Chapter 50: Conclusion of Obsidian Dragon
97 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Under the dark shadow of the cockpit, Illma Zoldia Road heard the footsteps. It wasn’t the masked man. His steps were light, barely noticeable. These footsteps just felt too sinister in comparison. Each tapping sound brought down the pressure of wrongness and unfathomable force, warping the reality around her. Illma’s body sank, her mind cracking as the world twisted and darkened with each of those will breaking tapping.

Then Illma finally saw her. The black hair woman wrapped in hood and blue-wisp of mana so dense it was visible to the naked eyes.

“My, my, where do all that superiority disappear to, my pitiful little chimp?” the ominous voice mocked.

"I am an Untouchable," Illma wheezed. She stood no chance against this woman. Right now, her only option was to beg for cooperation or die doing so. "Help me, and the Alliance will generously award your aid."

“The Alliance?” the woman tone was more insulted than angry. “I FOUNDED THE ALLIANCE. Those disobedient mutts have been running around in circles ever since I left them to their own devices. Scrapping to Aurorin, catering to those idiots in the Isle of Knowledge, bowing to those filthy animals on Asgard and Olympus!? Bah, I only left them alive because they are still useful.”

Illma stood stunned. Who is she? Not even the Demonic Continent in all its bravado held such disdain to the Seven Continental Alliance and the god behind them.

No, the answer should be obvious. There weren’t that many people who participated in the founding of the Alliance. And even then, there was only one who even the gods fear to offend.

“And the Untouchables!" the mysterious woman continued her rant.“Those imbeciles dare grant those miserable turds such immunity? The audacity! Only me and mine have merited such achievement! The thought of the like of you monkies surpassing us, the heaven bless children, is absurd!"

Illma gulped. That cemented it. The message espoused was indeed hers. But that was impossible, that legend was lost in the Forbidden Zone, leaving only monumental accomplishments behind. Moreover, while their ideology matched, the personality was too far apart. Every document said that she always carried herself with grace and politeness as expected from the most sophisticated of all races. This woman was nothing like the historical record.

“Oh,” the woman noticed. “You realize who I am? Fascinating, maybe those mayflies monkeys do evolve a brain after a few hundred years of being blunter than bricks.”

“You are M-“

The air freeze and the words died in Illma’s mouth.

“You dare utter my name with my honorific?” The woman chillingly stated.

“No,” Illma scampered, wanting to dig behind the metal wall and hid there. “No, exalted one.”

The woman smiled.

“Good, I am glad to see even monkies can learn manners,” The woman blushed her hair narcissistically. “It only takes your kind about several centuries.”

Illma’s heart nearly stopped. It was bad. No one in the world would dare to be that person imposter. All this meant she was dealing with the real deal. The woman whose rise to power symbolized the elven golden age. But why now? Why did she faked her death and hid this long?

“You must be wondering why I reveal myself to you?” said the elf.

“Yes, exalted one,” Illma swallowed her pride and bowed down. No one, individual or group, could afford to anger this monster. She needed to play-ball and hoped she got out of this mess alive.

“That dragon you fought today is a weakling from the Forbidden Zone,” the woman said. “But despite its feeble strength, I suspect it might be a clue to solve the mystery Smu’ag. But that isn’t important now. I have a new target: you."

Illma froze.

“Admittedly, this isn’t my idea,” the elf admitted much to Illma surprised. “Yes, no need to be shocked. Part of being the favorite child of the creation is admitting one shortcoming. Even a mere human could come up with a decent idea once in a while.” The woman mused sinisterly. “Extracting the X-cution knowledge out of you and modifying it to create an army sound excellent.”

Illma saw this as an opportunity.

“Yes, exalted one,” Illma knelt. “I am willing to-“

“Save your word,” said the elf. “What use do you have? You spent half a decade sitting on cutting-edge technology and let it collect dust. Meanwhile, a child playing dress-up just suggested a way to utilize your knowledge better than you ever could. Your uselessness sore my eyes."

“But exal-“

Slick! Slice!

Illma’s body exploded into equally cut cubes of blood and organ. It was a bloody feat made possible with unbelievable usage of wind and water cutting magic. Blood splattered violently across the room, marking a violent and instantaneous demise. Despite the attack untame savagery, Illma's bodiless head remained untouched, wearing an expression of disbelief. It was a testification to her killer precision and speed.

The mysterious elf picked her prize by its hair and disappeared in a flash of light and laughter.

With that, the Milian Incident came to a close.

A few days later, Melody was saying good-bye to the gang.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us?” Cytortia said.

Melody feigned a tired laugh.

“I need to help my Ma rebuild the shop. Moreover, you already have your hand full.”

Cytortia responded by desperate ranting.

“That is why I need your help!” Cytortia said. “You have a healing factor! You are the only one who get out of this mess without needing serious patching up. Do you know we ran out of our medical supplies this month? Plus, I have to stop those two idiots from leaving their beds.”

Melody cringed with pain. Horizon Dawn must be the organization with the highest injury rating she ever knows. 

Rem sank into a coma for four days straight the moment he hit the bed, but somehow the lightning elf managed to get it worse than Rem. Cytortia diagnosed several torn muscles, fractured bones, and nerve damages across Luxinna's body. The treatment Cytortia put the elf through sent four-night worth of haunting howl to haunt Melody’s dreams. Melody won't admit to anyone, but she got a nightmare afterward.

Although Luxinna walked out of this catastrophe limping on a cane with her throwing arm in a sling, victory was still hers. The incident fallout was epic. Firstly, Port was too psychologically, physically, and reputably shattered to continue his post as the Mayor. As for Taku Enma, he left within the minute of the dragon’s death. Despite the extensive damage to the North-east section, Millian came out of the crisis intact, and already the reconstruction speed was promising. Finally, to add the cherry on top of it all, Illma’s influence all but fizzled out the moment the investigator sent by the Alliance found her mutilated parts in her airship.

However, the happy ending didn't win them everything. Emma clan already sent the new envoy to replace Taku. The rampage between Sicilian Ghost Dragon and Illma pumped out casualties approaching the hundred. Moreover, the Seven Continental Alliance already sent more investigators to discern the cause of Illma’s death. The formal report didn’t come out yet, but Rem already made it clear the mysterious masked heroes would likely get the blame.

Those wrinkles aside; one more justice did get served. Due to their misconduct and blatant disregard for protocol, the entire adventurer body in Millian got demoted by one rank per the main branch order. Scathach expected them to pay a hefty fine for a long, long time.

“I am sorry,” Melody said to the raving Cytrotia. “I have to fulfill Ma’s wishes. But I will tell you this: you guys are the first friends I ever have. Hopefully, one day, we will meet again.”

Cytortia tried to argue, but she calmed down a moment later.

“Yeah, good-bye,” Cytortia said. “Take care of yourself, Mel.”

“Don’t call me Mel,” Melody replied through her gritted teeth.

Melody parted with the girl and drifted along the street of Millian, letting her instinct drawn her forward.

She strolled past a group of children--two boys and a girl--playing on the street. They were wearing a crudely made white-mask and a black overcoat, pretending to be the heroes who saved them from the evil mad-woman. She smiled. Finally, she understood the real reason Rem wanted them to wear a mask. He wanted to give the kid something to believe.

Melody walked further before finally arriving at the ruin of Illma’s mansion; a place where her humble home once stood. There she found her mother arguing with a surprise guess.

It was AIon.

“Are you sure, Majestia?” Aion flabbergastingly asked. “This is the recruitment offer from the Head Guildmaster of Phantasia. Think about it? Most adventurers would work to death just to get promoted to Balpera. Your daughter got invited to one of the most prosperous capitals of Phantasia. She is the second demon-race in all of history to receive this offer. The first is-“

“-Ebony Solarmaria,” Ebony finished with a poker-face. She couldn’t believe that Aion was dumb not to realize he was talking to the actual devil. “I know my history very well, Aion. And I can tell you that Melody already got a better offer.”

“Who could offer better terms than Balpera?” Aion asked. “Majestia, your daughter should be rewarded for what she did. The Head Guildmaster couldn’t be more impressed in her courage.”

“I know,” Ebony, aka Majestia, said. “Sadly, he wasn't impressed enough to go back in time and stop Illma from burning my home to the ground.”

“Majestia, I…”

“Save it, AIon,” Ebony answered. “I already have a plan for my daughter. She will become much more than a mere secretary in Balperia. Trust me on this.”

Aion looked into her eyes, sighed, and left. He met Melody on his way out and couldn’t resist asking.

“Where is your mom sending you?”

“No idea.”

“Are you sure about this? Balperia is-“

“One of the most prosperous countries in Phantasia. It houses the best private sectors from banking, research, and adventuring. Its capital, Tajoria, is nicknamed as the cadre of civilization.”

“So you-“

“Save it, Guildmaster,” Melody said. “I trust my mother's judgment.”

Aion nodded and started leaving. Then he suddenly stopped and turned around.

“You know. You remind me of someone, particularly your red-hair.”

“Oh, who is it?”

“The hero who saved me from Illma’s dungeon,” Aion said. “It isn’t too long ago, but I will never forget her. It is quite unfortunate. If more people are like her, we wouldn’t need to fear Illma this much.”

 Aion left. Melody didn’t turn to face him. She didn’t think she could hide her stupid grin.

Ebony approached her daughter.

“That is a terrible poker-face,” Ebony teased. “You are always incredibly weak toward compliment.”

“Sorry, Ma,” Melody tried to keep her face under control. “Anyways, what is your plan?”

“You heard the conversation?” Ebony struggled to keep a straight face. “I will tell you later, but first, we are having a picnic for you.”

“Picnic?” Melody frowned. “We don’t have one since I was thirteenth.”

“I know,” Ebony looked melancholic. “But I want to keep this memory before we move on.”

Luxinna woke up inside her room on the Black Mercy. She flinched from the sharp pain in her back. The girl grabbed a makeshift cane and walked out of her room as back slowly killed her. Outside, she saw everyone fiddling at a giant black box in the living room.

That was strange, she thought, they already packed everything last night.

In spite of massive uproar, things were looking up Horizon Dawn. They managed to secure enough dragon’s blood to make a profit even after splitting the spoils with Ebony. While they failed to recruit Melody, the setback wasn’t a crushing one. All in all, the entire gang came out ahead.

However, Rem didn’t rest easy despite his days of coma. He made a troubled face the moment he received the new of Illma’s death. Honestly, Luxinna was glad they never got their hand on the X-cution. Even Rem didn't trust himself with that knowledge and only wanted Cytortia to have it after defanging Illma. 

Furthermore, Rem emphasized that the only missing pieces of Illma’s body part were her head. That translated to someone out there had access to her brain, and with it, the X-cution project lived. It was a though that sent shivered down Luxinna’s spine.

“What is that box doing here?” Luxinna said.

“Ebony’s gift,” Scathach explained. “She carted it here last night as a souvenir and told us to take care of it. It supposed to contain many high-grade forging tools, supplies of weapons she prepared for us, as well as her greatest masterpiece."

“Why don’t you open it yet?”

Cytortia explained that one.

“This is a high-grade artifact personally created by Ebony,” the goddess explained. “It is resizable, nearly indestructible, and has so many functions I lost count. Ebony said it is a surprise. And knowing how legendary her work is, we don’t want to force it open.”

Luxinna nodded. It sounded reasonable, but Rem’s amuse expression didn’t bode well on her.

“You know what is inside,” she stated.

“I have a few guesses, but I don’t want to ruin it for everyone. Given the timer, the box should be open in three, two, one-“

The box flipped open, revealing a familiar drowsy demoness, tied and gagged inside the box.

“Hello, Mel,” Rem said, barely lifting his eyes. “Goodmorning and welcome on board.”

Everyone stood stunned. Melody glowed rad and burnt the rope tying her body.

“What the hell is happening?” The demoness yelled before addressing the rest of the gang. “Where am I?”

“In our less than impressive moving headquarter,” Rem answered. “Cy, check the box, please. I expect Ebony will leave us a note. Anyway, Melody, what is the last thing you remember?”

“Ma and I were having a picnic,” Melody told them worriedly. “She said that she was proud of me, and I should follow my heart sometime. She was hoping that I will make a name for myself when we meet again? What does that mean anyway?”

“Is the picnic consisted mainly of your favorite dish?” Rem asked.

“Yes, why is that important?”

Luxinna worked it out the moment later.

 “Wait, you are telling me that picnic was a farewell meal?” Luxinna gaped. “Ebony Solarmaria drugged Mel, put her in a treasure chest, and entrusted her to us. Why?”

“Because-“

Before Rem could explain, Cytortia cut him to the finish line and showed them the note in Ebony’s handwriting.

“Dear Cytortia Tianshang,” Cytortia read. “Please excuse me for handing you this burden. Throughout my life, I’ve tried to guide my daughter the best I could. While I succeeded in some way, I failed in many others. Melody wants to join you and grow through another perspective that I couldn’t provide. However, my little idiot is too much of a mommy girl to ask that from me. So I decided to take the initiative to send her to you myself. I humbly ask you to take my daughter under your fold and give her the friendship she never got. Thank you, Ebony.”

Melody’s expression warped as the word registered, and with all the breath in her lung, she yelled.

“WHAT THE HELL MOM!!!!!”

And that was how Empress got recruited.

 

4