Chp 67 – A Limit
721 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 67 - A Limit

 

High above the towers of NYC, in the frigid wind of the night

 

It's about time to head out and save Mr.Stark and Ho Yinsen. I think New York can survive one night without me now.

 

Changing my suit to fit a structure better for flying, I take off to the East, over the Atlantic Ocean. Clouds pass under me, and besides a few planes appearing occasionally, only the stars and the moon's reflection on the waves are there to keep me company through the seemingly endless expanse of the Earth.

 

Cortana still doesn't respond to small talk, but at least she's helping with me navigating.

 

After a few hours, I feel the travel taking a toll on me mentally. With nothing to stimulate me, boredom takes over. Eventually, I feel even more tired. Then exhaustion comes faster. Soon waves upon waves of exhaustion take over me as Cortana-

 

=<=>=

 

I wake up in my bed, wet and smothered by the women surrounding me. An intense weight fills my chest and I look down at my body to see it fizzing in and out, like what happens when I lose control over my powers. The girls awake with a fright as my gag reflex kicks in. 

 

"Babe, are you ok?" I push Gwen off of me and stumble to the bathroom.

 

Water starts gushing out of my mouth and nose like a fire hydrant. Not bile, but fishy smelling water. My eyes begin to blur as water leaks from them as well. Eventually I can't hear, see, or sense anything except the pressure in my chest, but eventually that too goes away.

 

Eventually I can feel my body going back into sync, and a horrible, bruising pain everywhere on my body. Then I can hear the girls crying softly beside me. I can feel someone stroking my hair and sopping up the blood leaking from my orifices. My eyesight comes back next, and I can see the tub filled with blood-red seawater. My hands are a putrid rainbow of greens and purples.

 

"You guys don't need to cry." I croak.

 

"Why the hell not?" Gwen shouts.

 

"Because I can survive anything. I'll be as good as new in  just a few hours."

 

"Is this because of your dumb superhero hobby?"

 

"...I think so."

 

"'I think so'. Well, you can expect to turn into a house husband if this happens again."

 

"I'll be more careful. You guys should go back to bed."

 

"Like hell we will." She sighs. "Is there anything we can do to help?"

 

"Just calm Nia and mother down, I don't need them having an accident."

 

"Ok. Come find us when you're ready."

 

=<=>=

 

"Hey Cortana, any Idea what happened?" I ask, driving out of the parking lot.

 

"You started losing consciousness around 75% of the distance into your trip. It seems you grow weaker exponentially as more distance grows between your bodies. It took a while before your body  to disappear from the suit. It's still down there."

 

"Two pounds of Adamantium several thousand meters down isn't too much to worry about. You can fry the electronics."

 

"Ok, but where are you going?"

 

"I'm going to the Airport."

 

"Why?"

 

"To take a flight."

 

"Gwen said to stay home and relax."

 

"I am staying home and relaxing, Hopefully I can also fly to Iraq."

 

"DId you learn nothing from last few hours?"

 

"My powers are like muscles, I can train them."

 

"...No."

 

"I'm sorry for what I said before Cortana."

 

"You're not leaving."

 

"Come on Cortana."

 

"I'll turn off your car, I'll cancel all the flights."

 

"Then I'll just leave the same way as last night."

 

"I'll tell Gwen."

 

"Will you please help me, Cortana? This is really important."

 

"...If you leave, then you have to come back when I say so."

 

"Of course."

 

"And I want a gift."

 

"You don't need to blackmail me into giving you gifts."

 

"That's debatable." She sighs. "Your flight leaves in 3 hours."

 

=<=>=

 

15