23: A Moonlit Lake
183 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

23: A Moonlit Lake

David’s view

“So, what do you think?”

“Of the boss? Um… it’s a pair of women.”

“... oh. I guess I messed up. Maybe rule 63 was too much.”

“Rule 63?”

“From the rules of the internet. For every male character, there exists a female version, and for every female character, there exists a male version.”

“Why do you specify male and female like that? Wouldn’t it work to just say an opposite sex version exists?”

“Well, some characters aren’t male or female. I don’t actually know the rule for that.”

“Huh?”

“Like, golems for example.”

“Oh. I suppose that makes sense.”

“Or slimes.”

“Yes, I get it.”

“Most plants… snails…”

“You don’t need to try and list everything that isn’t simply male or female.”

“... I feel like I need a better memory. I should be able to think of more…”

“Hello? You were trying to explain the boss to me.”

“Oh, right, well, they are designed to mirror us. It’s a big part of why they aren’t attacking yet, since we aren’t attacking. I just thought it would be boring to just be a normal reflection.”

“So you switched sexes? How do you even make a spell for that?”

“Uh… I just kinda did?”

“So, how do we beat them if they mirror us?”

“That’s… a good question. I guess I need to test that out.”

… a few hours later…

“This is the first time I’ve ever actually needed to heal you in a fight.”

“Yeah, this is pretty tough. Hardest opponent I’ve ever fought. It’s copying me too well for me to win with brute force.”

“Any clever ideas, David?”

“Actually yeah. I need a way to attack myself that will harm them more than me. For instance, what if I try to dispel myself?”

My copy did as I did and vanished.

“Seriously? It’s that simple?”

“Seems like it.”

“You should’ve dispelled me first. What do we do about my mirror?”

“Oh that’s easy, without my copy blocking me, I can just kill it the normal way.”

“... I’d probably be more bothered by that if my copy looked more like me.”

“You really think it’d be better if I didn’t swap the sexes?”

“Yeah. Would work much better for this kind of boss. As is, it’s way too obvious that she’s not me.”

“Drat. Oh well.”

Jessica’s view

“I told you that was a dumb idea.”

“You don’t need to rub it in, Rev.”

“I thought it was fun.”

“Thanks, Sia. I thought it was a fun idea too. It just doesn’t seem to work right. Maybe I should make a trap later to change people with an illusion.”

“Not an actual transformation?”

“I don’t want to risk doing anything permanent… not without consent at least.”

***Author Note***

And there’s the silly boss idea. 

P.S. the title was originally intended to just be a reference to the image of a moon reflected on a lake as a metaphor for the mirror boss idea. Except when I think about it, that would be a pretty awesome boss room. So I’ve decided: That boss room is a shallow moonlit lake… like really shallow… like ankle deep water. Just enough depth for some video game characters to take no fall damage… because some physics engines are weird.

6