Chp 64 – Peter Parker
559 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 64 - Peter Parker

 

"I'm fine, really."

 

"You look lost and hopeless, like one of the many homeless outside.  That's not a look someone as young as you should have.  I can tell you don't want to go home, so stay here for the night."

 

"Aunt May, I can get a hotel room if I need to."

 

"Nonsense, you will stay in Peter's room and he can decide if he wants to take the couch or not. I won't hear another word about it."

 

I look at Uncle Ben behind her and he shrugs.

 

"Just give up."

 

"Okay."  I give in.  It's not like I have anywhere else to be.


"Good.  Well, you know your way."

 

I walk behind Peter into his room and sit on a beanbag chair in the corner.

 

=<=>=

 

"Tyler, wake up."  A voice whispers as I'm shaken about.

 

"I don't listen to sleep demons,"  I mumble.

 

"Please, I really need your help."

 

My eyes burst open and I see Pete inches from my face.

 

"What time is it?"  I ask.

 

"6:00 a.m."

 

"Did you even sleep?"

 

"Yes."

 

"What, 2 hours?"

 

"3"

 

"...what do you want help with?"  I sit up in the chair and wipe the sleep from my eyes.

 

He picks up a vial on his desk, shakes it, and opens it, letting loose a torrent of silky silly string that covers the room and me.

 

"So I created this liquid that reacts with air to expand into this stringy stuff.  And I think there's some potential for this, but it's too weak."

 

"What's it made from?"  I croak.

 

"I isolated a few of my proteins and enzymes.  And with a little inspiration from spiders, I mixed them together.  They produce the liquid under electricity and x-rays."  He hands me some papers with the chemical processes on them.

 

"This is spit and-"

 

"Blood plasma.  My body is drowning in pheromones and I don't know why."

 

"I was hoping you'd be engaged in a different combination of biology and chemistry in your bedroom.  I bet MJ hasn't been in here once."

 

"We.. uh.. had an argument so she doesn't want me to think she's easy."

 

That's good.  The MJ from the comics isn't exactly who I would want for Peter.

 

"So what do you need my help with?"

 

"I just told you.  The string needs to be stronger."

 

"First, this is basically spider silk.   And second, you could come up with 10 different solutions faster than I could come up with one."

 

"Speed is not the determining factor of intelligence."

 

"By definition it is."

 

"But in practice, it’s not.  And practically, all 10 of my solutions sacrifice either volume or shape. I've never seen anything like this. For a liquid to almost instantly react with the air and form both a complex micro and macrostructure is a big deal."

 

"Your fancy new computer-" 

 

"Tells me that it's impossible.  No matter how many simulations I run.  But it's not impossible is it?"

 

"Why does it seem like you think I already have an answer?"

 

"Because you do."

 

"I'm not even fully awake yet."

 

"I'm really good at picking friends, aren't I?"

 

I let out a sigh and fall back into the chair.

 

"Make the solution incorporate air into the structure instead of just reacting with it."

 

"But that would just create an unorganized blob."

 

"Not if you pass current through it."

 

"...You want me to use the string-"

 

"Webbing."

 

"To form a carbon nanotube structure literally from thin-air that increases the webbing's strength and durability."

 

"It's just what I would do. You might be able to mess around with the biochemistry of it to come up with a different launching platform."

 

"No thanks, I'm not starting over.  I like the idea, but there's a lot of problems."

 

"You can tell me about them when the sun rises."

 

"The carbon tubes would conduct so much heat and electricity, that the webbing would melt or short circuit anything it touches during activation.  And the nitrogen in the atmosphere could create explosives at the wrong altitudes." 

 

Doesn't sound like too much of a problem.

 

"Run a second current that binds the nitrogen to the outside of the tubes. It should insulate the tubes."

 

"Okay, there's just one problem."  He says, looking at some notes.

 

"Just one?"

 

"How do you control where the tubing forms in the structure?"

 

"Just think of a supporting nano-structure.  If you come up with a design, wake me back up and I'll make it for you."  I close my eyes and turn to the side.

 

I try to go back to sleep, but I can't.  Horrible visions of Nia and my mother going crazier than they already are while I'm gone fill my head.  They might end up as mumbling shambles if I'm gone too long, or they might murder the mailman, or they might just take their own lives.  But  I know what happens if I go back, and I don't want to, even if Gwen is there to comfort me.  I can't sleep, so I don't.  I just pretend I am while I listen to Peter tinkering away like nothing between us or the world has changed.

 

"Alright.  I'm finished.  I don't know how you're going to make something so complex, but here."

 

I grab the paper behind my back and look it over. The paper has more numbers listing the measurements and precise chemistry of the 'nozzle' than images are showing what it looked like.

 

I take a moment to memorize the thing before I slowly form a modified version of the nozzle attached to a supercapacitor and a thin gauntlet.  I made sure it looked like one of those tacky, bulky spider-man web-shooters I bought at the toy store when I was a kid.  It looked like cheap plastic but it's cushioned to fit Peter's wrist and durable enough to even a heated Adamantium blade.  I make another one and throw the pair at Peter.

 

"What's this?"

 

"Congratulations Peter.  You did it.  The webbing will probably oxidize and dissolve without current applied to it, but I'm sure you can work out the kinks."

 

"...You know that coffee place near the school, Joe's?"

 

"Joe Shmo."

 

"Let's get some breakfast there."

 

"It's too early for that."

 

"It's either we leave now or Aunt May sees you and decides to drive us all to get your name changed to Parker."

 

"Okay, let's go." He pulls on my arm and brings me up before heading to his window.

 

"Just because we can walk on walls doesn't mean we have to climb through windows."

 

"You can't climb these walls, the paint and bricks around here would sooner break than hold our increased weight." He opens the window and hops down onto the pavement below.  In broad daylight.

 

I'm too tired to argue with him, and I jump down next to him and we walk a couple of miles to the inner city where the coffee shop is.

 

A lot of the stores have been broken into by robbers, but it seems the service businesses like the coffee shops have had a better time than the rest.

 

Peter orders our drinks while I get a table at the window.

 

"I didn't know if you still liked sugar or not, so I just got you extra cream,"  Peter says, placing the cup in front of me.

 

"Thanks."  I take a sip of the coffee and focus on the bitterness flooding my senses.

 

"Look who just walked in.  Cindy's waving at you."

 

"It would make more sense if she was waving at you,"  I respond, putting my forehead into the table so I don't feel tempted to look at Nia and Gwen's entourage.

 

"I doubt it, she still hates me for beating her at the state science fair.  She also almost puked when I brushed by her the other day.  She avoids me like the plague."

 

"Wonderful…that's just perfect."

 

"Alright, out with it.  What's your deal?  Is my best friend feeling sorry for himself that he’s just a chick magnet?"  He pokes my arm.

 

"Yes. No."

 

"Which one is it?"  He asks, but I can hear him motioning to Cindy that I said hi.

 

"It's only part of a larger problem."

 

"Which is…"

 

"...Nia raped me,"  I whisper.

 

"What?"  he asks, not hearing me.

 

"Nia raped me," I say a tiny bit louder. Suddenly he stands up and starts speaking loudly.

 

"WHAT?! DID YOU JUST SAY YOUR-"

 

I shoot my hand up and around his mouth. I can feel him smile underneath my grip and he pries it open easily before sitting back down.

 

"Relax, I'm just trying to lighten you up."

 

"Mission failed."

 

"When did it happen?"

 

"After I asked Gwen out."

 

"That was a while ago, so that's not why you're like this."

 

"...Nia brought my mom back from hell last night and now I'm wondering whether my entire childhood was a lie or only parts.  Just how mentally broken are my mother and sister?  How can my father justify killing his wife and still not hate her for what she did to him?  Why is Gwen and every person I know taking their sides?"

 

"..The universe loves balance.  Maybe having me as your friend and Gwen living with you was just a little too much for God to give you."

 

"Your humor only makes people angry."

 

"I know you love it."

 

"..."

 

"So is your mom fully back or is she a zombie?  Maybe something closer to those vampires last night?"

 

"How'd you know those were vampires?" 

 

"I've watched enough Dracula movies with you to know what a vampire is.  With our powers and the President acknowledging these 'mutants', I don't get that surprised anymore.  I wouldn't bat an eye if you said the myths are real."

 

"She's more of a ghost I think.  She looks kinda like a banshee, but you can touch her."

 

"...It must suck to realize the people closest to you have been lying to you."

 

"It sucks balls.  And I'm even more sorry for lying to you than I was before."

 

"Yeah well, in retrospect I don't have too much of a right to blame you."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Tyler, you're the dumbest smart guy I know.  Sisters hang on their brother's every word.  They don't pay their brother's best friend so they can find out what his favorite Star Wars movie is."

 

"The Clone Wars animated series."

 

"And they definitely don't start fights with every girl their brother talks to."

 

"How am I supposed to know, Nia's the only sister I've ever had."

 

"You're the people/psychology guy.  I just figured you didn't care or didn't want to deal with it.  And yeah your mom and dad were kinda shady, especially when I stayed over, but I know they loved you."

 

"The kind that requires mental gymnastics, maybe."  He grips my shoulder.

 

"Hey, look at me."

 

I look up at his serious expression.

 

"If I thought that they hurt Nia in any way, I would've spoken up.  That's what this is really about. You don't do what you've done to yourself then get upset when someone does something to you.. Remember that one kid picked on us when we're at the playground?"

 

"Which one? Kids are mean."

 

"The one who you tricked into knocking himself out on a metal rail."

 

"You make me sound like a psychopath."

 

"Well, you don't usually get diagnosed unless it impedes your functioning.  But anyway, after you did that, one of his friends said something about Nia and you trashed the kid's entire life story like you knew him inside and out.  The school counselor had us sitting in therapy sessions for a week."

 

"You're not making me sound any better."

 

"The point is that everyone knows that you love NIa like she's an angel who could do no harm. And no one who knows you would hurt her in any way."

 

I sigh and look over at Gwen, Nia, Cindy, Liz, and Jessica all chatting it up. Cortona probably told Gwen where I was.

 

"I'll give you a 7 out of 10."

 

"8.4 out of 10."

 

"It would've been better if you told me some weird quote that makes a lot of sense as long as you don't think about it.

 

"Uncle Ben always tells me that with great power comes great responsibility. I know you think that because you have so many great abilities that you have a responsibility to everyone around you.  But you have a responsibility to yourself first.  Even before Gwen or Nia or your undead mom, or even me.  No one wants to know that they're the reason you collapse."

 

"...I bet my mom fed you magic cookies so you'd say that."

 

"Dude, your mom makes the best muffins."

 

"...I'll give you a 9 out of 10. Minus one point for not using exact quotations."

 

"Dude, you're so lucky you don't have to take Ms. Marten's English class anymore."

 

"Come on, let's go say hi."  I get up and down the rest of my coffee before walking over to the table of girls.

 

I put my hand on Gwen's shoulder and she puts hers over mine.

 

"Hey guys, I thought me and Peter would be the only ones up this early." 

 

"Gwen got a complimentary package at the Greenwich Hotel, so us girls are going to the spa there to hang out" Cindy says.

 

Gwen grips my hand and I thread my fingers through hers.  It's not really my money anyways.

 

"That sounds nice.  Is MJ going with you guys?"

 

"She's going to join us later."  Jess answers.

 

"We're also going to plan a party at my house this Sunday.  Are you gonna come?"  Liz asks.  She looks a lot better than she did last night, her heart only skipping a beat when she addressed me.

 

"Of course Liz.  Who else is going to be there?"

 

"Just us and whoever Harry decides to bring along."

 

"Alright, well we won't intrude on your girl's time.  Hopefully, I can catch you guys again later."

 

I let go of Gwen's hand, kiss her on the cheek and ruffle Nia's hair before leaving with Peter.

 

We almost make it back to his house before Peter gets the courage together to ask me a question I know he's been thinking.

 

"So, uh Tyler, do you…"

 

"Yes, it's technically possible to bring back your parents."

"I actually wasn't ready to ask that question."

 

"Oh, sorry. What did you want to ask?"

 

"How was doing the deed? With Nia, I mean. You don't have to answer."

 

"I'm not gonna lie, it felt and still feels nice.  I sometimes feel bad about it, but I feel even worse when I think about her problems.  She can't keep her personality straight for more than a few hours and she makes mental patients look sane."

 

"Have you thought about treatment?"

 

"I'm fairly certain she would die of shock or kill anyone that kept her from me.  I'm always walking on eggshells with her, and day by day, she only gets worse."

 

"Have you tried treating her yourself?"

 

"I've tried putting a few treatments in her diet, but for whatever reason, they don't work.  That branch of biology isn't my forte and she'd probably have a fit if she found out.  Not only is she crazy, but she also wants to be that way, and if possible, she wants to be even worse."

 

"Sounds…difficult.  And I thought you were the headcase in the family."

 

"I wish I could come up with something bad to say about you."

 

"I can't stand talking to dumb people."

 

"That doesn't sound like a character flaw."

 

"You know it is."

 

"...Peter, you can bring back anyone from the dead.  It's a last-case scenario most of the time, but you can do it.  From what I know, you usually have to bribe the owner of the soul or steal it."

 

"Who are these people that supposedly own souls?"

 

"In most cases, it depends on the person's religion.  It might be a god from that person's mythology, but most people are either in some form of Heaven, Hell, or Limbo.  There are plenty of people who understand it much more intimately than me."

 

"So say my parents were in heaven, the Christian one."

 

"You leave them there, and you might be able to convince an angel to set up a video call."

 

"And if they were in hell?"

 

"They likely deserve to be there, though I think it's easier to bring someone back from there.  It's just a matter of knowing the right magics.  And I don't know any of that. Do you want to bring back your parents?"

 

"I don't know.  I never really had the chance to know them that well. Aunt May and Uncle Ben seem too scared to talk about them in detail."

 

"But you could find out about them if you really wanted to.  And so could I, but  you don't like hacking, and I don't want to feel the need to keep secrets."

 

"..."

 

"If you ever feel the desire to bring someone back, let me know first.  The price of cheating Death is up to her."

 

"Death is a person, and a she?"

 

"Depending on how you look at it, yes."

 

"I think I need a break from your info dump."  He pinches the bridge of his nose.

 

"While we're on the subject of Death, you know what happened last night?  Uncle Ben usually dies while or after you're fighting."

 

Peter stops in his tracks and just looks at me.  I give him a shrug and he sighs before he rejoins me.

 

"I want new friends."

 

"I mean, there's always Harry Osborn.  He's cool as long as he isn't throwing around his money. But he's not as awesome as me."

 

"I heard they're making a special law for cases like his.  He'll probably be set free and have mandated psychiatrist checkups."

 

"Therapy only works if people want it to."

 

"Yeah.  But real talk, is there anything that you're hiding from me that I should know and can't find out for myself?"

 

"In relation to you or the people you care about?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Well you see, there are an infinite number of possibilities and universes.  So that means that there are an infinite number of universes where MJ is just a complete bitch and/or hoe.  There's also a lot of universes where you're simultaneously a huge antisocial asshole and one of my favorite heroes."

 

"What about you and Gwen."

 

"Gwen is always perfect, except for one universe, but that's just because she's with you."

  •  

"Yeah.. I need new friends."

 

"Peter.  I don't have any more secrets.  Believe it or not, I don't know what will happen in the future.  If I did, I wouldn't have to worry about Nia, you, Gwen, or anyone else.  What I do know is that no matter what happens in the future, you'll be fine as long as you stay true to yourself."

 

"...I knew you smoked weed, but crack too?  You need help, Tyler."

 

I go in to twist his nipple and he jumps away.

 

"Hey!  We agreed to no more of that."

 

"I revoke our agreement."  I chase after him.

 

We finally make it back to his house and before I can leave, he pushes me inside.

 

=<=>=

14