28: …
174 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

28: ...

David’s view

Waking up, I found myself a bit disappointed. I thought I’d get to revive a dragon. Instead I learn there’s no need to, and it was likely a waste of time. 

“What’s with the sad face?” Clearly, Edward noticed.

“Well, the good news is the dragon is alive. The bad news is I’ve basically wasted my time trying to revive them.”

… *sigh* Now what? I thought I was going to take charge and do something meaningful, but… nothing. I’ve not really accomplished anything. Plus, it’s not like I know what to do about the other thing...

“You’re still mulling over something. Out with it.”

“Humans are reborn demons, and demons are reborn humans.”

“What?”

Okay, that probably wasn’t the nicest way to break the news. I haven’t figured out how to do it right though! So, I’m just pushing on through.

Edward’s view

Well, that’s quite a big bit of information David just dropped on me. Demons and humans share the same souls? The first wars were about population? I want to report this to someone higher up in the church, but I feel like I’d just be dismissed as mad. They’d probably insist only evil people become demons or something.

Jessica isn’t evil though. She saved me when I was afraid. David IS Jessica. David’s a hero! The amount of good he’s done for the kingdom is far greater than he seems to realize. 

Do I just keep this information to myself? Maybe I should wait until I find someone I can trust with this information. It seems too important to never share, but too dangerous to share with just anyone.

Jessica’s view

I ended up staying to talk with the Dragon quite a bit longer than I’d expected. I didn’t manage to learn their name though. When I asked what to call them: 

“Dragon is good. So is ‘lord’ or ‘your majesty’ or maybe ‘Empress of Ruin’ even if I’m not female right now. I enjoyed the life I earned that title in.”

Instead, I listened to the Dragon tell me things like: “Have you decided which side you plan on winning the war for? As both hero and demon king, you could just pick a side you favor and kill the other. Maybe go on a nice rampage. I miss the days when I could do that; been a century or so since my last one.”

I have no interest in wiping out either side. Heck, I’m not even sure what the point would be. Unification? What for? I don’t have interest in ruling the world. Heck, I don’t have interest in even being the Demon King or Hero… actually, could I just bail on that?

Edward’s view

We’ve been staying a while on Red Dragon Mountain. I’m not really sure what David was thinking about, but I assume it’s related to what he’d told me. I wasn’t really sure what to think myself. Eventually though, the quiet was interrupted:

“Alright, let’s go to the tower.”

“I thought you were going to skip it, David.”

“I was, but I have a new idea, and I think the tower is the perfect place for it.”

***Author Note***

I couldn’t think of a title for this. It’s really just a collection of scene fragments, because it’s so much easier to write fragments than full scenes, especially when I don’t know what I’m doing.

5