Chapter XI: Before the Raid II
143 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Savo swung back and forth in his cozy hammock, his arms rested comfortably behind his back. ‘Maybe I really did get too accustomed to this world,’ Savo thought. The brilliant stars still hung over the night sky, but the settlement was more bustling than in the daytime. Although Savo insisted on helping on the repairs of the village, Kilik forced Savo to take it easy, declaring that he had given enough contribution towards the townspeople and needed a good night’s rest.

So there he was, unsure of how to spend his time. Savo was unable to go to sleep, no matter how much he tossed and turned in his hammock. Heaving a sigh, he promptly jumped up out of his swing. His knapsack was perched nicely at a nearby corner, so he eyed it briefly.

Heading over to pick it up, his arms were aching from the short training he had done prior. Savo didn’t realize it, but the knapsack seemed to weigh more heavily in his arms. He was a fairly built person, but he only opted working out his muscles a few days a week, and couldn’t maintain the schedule very well.

This was due to the fact he had other obligations in his life, but a part of him does regret not toning his body into a finer condition. He couldn’t accomplish everything, so Savo tried to prioritize things that were important. Personal health was certainly not his first preference, however.

Opening his knapsack, he quickly retrieved his laptop and set it on a nearby table. The laptop was his own companies creation, and his personal laptop was a state-of-the-art piece of work. Turning the machine on, the laptop whirred quietly, creating a slight buzzing sound.

The room was showered in the dim flicker as the laptop sprung up, and the sound of the tactile mechanical keyboard was something that provided him great comfort. Since he was in another world, it was expected that his laptop would provide no internet, however, there were still many things he could accomplish without the use of such a thing.

The first thing that came to his mind was building an interactive map. Since he was in an unexplored world, his laptop was a prime way for him to collect information. He would collect profiles of the memorable people he met, and build the landscape of the world digitally.

He had all the tools needed. Kilik had given him a map of the surrounding area, so that gave him a good idea of the scale and scope of the village. All he had to do was replicate the map on his laptop.

Opening up several programs, he used his pre-made assets to form a rough design of a map and started working on building profiles on several characters. This map was going to help him drastically in preparation of the raid, and let him start creating his own personal world map. He didn’t take any photos of the world, but since he always had his smartphone on him, Savo just needs only remind himself the next time he discovered something of interest. Quickly engulfing himself in his work, the seconds turned into minutes, and the minutes turned in to hours.

Occasionally, burning torchlights could be seen illuminating past the shutters as the villagers shuffled around to sort out the adjustments of the village. Savo didn’t pay any mind to the cluttering sonance of gecko’s conversing, because once he was invested in something, he would employ multiple hours fully engaged in his work.

Just like that, several hours past within the blink of an eye and the sun rose in the distance steadily, an orange hue that encompassed the azure skies. Savo only realized how much time had passed when Kilik entered his living quarters and questioned about his activities.

“We are shtarting the raid in two hoursh.” Kilik said, “I jusht wanted to remind you.”

“Thanks for the heads up,” Savo replied, returning to his devices.

“What might you be doing?” Kilik questioned, taking a quick glance at the unknown objects that surrounded Savo.

“I’m making a map.”

“A map?” Kilik frowned, approaching closer to Savo. “Shurely not on that stone! There’s nothing to draw on!”

“It’s a special type of map.”

“A shpecial type of map?”

“It’s a three-dimensional map. I spent a few hours making it.”

Kilik peered at the translucent screen, his head tilting slightly. Kilik couldn’t imagine how Savo was going to make a map with something as bizarre as the object in front of him lay. He also did not know what a three-dimensional map is, so his interest was piqued even more than it already was.

“See, you can move the image around, and look at it through different angles,” Sao said, as he clutched his computer mouse.

“Sho you do know magic!” Kilik exclaimed as he saw the sight before his eyes. How could the images move in that way without the use of magic?

“Magic?” Savo gave a slight laugh, “This is technology! Anyone can do this, want to give it a try?”

“Me?” Kilik pointed at himself in surprise, “No, I mushn’t touch magic that I cannot control. It is very rishky.”

“Im telling you, it’s not magic!” Savo reassured, handing over the mouse to Kilik, “Here, just give it a try.”

Kilik was nervous at first, behaving like he was just given a very dangerous object. With a little more reassurance and further probing of the matter, it only took a matter of seconds before Kilik started fiddling with the object, directly affecting what was happening on the computer screen.

“I shee.” Kilik responded, “This is quite intereshting.”

The mouse was getting doused in a slimy with the continued touch of Kilik’s webbed hands. Savo was getting nervous that Kilik would make his computer mouse unusable, but he completely forgot about the stature of the person he was talking to, so it couldn’t be helped.

“Commander!” Someone yelled in the distance, his voice considerably louder than the rest of the gecko’s.

“I guessh thatsh my calling,” Kilik responded, setting the mouse down. “I hope to shee you prepared for the raid.”

“Don’t worry, I will.” Savo approved, “Break a leg.”

“Break a leg?” Kilik frowned, “What doesh that mean?”

“Oh, it’s a saying from where I come from. It means good luck.”

“You humansh are weird.”

“Haha, I guess so,” Savo laughed, shrugging.

3