Send Forth
1.2k 2 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Later the next day I was escorted to the highest point on the island. On the way, I was told the location was called the Temple of Aphrodite. Apparently one of the goddesses that helped create both the island and the Amazonians themselves.

We, or maybe just I now? Anyway, Kryptonians have a similar history. We were said to have been created by the Firebird, the daughter of Rao. Created to serve as the warriors of Rao, it gave us the power to harness his light and obtain immense power. Or so the legend goes. There is certainly truth in fiction, but aside from being able to absorb sunlight, there were never any records of the whole warrior thing anywhere. So I assume it was another 'exaggeration' that the Religious Guild liked to spout to make Kryptonians feel special.

I'm not sure about the claims the Amazons have, though. Diana spoke in length last night about her experience with the Gods of Olympus. She spoke as if she had actually met them herself, so I'll withhold judgment until they finish the ritual. The contents of which are unknown to me. Diana was very secretive about the whole affair and refused to budge on the topic, but she seemed rather excited.

Knowing her, I bet it's just a fight or something. Sigh, I think that girl is a battle junkie. The queen must have it hard.

Upon reaching the temple, I can only marvel at its grand design. It's a lot more finely decorated than most Kryptonian architecture. Supported by massive stone pillars that allow for open-air into the chamber, the entire thing practically screams divine. I'm thoroughly impressed. I and my escort, whose name I learned was Pythia, enter the chamber and are greeted by a few more amazons.

I notice Diana is here, fidgeting a little with what I hope is anticipation. It would be rather embarrassing if she had to use the bathroom at a time like this.

In the center with her are four others. I've had little interaction with the inhabitance of the island over the last few weeks, but these few I knew of considering Diana sometimes like to complain about them when she's not bothering me.

The first I should acknowledge is Diana's mother, Queen Hippolyta. Queen Hippolyta is a strikingly beautiful Amazonian woman. Standing tall at 6'0 feet with tan skin, blue-green eyes, naturally long flowing blonde hair, and an athletic physique. I am already aware of my interest in the fairer sex, but if I weren't before gazing upon the Queen, I certainly would be after.

Next is Chief Priestess Menalippe. Menalippe is a visually stunning woman as well, although less so than the Queen. Standing at 5'10 feet tall with an olive complexion, brown eyes, and long naturally flowing dark brown hair. Like all amazonian women, she too has an athletic body type. She is also Diana's aunt. She is apparently an oracle and messenger for the gods. Also likes to nag if I'm to believe the rumors.

Beside her is General Antiope, from the stories, one of the greatest warriors to have ever lived on the island. Standing at 5'11, with tan skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair that is pulled back into a ponytail. She is Diana's combat instructor and supposedly doesn't know the meaning of restraint. She is also one of Diana's aunts.

Last seems to be the other General of Amazon, Philippus, judging by her hairstyle. Standing at 6'1 feet tall with dark skin, black eyes, and hair in a line of braids she is the tallest one present and also the only one not related to one another excluding myself. She is also the right hand of the Queen and is almost always seen next to her.

There are a few others scattered about watching from the sidelines, but I pay them no mind as I do as I had been instructed and walk to the center before kneeling in front of the Queen. What follows is pretty boring, if I'm being honest. I kneel, the queen spouts off a bunch of friendly words welcoming me into the sisterhood, then she turns things to Menalippe who recites off a prayer before the entire formation glows.

I was pretty surprised by the whole spectacle as I could actually feel something that I couldn't quite describe invade my body. It felt warm. It reminded me a lot of the warmth of the sun's rays at noon when my strength is at its peak. I wouldn't notice until much later but the speed of my hair, that had already been progressively turning blonde over the last few days had visibly increased. Where's before it was only a few strands now almost half covered starting from the top and slowly working its way lower.

I didn't have time to focus on the feeling as the ritual still had one final part, it seems.

"Now, Princess Diana, chosen Guardian of Inspiration, step forward and complete the ritual." Menalippe went on while I was still trying to figure out this strange feeling. I had been wondering why Diana was present since she had said nothing until now. It seems I will have to ask her what this guardian deal is at a later time since now seems a little inappropriate.

She steps forward somehow, both with her usual confidence and a little nervousness. Why that is I'm not sure. Well, at least I wasn't sure, I kind of figured out why that might be as before I could react I felt her sweet lips pressed against mine. It was nothing but a peck, but it felt like it lasted an hour. It wasn't my first kiss; I had that stolen from me by Kara a few years ago since she wanted to practice or something. But this felt different and I don't really understand why.

She pulled away before I had the chance to understand these strange feelings, with a small blush on her face. I remember Kara looking similar all those years ago, so maybe it was her first? The thought brings back that strange feeling in full force and I would be a little worried if the glowing in the room didn't intensify before suddenly dimming, signaling what I hope to be the end of the ritual.

"Now the send forth is complete. Welcome to Themyscria, sister." Queen Hippolyta proclaims grandly with a smile on her face. The other amazons present usher a loud cheer that I'm sure can be heard across the island. It's honestly a little overwhelming, but I'm a little happy they seem glad to welcome me.

I wonder if I can stop kneeling now?

"Now! We feast!" The queen exclaims, and the cheering intensifies. It seems their vocal cords are also enhanced. Before I could make any more expert observations, Diana grabbed my hand, and she dragged me off to what I expected to be the banquet hall. I'll admit all the energy was getting to me a little. The grin plastered across Diana's face was not helping in the slightest. I couldn't help but crack a small smile. That is, until I noticed 'him' again from the corner of my eye. He's always there. Recently, I notice him watching during the day.

His presence serves as a reminder of what I am. I know it's my fault. I don't deserve this happiness. I need to get stronger. I can't be that weak ever again.

With a decisive glint in my eye, I let myself be dragged on by Diana to the banquet.

 

###

 

(POV Hippolyta)

I watched as my daughter dragged off our newest addition to the island along with the others with a small frown on my face.

"Are you sure this is wise, my queen? Choosing Diana as the girl's guardian may do more harm than good." My sister and general Antiope questioned.

I do not know if my decision this time was for the best or not. I had deliberated for many days on it and my time was cut short by the girl, Thara's unexpected acceptance before I could come to one I was sure I would not regret. That child is very troubled, and it will take a tremendous amount of effort before she is well again.

"Guardian of Inspiration" is an important role for newly inducted amazon here on the island. The guardian and their charge are to become sisters in all but blood. They eat together, train together, learn together, fight together. It is not something decided on lightly as it ties the two for life. There are even some that take it a step further and become lovers. The guardian almost completely shapes the inducted Amazonian's perceptions of both the island and the world itself. This is why I am unsure.

Diana is a rebel. She has a strong heart and great power, but that power comes with responsibilities. Responsibilities that she is currently not ready for. My reasoning for choosing her is twofold. What I hope is that being granted a taste of what it means to influence those around her with her words and actions, that she might quell her rebellious spirit and choose to be more responsible herself.

My other hope is that her free spirit and kind heart might drag Thara out of the darkness that plagues her. When she arrived I used the magic sphere in my throne room. The sphere allows me to look into the past, present, and probable futures. I looked into the future and I saw all of the things that girl could be capable of. The word amazing is truly not enough to describe the woman she is capable of growing into.

Destroying armies, saving lives, killing titans, battling gods, saving the entire planet in more than one. She has the potential to accomplish great things. But she equally has the potential to do much worse. Making deals with demons, sacrificing lives in the name of power, ruling the planet with an iron fist, painting it in her image. There were some very frightening things to be seen. I had considered killing her the second I had seen such uncertain futures. However, before I could even fully think of such things, the gods themselves spoke. The goddesses who had given birth to our race all but demanded she be inducted. For what reasons I am unaware, but I could tell that any other decision would not be received well.

Had she chosen to leave the island, I would have still conducted the ritual even if she had to be restrained before letting her go off again.

The send forth ritual itself is what was most important today. The ritual imparts the message, deep in one's subconscious, to spread peace and equality as their life's goal. In return, it grants them the blessing of the five goddesses that created our proud race and any other god or goddess interested, though there are very few who are. The wisdom and courage of Athena, the strength of Demeter, a hunter's heart and communion with animals from Artemis, beauty and a loving heart from Aphrodite, and sisterhood with fire from Hestia.

"Menalippe, which blessings did she receive?" Ignoring the question for now, I ask my other sister, the only person present who could identify the blessings.

"Her blessings were rather strange, my Queen. She was blessed by Athena, Aphrodite, and Hestia as normal. However, she had received none from Artemis or Demeter. Or rather Artemis tried to bless her but was overwritten by Apollo, who seemed to have a higher affinity with the girl. While Demeter had not tried at all, instead she was blessed by Hecate which is most unusual. She has not blessed once since Circe, which, as you know, is why we have no proper sorceress on the island any longer." She said with mild confusion and slight worry in her voice. I can't help but sigh tiredly at this revelation.

"I know not if my decision is wise. The only thing we can do is watch over her and hope for the best." I say with finality while moving towards the banquet hall with the others. Dark times are ahead of us all, and as Queen, it is my duty to protect my people. No matter where the threat originates from.

41