Chp 20 – Visitors
5.3k 49 152
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Extra long chapter for you guys. Before you point out all the inconsistencies in the comments below, ask me instead. I made a lot of conscious decision here that I knew some people might not agree with immediately. Favorite if you like it, and comment below if you want to make your thoughts known.


Chapter 20 - Visitors

Tyler Riddle

I was pretty bummed about my mutant power at first. It didn't seem to do much besides substituting a formless version of my DNA. It absorbed the function of the 42-spider mutation, so maybe it could change more. I'm not sure, but I played with it for a couple hours, really testing how much control I had over this new DNA. It turned out that I had almost absolute control over it, not just movement. I had to determine by what process I wanted the action to take and I had to understand that process. I tried making it act like different elements to form molecules with real elements, and that worked. With that, I knew that I could replace regular matter with whatever that stuff was. I can slowly replace my body with the stuff, but it is pretty expensive so I'll need to absorb a lot of material If I decide to go that route.

But that wasn't the end to my testing. I took a few steps up and tried manipulating the probability of the mass so that it was more likely to be in a different place compared to its current location. The process is very similar to how an electron behaves. Surprisingly it worked. That meant that I could manipulate the information of this stuff, and that opened many doors. Since I could manipulate the mass's information directly, I made two masses quantumly entangled, and it worked pretty well. Manipulating information didn't really take any of my resources unless I wanted to make something hotter, bigger, or colder, but it did take a lot of concentration. 

I figured that none of this really mattered unless I could implement the phenomenon on a macro scale, so I went to the kitchen to try and see what I could do.

I spent maybe an hour just building a web of entangled masses through my hands. I only entangled the masses that were already there. The work was grinding, but it got easier the more I did it. Maybe two hours passed and light was starting to seep through the fabric curtains, about the only thing we already had in this place besides the stuff in our bedroom. Nia should be waking up any minute now since I'm not there with her. Some tea would be nice.

I make two pots, fill them up with water, and put them on the stove without heat. Then, I submerged one hand in each of them and let the masses do their thing. Soon enough, one pot started boiling while the other started turning to ice, trapping my hand inside. My carbon skin distributed the heat and cold that would have burned my hands, but I stopped the reaction since I already had the water for tea.

Nia finally decided to wake up and stroll into the kitchen in her excuse for pajamas. A pair of red lace underwear and a red cotton shirt that was really too small for her.

"Morning  sis."

"Moorninggg brother!" She yawned, rubbing her eyes."Hey! What are you doing to your hands!" She says worriedly. 

"No look it's fine, see." I say, absorbing the ice around my left hand and taking them out from the pots. I hand my hands over to her for inspection. She grabs them and turns them over, making sure they aren't damaged, then she lets go.

"Why would you scare me like that?" She asks, folding her arms.

"Sorry sis. Do you want some tea, Earl Grey, Hot?"

"Four teaspoons of sugar."

"Honey."

"Yes?" She responds, perking up.

"No, I meant you get honey no sugar."

"Oh…"

I make two mugs and two teabags. Then start sealing the tea bags with the pot of boiling water. Then I hear some dialogue not too far away and coming closer

"Why don't you get dressed? I think we have some company. Your tea should be ready by the time you get back."

"Ok!" She cheered, before heading back. I go to unlock the door and then I spend five minutes or so making a large Japanese short-legged table and ten cushions. It looks nice enough, but I'd prefer some with real pizzaz. I just finished up when a knock came from the door.

"It's unlocked Matt." I said with a normal volume.

Matt walked in with Wolverine, Professor Xavier, Henry McCoy aka The Beast, Ororo Munroe aka Storm, and the red headed Jean Grey, all in relatively normal clothing. Logan looked like he always does. Prof. X looked old, like he does in the movies. The Beast was in his natural blue bestial form with a big cloak on. Storm was a dark beauty with white hair in a long black dress that was almost a toga. And Jean actually looked about my age, maybe a bit older.

"Why's the door unlocked?" Matt asked me, taking a look around. "I thought you didn't have any furniture."

"I made them just now. I heard you guys coming and I can't have guests over without seats."

"Ok, well I have to head to work. I brought them over here since they were describing someone pretty similar to you and they're a weird bunch in general. They're nice enough." Matt says, heading out the door.

"Well I guess introductions are in order. I am Professor Charles Xavier. This is Logan, Mr. Henry McCoy, Ms. Munroe, and Ms. Grey. We've come to talk to you."

"Tyler Riddle. My sister Nia is getting ready. Have a seat." I said, gesturing to the cushions. Everyone except for the Professor sits at the table, with Logan, Jean, and Ororo being the only ones in a sieza.

"Do you guys want something to drink? I have almost anything."

"Do you have hard beer?" Logan asked.

"Do you want it natural?"

"Yeah."

"An Uncle Sam it is." I pull a Samuel Adams Utopias out of my hand and toss it over."Here, catch." Logan catches it, unsheathes his claws, pops the cap off, and releases a smack of satisfaction after he tastes the cold beer. Ororo and Jean raised an eyebrow at him, but Henry and Charles didn't pay any head.

"Water is fine for me." Charles said. I'm kinda disappointed he didn't ask for a hot Earl Grey tea.

"Same for me." Spoke Henry. I formed two glasses of water for the both of them and handed them over, soliciting two polite 'thank you'd.

"Strawberry smoothie?" Asked Jean, seeing that I could just make beverages from nothing. I made one with a straw for her on the spot.

"Thanks!" 

Seeing that Ororo didn't ask for anything, and it didn't seem like she was going to, I made a mug of Sahlab and passed it over to her. It's a popular winter drink in Egypt, kinda like a nutty cinnamon hot chocolate without the chocolate and with pistachios. Ororo just looks at me in response with a question in her eyes.

I've practiced my bartending skills over the years for Nia and a little taste of nostalgia would be nice. I... probably spoil her too much. The alcohol was pillaged from Flash, Matt's stash, and the streets really. I don't drink, not that I legally can.

I finish me and Nia's teas and join the rest of them at the table.

"So is that your ability? You're some sort of super-bartender?" Logan quipped.

"Hold up." I raised a hand and turned my head to the door,"Come in! It's unlocked!"

In walked in, Magneto and Raven Darkholme aka Mystique. Magneto in a suit, but his helmet covering his old head. Mystique was in her blond bombshell form with a white dress. Logan popped his claws out and stood up. The other X-Men except for Charles went alert.

"Hey settle down Logan, you're all guests here." I said. Turning back to the duo at the door, I asked, "What do you two want to drink? I can make you anything."

"A glass of scotch for me." replied Magneto. 

"Red wine, please." Said Mystique.

I formed the two beverages and set them down. "Please, take a seat." I gestured. 

"You don't know what kind of people they are!" Yelled Logan, acting like he could pounce any moment.

"Yes I do. Just as I know all the rest of you. Now no one is going to fight, because I know none of you are prepared for the consequences of a battle in such a populated area, at least not yet."

"But—"

"Sit down Logan. I'm sure we can all remain civil. Isn't that right Max?" Said Charles.

"Of course." Replied Magneto, before taking a seat. Mystique sat to the right of me in sieza. A pretty obvious coercive move to sit next to me, but then against she probably achieved her goal whether I noticed or not. Seeing that I was unbothered by Henry, she turned back into her natural, navy blue, form.

"I hope you don't mind my appearance." Mystique said, taking a sip of her wine.

"Not at all. Men weren't born with clothes on. And besides, blue is a beautiful color." My compliment solicits a smile from her, a few looks from the table, and a strong glare from Nia who decided to walk in. She was dressed in a short velvet red dress. It looked good on her, but what's up with all the red today. She takes the open cushion on my left and saddles up to me, putting her head on my shoulder. 

"Well everyone, this is my sister, Nia. Nia, this is Ms. Munroe, Henry, Ms.Grey, Professor Xavier, Logan, Mystique, and….. Magneto. They're all great people if you get to know them. Logan can be a little hot tempered, but he's a good man, the best one in here." I introduce everyone. I swear I saw Logan grin a little, but it disappeared too quick. Nia was just eyeing the females in the room.

"Not as good as you brother."

"Sure, sure, Nia. Here, drink your tea." I give her tea to her so she can get off my shoulder.

"So where were we? Ah yes...well Logan, no. I am not some super-bartender. I can absorb, create, and edit matter. That's the basics of it anyway. But I could do that before I even had the mutant gene."

"What do you mean 'before you had the mutant gene?'" asked Charles.

"Well, me and Nia don't have the mutant gene, not even a recessive version of it, but I knew about mutants, so I decided to become one. I used my ability to edit matter to create a virus that would alter my DNA giving me the mutant gene. I didn't know exactly what the gene looked like, but I collected enough DNA samples over a few weeks to find out. The gene may be rare, but it's not too hard to find in a school with thousands of children. And before you say anything Magneto, at least try not to be like the monsters who tormented you. You can do that at least."

"Why would you want to be a mutant? It's not exactly the easiest life choice to deal with. Some of us would gladly throw away our mutant title." Henry asked, pushing up his glasses.

"I'll let you in on a little secret. Being any kind of life form basically anywhere, is no easy feat. I have no idea about the exact nature of all the problems that I or the world will have to face, but I know that everything is already very dangerous. I need all the strength I can get so long as I have complete and utter control over that strength."

"You sure seem to know a lot." Ororo finally spoke.

"Yes, about all of you. About many other things. To be honest, I didn't expect to see any of you anytime soon. We're in the heart of the world, and you're all pretty reclusive people, at least publicly. There are many other people that I expected to contacte before you arrived. Why are you here, or why so soon?"

"There was an anomaly in New York. We didn't know what it was or where it's source came from until about ten hours ago." Said Charles. About the time I gained my mutant power.

"What kind of anomaly?" I asked.

"I'm a telepath, one of the strongest in the world. And all the minds around here felt off somehow."

"That's pretty interesting, but a distortion in your perception doesn't seem all that interesting. Just from the phenomenon you described, I can tell you that I'm not an Alpha mutant."

"But you are unique. You could become exceptionally powerful with training." Coaxed Magneto.

"No offense Magneto but you aren't really the greatest teacher or father figure. The company you keep is pretty questionable as well. And Professor, you have your share of faults too. Besides, I simply don't have the time to be a part of your school. Maybe I could stop by sometime in the future, but not now. As much as I see everyone in here as Heros, and I mean that genuinely, we're all broken people."

"But—"

"I'm broken too Nia. Pleas drink your tea, it's getting cold." It's not, but I can't have her interrupting right now.

"Our goals are similar. We all want peace and prosperity for the Mutant kind at the very least. At some point, we'll all have to work together. It may seem unlikely, but I'm sure you ALL can think of more than a few situations that could ruin Mutant kind. Professor, you make grudge bombs like nobody's business. Magneto, you fight with anybody and everybody. Don't underestimate humans. They far out number mutants and they have technology that could wipe out all Mutants. The last thing you want to do is cause another genocide." Magneto flinched a little at that last word.

"What would you have me do then? Let monsters slaughter and experiment on my kind?" Magneto said angrily, the metal around the apartment shaking a little.

"No, not at all. Be forceful, do nothing, it doesn't matter what you do or don't do. As long as you plan methodically. And be prepared to change your plan when you need to. What both you and the Professor are doing is trying to achieve your goals through feelings. It's fine to have those feelings. It's necessary even, but you can't let them decide what to do. Or else, you're doomed to fail. Mystique, maybe you could help him out with that?"

"Neither Charles or Max have ever listened to me, but I can always try again." Raven answers, flashing a slightly seductive smile. Nia starts glaring at her and bites the rim of her mug. I take it from her and put some Nutella toast in her mouth instead.

"Wow...this conversation's gotten much heavier than I intended. How about we wrap this up. I'll volunteer myself to be the intermediary between your two groups and extend some pleasantries, but I can't give most of them to you right now."

"Sounds like a good idea." Sad Henry, earning quite a few looks from around the table.

"Ok. Well for you Professor, I can make a pair of leg braces that will allow you to walk. I'll get it to you in a day or so. I have a better solution in mind, but you'll have to go to school instead of running one. I'll send you a enrollment letter when I can." I told the Professor, making him raise an eyebrow.

"Ms. Grey—" I turned towards her.

"Jean." She interrupted me.

"Jean...I have a guy who can help you with your…mental difficulties. His condition is arguably worse than yours, so I'm sure he can help with a more permanent solution. I'll contact you when he's ready." I tell her, earning a quizzical look. I turn to Ororo.

"Ms.—"

"Ororo, or Storm if you prefer."

"Ororo, I can't give you much except that a certain very very wealthy prince will come to look for your hand in marriage. Unfortunately, he's not in love with you. He just wants to marry you because of your princess lineage. I know it's not really a good thing, so I'll plan something else for you." She just shrugged in response. I turned to Henry but I didn't want to get corrected again, so I went with his first name.

"Henry. I can help you out with any genetics or physics questions you may have. Any research you want my help on, you can just ask. I don't technically have the PhDs, but I have more than enough knowledge should you want it."

"I'll take you up on that offer sometime."

"For you Logan, I have a request first, completely unrelated to my gift. Can I have a sample of the metal in your claw? I'll repair it immediately. It will be just as it always was."

"What do I get out of it?"

"A twelve pack of that beer you just drank."

"Twenty-four."

"Deal." I make a line down my shirt, opening it up, and I take two twelve packs out of my chest, passing them over. Logan takes them and unsheathes his claws, holding them out to me. I absorb a piece off of one and put it back.

"So what's my gift?" asks Logan.

"An offer to restore your memory. I can't do the work and I haven't contacted the one who can, so you have some time to think about whether you go with it. You may not like what you remember, but there's more than enough good in there. And you have every right to decide if you want to remember."

".... I'll think about it."

"I also have a raid planned for the two of us. I'll need at least a week to be fully prepared."

"Raid on who?"

"Bad people experimenting on kids. They're fine, but you'll want to come." I turn to Magneto.

"There's not much I can give you, but maybe I can give you some closure. I'll give you a time and place soon enough. Meet me there, you'll like it."

"As for you Raven—"

"Yes?" She said seductively, earning a glare from Nia, as she munches on a second piece of toast I gave her.

"Everything I can do for you is something that's already part of my plans, so you can ask for a favor from me, a big one. Everyone else has to ask for solids."

"What's a solid?" Asked Logan.

"I believe it's a type of favor. It can be any size, but it has to be paid back. It's pretty popular among the younger generations, especially between friends. Isn't that right Jean?" Answered Henry.

"Yes." Answered Jean.

"Well I can think of a few things I could use that favor on. I'm sure they're pretty big." Said Raven playfully, her gaze lingering below my waist. I could practically feel Nia's bloodlust emanating like a cloud.

"I have a girlfriend Mystique." I tried addressing her less personally.

"And a Sister!" Shouted Nia, pooping over my left shoulder. I don't think that one counts though Nia.

"Doesn't matter." Replied Raven. And now the whole conversation is more awkward than it already was.

"Alright, let's just all exchange contact information. I don't want to hold anybody up any longer. I'm sure everyone is pretty busy." Everyone got up, taking their unfinished drink with them. They probably all figure I can just make more mugs and glasses. Nia and Logan were the only ones who actually drank anything. Logan, because he's Logan, but Nia didn't really contribute and she was stress eating because of all the females in the room, especially Raven. 

Everyone hands over their contact information and is just about to leave out the door, when Magneto stops and looks at me.

"Don't—"

I zap him before he can finish, flinging him against the wall. I leap over and put him in a chokehold, both choking him out and bending/twisting his neck as if I could snap it any second. I had my back to the wall and scooted myself up so that we were both a foot off the ground. All in one move. Everyone appears to get ready to battle at a moment's notice. Everyone except for Nia who looked on at me with an expectant look in her eyes, nibbling on her toast. She's a piece of work.

I add a bit of sparks and a cackle to my voice for effect. "I don't know what you were going to say, but I know a man who's about to attack often before they do. There's clues. A skip in the heartbeat, a tightening of muscle like the sound of stretched rubber, and a deep breath, loud or not. There's many more tells, especially for a man of your age." I tighten my hand over his helmet, crushing it in slightly. "I know what kind of man you are, and it sure as hell isn't a good one. But on behalf of all the mutants you've technically saved, I'll let you live. I'll let you have this one mistake. You're impulsive beyond belief, even after all that information I throw at you, you don't have a hint of weariness in your body. How you've survived so far is one of the Multiverse's many mysteries, but I can't keep you around much longer if you don't think about the consequences of your actions. You're liable to get everybody killed." I finally let him go, dropping him to the floor. He gets up shakily, gasping for breath. Once he does, he bends his helmet back into shape.

"Okay thank you everyone for visiting but I'm sure your presence in New York has raised more than a few eyes. And I have a sneaky suspicion that one of them will be visiting me soon. I think it's best if you don't bump into each other. Magneto, you know you deserved that. Leave your pride at the door next time you visit."

I closed the door and released a sigh of exhaustion. I walked over to me and Nia's room and just collapsed inside the part of the blanket fort that was meant to be our bed. Either we need a real bedroom or this fortress needs to be significantly upgraded. There's far too little decorations in here.

Nia came in and became the little spoon to my huddled form, draping my arm around her waist. 

=÷=

152