B3 — 68. Revelation
1.2k 8 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Note:  I apologize for the late chapter; I had some pressing family concerns that caused this week's chapter to be delayed a day, which will also affect Pokesync tomorrow, meaning it should come out during the night instead of the normal 1 P.M. MST schedule.  If you want to get updates of such nature to know what is happening, then please join the discord.  There is a link in the end-notes.

Thank you for your patience.


POV:

1: Rachel Park (our Lunar Hare!)

Recap: Rachel played her part and learned some valuable things about this labyrinth and how it functions.  She managed to do everything she hoped ... Until her mind was illuminated by the fact she was an imposter herself the entire time.

How will our 'imposters' game come to a close?  Let's find out!

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

Etly Lindman, Cedric Isaac, Frozen In Time, DustHurricane, RottenTangerine, and my other Patrons!


Rachel’s mind turned cold upon the discovery; her goal was clear, stop anyone from freeing the prisoner, but she’d already set things up for them to make it to the endgame.

Her wide field of vision and sharp hearing tracked every movement surrounding her; they would reach the control room if nothing was done, but her hyperactive mind was caught on a few glaring details.

She kept on the route while thoughts flashed across her brain; only the Selvarias and Scarlets spoke, discussing random things that weren’t immediately important.  Her biggest obstacle had been herself, in the end, yet more than a few mysteries troubled her.

Why did the labyrinth wait this long to activate me?  Was Cahira first … I don’t know.  How many others are waiting for the right opportunity?  A hostile Scarlet would be … actually reasonably devious.  If a switch was flipped in her mind, she would likely use everything within her power to kill us.

Ohan appears to be more straight-laced; he’d attack given a proper opportunity, which he’s had.  Cahira made her play without alerting me in the slightest.  No … it makes no sense.  There would have been ample ability to slaughter everyone before this point.

It doesn’t change our personality … just shifts our priorities.  If that’s the case, then could it be a curse itself?  If so, then it’s only a matter of time, but that would imply my resistances are the second-lowest in the labyrinth, and why would making … unless us doubles aren’t perfect copies.

Can I expect help?  If any of the others make a move, I could kill my counterpart when they act to intercept.  Cahira ahead of me … no, I’m paying very close attention to her, which means she’s doing the same for me.

Scarlet and I are the biggest threats to deal with, but I can’t handle everyone at once.  Is there a way I can trigger a trap?  No … not while walking in a straight line.  It was smart to put shade on anyone who moves out of formation, and I’d instantly suspect myself if I did anything out of order.

She refrained a smile.

I’ve really outplayed myself.

The original was ahead of her, ears standing straight; she was ready to dart in any direction to react to anything out of the ordinary.

Two Scarlets and myself … it’s impossible.  I have to wait for something unexpected to happen, but what will happen if we reach the observation room?

A spur dug into her chest.

We pass right through the cell room … how could I have been so close without even realizing it?  If Ohan can sense it, then I’m out of luck.

Her mind flew through possibilities, but everything ended in the same result, failure.  Her heart began to throb with the emotion, and she activated Emotional Detachment.  The feeling faded in seconds; however, an odd desire was building up within her breast that alarmed her.  She wanted to tell her team the truth.

Damn you, Lunar Pride!

Body-double Rachel’s insides squirmed at the building tension, and they continued through the labyrinth at a rapid pace; the original was moving at a brisk pace as if anticipating something was off, or it could have been to make it as far as possible before the traitor revealed themselves, but it should have been impossible for her to be a suspect based on action alone.  Nothing had been given away.

The hallways with their multitude of activatable symbols passed by, with Rachel scanning for anything that might help her accomplish her goal, but it was either too complicated or would take too long to execute to be effective.

How do I still consider it a betrayal when I’m not even the real Rachel?  I know I’m not the real Rachel.

Both the Scarlets and Selvarias were beginning to get into a mind-numbing discussion about some short-form anime series called Sirotan that had her blocking out the noise.  Her emotional box was swiftly filling with a myriad of conflicting emotions, bouncing off one another to multiply into a colossal monster of a wave that threatened her goals.

She couldn’t break now.  Her gaze shifted to the humming occultic waypoint that could transport you to various locations within the maze.  It might be the last hope she had at completing her mission.

“Hold-up,” she mumbled, slowing to a stop to glare at the burning flames and black wooden effigy with symbols shown across it.  “I’ve seen something similar to this in the room.”

The original’s emotionless eyes narrowed while studying her, keeping her limbs and posture in peak condition to take action.  “Is that right; why would this be important enough to make you stop us from reaching the control room?”

Fake Cahira hummed with a small grin, rubbing her neck a little while glancing between them.  “Oh … mi skin be feelin’ some tension between ya lasses?”  She snickered.  “Aye, what do ya say we find ah good room for ya ta work out the knots?  I know of a good spot!”

“Aye,” the original barked from the rear, “ye bloody fecker be thinkin’ we be real eejits, have ya?  The head on this one; don’t be thinkin’ ‘cause ye be a cute hoor we be listen’ to ya!”

“Ye think ya be a real amadán, eh, don’t ya?  Ya bloody scut!”

“No more!”  Both Scarlet cried, glaring at both of them, and the Selvarias nodded in response.

“Mhm, stop yelling…”

“Eh…”  The original Cahira growled, scratching the side of her head with the leer the fake gave her.  “We can’t be trustin’ a word outta the lass; she’d go ‘way owra dah with us.”

[Irish saying - she’d mislead us]

The fake huffed, flipping her off with a wide grin.  “Póg mo thóin.”

“Say that in mi face!”  Cahira barked, but the two Scarlets blocked her path.

Rachel and her original all but ignored the encounter, keeping their attention centered on each other, and the Ohans seemed more attentive to them, as well.

“Well?”  The original asked.  “What’s the purpose behind stopping here?”

She turned to gesture at the two Samurai as the two redheads barked outlandish insults at one another, and the four remaining girls tried to calm them down without much success; at least they were staying in the same positions to not draw any hostile action from anyone.

“I believe I told you about Ohan’s sensing ability … had you forgotten?”

Her original’s lips fell a little at the jab.  “I haven’t.  Are you saying they should analyze it; for what purpose?”

The Ohan without a shirt, which one of the Scarlets now wore, spoke up first; he gave both Rachels a suspicious stare but directed his inquiry to his double.  “You can sense the flow of Primal Energy within the labyrinth, correct?”

“Yes, I was using it to follow the strongest threads toward the center … before the shadows teleported me away, interrupting my progress.  I find that awfully convenient when I was growing closer to the source.”

“You can feel it, though?”  He questioned, motioning to the effigy and down the hall they were on.  “We’re on the right path, but there are multiple paths we can take to reach it.”

Rachel hummed, turning back to her original.  “We could be going into a trap; Cahira might have set one up.”

“Maybe,” Cahira grinned, now infuriating her double by ignoring her.  “I am prone to that sort of thing.  These hallways are full of surprises!”

An internal smile brightened Rachel’s mood; it was a vague reply, but there wasn’t a hint of deception inside it.

“Hmm…”  Her double’s long ears shifted left and right, possibly scanning for anything minute within the atmosphere she might have missed.  “I don’t like it.  Are you saying this could be a shortcut, Ohan?”

Both shook their heads, but the one with a shirt answered.

“I can’t be for sure, but I’d only test it out if I had to.”

“Cautious boys, huh?”  Cahira mused.  “Where’s your sense of adventure?  I’ll show you something interesting!”

She took one step forward, and Rachel held up her hand to block her path before the original could take action.  “I don’t think so.  Why don’t the two of us go together?”  She asked, shooting a challenging glare in her double’s direction.

A laugh rolled through Rachel’s mind as her original’s jaw locked; there was no way she wouldn’t rise to the challenge.  It was checkmate and subtle enough where she’d have a very difficult time convincing anyone else she was an imposter.

“... Together then.”

Rachel nodded, keeping her gaze fixated on herself.  It certainly was a strange feeling, listening to the tightening of her own body; she had to assume the person she was copied from had the same sensation.  “Ohan, which part do we need to press?”

This is it.  I can activate the proper traps if I get back and just need to keep myself at bay.

The emotions telling her to be honest with her friends was dangerously close to breaking, making her tightening muscles real; it was coming down to the wire.

They both took a step forward, broad fields of vision keeping each other and the burning structure in view.

The Ohans’ lips tightened, distrustful eyes on them.  “Perhaps we shouldn’t,” the one with a shirt muttered as the shirtless said, “slide your finger down the chest.”

Rachel was close enough; her original would no doubt try to stop her … or so she’d thought, but her double darted forward to perform the same action as her.  They both failed to halt the other, right hand completing the process while their right and opposing legs rose to counter their attacks.

They blinked, eyes swimming with confusion as they both entered the expanding green flames that shot out from the device.  Within a second, they were standing beside one of the strange artifacts within the ritualistic control room.

Left arms tensing against one another, they both tried to throw the other back; she thought her original had fallen below 100%, but that didn’t seem to be the case.  A nearly equal force propelled them both back; Rachel was stronger than her original, but only by a fraction, yet that made all the difference, and now all she had to do was throw all of the Skill Points she’d gained from the Nightmare incident into her speed and power.  It was over.

Arching her back to flip to the ceiling, Rachel felt gravity shift when she touched the wall, and Emotional Detachment broke.  A wicked smile lit her cheeks.

“I’m your double; it’s only fair you….”

“I’m your double; it’s only fair you…”

Rachel’s body locked up, watching the mirrored reaction.

The smile fell on their reflected lips; if there was anything she could have said to disorient herself, it would be this, yet the confession didn’t make any sense.  Instead of jumping into combat, both fakes fell silent.

Straightening while looking up at each other, standing on opposite walls, they contemplated the turn of events, activating Rapid Mental Acceleration to be the first to find a solution to move forward.

Impossible … sure, she could have guessed I might say it, but … no, not quick enough if she weren’t experiencing Lunar Pride.  She shouldn’t have even had the proper information to plan around my action, so how did she develop such a confusing counter-strategy?  A stupid strategy, really, yet … it worked; I’m hesitating.

If we both are imposters, then everyone else could be, and they just haven’t been triggered yet, and if that’s the case … where is my real self?

Their eyes widened, both fakes’ vision moving to the center crystal container; the glowing brown, red, and yellow-hued liquid swirled around each other with the blue flames beneath it.

… We’ve been played for fools.

The heat in Rachel’s throat and chest erupted as Lunar Pride burned a hole in her breast, incinerating the implanted desires within it.  The embarrassment, rage, and dishonor rolled through her frame, compelling her to do one thing.

Without words, both Rachels walked to the oddly designed crystal object and picked it up by either side of its handles before throwing it with all their strength at the floor in a violent rage; it shattered on impact.

The liquid erupted into a fountain of rainbow-colored flames as the blue mass ate away at the substance, and both Rachels were eradicated.

 

* * *

 

Rachel’s eyes snapped open, ears and tail twitching with agitation as everything both of her copies did burst into memory, and she breathed a low growl, fingers trembling while pressing against the black wooden plates she laid against.

“I’m … such a fool…”  Lunar Pride hit its cap Proficiency level as the process tore through her mind and heart.  “Damn you, Twilight … you were probably laughing at me.”

She could see Scarlet’s smug face that was utterly unlike the girl she’d become so close to; her actions started the next trail, but she’d refrained from giving her the answers she sought.

It’s punishment … she was reprimanding us like children … a never-ending cycle of killing each other until our bodies died.  She knew Lunar Pride would eventually force me to recognize it and reject the process of being an endless puppet!  Dammit…

Her fist slammed against the black wood plate below her, but no damage was done to the floor.  Out of the corner of her vision, she saw Scarlet, Cahira, Selvaria, and Ohan beside her, unmoving.

Her teeth ground together as she got up, spotting the same oddly designed crystal container several feet in front of her.  She was in a decent-sized occultist room not unlike the others she’d traversed in the magical labyrinth.

Their spirits had actually been split in two, which was how their spiritual seed had still functioned between them, and it would use their spirits in an endless cycle of mind games and suicide that would eventually make them no different than the Nightmares with the very slow and insidious curse that filled the place.

Dozens of remains from various creatures were lying around the space; one of them looked unsurprisingly like the Nightmare she’d fought and the beast she couldn’t hope to defeat, dead for ages against the left corner of the area.

Jaw working around, Rachel pushed herself up to move to the ritualistic object of her focus.  Picking it up, she went to the hole several meters up the large ramp they were on.  Tightening her grip, she listened, and upon finding no living creature within the range of the cave, threw it up.

It landed on the site where Twilight had conquered the previous trial for them and lit the forest ablaze with the unquenchable flames that would burn the island jungle to the ground; the enchantment was lifted.

There was only one way to escape the labyrinth, destroy the connecting vessel, but that only worked for those within the space.  The one flaw in the design, or perhaps it was intentional, was it told her how to end it.  Although, without Lunar Pride, she wouldn’t have had the internal strength or rage to utterly reject the urgent goal it had implanted inside her.  Twilight was laughing at her for being so easily manipulated.

Her motley crew slowly started to stir as the container shattered, vision opening wide.

A lump of blood dropped down Scarlet’s throat before she took her first reflexive breath in a while.  “W-What … wait … what just happened?”

Rachel took a deep breath, trying her best to calm her raging emotions, but she just now discovered that Emotional Detachment had a day cooldown if the box was broken instead of released.

A low rumble shook her throat.  “I’ll explain … we were all in a trap … this place is full of them, but I destroyed the main trigger that activates them all.”

Everyone settled down after gaining their bearings, and Rachel laid out the spiritual prison they’d experienced.  She didn’t know how long they’d been under, but judging by the rising sun she could see and the lack of anyone from the ship, they’d only been under for at most a day or two.

Once finishing the tale, Rachel pointed at a wall with the same symbols she learned would open a door in the maze.  “I’m guessing the escort is behind that wall.”

Ohan’s grip tightened on the hilt of his unsheathed blade, nose creasing with disdain.  “So … is there an orchestrator behind this … I felt the energy flowing from a source.”

Rachel shook her head, arms folded underneath her chest to keep them from quivering.  “As far as I’m aware … no, it’s all self-operating, and this is only a copy of another real location in another world.”

“How do you know that?”  He asked, glaring at her.

“I told you,” Rachel lied, not willing to go into detail about the crystals or Twilight.  “If you want to kill the escort, then I don’t see that being much of an issue.  Right, Cahira?”

Cahira groaned, scratching the back of her head while glaring at the metallic frame of a dead spider-like creature.  “I suppose not … my performance was a tad lackluster, eh?  Got mi agitated.  Oh, but, uh … I guess the reward might be better if we keep ‘im alive.  I’m not bothered either way by it, though.”

Selvaria raised her hand, her body slightly less curved after being dry for a day or two; if it had been a week, she’d be dead.  “I want to save him; escort missions can be fun.”

Scarlet appeared happy her shirt was back on, even if still showing their signs of battle.  “Yeah; I mean, we won, though, guys!  That’s good!  Uh, we only have one last trial, right?  Is it the escort?”

Rachel nodded.  “That’s what it’s supposed to be…”

Ohan’s closed fist slammed against the floor, making Scarlet and Selvaria jump, but after a long, calming sigh, he smiled.  “... Alright … I know I’ve been … a bit off, but the mind games of the first one really got to me.  I’ll chill out.”

“Aye,” Cahira gave him a toothy grin.  “I’m yer lass if ya ever need a shoulder ta cry on; I be a good listener to hear yer woes, and mi lips be sealed!”

Ohan chuckled, getting up while taking another calming puff of air.  “Thanks, Cahira, but … I think I’ll be fine.”

She popped her tongue with disappointment.  “Aww, bein’ the stoic type has its charms, though,” she snapped her fingers, getting up to dust off her butt and thighs after noticing the stuff on her tight leather pants.  “Welp … let’s get this trail over with!  An escort means danger, am I right; we thinkin’ some beasties?”

Rachel wasn’t fond of the woman’s mirrored word that connected her thoughts to an insanely powerful monster she’d literally felt the fear of death from but tempered her racing heart by reflecting Ohan’s long breaths.  “I’m pretty sure I learned everything we need to get there.”

Selvaria smiled down at her dress.  “At least it’s not ruined … that’s a silver lining.”

Scarlet and the scaly Leviathan girl got into a small conversation about their clothes as they followed Rachel further into the dungeon.  It wasn’t challenging to discover the humming sound that indicated a teleport effigy, and they made it back to the control room.  They all noticed the ghostly orange glow that the lingering flames left against the dark wood, potentially ruining parts of the maze’s functions.

Cahira couldn’t leave without her gems from the Nightmare; since the labyrinth had crafted artificial bodies for their spirits to inhabit to rob them of all suspicion, they were still at the place the doubles had died after Rachel smashed the vase, releasing them.  Scarlet ran back with her, mentioning they’d had to knock both Pirate Queens out again after both revealed themselves as clones.  The incident had caused an edge of panic in the group at the same time it was happening to Rachel.

The combination to open the secret room that the metallic monster tiger was guarding took the entire time Scarlet and Cahira were gone.  Rachel was a little embarrassed she’d gotten two symbols mixed up, but with Ohan’s help by reading the energy, they made it to a dark underground cave.

They all dropped in, Scarlet teleporting Selvaria down since she literally weighed tons and might actually hurt herself from the half-mile fall.

“Huh … interesting place,” Scarlet mumbled, the first to reach ground level.  “I can’t see through any of it … well, the darkness … how big is it?”

Rachel turned around with the others, taking in the vast underground area they’d entered.  It was over seven miles long and five wide, curving around the edges.  She pawed the rough stone ground they stood on, noticing fissures running in a patterned way across the black area.  Above them was the maze, stretching out across the entire ceiling; the light blue glow they gave off didn’t reach the depth they’d gone.

Selvaria’s mouth dropped open as she pointed to everyone’s left, near the edge of the smooth dome that rose up to the labyrinth plates.  Everyone followed her finger, causing their eyebrows to lift in bewilderment, but Cahira let out a squeal of joy.

“No way!  No way!”

The Pirate Queen’s hair blew behind her as she sprinted toward a 40-meter long black and white Brig with red sails, designed out of a living sea turtle’s back.  The massive creature meandered about, hovering a few feet above the ground.  Six cannons appeared to be able to be extended, maneuvered and fired from the sides.

Scarlet gasped.  “Did … did you just get a battle turtle airship?  Is that your reward for this challenge?”

Rachel’s attention was on a barely noticeable glow in the distance where a terrifying horror was bound.  It looked like it had gone through a terrible battle in the past before being sealed at the bottom of this abyssal labyrinth.

One of its arms appeared cut-off, but the lump of wood, flesh, and bone was so disfigured and hideous that Rachel didn’t know what to make of it, but she was not against slaughtering the thing.

… Is that seriously what we have to escort out of this place?  Why do I think the final trial will be the hardest?

Leaving the group to fawn over Cahira’s new ride, Rachel made her way over to the creature to get a closer look, Ohan following behind.  It took over thirty minutes to reach it, and Scarlet soon joined her after helping the Pirate Queen to her new vessel.

“Oh … now that’s terrifying,” Scarlet mumbled, walking a bit closer to Rachel.  “Uh … you think we need to escort that thing?”

Rachel shook her head.  “I couldn’t tell you, but it’s the only other thing here besides the boat.  What’s up with that, by the way?”  She asked, glancing over at the ship, far in the distance.

“Umm … Cahira’s gotta tame it or something; Selvaria’s cheering her on and hugging its fin, hehe.  I think it likes her jewels?  It was eyeing them, eh … like it wanted to eat them,” she chuckled.

Her tone trailed off as Rachel suddenly stopped, tail standing on end; the horror started to move, rattling the wooden shackles that locked it to the floor.

“Hmm?”  Scarlet glanced between her and the monster.  “What’s up?  Oh, no … is it moving?”

“Seems that way,” Ohan mumbled, grip tightening on his blade.  “Correct me if I’m wrong, but … I think fighting is out of the question.”

Rachel nodded, fingers tightening into a fist.  The horror’s bones popped, flesh ripped, and limbs twitched as they neared, causing a shiver to run down Rachel’s spine.  In terms of strength, this thing far surpassed them; just being near the 5-stories tall terror made her skin crawl.

Scarlet scooted closer as they stopped at a reasonable distance, whispering, “W-What are we supposed to do with it?”

“How should I know?”  Rachel mumbled in return.  “Cahira said we needed to escort or kill the thing at the end … I don’t think we can hurt it at all … even if it’s chained down.”

All of their hair stood on end as a low rumble rolled through the cave, vibrating the air, and the horror’s voice alternated pitches until a deep, gravely male voice echoed in their ears.  “Vvvvvvisssitors?  How long … has it been?  Torrrmentors … no … how peculiar…”

It trailed off, causing more pops and cracks as its bark-like skin snapped before repairing; its deformed, bone-like skull of a head tilted, mouth opening further than any creature Rachel had seen.  “Ha … hahaha,” it roared, causing a wave of dread and putrid wind to whip their hair back.  “To see such weak lumps of flesh … no…”

Its thick jaw popped the other way.  “No … something deep rests in one … dark … light … hmm.  Yes … yes, this will do … freedom … after so long … Maiden of the Harvest … mercy … free this wretched existence.”

Rachel and Ohan turned to Scarlet with tight jaws.  The Vespertine Reaper shrank back, squeaking, “M-Me?  N-no, no, no, no … I can’t … not at … there’s just no way!”

The horror released an agonizing groan.  “Even the Maiden of the Harvest denies me … no … you sleep, Maiden … hmm.”

It grew silent for a time, and Rachel wondered if she should unstick her tongue from the roof of her mouth to ask Scarlet if Twilight was mumbling in her sleep again when it spoke.

“I am bound … in a manner you cannot help, yet … a piece of me … take but a small piece, and I may regrow … bloom … be free.  I shall take you to a land rich with treasure … that is what you seek, yes?”

Rachel didn’t know what else they could do; killing it was out of the question to fulfill that quest condition; this seemed like the only solution.

Steeling her nerves, she said, “Tell me what I have to do.”


SME's Request:

I hope you've been enjoying the free entertainment!  The internet is divided into different echo-chambers; you have a specific group that only hovers around specific sites/content.  So, by recommending my serials to others, you give it more exposure to different echo-chambers and help it grow.  Ratings are excellent, Trending is terrific, but it only will appeal to a specific echo-chamber.  If you like my content, then please share it in your own unique way.

Thank you!  ^_^7

Normal Plugs:

Discord Link - Growing Community =D

Vote on Top Web Fictions

View and help contribute to the Wiki

Support me with Merch or on Patreon for up to:

5 Chapters ahead in A Tail's Misfortune.

11 Chapters in The Oscillation.

10 Chapters in Undying Empire.

10 Chapters in the Pokemon Fanfic

All pictures are up for free download on Patreon with the artist I commissioned listed.

62