Chp 39 – Laura’s View
3.4k 21 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 39 - Laura's View

Laura Kinney aka X-23

I still have no idea who these people Tyler took us to, but they aren't the worst, in fact, they're much better than most of the people I have met, even on my missions outside the facility. But other than that, they're on edge. It's almost like they're scared of Tyler. I haven't actually seen him in action, but he's at least shown that he can make practically anything on the spot. And his kindness almost feels like he's smothering me. What does he want? What does he gain? I can't figure him out, and neither has anyone else around him i guess. Regardless, he's been far nicer to me than even my supposed father, Logan. No one's said it outright but all the tension between him and me and my sisters, not to mention my mom. Then there's his smell and similar abilities. Logan seemed to be the only one who really trusted Tyler, so i wonder why he didn't say something to the group. 

I don't think me and my sisters can stay here. All the males here are making them constantly nervous, it's even getting to me. My claws can hardly stay in their sheaths. My balance is off constantly, which is the only reason why neither I nor my sisters haven't gotten off this couch in an hour. Mom seems to be faring better than us, but she's pulled us together so she can console us silently. I still feel dirty. Not even Tyler's washing or these super nice clothes can make me feel clean, though they certainly helped. He's probably the only reason I could sleep last night. It wasn't a good sleep, it was actually pretty awful, but it was quiet. No dreams or nightmares-

"Laura." Mom says to my left.

"Yes mum?" I respond.

"What are you thinking about? You looked lost in thought and I'm...I'm concerned. I don't want you girls to hold anything in, especially after that."

"Mostly, I'm thinking about him."

"Which him?"

"Tyler. He's been very nice and i don't know why."

"There could be many reasons for a person to be nice. It could be a tactic for manipulation, but most people aren't like that. You girls lived around very manipulative and hateful people growing up, so it's no wonder that you can't understand him."

"I guess."

"Mum?" Bellona says from my right shoulder.

"Yes Sweetie?" mom replies.

"What are we going to do now?"

"I think we continue with the original plan. We'll head over to my sister and her daughter, I'm sure they're in some sort of trouble after we escaped. Then we need to find a more permanent and safe residence. This place would work, but it seems to have its own set of problems that we don't need right now. But the first thing is to get transportation. It's...It's clear that we can't hutchike or go by foot anymore, so I'll ask Tyler. I'm sure he'll agree to help more."

"And what about Logan?" Zelda intervenes from mom's left.

"We'll need to have a more in-depth conversation about him another time, but I think we need some stability first before we address, other problems." Mom replies.

"We'll speak of the devil. It looks like Tyler's done eating that tree or whatever he said." Tyler comes back inside the mansion with a very exhausted expression.

"Tyler." Mom calls out to him.

"Yes, Ms.Kinney?" He responds while walking over to us.

"You can call me Sarah, I'm not that old. First, thank you for saving me and my girls. I don't know what would have happened if you didn't show up."

"No one should have to go through what you guys did. I'm sorry I couldn't save the other one. What was her name?"

"Her name was Ruth. She was very quiet. And in truth, we already assumed she was dead weeks ago. So, we've had time to grieve. Still a sore subject though."

"Yeah...loss sticks around for a long time. So what did you call me for?" Tyler's eyes glaze over  briefly as if he's thinking about something.

"I was wondering if you could help us get to my sister and niece. They're in  New York, and that was our original destination before we got captured. After that, could you help us find safe living? None of us feel very safe or comfortable around here. I'm sorry if i'm asking too much."

"No, I'm happy to help. If you're okay with living with other people, then I have a place you could stay."

"Does it have...other males there. The girls probably won't be able to cohabitate like that." I think i would be fine, but i can't say it wouldn't be hard.

"I was planning on having Ms. Sutter and her son stay there, but other than them and two other girls, the place is empty. And I have much more space I need. Though it's not technically living material right now, I am planning on renovations. It's an old shipping facility."

"That sounds good. What do you plan on doing with Kimura, Rachael, and the liquid metal girl?"

"Honestly, I don't know. I'm still feeling it out. I'll find some kind of work for Ms.Sutter and Kimura can be doing some kind of labor along with some reeducation. If the girls need to blow off some steam, they could always use her as a sparring partner. The Mercury girl seems to be waking up gradually and when she does so fully, I'll help her like I'm helping you guys." That sounds nice. I have years worth of bones to pick with Kimura, and I'm sure the same goes for Bellona. Zelda and Gabby weren't so stubborn, so they don't have as many bad memories of her. The other two, I don't really know them that well, so i dont have much of an opinion on them. 

"I guess that's fine. Thanks again Tyler."

"You're welcome Sarah. I'll just take care of a few things and borrow one or two cars from the professor. With so many people, we might need two drivers. I'm sure Logan will be happy to help."

"He's actually part of the reason why I want us to leave. I just can't bear to look at him with anything but anger. He could have helped us before...everything." Mom's fists clench.

"He's been through a lot. Can you at least give him the chance to redeem himself?"

"He can have his second chance sometime, but not now. I'll drive if necessary."

"Thanks Sarah. I'm sure the Professor has a large SUV we could take. Just meet me in the parking garage in the basement, let's say 20 minutes?"

"Ok." Tyler starts walking off, but Gabby calls out to him.

"Tyler." Gabby says.

"Mmm?"

"Can you make me a gun? Like a semi?" Her cute face looks up to him.

"..." He looks at her silently.

"..."

"I really want to pat your head." He says.

"Give me a gun and I'll let you." she gives a strange smile.

"Nah, you'll just try to use it on me. Just know that no matter how angry you act, it only makes you cuter. You can have a whole armory when I set you guys up. And that goes for you too Bellona, Zelda, Sarah, and Laura." Me? "I'll try to help you guys with anything, so just ask. Chow." He heads off upstairs, leaving us to struggle to get up. Is he nice, is he manipulative? I guess I have plenty of time to find out.

=<=>=

96