Chp 65 – Spider Training
555 7 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Chapter 65 - Spider Training

 

I look down at the ground and the people walking below, and I feel a rush of adrenaline. Thankfully, cars can't drive too fast in New York or we might cause an accident.

 

"Today's the big day. You guys ready?" I ask, turning around to face Cindy and Peter.

 

"Why would I ever be ready to jump off a 6-story building?" Pete asks, pinching at the spandex suit I gave him.

 

"We could all fall from this height and by unscathed. And we're not jumping off, we're swinging."

 

"That doesn't make it any easier."

 

"Come on, Peter, I cannot express how low risk this is for us."

 

"I get it, superpowers this, spider-sense that, but why is Cindy here? We were having bro day."

 

"I agree, I came here under the assumption that we would be having fun. No Parker involved." Cindy chimes in as she subconsciously tries to get distance from him.

 

"Look-"

 

"He smells awful. Like my whole mood tanks when I'm near him." 

 

"You're one to talk! You could use a couple of-"

 

"THE REALITY IS…that you two will be working together at least on some occasions, whether you like it or not. Whether I force you or not. And believe me, I would like almost nothing more for you guys to smell phenomenal to each other, I really would. But this little speck of cosmic dust can't do anything about it, none of us can, at least not yet."

 

"Ok, but can't we try on something smaller?" Peter asks.

 

"We could, but then we wouldn't get the same adrenaline highs."

 

All of a sudden, Cindy jumps off and shoots a web out. She swings from one point to the next, keeping just a few feet between her and the cars, and eventually, she lands on the side of a building a few blocks down.

 

"The last person to the top of the Empire State pays for lunch!" I yell out before diving off the building.

 

Using the hefty amount of metal and steel in or on the large buildings, I emulate the way Cindy swung along the street and land next to her. I stand up on the side of the building and wait for Peter to make his move. 

 

After psyching himself up, he leaps off, shoots out with his web-shooters, and swings. After a few successful swings, he does one massive one, leaping into the sky, and he cheers. Until he crashes into a billboard on the swing back down. 

 

I hold in a chuckle while Cindy just burst out laughing.

 

"I remember you crashing into a billboard just like that one your first time as well." 

 

"Hey! It was very dark outside." She furrows her brows.

 

"But the billboard was well-lit." She shoots me a glare.

 

Peter eventually swings past us on a course straight for Midtown Manhattan.

 

"Where is he going?" Cindy asks.

 

"I told him that the last person to the Empire State has to pay for lunch."

 

Without a second thought, Cindy jumps off and starts swinging into the distance. 

 

"Hopefully that'll get them into the swing of things real soon." I jump off.

 

It's not too long before I pass the both of them, since I can send out an infinite stream of magnetic fields to propel me like a rail gun bullet. That's until the buildings got farther apart. I have to burn more and more energy with each swing, and I start having to wait to send out fields.

 

Peter and Cindy soar over me, waving goodbye.

 

I wait until I know I can't catch up before forming my staff and using it to augment my fields. When I arrive at the top of the Empire State, they're waiting for me with their feet dangling over the edge and their masks off. Peter is checking the batteries and fluid on his web-shooters.

 

"So, what did you guys think?"

 

"I think you're slow," Peter smirks.

 

"Hey!" Cindy chimes.

 

"This is how bros talk." Peter fires.

 

"I had to slow down since the energy required to send out tendrils like I do increase exponentially with distance."

 

"You could use our web-shooters."

 

"I'm not that desperate."

 

"Buullship!" Peter cups his hands around his mouth.

 

"So, what's for lunch? I'm starving." Cindy asks.

 

"Gyro sandwiches." I walk over to the rooftop service door, open it, and pick up the bag of food I left here earlier. Cindy snatches her box of food from me.

 

"So you lost on purpose?" Cindy asks.

 

"That's not important. What is important, is whether you guys had fun or not."

 

"I don't know man, having the ability to pass NYC traffic and constantly skydive, or be a regular kid with a full ride to M.I.T. It's a hard choice." Peter munches on his sandwich and stares at the orange horizon.

 

"My dad is considering moving because of the increased crime"-- Cindy sits on the edge and brushes the hair out of her face --"If I can help, then I think I should. It doesn't even have to be crime."

 

I sit down in between the two and Cindy rests her head on my shoulder.

 

"Well, if you guys intend to take this thing seriously, even if it's just once a month, then we need to have a long discussion on the dangers facing you and this city."

 

"Pass." Peter lays his head on my other shoulder.

 

"With great power-"

 

"I was joking!"

 

"So I heard you're hiring." Cindy shifts her head to look up at me.

 

"What do you want to work as?"

 

"Journalism."

 

"I own a tech company."

 

"Industrial Espionage."

 

"You're hired." Cindy gives a little fist pump.

 

"Really? What am I thinking, of course my best friend lacks morals." Peter says.

 

"I just have a few scientists who I want to keep an eye on. As long as everyone knows the news, it's not espionage."

 

"Well, I will also be working in journalism. I got a job at the Daily Bugle to write their scientific articles." 

 

"Or, or, now here me out. You could be a photographer with exclusive pictures and videos of Spiderman."

 

"Who's that?"

 

"That's you." I pull out my phone and show him an article.

 

"Spiderman brutally destroys billboard. Wow. So cool." He hands it back.

 

"Oh shit, my mom. She wanted me back home by now." Cindy jumps up.

 

"Well, we can hang out like this some other time." I say.

 

"I need an excuse for why I'm late, can you come with me?" 

 

"Peter and I-"

 

"I actually have a test I need to study for. You go ahead."

 

"Awesome." Cindy grabs my hand and jumps off the ledge with me in tow.

 

Behind my back, I give Peter a big middle finger.

 

=<=>=

 

15