Chapter IV: Arrival
173 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several thoughts were running through Savo’s mind, each more complex than the last. He could not explain the landscape around him, yet that didn’t stop him from being mystified from it to no end. Peering around, the ephemeral beasts that had once roamed the beautiful scenery disappeared as if they were never there in the first place, leaving him only left with a barren grassland and his own intricate thoughts. Pacing around, he was trying to discover where he might’ve landed. A moment of panic surged through him, but it was quickly replaced with the sound of fast breathing and the closure of his eyesight.

Where was he? Savo thought as he wandered around, causing him to walk over an unknown object. The unexpected force caused him to tumble and fall in agony. As he realized what he had fallen upon, however, it gave him a slight sense of relief. It was a handy item in his laboratory he was always fond of; the familiarity of the object within this unknown world caused him to return to the analytical mind that he was always renowned for.

The item that he had fallen over was quite large, standing at four feet long and two feet wide. It was his toolbox, rectangular in shape and containing various sets of many mechanical contraptions, tools, and weapons. From large adapters to small transistors to lithium diodes, the toolbox contained mostly all that he would need to build whatever he desired. There were two things that came directly to his mind at that moment. How much can I salvage from the toolbox, and where had my other items disappear to?

The first question was quite simple to answer. Lifting his large toolbox from the resting position that it was founded upon, he opened the bottom-most compartment. There laid a large knapsack, neatly compressed for him to remove. Going through the rest of the compartments, Savo had filled up the important contents contained in his toolbox directly within in his knapsack. Some of the essential items were obviously his tinkering kit, solar cells for power, light sources such as flashlights, a high-quality industry-grade laptop, and a top of the line military-grade hand pistol that he may or may not have obtained illegally. The only thing that he did not account for was a set of rations, but how could he give the circumstances?

The second question upon his mind was tougher to answer. After packing his knapsack filled to the brim of all the items he could ever need, Savo explored the surrounding area for the rest of his contraptions. If his toolbox had gone to this mysterious world along with him, then surely his matter reactor should have as well.

Retrieval of his matter reactor would solve his many problems, as it could produce a mass amount of constant energy, enough to power the rest of his future endeavors. Before he could figure out his next move, a chilling shockwave pervaded at the back of his neck. He yelped in surprise, extending a hand towards his nape. His fingertips smoothed across what seemed to be a small protruding ridge. It was his Neural Link Chip!

The Neural Link Chip connected his mind onto the comprehension of machines, complete with the entire knowledge of the twenty-second century. This allowed him to perform large-scale equations, theoretical experimentation and assisted him in logging new foreign objects and creatures. Tapping the object repeatedly, it seemed like the chip was non-functional, as he could not peer into the mind of the machine. This was unfortunate, as he had lost the most valuable item in his possession with no means of repairing the chip in his current state. Savo could only give a small sigh of disappointment.

After spreading across the environment, he could not find any of his other contraptions in sight, and that gave him even more disappointment that he could not have anticipated. The only thing left for him to do was admire the tranquil beauty of the land and plot his next course of action. Savo had originally not thought of that far into the equation yet, but he also did not mind enjoying the view a little longer. It was a stark difference from the hustling cities he was always surrounded by.

Laying upon the grassland, he started collecting his thoughts. He was in another world, that much he could figure out. Savo’s mind raced with ways he could possibly get back to his own reality. The crystal must have been the catalyst for the chain of events that had unfolded around him. He couldn't afford to stay in this strange land for an extended period of time, however.

He was the CEO of one of the most prominent corporations within the country. If he had gone missing, the company’s stocks would plummet by double-digit points, and the loss of a chairman would cause the press to go mayhem. Just the thought of such events gave Savo shivers down to his spine. He had to find a way to return, yet he did not know the course of actions he would take to get back.

Suddenly, someone, or rather, something called to him directly from his mind. He could feel a tug, an inexplicable feeling that had washed over him, causing him to shake his head in confusion. At first, he presumed it was the Neural chip implanted within his skull had rebooted, but that couldn’t be. This sensation was different from the one he usually knew, almost as if it was pointing him towards a direction, guiding him to an unknown territory. He could not rationally justify his motives, but his instincts told him to venture westward.

Clearing his head, he uttered a small whisper under his breath; something only he could hear.

“I guess that’s where I’m heading, then.”

 

6