Awakening
1.3k 0 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Thara POV)

"PAPA! MAMA! DON'T LEAVE ME!"

I'm surrounded by darkness as I chase after my parents' retreating figures. Where are they going? Why aren't they taking me with them? I don't know but I know that if I don't catch them I'll never see them again.

I keep running forward, reaching out my hand, hoping one of them would grab on and pull me forward.

They do no such thing. Only turning their backs on me and continuing to walk away, small steps create so much distance. I don't understand. Why are they leaving?

"Kyaa!"

Something grabbed my ankle and I fell. Too focused on reaching out to my parents to cushion the blow. It hurts. My chest hurts. But I don't think it was from the fall.

"aNd JuSt WhEre ArE YOu GoiNg MurDeRer!?"

A distorted voice comes from behind me. Echoing off the darkness. It sounds furious. Vengeful. As if rage itself was given a voice.

I turn around to see. It's him. It's always him. Burned, disfigured, angry. Val-Li. He starts dragging me back. Back towards the raging flames behind us. Towards the other angry silhouette surrounded by flames glaring daggers at me.

I don't want to go. I'm scared. Someone help!

"yOu Don'T DesErvE tO bE SaVEd!"

No, no, no, no, I don't want this!

"iT ShoUld HavE bEEn YoU!" "YoU ShoUlD HavE sAVEd Us!" "YouR faUlt!" "YOUR FAULT!" "ALL YOUR FAULT!"

No! Stop! Please! I'm sorry! Go away! Go away! Ahhhh!

XXXXXX

[Location:

Unknown]

"Ahhhh!"

I awoke with a scream drenched in a cold sweat. Horrified by that terrible nightmare. It was so vivid. It felt so real. Despite all the fire, I felt so cold. I must be because I begin shaking. I can't help it. It was so scary. I can't help but think about all their rage-filled faces. Why were they so mad? What did I do? I didn't even notice the hands on my shoulders as I was too lost in the memory.

"Easy child. You are safe now. Take deep breaths, in and out. In and out. Hmm? Can she even understand me?" Lost in my nightmare I can barely make out the words of a rather soothing voice although I don't notice it speaks in a language I am not familiar with. If I were more cognizant at the moment I'd be able to deduce I can understand it thanks to the all-speak spell Mother cast on me.

However, right now, I can only try to do as the voice says. It takes some effort to pull off but I manage to get my breathing under control. I start to calm down and am now able to take in my surroundings a little more.

I immediately regret doing so, however, because as soon as I try to focus on my surroundings I am bombarded with so much information I almost blackout again. So many sounds that I'm sure aren't actually this close. Various smells assault my nose, although I'm unfamiliar with most of them I am at least able to smell salt and water nearby. My vision is the oddest of them all. Before I closed my eyes in pain, I could see it shifting between different colors and showing strange sights, almost as if it were switching between different settings. I'm pretty sure I saw someone's bone for a second but that was probably my imagination.

"What is happening with her now?" I heard a different voice sound out this time, although right now I feel like I can hear everything I'm able to tell this one is closer, probably in the same room as me. It sounded majestic and powerful. By the tone, I'd say maybe they belong to a noble house of some kind. It's hard to disguise such natural authority.

"I'm not entirely sure, my queen, but if I had to make a guess I'd say sensory overload. Judging by the way she's attempting to shut them off manually. This used to happen in the past when we had others blessed to become full Amazons. If the things I informed you about earlier concerning her body are true, I have some certainty this might be the case." The first voice sounded off at the request of this 'Queen'. There hasn't been a ruler on Krypton since forever ago. I hope I haven't been kidnapped for some kind of powerplay. Mother always warned about such possibilities when I was younger. Things were always pretty stable with the ruling class so I didn't pay it much mind but it seems I'm yet again reminded that I should take Mother's lessons seriously.

It's strange though. It feels like I'm forgetting something. The thought of Mother makes my chest feel tight making it difficult to breathe. What am I forgetting? I know it was important but I can't remember and with my senses going haywire like this I can't even focus long enough to try figuring things out.

"Young one, I believe you can understand me, yes? I need you to try focusing only on one thing for now. Tune everything else out. Pick something and slowly turn everything else off." The first voice manages to break through the endless stream of sounds going on around me. I hear clashes like fighting, rushing water, talking, chirping, and my own heartbeat.

The voice doesn't sound hostile although it could be a trick to force my guard down. Honestly, right now I don't have much choice but to follow her advice. There is too much going on right now to spend time worrying about a possible kidnapping. In any case, if I have been kidnapped I'm sure Father will be arriving soon. He promised to be there after all.

With another twinge of pain in my chest, I try to calm my breathing again and focus solely on my own heartbeat. The steady rhythm of the thumping in my chest is rather calming and slowly but surely the other sounds and smells began to fade away. It's almost hypnotic listening to your own heartbeat. It feels warm but also slightly hollow. Like something important, that was always there is now missing. I didn't notice but tears had already started raining down my cheeks as I continued to listen to the sad melody of my own heart.

.

.

.

I'm unsure how long I was focusing on my heart but eventually, I try to open my eyes again. This time much more successful and without the constant shifting, I was able to properly get a look at my surroundings.

I appear to be on some kind of stone table? It's oddly not uncomfortable as I expected from such material but I don't spend too much time paying attention to such things. I'm far more curious about the glowing purple beam that's shining down on me. I can feel it revitalize me by the minute even though I don't feel injured in the first place. I wonder who made such a thing? Is there any magic involved? Is the light portable? Is it even the light at all that's healing me? I hope I can find the creator and compare notes, this would absolutely revolutionize the medical industry, as although we Kryptonians are strong I've heard a few still manage to get injured out in the mines for some reason.

"Do you have everything under control now, young one? I'd like for you to tell me if you feel any pain anywhere" The first woman interrupted my thoughts again, this time without my ears wanting to bleed from the volume.

"Yes. Thank you for your assistance. I am fine." I replied precisely but monotonously. Even if she did help me she's still a stranger. Plus I only just realized they have been speaking a language I am unfamiliar with. I'm thankful for the all-speak in this situation or we might have complications communicating. That does beg the question of where exactly am I.

I look over at the first woman. She looks Kryptonian at least. Very beautiful, black hair cut short so it only goes to her shoulders and very attractive green eyes. Green eyes are very uncommon on Krypton but not unheard of. I've never actually seen someone with them myself since I usually try to avoid interacting too much with the masses but I can now say that green eyes are definitely the most attractive color I've ever seen. 

I wonder if she has any children my age? Although I favor my Aunties and Kara's red hair the most I wouldn't mind at least befriending someone with such attractive features. Nothing wrong with looking right?

"It is good that you are well child. Do you remember who you are or what you are called? You appeared to have a head injury when we found you but it seemed to have healed before we brought you in." The woman asks again this time a little slower, maybe worried about overwhelming my senses again? Judging by the fact that she doesn't know me I can conclude this likely isn't a kidnapping. At least hopefully it isn't one. I know there are spells and rituals that require a person to utter their true name, but such things are apparently incompatible with the all-speak active for some reason so I'm not worried about that. It should be fine to give her my name. I don't remember much still but if I were injured and she saved me I at least owe her that much I think.

'Yes. My name is Thara Kal-El of house El." It would be customary in a formal greeting like this to say your parents' names as well, but, while I don't think this is a kidnapping, It could quickly turn into one if she found out about my Father. Although the man is a global hero there are still those that would be happier if he were to suffer a little or just want to have him owe them or something.

I really should start paying more attention to politics. One of these days it's going to come back to bite me in the rump. Luckily enough there are still a few other members of House El running around so even if I do give out my name they shouldn't immediately trace it back to Father. That is if they even know of house El in the first place? Judging by the fact that I see no recognition on her face at the name I can safely conclude she is unaware of the name or its status as a noble house.

...This is worrying. I've had a bad feeling since I woke up and it only seems to get stronger the longer I talk with this woman. I hadn't even taken notice of her strange attire until now nor had I even begun to question the reason behind my senses being dialed up to the maximum not too long ago. I feel like the answer is on the tip of my tongue, but I also feel a slowly creeping sense of dread the closer I come to said answer. While I was dreading having my questions answered the other woman who had been addressed as Queen not too long ago finally broke her solemn silence and asked only a single question.

"So child, would you mind telling us why you've crossed the stars and come to our humble planet?"

Then like a flood, It all came crashing down on me, drowning me in complete and utter despair.

46