Chapter XIII: Raid
73 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Fuck me,” Savo swore as he put his hands on his knees, panting.

He peered around, unknowing of where his location was. All of the chaos of the encounter had separated the hunting party, and he was left on his own as he was the only one unable to climb up the vertical walls. Savo felt a bit disdained that the hunting party had suddenly left him, but there was nothing they could’ve done given the circumstances. How was I supposed to know that geckoes could outright climb vertical mountains?

Savo rested himself on a large nearby boulder, clutching his bow tightly. His pistol was still available at the side, but he hoped to utilize it only as a last resort. He had managed to narrowly escape the ferocious bear-like behemoth by weaving through the thicket of trees, finally discovering himself in a small forest clearing.

Taking a moment to catch his breath, Savo had only hoped that the scent of fresh blood and mangled flesh of the hunted corpses would give him enough time to prepare himself for a counter-attack, but his options were slim. Several gashes and small scratches were scattered around his whole body: fresh blood trickling across his skin. It was only a matter of time before the bear could sniff him out.

Savo took several deep breaths, surveying the area around him. His breathing rhythm had become disjointed, but the pounding footsteps in the distance, growing closer, jumped his thoughts into overdrive.

Couldn’t I just collapse a tree on him?

Savo scanned the area, looking for any means available to damage the beast. There laid several small wooden sticks coupled with rotten logs and small boulders, but nothing significant enough to halt the progress of such a monster.

Why hadn’t I brought a sword with me!? The sudden realization came to Savo at the worst moment. Savo had contemplated that bringing a sword would be unnecessary for the raid because he would be in a party of his own, but he had truly not accounted for this unfortunate situation. Savo could only curse at himself quietly.

Hearing the footsteps become more powerful, he unholstered his hand pistol from his waist, abandoning the bow and instead grasping the gun tightly.

“Looks like I really have to use my last resort,” Savo muttered to himself, irritated. He had thought of what Kilik had said to him in the last moments they were together. ‘Find a way to get up the mountain, we’ll mount a defense close to the top.’

Fortunately for him, the small forest clearing had led to a winding dirt road. Others had walked up these steps multiple times, and Savo didn’t intend to give himself up to be a meal quite so easily.

Hastily getting up from the ground, he was bolstered with energy. In a burst of speed, Savo quickly dashed up the winding road, hoping it would lead him to the top of the mountain.  His legs were crippled with a searing sensation, but he ignored his instincts telling him to halt and trekked onwards. It was either this or death, and Savo didn’t hesitate to choose the former option.

Treading up the mountain at a steady pace, something caught Savo’s attention at the corner of his eye. There was an object in the dirt, glowing a tinge of blue as the small rays of sunlight reflected off its delicate surface. Savo squinted his eyes, wondering what the object might be. Savo hesitated to pick up the item at first, fearing that he might've not had enough time, but he quickly grabbed it regardless and continued forward. Maybe it was something that the geckos had dropped while heading up the mountain. Perhaps it was a magical item they had lost.

Upon closer inspection, it appeared to be a necklace of some sorts. It had three glass vials in the shape of fangs, but only one of them contained a bright azure liquid inside. The other two glass vials were empty and shattered. Savo had no notion of what the purpose of the liquid was, but he presumed that the geckoes may have used it to strengthen the growth of their crops. It could also be a separate matter entirely, but since he had it with him already, there was no point to discard the object now.

Several patches of rugged terrain had faltered Savo’s steps, but that wasn’t enough to suspend him completely. A distant roar could be heard within the forest, along with a great snap which joined with a low-pitched, resounding thump. This caused Savo to hasten his steps, taking less time in-between breaks to catch his breath. The bear must’ve grown impatient.
If he wasn’t being chased by a colossal figure, Savo would’ve most definitely enjoyed the scenery around him. Lush verdure grew among the rocks, and the aged trees brought a pulpy rich smell. Several nuts, mushrooms, and other various plants could be seen growing under the combs of feathery moss.  

The umber-brown forest had brought many small forest critters together, and the shady glades would send occasionally give a cool breeze to ease the tension of Savo. Briars, brambles, and berry trees flanked the trail. The fruits of the forest coupled with the simpering wind that carried a fragrance to it caused Savo’s hunger and tiredness to well up inside him.

Maybe I really should've gotten more sleep before the raid. Savo thought. Vowing never to be unprepared in these types of situations again, Savo was able to find another clearing upon the mountain, this one much larger this time. The Clearing had a small body of spring water, which Savo was able to douse his face on. There was time, he had believed, but echoes of the beast had managed to pierce the veil of forestry.

Despite this, Savo felt a bit more refreshed. In that sudden moment, he heard a sound in the nearby distance. At first, Savo’s worst visions got the better of him, but he quickly gave a sigh of relief upon seeing the source.

“We found him!” A gecko scout clad in leather armor exclaimed. Savo would’ve never imagined a slimy gecko creature would give him this much joy in his life.

0