Chp 23 – Edumacation (Part 2)
4.6k 25 136
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry for the delay guys and gals. I had and still have life stuff going on. My discord is the best place to contact me regarding this series, especially if you want to give suggestions. And as always, favorite if you like, comment if you have anything else to say. Also I know my pacing is bad, but keep in mind that pacing is a huge aspect of any writing and I don't have the time to edit for it or the experience to do it well on the spot.

https://discord.gg/Q7hQgPh

Chapter 23 - Edumacation (Part 2)

Tyler Riddle

Jess huddled against me as we made our way over to the front office so we could check her out. My hand stroked her back to provide some notion of support, and I did my best to obscure her tear-stricken frame from the views of onlookers. 

Most people were considerate enough to not stare, but a few had to be given the crazy eye before they wisened up. The bell for first period rang and the crowded hallways swelled with the movement of people before settling down once again. Gwen's probably wondering where I'm at since I'm not in Bio with her. I'll just send her a text in a little bit. Scratch that, it looks like Gwen came looking for me. Gwen came running over to me with a slightly frantic expression. But she doesn't seem to take note of Jess

"Gwen, what's wrong?" I ask.

"Where were you? Class started without you." She asks. Then she finally realized that someone was with me. "Who is this?" Looks like she's just paranoid.

"Her name is Jessica and I'm helping her home. Flash was bullying her along with his cronies, and she's not feeling too good. I'll call you later." I tell Gwen as I part ways with her.

"Who was that?" Jess asks after we get a fair distance away.

"That was my girlfriend Gwen, she just moved here."

"... she's pretty…"

"Yeah, but I like her mostly for her personality and brain. She can get a little too…passionate about some things though. But that's what I like in a girl."

"Personality? Brains? Passion?...I wish I had those…"

"No, uniqueness. And you're plenty unique. Your personality is strong Jess. Normal people don't experience what you went through and not shatter. You're a little hurt, but you'll heal. As for brains, I think it takes a lot of brains for a person to decide not to use their newfound powers openly. Many would do whatever they wanted after they realized what they could do. That is until they are dealt with. And for passion, that's an easy one. Just find something you really like, and pursue it. It grows with time. Are you starting to feel a little better?"

"Yeah, I think I can go to class now."

"I knew you were stubborn too. Don't worry, I won't let you go to class. I'm sending you home to relax even if I have to carry you. See, we're already at the office." I bring her inside the office, sit her down in one of the waiting chairs, and go up to the front desk lady.

"Hello, how may I help you?" 5he front desk lady asks.

"Hello, Jessica here isn't feeling too well. So I helped her over here so she can check out."

"Oh sweetie, what's wrong?" The lady asks Jess.

"She's had some pretty traumatic experiences just recently. She came back trying to start school back up, but not all of the senior class is so supportive."

"Oh...It's really a shame what some kids can get away with for throwing a ball." The lady sympathizes, knowing full well who I was talking about it. Flash's behavior doesn't go unnoticed, just unchecked since his parents have some sway in the school board and he's a really good QB.

"Ok, just have Ms. Jessica sign this and she's free to go." The lady hands me a sign out sheet and a pen which I bring to Jess. 

"Hey Jess, act scared and don't try to help me." I whisper to Jess.

"Huh?"

"You'll see."

Then the moment I've been waiting for arrives, and Flash comes bursting into the office. Once he sees me, he swings a fist towards my face. I let it connect and fall straight to the ground. The desk lady calls for help, while Jess freezes up.

Flash jumps on top of me and starts pounding away at me. The hits don't hurt at all, but I make sure that I start bleeding from my mouth and nose. I make a few bruises start appearing on my face. Then Flash starts choking me. I can make my own air, so I just act like I'm about to pass out, letting him continue acting out in his blind rage. 

Jess was still frozen but from what I could tell in between Flash's punches, she looked horrified. Hopefully it's because she remembered what I said and not because she's actually afraid. I start going limp, stopping my struggle, but Flash is too enraged to stop.

The desk lady returns with three school security guards and the gym teacher who all pull Flash off of me, but I've long since 'passed out' and slowed my heartbeat to a crawl. Jess finally unfreezes and rushes to my side. Then she starts performing chest compressions and CPR, which I didn't know she could do. I thought that the gym teacher or one of the security guards would do it.

Her lips formed a seal around mine as she breathed air into my 'empty' lungs. Her breath smelled sour, but not in a bad way. More like a sour apple, but subtle. I let her repeat herself five times before I take a deep breath, 'waking'. Jess's face was warped in a painful, worrying, expression that looked all too genuine. She held me  in her arms as if I just escaped death.

"Are you ok Kid?" The gym teacher asks, seeing me conscious. I have to keep the act going.

"...I... think so. What happened?" I ask, shaking my head as if I was trying to wake myself up.

"You were in a fight. Do you know your name?" Yeah that was some fight alright. I must have gotten -30 hits on the guy.

"Tyler...Tyler Riddle."

"What's today's date?"

"February...3rd."

"Okay, just sit down and rest. Someone will come to inspect you in a little bit." He tells me. I look at Jess and see her starting to relax a little.

"Are you okay?" I whisper.

"No."

"You know that was just an act right. You didn't have to give me CPR."

"I didn't...ughh you make me angry."

"I'm sorry for scaring you. Okay. I'll make it up to you."

"You better." She threatens, gripping a little too hard for comfort as she 'helps' me up.

A couple of real police officers came by and detained Flash, leaving him in the squad car as they took statements from everyone. Two EMTs came in an ambulance. By then, my face was swollen with multiple cuts and I had bruising all over my face and neck. They checked my injuries, but concluded I didn't suffer from anything that I needed a hospital for. They bandaged my wounds and gave me an ice pack for the swelling before leaving. I thought I could leave with Jess, but I guess I caused too much commotion. Students started appearing to see the commotion. From within the small crowd, Cindy came running to me.

"Tyler! What happened? Are you ok?" She asks, panic stricken.

"I'm fine. I let myself get beat by Flash." I whisper.

"Why would you do that? And who is this? Another Spider-Girl?" She whispers into my ear, gesturing to Jess who she just noticed.

"Because I needed him gone from school. And no, she is not another Spider-Girl, she is Jessica. You should still remember her."

"Hi, I'm Jessica, Jessica Jones. The girl that was in a coma for a couple months. Flash and his buddies were trying to bully me over it, so I thought the whole school knew about it." Jess introduces herself to Cindy, flexing a grip on my right hand with her left, and going for a handshake with her right.

"I'm Cindy Moon, but you can call me Cindy. I'm Tyler's classmate. He's even been over to my house a couple times and met my parents. He's a great cook." She says, returning Jess's handshake. I only visited her house one time, and that was under special circumstances.

"Oh really. That's funny, I had a couple classes with Tyler over the years, so I know him pretty well. He was just taking me home after he stopped Flash from bullying me. I wish he worried more about himself though." They both flexed their muscles, and I could hear the skin on their arms turning taught like leather, their bones letting out subtle creaks.

"Okay. Now that you two are introduced, let's all skidaddle before Gwen and Nia show up. Oh, too late… they're already here." Gwen and Nia both came running like bloodhounds smelling steak, bulldozing people in the crowd to get to me.

"Brother! Who did this to you? I'll kill them!" Nia cries hysterically.

"Calm down! I let myself get beat up. This is all fake." I hiss.

"How dare you do this to your face. It hurts me to see you like this." Gwen says, as she caresses my swollen face.

"Stop being melodramatic. I'll look as good as new when I get home." I tell her, brushing her hand off before giving it a peck. Nia stares at Gwen's hand before turning to Jess.

"Are you Jessica?" Nia asks.

"Yes, that would be me. I suffered from a bit of an accident and tried to come back to school today only for Flash and his gang to hound me." Jess replied behind my shoulder.

"I didn't know you were friends with my brother."

"Well...we aren't...he was just trying to help—"

"What Jess means to say is that we became friends today and that she hopes to get to know all of you much better." I interject, patting Nia's head, passifing her.

"Jess? Aren't we friends? Where's my nickname?" Cindy asks.

"If you can think of a good nickname for Cindy then I will call you by it whenever you want."

"Oh…that's a fair point."

"How about my nickname? Can't you give your own girlfriend a nickname?" Gwen asks.

"We are not doing this right now. You all are going back to class and telling Peter that I'm fine and that his problem is taken care of. Me and Jess here are leaving so she can relax peacefully at home. Everybody agrees with the plan, right? Good." I shut everybody up. "Now Jess, did your parents say if they were coming to pick you up?" I ask her in a gentler tone.

"No. They're at work right now and it takes them a while for them to respond." She replies.

*Ok, I'll walk you home. It's not too far is it?"

"No, it's just a half-hour's walk from here."

"Ok then let's go."

=÷=

136