Chp 59 – Regret
2.1k 12 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 59 - Regret

 

10 years ago

 

Malcolm Riddle (Father of Tyler) POV

 

"Come on, Malcolm, it's time for dinner." Maria smiles at me as she puts everyone's food down at the table. But I know it's not a real smile, no, all that lies in her eyes is disdain and thoughts of vengeance. And if it is a real smile, it is only at the thought that she will get to cuddle our--her son goodnight. I can't say I blame her, though, I just wish that I could have her as my best friend again.

 

I sit down at the table across from Maria and reach my hands out to my children. Tyler takes mine and his mother's greedily, while Nia hovers her hand over mine, almost recoiling at my touch. I know, your father is irredeemable. 

 

"Why don't you do the prayer today, Tyler?" I ask.

 

"Okay!...Dear heavenly father-" 

 

I silently replace the name of his God with Bast, and I'm sure Nia and Maria are doing the same with Tyler's in their heads. If it were up to me, Tyler would know our true faiths or at least have none. But like so many things nowadays, it's not up to me.

 

"--Amen!" Everyone waits until Tyler begins to dig into his food first. He's so oblivious, I can only imagine the horrors he'll face when he comes of age.

 

Maria eats elegantly while watching Tyler. Nia takes half bites of her food, probably so she can feed the other half to her brother. Tyler smiles brightly as he talks and jokes with us all. As for me, I eat to keep up appearances, food has long-lost its taste to me. It either tastes poisonous, because it is, or bland because it isn't. I'm just happy everyone else is happy, and if they could all get along, then that'd be a dream come true.

 

Dinner finishes as usual, with Nia feeding her brother and Tyler receiving a warm glass of milk. 

 

Nia's choice of movie is The Lion King for the 11th time in a row, for reasons that probably escaped the makers of the movie. I try to stay awake the best I can, surely I can beat Tyler at least…

 

And after much singing, I finally cut off the TV and everyone gets up.

 

"Malcolm, can you wash the dishes? I'm going to put the Nia and Tyler to bed." Maria asks. That's my cue to get out of their house ASAP and go to one of the free apartments.

 

"Of course. Goodnight Tyler, goodnight Nia."

 

"Goodnight Pops!" Tyler says, giving me a hug.

 

"Night Dad." Nia says in a rehearsed manner, her eyes full of hatred.

 

I know you may never forgive me, but one day, I'll do right by you, Nia.

 

=<=>=

39