Chapter 120: Folly of Chasing 1000-year-old Tomato
52 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Beneath the boiling ground of brigandage, the ominous cyan lights blinked. 

Unexpected variable had entered the algorithm. Recalculating factors to account for emerging deviations and expanding the experiment’s scope.

Processing completed. Deviation acceptable. Variable’s threat level was within the threshold of phase 2. Next course of action — began phase 2.

It happened so fast Rem barely reacted in time.

A burst of light emerged from the forest’s center. A beacon, bright and tall enough to be visible to the whole forest. To the denizen of Phantasia, familiar with treasure hunt and heavenly phenomenon, that golden color light was an indicator for supreme treasure.

Rem knew better. It was a trap. Their opponent finally upped the bet. Rem didn’t even need [Clairvoyance]. Every participant would scramble at the imaginary wealth like ants after sugar cube. Even if Horizon Dawn stopped the initial wave, the greedy survivor would keep coming. A shiny beacon behaved as a discovered check, forcing Rem to the only moves available — toward the endgame.

Stopping information or greed was downright impossible. Their only method was to eliminate the problem at its source even if it translated as marching into an obvious trap.

And thus, Horizon Dawn’s mission objectively received an update.

Guard the parameter. We blow that trap before the participant moved into position. Roast the area if you have to, but we must force the trigger activation before potential casualties mount. Use long ranged attack and proceed with caution. This is a priority.

Hikma disabled the cage.

“I am leaving,” the Chronicler yelled. “Get out of the blast range. That is a bomb!”

He rushed into the forest.

The elves and demons stared into each other eyes.

“Follow him?”

“Yeah, that guy is hiding something,” Amitate Aztellic said greedily. “I don’t care what he got in his Storage Ring, but I know it would be huge.”

“You need to leave,” Luxinna tossed a few medical supplies. “I am going to destroy the source of that light. Get out of here while you can.”

The girls bow their head.

“Thank you, Miss Ace,” one girl declared. “If you have any problem, you could come and find us in the Stone Edge School we will help as much as we could.”

The surviving adventurer bowed to Luxinna before running away.

The elf turned toward the 33 Stars and undid her paralysis.

“You guys must escape the forest. I don’t know what could happen next, but you won’t like it. I know you have recovery potions or something in those rings, so use them and get the hell out, while I am halting the crisis.”

Luxinna disappeared in flashes of lightning.

Alas, the elf’s warning fell to deft ears. Sun Senwei crawled to the ground, bit a recovery pellet, and stormed toward the beacon. Thought of powerful treasure clouded his self-preservation.

Behind him, Aryssa Holyworth and Mamacia Cocogar met eyes and nodded. Cocogar tossed them a pill and Aryssa cast a recovery spell. They needed to recover their peak before attacking the hypothetical treasures.

But bitterest man among the group was Sorin. Avariciously starring at this golden opportunity, Sorin ignored his slaves and swallowed several high-grade regeneration and combat pills. He transformed into a beast of lightning and raced to the center of the forest.

Ancient proverb said that you could drag a cow to a water, but you couldn’t force it to drink. HD could provide a statistical model and mathematical proof of a trap, but the 33 Stars would never abandon their paranoid and ambition for strength in favor of wisdom.

The mastermind’s greatest genius was it realization of Phantasian's most pathetic folly. In Phantasia — where life was treated like glass, and pursued of martial strength worth more than inner peace, caution and wisdom — the behavior of its targets was predictable. Sample sets through historical recorded a consistent trend. Whenever a strange light emerged from the ground or the sky changed color, Phantasia denizen would chase after that light in blind avarice, disregarding every risk and forethought over a possibility of so-called ‘Heaven defying treasure’ that increased their strength. For one-thousand-year-old plant or a rock, an obsessive Phantasia would gladly lie, steal and kill without second thought.

Rem understood how fool-proof the plan was. No matter how much he warned them, the participant would dive blindly to the shiny in the sky for a minor competitive edge in martial prowess. A perfectly simple bait for the herd of wild and stupid tigers.

Of course, Rem had a colorfully worded disdain for these behaviors. In a lecture from the 5th Congress of Hope, Rem clearly explained how and why the blind chase for a miracle natural resource was pointless and suicidal regression for humanity.

Allow me to introduce our policy on natural resource gathering by citing my favorite example: the glorious transformation of Singapore from Third-world to a glorious paradise.

Singapore is a small island nation that once considered a merge with Malaysia. They got no resource, a tiny population and no history — a wreck after a colonization. Now it is the most developed country in the entire region. While late Lee Kuan Yew produced many admirable teaching, my favorite being the removal of communists, his most valiant lesson best represents by how Singapore developed the only — and the most important — asset it has: THE PEOPLE. Singapore fought tooth and nail to train its best and brightest and keep them working in government, while promoting private sectors growth to attract the investment from fuck-tones of multinational. 

As other resource giant still harvested herb field and fought over an insignificant piece of land, Singapore taught a valuable Aesops to humanity which will be our policy on resource from now on: take the million-year-old weed and put it in a box. You only need to research it. The only resource you should be fighting over is your skills. We are super predator. Our kind don’t hunt miracle herbs to create a pill. We learn how the bloody herb worked and synthesized it from homegrown abalone and jellyfish before putting the cleaner product in the supermarket. Let me repeat, the shiny chrome and multicolor glass are clutches, the only resource that could be relied at all times is your bloody head.

Those statements underlined the Dawn’s incredible immunity to riches. Rem built his organization to be as small, mobile and resource independent as possible. In Remus Breaker’s world, the huge population wasn’t humanity's strength, but a logistic crack in the armor. True strength should originate from skills and application of knowledge, not fancy leverage of cheap labors.

This policy would soon make the Dawn a one-ship technological juggernaut, outstripping all factions on Phantasia in both Advance Magical Guerilla Warfare, Mana Application, Biotechnology, Computer Technology, and Phenomenal Replication and Weaponisation. Most people needed to dig magic bone or stone to forge weapons while the Dawn crafted its most infamous tools from grounded Iron powder and artificially synthesized additives.

Sadly, despite having no desire for treasure and spotting the coming trap thousand miles away, the Dawn still walked into the wall. Such was the sin of the hard carry. If your teammates sucked, you would be dragged down no matter how good was your KDA.

Still, HD gave full effort to prevent the disaster. Luxinna being the fastest women in the Dawn fired a full-powered [Assault Flora] at the light as her last-ditch attempt. But a mysterious blade coated in ominous blood-red fog intercepted the projectiles at Mach speed. Despite being fueled by savage and malevolent aura, that defence was transcendental. The knife was thrown with precision and power to deflect Luxinna’s rail-gun round that would carve unforgettable fear into demigods.

Luxinna’s eyes widened as the tornado of bloody mist barreled toward her. She successfully dodged the attack and analyzed her opponent.

A pale woman in a leather hood and bloody white hair stood defending the tower of light. The girl's face lined with scar-like vein of a corrupted blood vessel. Her crimson eyes glowed as a pair of blades slid into her palms. Commander Serina of Wolf Hoard twirled, taunting Luxinna with a finger wag. The mission was cleared. Serina was protecting the mechanism for reason unknown and Luxinna need to step past her to achieve victory.

Luxinna accepted the 400 meters range duel with gritted teeth.

[Assault Flora]

Summoning three more lightning-powered turret Luxinna spam barrages of blades, but the mysterious Commander swatted every blade aside in a supreme display of speed and coordination. Without a single millimeter offed her stance, Serina countered attack with two slashes of bloody swords, releasing red, x-shape, rampaging sword-waves toward the elf.

Ducking behind the counterstrike, Luxinna electromagnetically launched herself to close-quarter with a boost from her lotus.

[Overflow]

Her mental calculation performed at high-speed as she rocketed toward Serina in a flash of lightning.

Meanwhile, the commander closed her eyes, pinning everything to her instinct.

The two clashes in a burst of dark-red and gold.

Meanwhile, in the forest, the giant ogre — Salazar Aztellic — conversed warily with another being reeked of blood. Dozens of corpses littered around the two. Few were broken and torn limb from limb, but most met a more horrific fate — sucked dried into desiccated shrivel grey husk.

“You must be Lord Salazar Aztellic,” the being’s face was tainted with a series of horrifying bloody veins marring his timeless face. His pale skin glossed with vitality and the inhumane stench of death. Despite his feral appearance and unsightly skin disfigurement, the man’s impeccable Victorian suit mixed nicely with artistically groomed fangs.

Salazar Aztellic treated his new acquittance like a nuclear bomb. Vampires were an arrogant prick of a race, but their title as the strongest race of Phantasia possessed credit for a reason.

Regeneration, bat-shit insane learning speed, longevity and unnatural physical prowess was a common attribute of the vampire. Their natural stats surpassed the elves and demons, bordering the level of pure-blooded gods. Their inherited skills downright terrified the divines and were the core reason only the Holy Church backed by Yotehiem’s angels dared to combat those plagues.

Vampires wielded [Bloodmist]. An infinitely flexible energy condensed from their life force capable of consuming life-essence and rending Mana. This ability made them an utter nightmare to face in battle. Worst fate of all was to be captured by Vampire. All vampires possessed the ability to accrue power and vitality from consuming blood, making them a nightmare to face in war. Their [Corruption] skill allowed Vampire to implant their essence into prisoners and weapons slowly turning them into an obedient thrall brainwashed into serving the vampiric masters. Hell, Salazar even heard the rumors that vampires preferred to keep the thrall’s ego intact, allowing them to be fully conscious of their fate as sex-toys or suicide weapon against their former comrades. Those bloodsuckers were infamous for malevolence and cruelty. 

Phantasian's concern about Vampire wasn’t unfounded. Their gluttonous sadism and depravity was a recipe for disaster. Wherever their kind went, tears and bloods followed. Vampires’ society promoted strength above all else with little regard for life. As an insatiable race who fed on blood and suffering, vampire culture and social structure bred suffering for all those they graced as they consumed, irrigated and assimilated to achieve the vampiric ancestral decree of godhood.

Salazar trembled. Throughout all history, Vampires were the only threat aside from the World Enemy to unite the bickering forces of Phantasia. Every faction from the Isle of Knowledge, the Seven Continental Alliance and the Demonic Continent possessed a simple solution against any vampire sighting: kill without question. 

Execution was a mandatory order even for a newborn vampire. Sparring single baby was a ridiculous notion for the race who accrued power through sucking blood. But despite such measures, vampire still held a sizable territory in the South-Western part of Tengen continent. Their mysterious heritage aided their resistance against the entire Phantasia adding to their fearsomeness.

Now one of them sneaked into this forest despite the limelights.

“What do you want, Vampire?” Salazar considered his odds. No vampire was listed on the 33 Stars because no official would tolerate the travesty of giving the hated parasite any credits. Sadly, reality didn’t care about indignation and it only meant Salazar did not know who or what stood before him.

“Not a trace of manner,” the vampires sneered. “Is that how you talk to a superior being?”

“Don’t push your luck, bloodsucker,” Salazar lifted his sword. “I don’t fear you.”

The vampire's disfigured face turned into a demonic snared.

“You should, ogre, but today I wanted to offer you a privilege of dealing with us.”

“A deal? Your kind actually understood that word?”

“Typical flies,” The vampire sneered. “One glance at our fangs and you lump us together. Not all of us share the Neferia’s obsession of subjugating your kind. The Balorian Houses is more receptive to the current status quo and we are seeking expansion.”

“I won’t be your slave.”

“Oh please, you are still confusing us with the Neferia. Those muscle brain morons believe that achieving Atavism would allow us to rule the world. Heh, we can barely coordinate ourselves, much less manage more territory. I am more interested in gaining political allies and merchandises.”

“Merchandise?”

“Yes, you may well-know we believed in breeding a stronger off-spring. It was the only view the three-vampire clan had in common. However, unlike Neferia who preferred conquest to gain the livestock we found it safer to gain ours through subterfuge and trading.”

Despite his humongous, Salazar was smarter than a brute. He was a rare variety of ogre who was savvy enough to get ahead.

“You want Emily Aztellic.”

“Yes, the girl would make quite an excellent mare for our breeding program. Sorin Enma, the elves and Mamacia Cocogar is also a desirable experimental resource we want to purchase. Although, we exhausted 90% of the possibility with Holy Church, the Neferia will pay and handsome price to humiliate a rising star of their greatest enemy. In return, we will gladly provide you aid for the throne.”

Salazar Aztellic snorted.

“Aid? The moment they discovered I am working with you I will be hunted like a dog.”

The vampires chuckled.

“Mr. Aztellic. You are assuming the Demonic Continent could mount a substantial investigation. Do you think we randomly selected this moment as our first pursuit into your market or attack member of Enma Clan and Isle of Knowledge without total confidence? We are monsters, but us in Balorian were no fool. Our network is entrenched in Phantasia. With your nation corruption, and our criminal link, not even Jekyll Aztellic would dare disturb our operation no matter the amount of evidence. So, do we have a deal, Salazar Aztellic. With our investment, you can be the next emperor.”

Salazar must admit the offer smelled like a new car. The question was would he willing to work with the race of deprave rapist, murderers and slavers with thirst for human flesh?

Salazar decided in seconds.

Luxinna barely believed this woman fighting her was still standing.

Normally, [Overflow] would land her an instant win against anything outside Horizon Dawn. However, the record was broken today. 

The girl with horrendous red marks over her face and blood-specked white-hair dodged an attack coming at Mach speed and blocked another subsonic follow-up. Luxinna’s recalculated her counter, scoring a solid body-shot, but that girl tanked the punch that would take Sorin Enma to the hospital. The young vampire grabbed the elf’s arm, refusing to let the knight slip away. Luxinna instantly went for her opponent's foot, but failed to dent her Serina’s determination. Her kick snapped the vampire’s knees, but that weird red mist reacted, wrapping around her broken leg, acting as a cast to keep Serina standing.

“I got you,” Commander Serina faced the knight of Dawn with grim determination. For a second, Luxinna could have sworn she was dueling Rem.

“Yeah, congratulation,” Luxinna cast an Arcane.

[Electro Lord]

Lightning flowed through Serina like a million pin of death, but the vampire fought through the pain and spasm with raw [Magic Resistance] and insurmountable willpower.

“Nice tried, but no dice.”

Serina’s body swirled with a savage mist of blood, slowly fending back Luxinna’s electricity. The vampires’ blade went into motion. Serina locked Luxinna with her grip of steel, ensuring a clean hit for her close-quarter slash fueled with malicious bloody energy.

[Assault Flora]

Sixteen lotuses of glass materialized and impaled the Wolf Hoard’s Commander. Luxinna knew the attacks hurt, but it failed to matter. The Commander swallowed a mouthful of blood and pressed her attack, using her [Bloodmist] to move her paralyzed and electrocuted limbs. Despite sixteen swords of golden glass penetrating her muscles, bones and several organs, Serina still refused to surrender.

In awe of her enemy's determination and resiliency, Luxinna summoned her sword. [Historia] flashed into existence as the two warriors prepare to duke it out.

Alas, the battle never concluded, because the light expanded at that climatic moment, swallowing the entire forest.

The next of PALISADE incident finally begun.

2