The Queen’s Decision
2.5k 29 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(POV Thara)

This might be cause for a change of plans.

Originally I planned to accompany Steve off the island and then travel with Diana to see the rest of it, but if they're playing with something like the tesseract that plan will have to be put on hold.

This situation is far more severe than I thought this planet capable of. The Tesseract is an item that pops up in the magic archive now and then. There isn't that much information on the item itself, but it's said to hold an infinite amount of energy.

There are several mentions about it thrown about, usually labeled with a "do not tamper with" warning. One speculation even claimed it might hold an infinity gem, but seeing as there have been sightings of items similar to the tesseract, like the mother box or cosmic cube, I'm less inclined to believe that for now.

I couldn't even imagine something capable of harnessing the power from one of those stones, so it might be an object made through studying one at best.

Then again, there is much about the universe I am unaware of, so I shouldn't throw out the possibility just yet. Even more of a reason I should proceed with caution.

I am a little upset that Steve lied to me when I asked about energy weapon production specifically, but I certainly understand why he would have now. In the first place we haven't even known each other for an entire day, so it's understandable he would keep some secrets. Especially from people that immediately threw him in jail after he helped them.

Though it was a problem he brought along in the first place…

Well, I can only say it's my fault for getting tricked this time. I am more than capable of telling when someone is lying due to my abilities. However, because it's a sign of mistrust, I've been neglecting to do so while on the island. Steve has a certain charisma about him that makes one drop their guard, so I hadn't properly registered him as only a potential ally.

I must start exercising more caution once we leave, else I run the risk of being taken advantage of.

"This is troubling news" The queen mutters quietly while the others are still talking amongst themselves. I had almost forgotten she also took notice of the tesseract. The island doesn't have much in the way of a mystic department at the moment, but I had heard they had one in the past before the Amazonian witch Circe killed most of them. If it were a few days ago I might have asked her what she knew about it, but I feel she wouldn't answer, regardless. Maybe if Diana asked?

"My Queen, your orders?" General Philipus asked, though there was a clear unease in her voice that usually isn't present. She has always been a confident woman, so hearing her unease caused a few of the other women present to fully realize the severity of the situation.

With the tesseract not even this island would be safe for long, magic barriers or not. Some things are just too powerful to overcome.

The queen not answering steps forward to Steve and everyone quiets down waiting for her verdict, though I can hear Diana tighten her muscles, ready to step forward to defend him much like myself, should the verdict be less than desirable.

"What interest does your government have in our island?" The Queen questioned again after taking hold of the lasso of truth reactivating it, much to Steve's visible discomfort.

"As far as I know, my government is unaware of the existence of your island. Like I said ma'am, I'm only a soldier, I'm only told where the next fight is." Steve answered this time, not even trying to fight against the lasso, knowing it would do him no good.

"Do you have any intention of revealing the existence of the island should you be allowed to go free?" She pressed once more. Although I may be reading her wrong, it seems like she wants to let him go, but as queen, she can't ignore the potential security risk.

"Unless asked directly, I had no intention to reveal the specifics of the island or its inhabitants. The only one who might care either way would be agent Carter," Steve said with an almost resigned sigh. It seems he too understood her position and knew being unable to lie really hurt his chances here.

What was interesting though was a few of the women present perked up at the name?

"Carter? What is their full name" This time the Queen wasn't the one to ask him. It was Pythia, one of the younger Amazon on the island. Well, she's still a few hundred years old. I had a suspicion of why she might ask that, but surely it would be too much of a coincidence.

"Her full name is Margaret Carter, but she likes to go by Peggy for some reason" Steve answered with a hint of confusion. Growing even more so at the clearly excited response his answer brought to a few of those present.

"I see, so little Peggy is already out there fighting," Pythia said with a fond nostalgic smile on her face.

I had heard about 'little Peggy' before when I first arrived on the island. She was apparently one of the ones that had washed up on the shores a few years before me. She was very young at the time, perhaps not even 5. She apparently wasn't very good at saying her first name, but she could tell her last name just fine. Pythia became her guardian of inspiration and started calling her Peggy until it was time for her to be sent back home. She apparently had the potential to stay on the island, but Pythia chose to let her return home since the girl missed her parents.

I heard Athena blessed her before she left, so it would make sense if she ended up in some kind of military position.

Although the look on his face conveyed he had wanted to know how they knew her, Steve remained silent this time in favor of hoping things moved along faster.

The Queen stared down at Steve for a moment before removing the lasso that bound him in one swift motion.

"This man poses no threat to our island. Therefore, it is our duty to see him safely returned to the outside world. If this Hydra is tampering with the tesseract, then it is also our duty to stop them. There are some things in this world that humans weren't meant to possess," The Queen decreed much to the visible relief of Steve and I guess unsurprisingly Diana. I would be lying if I said I too didn't let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"I want to be the one to take him back, Mother," Diana voiced out her opinion on the matter. Although I know it has a lot to do with her dream of seeing the rest of the world, I'll admit I was a little jealous she was so keen on helping Steve. Of course, I know these thoughts are irrational, but they exist nonetheless.

"No. You do not have the experience necessary to lead such an expedition" The Queen said almost instantly and with finality. This much should have been expected. Although Diana could be considered an adult already, she was still very young and naïve regarding certain things.

"Then who will you choose for this mission? Should it not be the strongest amongst us?" Diana tried to press her inclusion, and it seemed to work as the Queen hesitated for a moment before steeling her eyes, having come to some sort of decision.

"Indeed, you are right, Daughter. That is why I choose Thara to accompany Captain Rogers on his journey to the outside world." the Queen announced much to the shock of everyone present, including me. Though I noticed Menalippe's slightly ashamed look, so I could guess this was a decision they might have decided on before this whole interrogation happened.

Steve looked relieved that someone strong he thought he could get along with would be coming to help. While Diana was in complete stunned silence. Likely realizing if this decision passed she would not only lose her chance at freedom, but she might never see me again.

Those who join the island through the send forth ritual are a bit special. Although they don't have to follow all the island's traditions to the letter they must abide by some special rules in return.

One such rule is that they are free to leave the island whenever they wish, which is why I had already told Steve I planned on accompanying him without first checking with anyone if I could. The downside, though, is that once they leave the island, they aren't allowed to return under normal circumstances.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this. Although this is certainly what I wanted and what I was going to do anyway, having it decided for me hurts a little bit. That said, although I still intend to accept, I can't exactly agree with her after her previous statement.

"Your Majesty, I would also say that I am far too inexperienced to accompany Steve alone. I've only been on this island since I arrived on this planet, so there is much about Earth that I am unaware of." I heard a slight groan from Steve in the background, but I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe he's worried I didn't want to go with him?

Diana perked up at my words, likely seeing them as a way to possibly press forward, but before she could get a word out the Queen beat her to it.

"Indeed, which is why you will not be going alone. My Daughter was right, this problem is far too dangerous to be handled by just anyone. Therefore, as in ancient times, we will hold a contest to determine our emissary to the outside world. Phillipus, make the arrangements," The Queen ordered before she walked away signaling the end of the interrogation.

As the others started to file out of the chamber I remained beside Steve who was still kneeling. I almost wanted to tell him he could probably get up now, but I figured he could stay there a bit longer.

I swear it had nothing to do with how funny his confused face looked at not knowing if he should stand or not.

I noticed Diana leaving the room at a quickened pace, likely trying to catch up with the Queen and couldn't help but to focus on their conversation. Although I want to respect their privacy, depending on their exchange a lot of things might change between me and Diana in the next few hours and it worried me.

If she couldn't convince the Queen to let her go, this very well might be the last time I can see her.

 

###

 

(POV Diana)

Leaving behind a slightly smirking Thara and the uncomfortable looking Steve, I went right for my Mother who had yet to make it very far. She was probably waiting for me, knowing I wouldn't let this go so easily. Thara often says I'm far too stubborn for a princess and I intend to do those accusations justice at this moment.

"This is not fair, Mother! I will always lack the necessary experience unless given the opportunity to learn!" I tried to say firmly to my Mother to convey my thoughts on the matter. I know I am young, but I will never grow unless given the chance.

"Diana you may resent my decisions but there are evil's in this world that as Queen and more importantly as a Mother, that I am compelled to protect you from." Mother responded calmly and gently like she always does when speaking with me. Like she's talking to some unruly child.

"I am a woman now, Mother. You can not protect me forever." I tried one last time to make my stance known, but before she could even think on my words, Aunt Menalippe interrupted us.

"If the Princess will not be taking part in the contest, perhaps she could join me on guard duty. More invaders could appear at any moment, and it would be best not to be caught off guard again." She said with a strange glint in her eyes. I had been taking lessons from Thara on how to read people a little better, so I noticed the subtle look she was casting my Mother.

"It appears you will be busy," Mother said after turning to me before walking away as a way of saying she was done with the conversation.

I turn to glare at my Aunt and she only shrugs and motions me to follow her. Resigned to my fate, I can only drop my head and follow behind her.

Although I truly wanted to help those innocent people being slaughtered unjustly. Although I really wanted to see the outside world with my own eyes and experience true freedom. Most importantly, I didn't want this to be the last time I could see my sister.

If they forced her to leave, she would not be allowed back and my heart aches at the thought that this could be the last time I see her.

What am I going to do now?

Announcement

[A/N:] OK so update. I finished moving, Yay! Got my notes and everything! Bad news is I broke my arm during the move, because apparently when you say "hold on, I don't got it!" when trying to carry something heavy up a flight of stairs, it means start lifting immediately.

Anyway, my arm is broken and unfortunately it's my right arm. I can still type with my left but the speed is rather slow now. I also don't think the pain killers are helping my creative process at the moment. It just kind of felt like I wasn't able to get any of the characters right in this chapter. let me know what you thought. in any case, chapters might be out a little later than I usually put them out for a while but I should still be able to get them out no problem. A broken arm isn't enough to keep me down!

In other news, since I had a lot of spare time waiting for my notes, I started writing two new stories. one is a world-hopping fanfic (current worlds I have planned are Fate, DxD, Danmachi, Shokugeki, Testament of a devil sister, and Index) where the Mc goes around training heroes. heroes aren't always going to be the mc of the original story though. I got the idea after seeing Prototype Merlin finally came out in fate/go. of course, it's yuri. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The other is completely original and is a much darker story than anything I'll probably ever write again. it's a sci-fi story about a girl trying to make it big in the entertainment industry. it's a really dark story that would have content/trigger warnings out the wazoo. drugs, abuse, r*pe, etc. luckily it's a pretty short story, well compared to the other two.

not sure when I'll get around to posting either but look out for them.

As Always Thanks For The Support!

42