Chapter 80 – Benefits and Desires
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In front of the Mountain Envoy and Levota's speech, Corulem did not flint and remained silent, allowing time to crawl by as everyone waited for his response.

With the excuse of power-abusing, Levota managed to sway some of the weaker members of the meeting to his side. For them, if they acted with him, they would be setting an example to discourage status-abusing of the strong sorcerers.

"Even if you dismissed my successor's death, what about how Falsus murdered my fifth son?" As he spoke, he exerted himself to produce more pressuring aura, pushing Forus to make him confessed faster. If he admitted his wrongdoing himself, things would become easy for him.

"How would we truly know that you didn't fabricate the evidence in an attempt to tarnish Coruscare Family?" The Mountain Envoy frowned as he spoke, causing noises to emerge from the crowd. To everyone, he was openly declaring his siding with Coruscare Family.

"Lord Envoy, are you saying that Ninguis Family isn't trustworthy?" Although he was alone on his side, Corulem did not panic and hardened his voice, exercising his sorcery to show his willingness to protect the dignity of his family.

"Pardon my interruption, Lord Envoy, but there's no need to doubt Master Corulem. We, the Steel Cauldron, placed our trust in the members of the Mountain Union." As the situation was getting serious, a figure spoke his speech as he held an emblem with the symbol of the Steel Cauldron on it.

With his words, he gave way out for the Mountain Envoy while easing the atmosphere, letting Corulem preserved the honour of Ninguis Family while not tarnishing the reputation of the Mountain Emperor.

"My apology, Corulem. It was I who overreacted and overstepped my boundary." Knowing that he let his mouth slip, the Mountain Envoy saved himself by retracting his words. Although his status was higher than Corulem, it was unwise to openly declare his bias and target another member of the Mountain Union.

"Regarding Falsus' misgiving, we're willing to compensate for your loss with our material. Please show us some mercy." As the representative of Steel Cauldron said his statement, Corulem frowned as he failed to account the second identity of Forus.

The timeframe between Glacies' demise and the meeting was too short, urging Corulem to make a rush for his plan. Although he tried his best to consider everything, he was not a perfect being, and let one minor detail slipped by.

As his attention was on the relationship between Coruscare Family and the Mountain Envoy, he neglected the connection that Forus had with Steel Cauldron. As one of their talented seeds got threatened with the death penalty, they would never let go of such a rare genius, even more so when they considered his strange relationship with the successor of Coruscare Family.

"As a sorcerer, you should know that life is priceless. No matter how much good you give me, they can never bring my son back." Using the foundation as a father who had lost his son, Corulem began to lead the witnesses to his side.

Many of the sorcerers presented were old, and most of them had become the backbone of their family. Along with Corulem, they began to visualize the pain and grief they had to go through if something similar happened to their descendants.

"We know, Master Corulem, that we cannot exchange the death and the living. However, there's no need to snip another life due to your anger.meaninglessly. Instead, we're willing to compromise and give out a treasure that would benefit your sorcery. Please do consider our suggestion." Placing the emblem of Steel Cauldron on his clothing, the representative made it clear that he was following the intention of the upper-echelons of Steel Cauldron.

As he knew that he could not put the issue anymore, Corulem turned silent as he let his thoughts ran. Although he had gotten an excellent gain from a puny dead of his unknown untalented fifth son, he had not completed his original objective yet.

At this moment, Corulem did not pressure Forus anymore. After the speech about abusing power, if he continued to threaten Forus, then the mass would turn against him without any doubt.

"In courtesy of Steel Cauldron, I won't be insisting on taking Falsus' life anymore. However, I wish for him to be staying with me for one day. Please rest assured that he would be completely safe." Knowing that he would not be able to kill Forus, Corulem finally compromised and asked to keep Forus for a day.

Although his promise seemed genuine, no one would be able to know how many techniques and treasures Ninguis Family had in their disposal. It would not be surprising if they had something in store for Forus.

"As long as Master Corulem kept his words." The representative of Steel Cauldron smiled as he sat down, showing satisfaction that Ninguis Family held him in high regard.

Although Forus was a promising seed, he was not enough for them to fall out with Ninguis Family. Even if he had a connection with Coruscare Family, they were the same in their ranking and could not suppress the other.

No matter how much Corulem tortured Forus, he would never break his promise to keep him safe and sound. With the Mountain Envoy and members of the meeting as the witnesses, the reputation of Ninguis Family would fall from their grace the moment he could not keep his words.

"Corulem, what gives you the authority to demand the presence of Falsus?" Although Steel Cauldron did not wish to clash with Ninguis Family any further, Levota did not care and interrupted Corulem's faint smile.

As she wiped the blood from her mouth, Ocelia thanked Abicel before gazing towards her father, feeling grateful yet conflicted at the same time.

Although she wished to believe that her father had chosen to clash with Corulem because he had accepted Forus, her other half assumed that he desired the secret he held from the Fleeting Emotions Ruin. Although saving face of his successor was one of the reason, it was not enough for him to act.

"Since when did you start to care about such a measly character?" As if mocking him, Corulem asked without any restraint. Although their power was comparable, he would not sit still and swallow everything Levota spewed out.

The chatter from the crowds began to surface once again, overflowing with speculation and discussion. In their eyes, there was not much worth to keep arguing with Corulem. Instead of flaming the fire even more, why not let one insignificant servant go?

Light flashed across Ocelia's eyes as she stared deeply into her father's pupils before turning her attention at the ever so charming man in the centre of the meeting chamber. If not for her binding status and the restraining hands of Abicel, she would have already rushed to be with Forus.

"Everyone, although I wish to announce this news when we are ready, the circumstance had forced us." Levota smiled as he took a step forward. His silhouette flickered as it melted into a flash of light, disappearing from his original location.

In front of Corulem, a spark gleamed and expanded, enlarging and forming a humanoid outline. As the light faded, Levota had already reappeared before Corulem, standing face to face with Forus in the middle of their confrontation.

"The man before me, Forus Ander, was the rumoured beloved of my eldest daughter." With a flick of his hand, he gently grabbed Ocelia and pulled her towards him, letting she come to her lover's side and held him in her arm.

As she noticed the subtle change, Abicel let go of Ocelia and smiled for her, feeling joyous and playful as she enjoyed the public proposal. Ocelia, knowing her father's intention, did not resist and quickly rushed to Forus.

After hearing the unexpected announcement, only the Mountain Envoy remained calm and collected, as he had already figured it out when he met with the trio. However, despite his towering presence, the meeting chamber exploded with uproar and chaos.

Although there was a change to his name, nobody placed any attention to it. Everyone knew that, for a vagabond, using fake identity was a very common practice. After all, they had no way of knowing when would they get in trouble. Using a modified appearance and generic name was a very sensible choice.

However, the fact that he became entangled with the successor of Coruscare Family had sent a huge wave forth. With the public display of affection, Ocelia had indirectly confirmed the matter, as Coruscare Family had no reason to lie to save one insignificant servant.

The old monsters of the meeting looked at Corulem, waiting for his response. After declaring the hidden status of Forus, Coruscare Family made it very clear about their bottom line. If Corulem did not wish to compromise, the two forces would undoubtedly clash.

"Levota, don't you think it's inappropriate to decide on your daughter's affair so suddenly?" As his smile quickly disappeared, Corulem frowned before looking at Ocelia, trying to figure out some emotions from her face.

Seeing that unwavering pair of eyes, Corulem knew that he could not change the mind of Ocelia. The burning desire he sensed inside the young maiden was familiar to him, reminding him of his ambition in his youth.

"Congratulations to your daughter, Levota. With him by her side, I can already foresee the rise of Coruscare Family." The Mountain Envoy interjected with his praise, forcefully curbing the chattering noise of the others.

"Very well, Levota." Knowing that he could not get Forus to come with him, Corulem chuckled as he exclaimed, ridding himself of all pretence he had shown earlier.

As Forus noticed the abnormal behaviour of the Family Head of Ninguis Family, he stood up and led Ocelia to Levota, moving towards where they once seated. As he passed by Levota, he felt an overwhelming pressure descended onto him, threatening to crush his body into piles of fleshes.

In that instant, Forus' mind jumped. As everything seemed to slow down for him, a familiar sensation triggered a part of his memory, reminding him of the vivid yet clouded scenery of a collapsed building and a collapsed figure far away from him.

Immediately after that, Forus snapped back and calmly withstood the pressure, showing no reaction whatsoever. His mind hardened as he felt a creeping feeling of humiliation crawling under his skin, reminding him of how useless he was.

With his arm wrapped around Ocelia's waist, he steadied himself and held her close to his chest, letting their body touch and stay connected. Forus made sure that, this time, he would not let go of her.

Listening to the fading footsteps of the couple, Levota slightly smiled. By not flinching in his presence, Forus had demonstrated his monstrous endurance and earned his approval.

"Lord Envoy, please issue the final verdict." After a long period of silence, Levota was getting tired of the waiting game and spoke up, reminding everyone that the drama was coming to an end.

Although they enjoyed the clash between two big shots, the upcoming discussion about the Fleeting Emotions Ruin was still more significant. As it affected everyone within the meeting chamber, no one would be willing to delay it any further.

"Corulem Ninguis, we, the Mountain Union, we're sorry for your loss. However, you have to know that risks come with rewards. As for your compensation, we trust that Steel Cauldron won't disappoint you." The Mountain Envoy issued his statement, indicating the end of the judgement.

Just as Corulem was about to bring something out and say something, a faint crackling noise echoed the meeting chamber. Followed after the noise, the ground shook as a piercing sound resonated throughout the outpost.

The restrictive barrier around the Fleeting Emotions Ruin broke into countless fragments and fell from the sky, dissipating into dust and fog of Elements.

As the alarming noise spread panic and generated chaos onto the surrounding sorcerers and mortals, the sky slowly darkened, turning from the midday into the gloomy dark dusk.

On the sky, a large, floating landscape suspended mid-air, hovering above the Fleeting Emotions Ruin. The dark shadow it cast fell onto the world, covering the surrounding with a foreboding sense of calamity.

1