Battle On The Beach Pt. 2/2
1k 0 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(POV Hippolyta)

'This is a travesty' I thought as I watched another one of our sisters fall under their barrage of metal. I and a few others are currently pinned down behind our shields as a hail of bullets is rained down on us from their ships.

These savages only know how to bring death and destruction in their wake, I would have the head of the man responsible for this if I could get my hands on him. I can only hope Diana is safe in the carnage. As much as I wish she would have retreated further into the Island, I know for certain she will eventually find her way into the fold and cause mayhem.

I know it is time to stop treating her as a child, but I can not do that so easily. Diana has her own fate she must be ready for, and I want to be sure she is.

"Argh!" Another one of my people goes down. This time though she is protected by two others with their shields, as a third approaches and starts performing healing magic to tend to her wounds and hopefully spare her life. Another thing I feel conflicted about, which seems to be a trend recently.

Thara. I really do not know what to do with that girl. She is growing at an alarming rate and I am no longer certain I could deal with her should she go down the wrong path. It is not an exaggeration to say that she is already the hero of today. Both alerting us before they had a chance to surprise us and through teaching a few about her magic. She inadvertently saved a lot of lives today, but that does not mean she is still not a danger.

Should we survive this, it might be time to send her away. With the ritual complete, I have higher hope nothing bad will happen, but I can not handle the stress her presence brings me any longer. My opinion is only validated as I watch the shocking scene unfold before me.

A menacing red beam of pure power tears through the mounted weapons and the hulls of the various ships at bay, instantly causing an explosion to sound off behind the enemy, sending shards of metal flying impacting a few of the unlucky ones.

Next, I see the two, the man in blue and Thara, charge into their lines. I am surprised he can keep up with her, which is something I should keep in mind later.

I see the man slam his shield into one of the men stunned by the explosions sending him flying backward into a few of his other companions, before using a small object in his right hand to down a few others. That man has strength comparable to an amazon, although only one of the younger ones. Still, that alone is enough to warrant attention.

I see a few others try to take aim at him, but before they could he shocked me by throwing his shield their way. I thought him a fool to abandon his only defense. That is until the shield, defying any law of physics I was aware of, impacted one man after another before the blue one moved into position to retake his shield as it returned his way.

I was not allowed a moments' rest however as I noticed some still taking aim behind his back but before they could get any shots fired, an arrow tore through the air and impacted all three in at the same time, cutting off their lives.

Following the arrow's trajectory, I see my daughter Diana with a bow that likely wasn't originally hers, and a few arrows struck in the sand, head first, around her. She grabs a few more and fires them each in the span of a second, downing a couple of others that had their primary focus on the man in blue.

That wasn't nearly as surprising as Thara, who dashed forward with the speed she only used when fighting my daughter, and punched one of the invaders in the face. I heard a sickening crack as his neck twisted in the wrong direction. She paused for only a moment before continuing her rampage. Picking up men by their vests and throwing them at each other as if they weighed nothing at all to her.

Any that managed to get their shots off in their confusion, had their bullets swiftly deflected with minimum movements by her using her bracelets. The realization that she was holding back even now frightened me a bit.

She continued to punch and throw the various men with no signs of stopping. The ground practically shook when she punched one in the chest straight into the sand. Then she fired off her heat beams again, instantly penetrating a few of them aiming towards Diana, who had yet to let up with her bow.

I was so shocked by their actions that I had yet to fully realize we were no longer under fire by their boats, so the rest of us joined the fray a little late.

With the addition of the three, the fight quickly turned to our favor. Thara fired off the occasional heat beam. Diana's expert firing rate with her acquired bow was a tremendous help before she ran out of arrows and started fighting up close with a sword and shield she picked up from the ground. And even the man in blue helped by defending our sisters with his logic-defying shield as if it were nothing, not even being pushed back by the force of the metal. His punches and kicks send the invaders flying. Had he been a woman, I would not have hesitated to offer him an honorary position amongst our sisters.

Even for our warrior race, they were truly the outliers. We finally managed to put them on their last leg and only a few remained for clean up. Some of them threw down their weapons as a sign of surrender, others fought until their last breath.

It was our victory, but it came at a steep price. I was about to call for a casualty report before out of the corner of my eye I saw one of the downed men who had an arrow through his arm aiming his weapon at Diana. Perhaps he was one she had shot herself and held a grudge. Before I could yell for her to take cover he already fired his weapon.

I could only look on in horror as the bullet approached my only daughter, who's back was still turned. She herself was too late to notice and I could only watch time slow as she turned to see her death approaching her. That is until in a burst of speed like she had never displayed before I saw Thara now standing in front of her having taken the bullet in her stead.

"Thara!" I heard Diana yell almost immediately in worry.

For the next few seconds I felt horrible, for one part of me was relieved it was her instead of my daughter to be killed and that I would no longer have to worry about her falling to darkness. Another part of me felt disgusted at the first reaction to my daughter's savior, the island's benefactor, and my fellow sister. I knew how much those two cared for each other, that I would even humor the feeling of relief sicked me.

But it seems my worries were unnecessary, as moments later I could make out the slightly bent piece of metal falling in front of her after having impacted her skin. It seems I had forgotten that girl could only be injured by our highest quality weapons forged by Hephaestus himself. I am relieved she is uninjured, but I will never forgive myself for my first reaction. She helped quite a lot during this battle. I should find a way to reward her as thanks.

I thought about such things as I watched her fire off another heat beam into the offender's chest before slumping down into the sand.

 

###

 

(POV Thara)

"Thara! Are you alright? You're not hurt, are you? Why would you do something like that!" Diana was fretting over me while I honestly didn't have the energy to give her much attention right now. Physically I feel fine, but I'm mentally drained right now.

'THAT WAS SO SCARY!' I couldn't help but panic a bit in my mind as I slumped down into the sand. Diana was so close to dying, and I heard the gun and I just had to move. It all happened so fast that I didn't even consider using my bracelets to deflect the pellet. With my heart beating a mile a minute, I started self-reflecting a bit.

I had killed people today. The first one I hit, his neck went almost an entire 180 degrees before he fell over. I can still vividly remember the sickening crunch that accompanied.

They were far more fragile than I expected. I guess I shouldn't use the Amazon as a benchmark for the rest of their race. I had not wanted to kill any of them, hoping I could just knock them out and they'd be dealt with later, but I knew how naïve that was. Those men would have died either way, as there is no way the Queen is going to forgive them for this transgression.

That said, I am far less shaken up than I thought I would be. Maybe it's because of my weakness I could already be considered a killer, but I don't think that's it either.

I guess I can just understand that it was them or the people I care about. I never want to regret something again so It's a simple choice between them and the people I care for. Maybe if I had been strong enough that nothing they could possibly do would hurt me or mine, I might feel differently. But I know that if I were to spend unnecessary time trying so hard not to injure the people actively trying to kill my family, I'd only increase the chances of one more of them dying.

I had to end the fight as quickly as possible. In fact, I should already be going to assist with the injuries, but I really do need a second to calm down a bit and sort out my feelings.

"You both are really something, you know?" Steve Rogers approached us while frowning at our surroundings. I had noticed him saving quite a few of our sisters, so I am eternally grateful. He had saved far more of them than I had just punching willy nilly. I should try to take that as an example to follow in the future. If I'm too busy attacking to take notice of those around us, then there's hardly a point.

"You weren't so bad yourself," Diana says with a sort of shy smile that made something inside of me twitch in annoyance before she two started looking down as she took count of the bodies of our fellow sisters.

I wanted to say something to comfort her, but I noticed amongst the bodies Val-Li was standing there next to one in particular. It was then that I noticed I had not seen General Antiope for a while now.

'It seems I had failed yet again' I thought as a single tear left my eye.

40