Chapter VI: Settlement
179 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Savo jolted wide awake, his body hitting the hard floor. His body remained restless, but the ringing pain and the urge to venture westward had subsided considerably within his mind. He did not know if that was a good or bad thing, as he could only take a gander at his next direction. Peering around, he realized he had fallen from the hammock once again, unintentionally this time around.

The creatures were nowhere to be seen, and his surroundings were obscure. He could perceive only a glint of moonlight that pervaded through the tiny windows inside the home. This minute light source illuminated a dim outline of objects, just sufficient enough for him to navigate through. His perceptions started adjusting towards the darkness and while quickly maneuvering around the dwelling, he found the gecko’s retiring place.

Shunup was the creature’s name, I believe. Savo desired to give great gratitude for the creature which had essentially saved his life, but he did not want to stir everyone up in the process, so he decided to wait for due time. Quickly proceeding outside the home, Savo wanted to explore the settlement. Walking through the divided streets and uneven pavings, a soft blue glow of luminescence saturated the walls and canopies of several cottages.

Walking to the outskirts of the town, several creatures of the village were collecting the usual grains from the paddies, their webbed feet making a trickling sound on the thin water. Savo had presumed that everyone must’ve gone dormant, however, it appeared that it was not the case. Stepping closer, it seemed like Savo caught the attention of one of the creatures because their large round pupils switched towards his direction.

“You’re that human, aren't you?” The creature said, “How are you enjoying our shettlement?” He was carrying a small wooden bucket, filled close to the brim with wheat grains. Putting it down, it made a nice plopping sound as he extends a greeting towards Savo.

Savo was reluctant to shake the slimy hands of the gecko, but he didn’t want to seem rude. “Yes, thank you for letting me stay in your settlement,” Savo replied, delivering to the gecko a firm, but a slippery handshake.

“No problem, itsh the leasht we could do.”

“May I ask what you are up to?” Savo asked, tilting his head slightly.

“We are farmersh!” The gecko said triumphantly, “We usually shleep in the daytime, but in the nighttime; that ish when we are mosht active.”

“Oh, I see.” Savo nodded, “What do you farm?”

“Well, moshtly cropsh for food.” The gecko responded, “But shometimesh, on a whole moon like today, the mana blosshoms fully bloom.”

“Mana blossoms?” Savo frowned, “What are those?”


“You don’t know what mana blosshoms are?” The gecko laughed wholeheartedly, “You are a shtrange human! Mana blosshoms are plantsh that contain mana cryshtalsh.”

The creature rummages inside its wooden basket, pulling out a small crystalline object. It was square bipyramidal in shape and contained a glint of dark azure blue. Handing it towards Savo, he readily grasps the object in his fist.

“What does it do?” Savo asked.

“It letsh you channel the mana inside the crystal sho you can perform magic!”

“Magic?” Savo scoffed, peering at the gem on his hand.

“Itsh true!” The lizard exclaimed, “You musht be well vershed in the Magush artsh, however.”

Savo raised an eyebrow, “...and where can I find these Magus arts?”

“Well, you have to head to the capital!”

“Where is the capital, then?”

“Itsh weshtward, but it will take you a few weeksh to get there.”

“I see…” Savo said, examining the crystal. He raised his hands up to the moon’s glow and gazed through the glass-like structure. After looking at it for a few moments, he tosses the object back at the gecko. He tries to catch it with his hands however had a difficult time doing so.

“I didn’t get your name,” Savo stated.

“Ah, yesh!” The gecko stood upright, “It ish Shindo, you would be well to remember it!”

“Introduce me to your buddies.” Savo chuckled. Standing behind Shindo, there were several other geckos that were collecting crops and grains. Some, however, were fastened with iron protectors, grasping spears and swords. It looked like they were on patrol, maybe scouts or guards that were protecting the settlement.

“Oh, thoshe are the shcoutsh.” Shindo answered. “They keep the mountain wildabeashtsh from attacking our cropsh.”

“Do the beasts attack often then?” Savo suggested. The lizard defenders seemed to be over-geared to be challenging only mountain beasts. There were also excessively many, Savo didn’t think that they needed a vast amount of guards for such a manageable job.

“It ushed to be not often,” Shindo pointed out, “They have been coming more and more frequently theshe nightsh, sho we can’t be too lazy. They alsho shmell the mana blosshoms, sho they like to attack in the nighttime.”

“I get it. Is there any way for me to help you people? I must return the favor.”

“Oh, we couldn’t!” Shindo exclaimed.

“I insist.” Savo pressed, he couldn’t afford to owe anyone any favors.

“Well, our sholdiersh are planning a raid on the mountains in a few daysh. I don’t know how much you will be able to help, but you can ashk them for the detailsh.”

“Very well then.”

Savo gave a quick bow and returned to the settlement. He had a clear goal in mind now, and it didn’t take long for Savo to accomplish his goals. He would assist the soldiers in their raid and would prepare to venture further westward.

Memorizing the layout of the village, he promptly returned to the house he previously sojourned in. The twilight was still calm, and the moon shone more brightly than usual. Wandering back to the hammock that he had unknowingly grown accustomed to, he ordered his eyes to rest, yearning for the next daylight.

 

6