Chapter 67 – Surreal Vision
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Staring at the monument, Intor could see countless memories playing inside his head, reminding him of his happiness, his naive, as well as his grief. They blended in together to form his current self, who was trying his best to mend his mistakes.

"Just a little more, big brother. I will be taking back your daughter now, and I won't let anyone harm her." Although Intor knew that Forus' soul did not linger here, he still made a witnessless testimony in front of this grave.

As a Grand Elder of his organization, Intor commanded respect and wide range of influence. However, he was not the absolute leader and could not control the organization by himself. He could only do so when there was enough benefit.

That was why Intor and his sect did not declare war with the Flying Green Garden yet. Although they wanted to be the sole overlord of this region, their strength and the Garden's were equal. The result would be tragic for both, and the upper-echelons did not like that.

Despite the seemingly hopeless scenario, Intor chose to persist and wait. He continued to contribute to the upper-echelon to build his credits. In the end, in his generation, he was the only one who could breakthrough into the second-ranked sorcerer and earned his status as a Grand Elder.

After decades of waiting and watching, a ripple of fate had intertwined, causing every piece to fall into their place. His chance to fulfil his promise was here. With the reason of ambushing the Flying Green Garden, Intor finally convinced the organization to mobilize their army, thanks to his past contribution and credits.

On his way to the Mountain Union, fate also lent him another hand. The opening of the Fleeting Emotions Ruin and the emergence of a great treasure or a terrible being were another incredible justification for attacking the Flying Green Garden.

Placing a white ring in front of the monument, Intor sat and prayed. He showed no sign of arrogance of the sorcerers or the confidence of the Grand Elder, for he was only a little brother before Forus.

Although the ring was only an ordinary accessory, its value was not the material, but the sentiment it carried. This pale, reflective ring was the first and only ring Forus had gifted to Meria, as a marriage present.

"I come here to return your ring and finish my promise. After this, as long as Matia lived, I'll guide her in the path of sorcery and waited for her to be strong enough. Only until then, would you be able to see your daughter again." Although his eyes were full of emotions and remembrance, Intor did not shed a single tear throughout his mumbling.

He had already promised Meria to never mourn for their fate and never to blame himself. She was the one who chose to live as a mortal, like how her husband spent his life. To weep was to blame himself, and Intor would never break his promise, not again.

"Farewell, brother, sister-in-law. I hope you live a good life." Intor walked away from the monument, casting one last glance at it before disappearing into the horizon.

Accompanied by his departure was the liveliness of the wildlife. Before long, the wildness would soon consume this place, and without anyone to protect and maintain it, the inside would get damaged and tainted.

Although it was tragic, it was also a type of release.

...

"Dear, here's your tea." Although her voice was lively, she struggled to hide her worry and grief as she held her tea set for her husband.

"You don't have to try it anymore, and don't be sad. Being a mortal isn't a curse, and being a sorcerer isn't a blessing either. For us to meet and intertwined, this is a real blessing." Although Forus could see and hear, he could not control the body and could only watch as his foreign body spoke to the maiden he did not know.

"When we first met, you told me that you wished to be a sorcerer." The maiden muttered, turning redder and redder as her eyes became moist.

"Becoming a sorcerer was once my goal. However, after meeting you, that goal had already faded away. Now, I could only think about you, which is not a bad thing." The man smiled as he caressed his lover's face, wiping away her tears as she sobbed into his chest.

Although his lover had the appearance of a mature, charming maiden, he, as a mortal, could not live long as her. As his lifespan was running out, his body began to deteriorate. It could not retain his youthful vigour anymore.

"Meeting me is also a curse. If not, you might be able to become a sorcerer. I have forced you to stay with me." Her head leaned onto his chest, sobbing while speaking her thoughts. Although she knew that the man would never blame her, she could not get rid of her anxious.

"It isn't a curse. Even if I could become a sorcerer, I wouldn't be this happy. My chase for power and immortality are, in the end, born from my lack of purpose." The man did not blame her for his demise. In every choice he made, he had always thought it through, and he would never regret any of his decision.

"Think about it. If you could become a sorcerer, you'll have the lifespan of at least three hundred years. Maybe, you might be able to find a way to visit another Region." The maiden did not give up and try to persuade him again. Although she could give him a part of her lifespan, the man did not want to hurt her.

"You silly girl, there is no need to fool me. Even someone like your Elders could not break the Regional Barrier, let alone me, a mortal." The man coughed as he tried to tease her, falling back onto his bed as he struggled to breathe. The worried maiden then spent her time tending his pain. Although she had done it many times, she would feel sad every time she watched her lover suffered.

...

Forus regained his consciousness as he attempted to recollect himself. The first thing he noticed was a warmth that came from a hand that touched his face, stroking it while a pair of blue-red eyes watched him dreamed.

In a moment of silence, the two did not speak, but they allowed each other to stay in their position, feeling the warmth and affection that they had for the other. While Forus enjoyed Ocelia's lap, Ocelia also enjoyed his smile.

"I had a dream. It was very surreal." Forus spoke about his experience, telling Ocelia about everything that had happened. Although he could not remember the appearance of that woman, Forus was able to recall most of the event taking place.

"It sounds tragic, as well as beautiful. Forus, will you ever leave me like that?" Ocelia felt that this story resonated with her, and she suddenly asked him a question without any thoughts.

"I can't guarantee anything. However, if I had to choose, I would rather have you with me." Without any trace of embarrassment, Forus' empty eye sockets stared at Ocelia and uttered such words. Although he did not do anything else, Ocelia felt as if Forus had grabbed her heart with his hand and gently rubbed it, caressing her inner thoughts and soul.

There was no need for embarrassment, as everything he said was correct. However, even if Forus did not feel anything, Ocelia had already turned red with her trembling body. She felt relief as well as excited for his immediate response.

"Let us go then. Time waited for no one." Forus attempted to get up, but Ocelia did not want him to do so. She forced him down again and kissed him on his cheek before letting him go.

"You're quite naughty this time." The confused Forus teased Ocelia before getting up and help her got up. He did not know that his straightforward feeling had stabbed right into Ocelia's heart.

The two did not linger and continued their walk. After getting past the mysterious figure, there were no more statues of legendary figures or mist. Instead, the hallway became tranquil and quiet, lighting up brightly while soft music played in the background.

Before long, the couple reached the end of the chamber, standing in front of a giant altar. In front of it, a floating tome stationed on a platform. Many symbols on the pages flew out and danced above the book. They assembled and disassembled into various shapes, glowing in different colours and shades.

"Welcome, Chosen Ones." As the emotionless voice echoed the chamber, the music stopped playing as the bright lanterns extinguished into darkness.

"You, who possessed one of the requirement to receive our legacy, had passed through all our tests without fail." Two standing torches on the side of the altar lit up, enhancing its detail and forcing the couple to focus their attention onto it.

"The Chosen Ones whose lives connected each other with the Thread of Love, we presented to you, the Evanescent Record." Many sparkles manifested around the altar as they glowed in multi-coloured light, forming different shapes. The floating tome trembled as it invited the two to hold onto it.

Ocelia looked at Forus for confirmation. As she saw his stationary body, she smiled and released their holding hand before walking closer towards the platform, extending her hand outwards to gasp at the book.

Although Ocelia had already gained much and wished to give this to Forus, he expressed his rejection by not doing anything. He speculated that even if he got to fuse with the Record, his unpredictable grey soul and its tendrils might eat it like how they did with the Life Aura.

As it was the legacy from the Fleeting Emotions Ruin, Forus and Ocelia did not want to risk it. In the end, giving this to Ocelia was a better and more efficient choice.

Like how the scene with the Mask of Sun and Moon unfolded, the Record slowly dissolved and fused with Ocelia's soul, merging into one with both her mind and the Mask. However, after it became one with Ocelia, she did not experience any growth in power or mastery.

As a legacy of the Fleeting Emotions Ruin, the couple never doubted its power and ability. Treasures weren't always about offensive capability or defensive techniques. They came in many different forms and various usages. After all, sorcerers created them to aid themselves in their quest of pursuing the truth of the Sorcerer World.

The Evanescent Record was no exception. Although it did not give Ocelia a boost in her sorcery mastery, it would have other abilities that she had not yet discovered, and for her to tap into the true potential of the Record, she would need time to experiment with it.

The time that the couple might or might not have.

On top of the altar, a preserved corpse of an ancient beast laid quietly, sleeping in an endless slumber. Its body emitted a faint fragrance that could overwhelm the couple if they got any closer. Judging from its size and its position within the chamber, it must be one of the mythical creatures with matchless strength.

Although Ocelia only looked at it with disinterest, Forus' heart jumped up as he noticed a thin layer of black, rotten scent oozing out from it. The smell had stirred his realm of consciousness, making his greyish soul fell into a frenzy as it vomited out dark tendrils all over the place.

The tendrils quickly penetrated out from the realm of consciousness before rushing forwards to the altar, devouring the high-quality Death Aura that the rotten corpse had accumulated throughout the year.

Ocelia was stunned by the scene and took a step back in surprise. She saw the same tentacles rushing out of Forus. However, this time, they had extended outwards way beyond what it had always been. They resembled a dark, twisting ocean of waves that devoured everything that stood in their way.

Although she was surprised for a moment, Ocelia quickly regained her awareness before looking at Forus curiously, feeling interested in his secret. Even if he had an evil monster inside his mind, Ocelia would never abandon him, like how he never deserted her.

1