Prologue
2.5k 8 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hell"

If I had to use one word to describe where I am right now, Hell would likely be the most accurate. Although, if I'm being honest, the word doesn't seem to do this situation enough justice.

*BOOM*

Tears cloud my eyes as I run. Screams of terror and wails suffering sound all around me as I make my way home. Men, Women, and Children alike cry out for salvation as the few remaining soldiers desperately try to help as many as they can and get them to someplace safe. Where exactly that is in this hellscape not even they knew. I would help or at least try, but the blood clinging to my clothes is a constant reminder that no matter how much I want to, I can't help anyone if I can't even help myself.

*BOOM*

I need to get home. Father will know what to do. He has to. He always does. Unless Mother is upset that is, in which case he's about as lost as I am right now. That being said, I can't imagine Mother not possibly being upset at the current situation…

Perhaps Kara was right, I may be a bit too cynical for a 12 year old…

*Crack*

I feel more than hear the ground cracking behind me and I look back and see the Science Guild practically split in half and crumble to the ground. I wasn't sure if I should be thankful I left when I did, ignoring the ever so wise opinion of Cal-La the "All-Knowing", or upset that I had to pick today of all days to try and release a new invention instead of staying home as usual. Well, modification to be precise but considering Cal-La probably won't be around to grill me about the specifics anymore, I can probably get away with it, right?

"Kyaa"

I screamed and tripped as something latched on to my ankle. Thankfully my limited training kicked in and I instinctively protected my head before it hit the ground. Though it probably wouldn't have done much damage had I failed to do so thanks to Kryptonians basic physiology. But I'll admit it's a little embarrassing to know I tripped at such a crucial moment. I'm not the most coordinated because I slack off on martial training, well really all training that doesn't involve science, but I should still be above falling over my own feet like a bumbling newbor…

"H-Help. P-Please"

My rather sporadic thoughts pause as a weak voice makes its way to my ears. I turned around only now realizing the thing that caught my leg was a severely charred hand. Looking into the face of the owner of the hand, I was sure my already pale face turned completely white as, although disfigured, burned, hairless, and missing an eye, I recognized who the hand belonged to.

"V-V-Val" I stuttered as I locked eyes with him who was once the bane of my existence.

"H-Help" Again he pleaded with me, someone he always called his lesser. Though with how foggy his eyes are I'm not entirely sure he even knows who he's holding on to.

*BOOM*

The ground quaking explosions continue to sound around us. The screams of the people never belonging to the same person continue to sound off amidst the evacuation sirens that serve little purpose in this situation.

"H-hel.." His voice begins to trail off a bit though the pleading in his eyes never lessened as he continued to gaze into mine. Thoughts completely frozen, I did the only thing I could. The only thing I felt capable of doing. The very thing that would haunt my nightmares and push my actions for many many years to follow.

"I'm sorry" I said as I kicked his hand away as I stood up and turned the other way to continue my run. The look of shock, betrayal, and pure hatred flashed through his one eye so quickly I almost couldn't recognize it before I finished turning.

"I'm sorry" I repeated, unable to say anything else.

"I'm sorry" The tears that constantly cloud my vision begin pouring out like a faucet.

"I'm sorry" Never before had I wished I didn't slack off on my training. I'm sure one of Mother's spells could have saved him.

"I'm sorry" Never before had I felt so ashamed to wear this symbol on my chest. One meant to represent hope.

"I'm sorry" Never before had I wished I wasn't given the freedom to make my own choices. Positive if I had been born like the rest, I wouldn't feel so…

"I'm scared" The sudden realization urges me to pick up my already frantic pace towards the home I see in the distance.

Papa. Mama. Please be home. I'm scared.

As I get closer, I couldn't help but let my thoughts drift back to a time before this nightmare began. Back when things were simpler. Back when things weren't on fire and littered with corpses. Simpler indeed.

56