Chp 28 – Hitting the Streets.
4.3k 26 120
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There are 2 easter eggs in the chapter. Comment below if you find them.

Chapter 28 - Hitting the Streets

"Bacon pancakes. Making bacon pancakes. Take some bacon and I put it in a pancake. Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make. Bacon Pancakes!!!" I sing, flipping a bacon pancake. I decided against eggs and went for bacon pancakes to go with the coffee. The girls were still in the shower after I came back from the store and I'm trying not to listen in on what they're doing, but I'm getting really curious.

I finish setting the table for breakfast when Nia and Gwen walk in wet from the shower.

"Morning Nia, Hello Gwen. How was it?"

"Morning Brother!"

"We talked…"Gwen lets out quietly.

"That's good. Sit down. I made breakfast." I gesture, which they do.

"What did you make for breakfast?" Gwen asks.

"Bacon Pancakes."

"Why?"

"Because bacon makes everything better. Try it." I feed her a small piece of the bacon pancake.

"...I'm uncomfortable with the fact that i enjoy your strange cooking."

"Thank you." I dug into my own set of bacon pancakes. No need for syrup, the bacon fat gives all the flavor and moistness to the fluffy pancakes that anyone would need."Mmmm...I impress myself sometimes." I pat myself on the back, to which Gwen rolls her eyes, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Brother…." 

"Yes Nia?"

"Gwen and I agreed on something."

"Ok.."

"I've decided to recognize your r..rom….romantic relationship with Gwen." She looked like she was about to hurl.

"I wasn't aware there was another option." Besides, didn't we already go over this? Maybe she just didn't admit it to herself before now.

"But only on the condition that she sells you her mind, body, and soul."

"Huh?" What does that mean?

"We both signed a symbolic contract. Nia said she can't accept a female who didn't love you as much as she does." 

"What did you get out of it?" 

"All of Valentine's Day, your next time, and the promise that she won't try to rape you again. I still can't believe you did that Nia."

"It was a necessary evil." Nia grumbles.

"So you guys are okay with each other now if i'm not in the room?" That's what really matters.

"No." They spout out simultaneously. 

"We acknowledge each other and there won't be any direct hostility." Gwen explains.

"Direct hostility huh?" I question.

"Mhmm." Nia hums while chewing her food.

"You two are ruining the taste of these bacon pancakes." They ignore my comment.

"We need you to sign the contract as the owner after breakfast." Gwen says.

"I'll look at it. Personally, I think this is too much. Can't you two just hug each other every now and then?"

"That's gross." mumbles Nia.

"Yeah. Maybe I should just make you two sleep in a different room together until you can settle your differences."

"It's cold at night, You wouldn't make your girlfriend freeze to death?"

"Turn the heater up, plus, there's like 25 blankets in the house. Take a couple, you'll be fine. I'll even go get mattresses while you two are at school."

"But...Brother...You promised I could sleep with you.." Nia looks at me with a look of dread, about to cry. But I see through it, those are crocodile tears.

"And I'm about to unpromise it if you two can't work cohesively. Everything in our life has been in chaos recently, and we need some unity." Nia's eyes start streaming, clearly real tears. Fuck, I messed up. She's just so hard to read.

"Don't bully her!" Gwen commands. I didn't know Gwen would defend Nia like that, I guess there has been some improvement.

"Sorry Nia, I didn't mean that. Of course you can still sleep with me. I'll sign the contract later, okay?" I apologize, patting her head. And on that note, "Gwen, do you have any idea what happened yesterday?" I ask.

"My best guess is that her Brother Complex is worsening. What happened yesterday was probably some sort of build-up of emotions. You should spend more time with her periodically, but I can't think of a more permanent solution." 

"We could try something like microdosing, slowly decreasing her independence?" I suggest.

"Like getting a drug addict clean? But even they have lives and memories outside of their drug of choice. This is far more serious than that. Intentional memory loss might work, but that's a huge risk and probably illegal."

"I'll look for solutions. We can just go with what you said in the meantime….Are you sure about this contract thing? I don't want to tie you down to me." Gwen gives out a small glare and picks up the plates.

"Nia and I have to go to school. What are you going to do?" 

"I'm just going to take care of some of my responsibilities. Then, I'll go around, save a few cats, walk a few old ladies across the street, carry some groceries. You know, to improve my public image. I have to be somewhere at midnight, so I'll make dinner and put it in the fridge for you guys."

"Where are you going?" Gwen asks.

"It's a secret."

"Who will you be with?" 

"A business acquaintance."

"It's not a girl, right?" Nia asks menacingly.

"I'm meeting a guy who i can't tell you about, at a place I also can't tell you about. And I have reasons for not being able to tell you about it. Now can we please move on from this topic?" This place isn't secure against surveillance, and Nick Fury sounded a little too serious for me to talk about too many details of our meeting out loud. 

"If you say so…" Gwen replies, swaggering out of the kitchen and down the hallway.

=<>=

Gwen and Nia set off after maybe 30 minutes of whatever girls do to get ready. Makeup or something I guess. Now time to look at this contract. Is it a contract though? It's not binding in any way. The contract was typed, contained multiple grammatical errors, and it had spaces for names. That means one of them had this thing laying around, probably Nia. The spaces for names were only large enough for one person. Gwen and Nia had to squeeze their handwriting into the spaces to make it fit. And on the bottom, was a space for me to sign, acknowledging ownership. 

Do I really have to sign this though? What if I just destroy it? They wouldn't force me, I'm sure. No, Nia is in an unstable position right now, I should just give in. The punishment clauses talk about death and torture in the afterlife, but c'mon there's no way that's real. I'll just sign it to satisfy Nia. There. It's done.

Now I need to get Professor X's leg harness worked out. I should have given it yesterday. It won't take long, it's a pretty simple setup after all, mostly motors and  a brain scanner. He can learn how to operate it pretty easily. He has CEREBRO after all.

=<>=

I finished  the harness in a little under 30 minutes. The hardest part was making the thing comfortable. I'll take a trip to the school tomorrow, drop off the harness, meet up with Logan, drop off a few of these phones, and maybe do an interview or something to clear my name easier.

Time to hit these streets. I go invisible, morph into my suit, and head out the door towards the loudest grocery store I could find. 

Mmmm… not a lot of old ladies out here. There's a lot of fit guys and gals, but I'm trying to improve my image, not ruin it by acting like a creep. Besides, I need to fulfill the trope, it's sacred. I guess it's my fault for going to a Whole Foods. There, I spotted one. It's a stereotypical old white lady with a slightly hunched back, walking out the store. I turn off my invisibility and walk up to her.

"Excuse me Ma'am. Could I help you carry your grocery bags?"

"Sure Darling. I love your halloween costume." She says, handing me her bags.

"Oh it's not a halloween costume. It's my uniform for work. I'm a street performer and most people think it's cool." People were starting to notice me and point, a few were taping me on their phones, but the old lady didn't seem to notice. Yes, my minions, yes. Raise my popularity. Spread word of my good deeds

"Oh sorry. It's not even close to Halloween. My mind's playing tricks on me. I live a few blocks from here. You don't mind?"

"No ma'am. Not at all." I can carry groceries and help an old lady cross the street all at once. It's like hitting two stones with one bird. 

You know, helping people really does feel great.  

=<>=

120