimed at his legs, chest, and head but I let loose two sets of four on both sides of him, completely trapping him regardless of if he jumps or shifts to either side. 

Already forming another set of 20, the ground in front of me now forms a makeshift kill zone of potholes if he tries to rush at me.  He surprises me by willingly dropping into a crouch, hiding his entire body behind his shield. Not intending to let him up, I chantlessly fire off a round of six arrows at him. The arrows each embed themselves in his shield, yet it doesn’t break, proving it is a quality item. 

Unrelenting, I keep peppering his defense until I get an idea. Since he has given up on movement, I change up my plan. “Earth, move at my command, Earth Pit!” The ground beneath him trembles, and before he can get a chance to move the ground below him disappears, letting him fall into the 10 ft deep pit I made just for him. 

Turning to Lyn, I watch as Sleezeball #2 is forced back by a flurry of kicks and punches so perfectly linked it looks like a dance. He notices my gaze and his missing companion before he takes a kick to the chest, knocking him back. He grins at the newformed distance he made, taking the time to stab his finger and smear the blood on the hilt of the dagger, which glows and he disappears. 

Confused for a split second, I notice a shadow form over my head. Crap, his dagger is enchanted with teleportation magic! In slow motion I see the earth around me trying to form a wall, but it will be too slow. Before anything else can happen, I see a flash of purple light, followed by a crash of thunder. The man is blasted back, crashing into the wall of the arena before falling to the ground, unconscious, letting Lyn gently land before me, clad in an intimidating cloak of crackling purple lightning.

37