123. Eliminated
2.4k 17 118
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content warning: violence, blood, death

"You're already familiar with the first one," Siobhan replied. "Sir Colm Mac Cionaoith."

"Of course," I groaned. "I should have guessed he'd be assigned to us."

We were nearly home, and I'd asked Siobhan to tell me what she knew about the two knights who'd been stationed at our castle. My mother hadn't told me any details about them, and I hadn't thought to ask before now.

Padraig was riding up front. He was holding a long pole he'd fashioned from a tall sapling, with my banner aloft and flowing in the wind as we made our way south. Siobhan and I rode side by side behind the young man so we could talk. Kelly and Keira were behind us, listening in on the conversation. And Laoise was at the back, leading the two pack horses.

We ran out of food last night, so none of us had eaten today. Except Merryweather, I assumed they went hunting overnight again so they were probably well fed. The pixie was riding on my left shoulder today, and listening in as well while the captain and I talked.

Kelly commented, "At least with Colm, we all know where we stand."

"And he already knows not to mess with you," Keira added.

I frowned, "Maybe. I'm sure he doesn't like me though, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's happy for the chance to show me up if he can."

Siobhan sighed, "Unfortunately Sir Colm isn't the one I'm worried about. The other knight is a mage."

I stared at her, "What?"

She elaborated, "Sir Niall ó Cuinn is about seven hundred years old, and he is a mage in addition to being a knight. I have no idea how powerful he is, but I know he's the one who brought himself and Colm through the veil so he's strong enough to cross worlds."

That left me with a bad feeling in my stomach, "I wish someone warned me about that sooner. If I'd known there was a mage in the castle I'd have been a lot more careful. Crap."

Kelly pointed out, "Nobody tried to arrest us or even stop us when we left."

"Yeah," I nodded. "Good point."

"So how do we handle things when we get to the castle?" Keira asked.

I thought a moment, then said "We'll stick with the plan. Ride straight up to the gates and in. I'll handle the knights and send them back where they came from. If there's any kind of confrontation, let me take care of it. Stay alert and wary, but don't get involved yet."

"What about me?" Merryweather asked. "What should I do?"

I thought a moment, then replied "At first just stay hidden if you can? I have no idea how people will react to you, but we'll introduce you to everyone when it's safe. So probably not until after we've dealt with the two knights."

They nodded "Very well Tegan, I will stay out of sight until then."

A few minutes after our conversation we rode through the village. This time, with our banner flying and my purple hair on display several of the locals smiled and waved. I waved back, though I was too uptight to smile much.

Knowing I'd likely be going up against a mage very soon left me a little worried. I was confident I could beat any mage in Otherworld, but it changed the dynamic. It put my companions at greater risk. And I worried for my parents. There was only so much a pair of knights could do against an entire castle, but I already knew what a mage could do in that position.

Not long after we passed the village, the spires of castle Brádaigh came into view. I wanted to feel happy, elated to be returning home after our voyage. Instead I just felt apprehensive and worried. I also felt a growing unease, knowing very soon I'd have to start breaking my own rules.

"Kelly, Keira," I glanced back at them. "Be ready with shield spells, and magic defence spells. If I have to fight the mage, I need you two to keep everyone safe."

"Understood," Kelly replied.

Padraig kept my banner flying high, and I knew the lookouts must have seen us by now. I could even see guards along the tops of the wall watching us. Nobody was waving though. And I hadn't spotted my mother yet, or my father. I was sure they'd have been notified as soon as we were seen approaching.

"They might be wary," Siobhan suggested. "It's not a Brádaigh pennant, so they may not be sure who exactly we are."

I could hear the uncertainty in her voice, she didn't quite believe what she was saying. The banner was very close, and the fact that me and the twins were highly recognizable from a distance made me think at least someone on the castle wall would know us.

The main gates opened as we approached, so the six of us could ride straight in.

We passed through the gates and came to a halt in the middle of the courtyard. Once we were all in, the gates were closed again behind us. There were no soldiers and bearers to greet us. No-one helped us dismount or took care of the horses. The six of us sat on our horses alone in the middle of the courtyard.

Across from us, standing between us and the main doors of the castle were the two knights. I recognized Colm of course. I didn't know the other man, but I knew he was a knight thanks to the royal blue patch on his jacket. He was a little shorter than Colm, and older of course. He looked to be in his fifties, in human terms. He had short reddish-brown hair, brown eyes, and fair skin. He was clean-shaved, and looked very sure of himself.

Colm was exactly like I remembered. He was tall, slim, sort of attractive in a ruggedly handsome way. His short dark blond hair had a slight curl to it, and he had some stubble on his face.

Both knights were armed, with swords and knives on their belts.

The only other people in the courtyard were Captain Gaelen and two dozen Brádaigh archers, arranged to the right of Colm and Niall. The archers all had bows in hand, arrows set on the strings. It was obviously meant to be a threatening display, we were outnumbered three to one, facing two knights of the realm and twenty-one of our own clannmates.

There was no sign of my mother or father at all.

I moved my horse forward a couple steps so I was in front of my companions. Padraig was behind me on my right, still holding my banner high. Siobhan was behind me on my left. Kelly and Keira directed their horses out to either side so they had a full view of the situation. Keira was to the right of Padraig, Kelly to the left of Siobhan. And Laoise was at the back. I had no idea where Merryweather was, they'd vanished entirely before we came in through the gates.

"That's quite a bold entrance Lady Tegan," Sir Colm stated. "Considering when you were last here you were very careful to stay out of sight."

Before I could respond he continued, "Tegan Vale by order of the king we are here to take you into custody. In a show of mercy, the king has offered to spare your girlfriends and any other conspirators, if you surrender yourself without incident."

After another brief pause he ordered, "Give up now Lady Tegan, and all your friends go free. If you resist, then their lives will be forfeit."

I forced myself to remain calm as I glanced around the courtyard. I switched on my sight and my magical sense though, just in case. There were more guards on the top of the walls, but they seemed to be just watching. They were armed, but they didn't appear to be part of the group here to challenge us.

Both Colm and Niall had several dark stains in their auras. I figured they'd both had to do a lot of questionable things in their line of work. Niall's was darker though and I wondered if maybe he enjoyed his job a little too much. They were both glorified cops after all.

I fixed my attention on Captain Gaelen next. It was hard to tell from this distance, Gaelen and the archers all stood about twenty meters away from me and my group. I was worried he might be under some sort of control spell but I couldn't see any evidence of magic on him. I couldn't believe he'd attack me or any other clannmates.

"Captain Gaelen," I called to him, "Where are my parents?"

Rather than the captain, it was Sir Niall who answered.

He was almost sneering as he stated, "Maeve, Connor, and the seneschal have all be imprisoned in the castle dungeon. They are guilty of aiding and sheltering wanted fugitives. You were wise to shield yourself from scrying Lady Tegan, but I expected you might. I was watching your mother instead, and witnessed her welcoming you into her castle and conspiring to keep your presence secret."

He added, "If you surrender now, your parents will be released. If not, they will be executed along with the five traitors behind you."

I'd managed to stay relatively calm up until that point. I was tense, it was a dangerous situation, but I'd been mostly calm. Now my heart was racing and my stomach churned. I knew my mother wasn't some fragile delicate flower, but right now she was very pregnant. In her current state I worried any rough handling could harm her child, or at least put her at risk.

Beyond that was the sheer audacity and disrespect of sticking her in her own dungeon. She was a countess, a noblewoman. If they meant to lock her up she should have been placed in a comfortable room in the tower.

I had no doubt everyone could see my emotions play out over my face as I stared at Sir Niall.

There was an uneasy silence in the courtyard, and almost everyone was looking wary as they watched me. Except Niall, who just looked smug.

He stated, "Lady Tegan you know you are in an untenable position. I've heard the stories, I know you are a strong mage. I also know you refuse to use your power for violence. You might be thinking of some peaceful way you could escape, and perhaps that would work. Maybe you're even contemplating a rescue attempt for your parents."

He shook his head, "Whatever it is you're thinking of doing, know this. The moment you try something, your companions will die. I have no qualms about using my magic to kill, and my first targets will be those two pretty redheads behind you. So give up now, and spare the lives of your friends and family. Fight or flee, and their heads will be decorating poles around this castle's walls before the day is out."

I was already prepared to cross my lines, but knowing they put my parents in the dungeon and hearing him threaten to kill my loved ones like that honestly just made it easier. The man sounded almost happy at the prospect.

Sir Niall had barely finished talking when I let my spell go. Black ripples flashed through the air towards him. Not just a handful or a dozen, but thousands of them. Rather just fly in a straight line, the darkness spiralled and arced and closed on him from every angle. From either side, from in front and behind, and even from above.

The dark streaks were on him in a heartbeat, but Niall had been ready. He got his magical shield up just in time to see it blasted to oblivion. A fraction of a second after his defences shattered into a million shards of light, Sir Niall ó Cuinn was no more.

It wasn't even like a normal thousand-blades spell. He wasn't shredded or torn apart, it was more like he simply exploded. One moment a seven-hundred year old fae mage stood there sneering at me, the next moment there was a large irregularly-shaped red stain on the cobblestones with a small crater in the middle where some of the stones had been torn apart by my spell. Even his sword and dagger were gone.

Sir Colm stood a couple meters away from where Niall had been, and he staggered back several more paces in shock. His entire left side was now soaked with what remained of his colleague.

Everyone else was completely motionless, shocked by the ferocity of my spell. My heart was still racing, from adrenaline as well as a dozen emotions all swirling together. For now I let anger be the one to take the forefront.

My eyes stayed on Sir Colm, but I addressed Gaelen first as I shouted "Captain Gaelen! Get my parents out of the dungeon! NOW!"

"Yes Lady!" The captain bowed then scrambled to rush off and release my parents.

Colm finally got over his shock. He glared at me as he opened his mouth to say something.

I cut him off, "Sir Colm if you've left so much as a bruise on my mother, I swear you'll beg for a death as quick as the one you just witnessed."

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

118