Chp 40 – Family First, Food Second
3.4k 18 98
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 40 - Family First, Food Second

Sarah Kinney

I had the girls get up as soon as I could instill them with the energy to. Physically, the girls were mostly fine, just sore really. It was the mental trauma that caused their lethargy. I didn't seem as affected because 1. I have to be strong for my girls and 2. It wasn't my first experience like that…

Once the girls were up, I had them stop for a restroom break and then we headed for the parking garage downstairs. We didn't have anything with us besides the things Tyler gave us since he rescued us. 

The parking garage was very spacious and brightly lit. There was one large open space in the middle and a row of vehicles on both sides. Some of the vehicles looked advanced and modern, others looked normal from the outside, but I'm sure the inside was much more than meets the eye. Rachael and her son were over by a very large black SUV that should fit 10 people with a little trunk space to spare. 

"Hello, Rachael. Do you know where Tyler is?" I ask.

"He told me he had to pick up Kimura and the Mercury girl, I think her file said her name was Cessily or something." She replies.

"He should be back soon then."

"Hey, Sarah...you know...I'm sorry, about everything. I –"

"It's OK. You were very helpful when you could. I understand, everyone had it rough working in the place and we all did things we regret. Anything after our escape was out of your hands. I just can't understand why you would marry that man. He was so emotionless that I can't imagine you falling in love with him."

"He wanted to experience what it would be like to have a family. And working for him in such a dangerous and secretive environment with no status or power, I didn't have the right to refuse. I certainly grew attached to him, but I don't think it was love. I just didn't have anyone else until this little guy came along. It's tough though. I'm worried about the future for us. Right now Tyler is my only real plan, and that's not even a plan, he's just a person."

"It seems like we're all in a similar situation," I reply. 

Then Tyler enters the garage carrying a fully formed and clothed Mercury in his arms with her arms around his neck. Kimura shuffles behind him in chains. She looks pissy like always, but a little less so.

"Hey guys, sorry for the extra wait, I was busy with Mercury. I thought she was awake since she latched onto me, but she's still knocked out cold. I'll have her riding shotgun and Kimura will go into the trunk while you guys can decide everything else. Has Henry and everyone else taken a bathroom break? The more time we're traveling, the more dangerous it is." Tyler says while opening the passenger door and putting Mercury down inside.

"Yeah, Henry and I went to the restroom earlier." Rachael answers.

"And the girls?" He asked, looking over the hood.

"Who cares about those twerps?" Kimura mumbles under her breath.

"I do Kimura. Now be nice so I don't have to gag you." He shouts.

"Heh Kimura, long time no see. I swear you look like you enjoy those chains." I nag Kimura as she passes me.

"You always were such a pain in the ass." She replies. 

"I'm assuming everyone is ready so get in. No arguing while on the road, we have a long drive ahead of us. First, we need to stop and check up on Sarah's family. Then we can finally get everyone to a more permanent residence."

=<>=

New Haven, NY

2 hours later…

The ride was cramped, to say the least. Thankfully it was quiet save for the plethora of songs streaming from the radio. Somehow we never hit a red light. I think it had something to do with Tyler and his A.I. daughter, but I didn't have the energy to indulge in conversation, not when I need it for what's to come. The tension generated by Kimura's presence was strong, but my girls are used to it, so they slept soundly. It's probably better than letting them think while awake.

I've never been to my sister's place. She told me she was married, but that was years ago and I haven't really talked to her since then. Just too many bad memories for me to try and sustain a relationship. Her house was a decent size, nothing ex an agent since she was working as a Dental Hygienist la I heard.

"Okay, we're here, 87 Kellett Street, New Haven, New York. We're arriving unannounced. So Sarah, how do we approach this?" Tyler turns off the car and looks at me.

"I'll take the girls over and introduce them to each other and then I'll convince them to leave with us as soon as possible. You can stay here and look out for trouble. I'm sure that someone is watching this place." I reply while unbuckling the girls as they wipe their eyes.

"Okay, it would be better if they drove their own vehicle if possible. I'll be there to help if you need me." Tyler replies baI get out of the car with the girls and hand comb the girls' hair real quick. Then I take the cobbled steps to the front door. Deep Breath in. Deep Breath out.

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

I blow one of my long bangs out of my face while waiting anxiously. A few seconds later, the door opens and reveals my sister. An almost spitting image of me but with short black hair parted towards the back highlighting the family's green eyes. She's wearing her standard blue jeans and loose dress shirt that she always wears, only in different colors. Her style never did change huh.

"Sarah?" She asks uncertainly.

"Hello, Deb. It's been a long time. Sorry for arriving without notice. There's a lot we have to talk about, mind if we come in?" I ask.

"...Sure, come in." She opens the door wider for us to enter and closes the door after checking out the SUV we arrived in.

"So these 4 are all yours? They look almost like spitting images of you. It's been so long since I've seen you. What's been going on with you?" She asks.

"Yeah, they're all mine. Technically clones, which is why they all look so similar, but I don't feel any differently about them. This is Laura who you met a few years ago and this is Zelda, Bellona, and Gabby. It's been hectic recently. Mind if we sit down?" 

"Sure, sure." She leads us to a living room with two loveseats across a coffee table where we all sit down.

"Where's my niece, Megan?" I ask.

"She went out with her boyfriend earlier, but she should be back home soon. She spends most of her time drawing or with him. She never really recovered after her abduction. Still gets a lot of nightmares...I'll never be able to repay you and Laura for saving her. Even after everything with dad when we were kids…*sob*...sorry, it's just a lot to see you after all these years. Sorry girls." Deb breaks down and rubs her temples.

"I agreed to move on from that Deb. We can't change the past. What's done is done. I stopped praying for his suffering in Hell when I had Laura. And I'm sorry about Megan. The girls and I have had our own bad spots lately. But that's not why we came here."

"Why did you come here?" She wipes her eyes and asks.

"You know the nature of my work was secretive and dangerous, to say the least. But that's how I got my girls, so I don't regret it despite all the dangers it's put me through. But I wanted them to have a better life so we left that place. The girls are seen as valuable property by my previous employers and will do practically anything to get their investment back. Their previous attempt, while unplanned, was pretty cruel."

"What are you saying?"

"I think that my previous employers will try to use you and Megan to get to us. I'm sure they already have you under watch."

"I've started noticing a few minor things a few weeks ago after Megan got her boyfriend, but I thought I was just being paranoid. What do we do?"

"You're not mad that I'm dragging you into this?"

"I have so much to make up for Sarah and it's never stopped eating me out from the inside. I don't have the right to be mad."

"Well, Me and the girls have been getting help from this guy named Tyler. He's weird but very nice. I don't know much about him, but I trust him for now. He's taking us to a place to lie low for a while. I haven't had much time to think of a plan beyond that."

"Is he trustworthy? What does he want?"

"I can't imagine him wanting anything from us. And he hasn't given me any reason not to trust him. I think you'll understand when you meet him." As I assure Deb, the door opens.

"Hey mom. I brought Desmond–" A spiky blond goth girl showed up with a relatively modest amount of leather and piercings, stopping when she noticed us. Behind her was a boy with ambiguous looks. He could be 16, he could be 24. The boy gives me weird vibes.

"Hey Megan, welcome home. Sorry Desmond, but could you head back home, we have family over." Deb gets up and walks over to the pair.

"Mom…" Megan starts.

"Of course Ms. Kinney. See you later babe." The boy kisses Megan on the cheek and glances over at us before pulling something out of his back pocket. Then, he launches it into the air before running out.

 It all happens in a split second. A glass vial filled with a grey gas flips through the air and I leap to catch it on instinct. I catch the vile with an outstretched hand but it cracks slightly when I land. I look at I see a thin stream of gas dissipating into the air. I smash a window with my elbow and chuck it outside.

I think that was the trigger scent used by the facility to make the girls feral. I look back at them and they're definitely affected, but they don't seem to have completely lost control. Their eyes are dilated and their claws and barbs are extended in Bellona's case. Their stances are hunched as they puff hot breath. 

"Deb, Megan, stay back from the girls."

"Aunt Sarah?" Megan asks me before looking back to where her boyfriend ran off.

"Yes it's me, Sarah. I need you to listen and focus. Back away from the girls slowly." I goad Deb and Megan away from the girls who are giving off predatory stares. 

Then Tyler runs in with his suit and jabs the girls in the neck and shocking them. All of them fall except for Laura who attacks him. She swipes at him in blind fury but he barely avoids most of them as she jumps around. Her claws produce sparks when it comes into contact with his suit. It seems to be protecting him, but it slowly rips apart. He tries to punch her but she naturally squats and plunges her claws into the side of his stomach where she scraped away the armor.

Tyler's eyes bulge and he lets out a restrained and painful moan for then he grabs onto Laura and runs his free hand over her shoulder area, putting some sort of metal coating over her. She fights back with her other claw but he catches her arm and does the same to her other shoulder. Her feet claws extend and she jumps up to try and stab his thighs. Tyler throws her away onto the stovetop in the kitchen, smashing tile and the oven. I quickly look over to my girls and then move to get a better angle at the fight, still cautious of getting too close. A piece of flesh hung from Laura's claw. Tyler clutches his abdomen which was oozing blood all over the floor. My gag reflex kicks in little at the sight, but then a massive flash of bright white light flashed and I go blind. I hear more scuffling and when my eyes finally adjust, I see Laura wrapped up in solid metal bands and Tyler behind her, giving her a chokehold. She tries to squirm but he holds fast. Tyler glows a bit with a blue light and then Laura flashes in the same color and I briefly see her skeleton. She falls to the ground in a smoking heap. Tyler slides to his butt next to her and I run over to check on them. 

"Laura?" I put my ear to her mouth and hear her take tiny breaths. She's still alive.

"Laura will be fine. I just knocked her out for a while. Hopefully, she's out long enough for the effects of the trigger scent to wear off. Same with the other girls." Tyler coughs out. 

"Tyler! Let me go get a towel. DEB, DO YOU HAVE ALCOHOL?" I yell out.

"Pipe down Sarah. I'm...fine. The wound is cauterized. I just need...some time for the painkillers to kick in. Go...go check up on your family." He waves me off weakly and closes his eyes.

"Tyler, stay awake. Don't fall asleep." I tap his face.

"Did you listen to me at all? I'll be fine."

"To hell with you'll be fine. A sizable chunk of you is on the floor and you're not growing it back."

"And it fucking hurts, but it'll grow back in time. Not as fast as Logan or Laura, but it'll be fine. So let me rest, woman." He grunts and closes his eyes again.

"Fine then, be like that." I shoot a glare and then go back to the living room to find Megan and Deb missing. I hear shouting outside and I run out to see Megan's boyfriend on the ground with Kimura sitting on top of him with a knife to his throat. Megan and Deb are looking on.

"I can't believe you were a spy and on top of that you kept trying to get into my pants," Megan screams at her boyfriend.

"Babe, I really love you. This and that are two different things." He squeezes out. 

"SHUT THE FUCK UP Desmond! If that's really your name. You manipulated me from day one." She responds in rabid fury with black eyeliner streaming down her face.

"Yeah, shut up loverboy." Kimura goads.

"Why are you helping them Kimura? You know the reach the facility has." He shouts.

"I'm more afraid of the man who knocked you on your ass when you ran out. He's fucking mean, and a brute, and an asshole. And scarier than anyone at the facility. The Facility lacks strong fighters. Me and the girls I had under my control was really all it had. Now they don't have the girls. And they never treated me well enough for me to stay loyal."

"The facility may not have employees like you anymore, but they have the money to buy your head hundreds of times over. All of you are so do—"

"We'll see about that." I interrupt. "Kimura, please take him what his name is and gag and bind him somewhere. Deb, please take Megan and pack whatever you can into your car in the next 5 minutes. I'm sure people are on their way and we don't want to be here when they arrive." I ordered everyone and we split up.

Rachael gets out of the truck, leaving her son Henry and helps me drag the girls back into the Truck as fast as possible. Kimura goes back into the house and helps a lethargic Tyler out of the house. That's a sight. Before we know it, everyone is in vehicles and on the road. Tyler is sitting in the back next to Henry and I'm upfront.

"Tyler are you okay? What happened to you?" I hear Henry ask.

"I'm fine buddy. Just fine. After a short rest, my HP will be back to 100." Tyler replies jokingly.

"Don't be silly, the real world doesn't work like a video game." 

"You'd be surprised, little buddy."

"Tyler will be fine Henry," Rachael assures her son.

"Okay." He replies.

"Sarah, please drive by Braums, I need burgers and ice cream. Just listen to whatever the voice on your phone says, her name is Cortana." Tyler says from the back.

"What? We can't go get Braums, people are tracking us." 

"It'll be taken care of. We have time for food now that we took care of your sister and niece. Now no more questions from anybody."

=<=>=

98