Chapter 1
545 16 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello there, readers! I'm new here to the site, but I'm so excited to start posting here! I have other stories that I plan on uploading chapter by chapter as well!

You can also find my stories on Fictionpress.com and SoFurry! I go by the names Elite Shade and Shadow Lion on those sites, respectively. (And of course, you can find my cute fanfictions on SoFurry too! As well as on FP's sister site, FanFiction.net, also under the name Elite Shade!) Sorry for the long explanation. Please enjoy chapter one of my newest story! Also, please consider leaving a review as they can really be a pick-me-up to authors! OH! One more thing! There will be TG/TF elements in the next chapter. Just a friendly heads up!

 

Culture Shock (Chapter 1)

 

by

 

Elite Shade

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We are approaching our destination. Current time in Kyosho, Japan, is 9:13 am." The captain's voice on the speaker makes me jump. I yawn and look out the window. I see the sparkling Pacific Ocean below, and smile a little as I can see my new temporary home fast approaching. Ever since I was little, I've always wanted to go to Japan. And now, thanks to my school's study abroad program, I'll get to go for two whole semesters!

My name is Ambrose Miller. I'm fifteen, and this is the farthest from home I've ever been, and honestly, I couldn't be happier. My family are not exactly easy to get along with. As I continue to stretch in my seat and look out the window, I pause. I can see us fast approaching the "Border."

It's a strange phenomena that's been studied and debated about plenty throughout history. For reasons that still have yet to be explained, the entirety of Japan is surrounded by some kind of dome that makes everything and everyone within it cartoon-like, and not just in appearance, but it also affects the laws of physics and nature. This phenomena is called... anime. I look around at the other passengers, many of whom are either Japanese themselves or of Japanese descent, and they do not look one bit like anime, as the effects seem to, mostly, be contained within the "Border". Excited, and yet a little nervous, I watch as the slightly hazy dome approaches, almost like a gigantic snowglobe.

It happens quickly, and aside from a slight tingle, I feel nothing. As the tip of the plane pierces the dome, it immediately becomes anime. Soon, so does the entire cockpit and the pilots within, not that I can see this happening, but it was covered in the pre-flight safety video. Then every part of the plane's body as it passes through the border, as well as everything and everyone on board, myself included! YAY! We're through! I look down at my hands, and gasp. They look just like anime characters from the TV shows and movies filmed right in Japan! I look out the window, the haze behind us, at the beautiful anime sea and land and sky before us.

I can't help myself, and look around. Those who make trips to Japan regularly are unfazed, and those new to this transition, like myself, are all looking around in wide-eyed wonder. I do notice one odd thing, however. Hair colors and styles seemed to have changed for quite a few people. Some, seemingly minimally, and others more drastically. I'm seeing blues and greens and pinks. There's even a guy around my age now obliviously sporting a similar wacky hairdo from that one TV show about those trading cards. It wasn't one of my favorites, so I'm having a hard time remembering it, but I remember the main character's hair. And that is a dead ringer. Panicking a little, I try to see my own reflection in my window, and from what I can tell, my hair is the same soft brown it was before, although now I seem to have some kind of stylish bedhead.

The flight attendants are making the announcements that we will be landing soon, and to strap in. I'll just have to comb it down when I can get into a bathroom at the airport. Soon enough, we make our descent, and are coming to a stop on the runway. The entire time, I'm watching outside with rapt attention, just amazed at how everything looks now. Of course, we taxi to the gate, and start to disembark, after gathering our overhead luggage. With my black roller suitcase trailing behind me and my forest green duffel strap over my shoulder, I head towards the gate.

I come out of the gate, hoping to find a nearby restroom to fix my hair and make myself look a bit more presentable to my host family that shall be picking me up soon... when I see a sign in English with my name on it. The sign is written on a white board, with some colorful flowers drawn around it, and is bobbing up and down. This is because the teen girl holding it above her head is excitedly hopping up and down. I blush a little, and hope that they don't judge me too much on my hair as I approach.

"Ambrose-kun! Over here!" the girl shouts in renewed effort once she spots me looking at her sign and approaching, in excellent English. Which is a surprise. I've been learning Japanese for years, and admittedly, I do still get hung up when trying to use kanji, but I'm working on it. I feel a little confused about the -kun being tagged on, but shrug it off as being misheard on my part. Soon I am standing before my host family, the Nakamuras. They match the photos I saw during the interview process.

"Hello," I greet them in Japanese, my stomach in knots from how nervous I am, but I smile anyways, "thank you for coming to get me. I am Ambrose." I think I didn't stutter or botch that too badly. Something slams into my side and I feel two arms grab and start crushing me. I realize that the girl holding the sign has just glomped onto me in a surprisingly bone-crushing hug.

"We're so excited to finally get to meet you, Ambrose-kun! I'm Aiko, your new big sister!" she says. This seems contradictory to what I learned of Japan in my studies. She then lets me go and steps back, looking at me with... did her eyes get wider? And they're so... sparkly... I thought that that was just special effects on the shows! I look at her, taking in her shoulder length sky blue hair, and her sparkling green eyes. She's wearing a peach blouse with a heart on the front, and a pair of jeans with some light pink sneakers.

To her left steps a smaller girl with the same hair color, but much longer, and with her brown eyes peering out from behind her glasses. She's wearing a purple shirt and jeans, with a pair of purple sneakers. She bows to me before smiling wide. "Nice to meet you! I'm Aimi! Please ignore my big sister. She's crazy," She said. Suddenly, one of those red anger-veins appeared on Aiko's head.

"Don't tell him I'm crazy, twerp!" Aiko said, her head suddenly much bigger than it was, angrily leering down at Aimi. But instead of shrinking away or even looking surprised, Aimi's own head suddenly became as large as Aiko's. "Who're you calling a twerp, you ditz!"

"Girls!" The mother's voice cut through any further retorts... and suddenly, their heads are normal-sized, but both puffing out their cheeks, in what I guess to be annoyance. "Please don't make a scene at the airport... again, especially in front of our houseguest." The mother turns to me, and I am struck by how beautiful she is. Long black hair that flowed down to her waist. Serious, yet not unkind, brown eyes looking me up and down. She is wearing a lavender blouse with a darker knee-length skirt and a pair of black heels. A navy blue purse is over her shoulder.

"Hello, Ambrose, I'm Ichika Nakamura," she said as she bows to me, "and welcome to our country. We all hope that you'll have a wonderful time staying with us. Also, your Japanese is excellent."

"Thank you," I say, feeling relieved. That is, until I notice that Mr. Nakamura has been staring at me this entire time, rubbing his chin. Well, I notice that, after my eyes are drawn to what is the most impressive moustache I have ever seen! It honestly looks like it should be on a paintbrush that's used for painting houses. He has short light blue hair like his daughters, which matches his eyes. He's wearing a green polo shirt, showing off a set of well-muscled arms, and some khaki shorts. He then nods and smiles as he steps forward to bow... before bursting into tears.

"You must feel so nervous and alone, a stranger in a new land!" he says in a very deep voice as water sprays from his eyes like hoses, and he pulls me into an even more bone-crushing hug than Aiko's had been. The three ladies all have a large drop of water appear on their heads that slides downward in embarrassment.

"Dad, please stop, you're making an even bigger scene and embarrassing us all!" Aiko says. Letting out a huge sniff, he nods, and let go, straightening up, the tears stopping. And people are staring... oh boy...

"Sorry about that, young man," he says, his voice without a trace of the sadness he displayed not five seconds ago. "I am Itsuki, and it is a pleasure to meet you."

"It's n-nice to meet you as well, uhm, sir," I say, thrown off by all this.

"I do have one question for you, though," he says, his eyes seeming to glow as his face appears to be shrouded in some kind of sinister shadow, "how do you feel about ninjas?"

Confused, I open my mouth to answer, only to see a hand chop him on the top of his head. Said hand belonging to Mrs. Nakamura, who is looking very annoyed, complete with anger vein. She is looking at her husband, who is now sporting a lump that must have rapidly formed atop his head, her hands now on her hip.

"Don't you start that here and now! The poor boy has had a long flight, and would probably like to rest!" she chides.

"Yes, dear," Mr. Nakamura says in a weakened voice, silent tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Let's go get the rest of your luggage," Aiko says, tugging me along via my duffel bag. I do remember that my interviewer had told me that my host family was a little on the... unconventional side, but that seems to be an understatement. At least they seem nice. Mr. Nakamura even takes my two extra suitcases from the luggage carousel.

After he and I pack away my belongings in the trunk of the red rental SUV, I find myself seated in the back with Aiko and Aimi on either side of me. Mr. Nakamura gets in the driver's seat, and soon we are off.

"Uh, M-Mr. Nakamura?" I ask, still feeling intimidated by him and his general imposing figure.

"Yes?" he asks, looking back in the rearview mirror with a smile.

"You forgot your wife," I say, looking back to see Mrs. Nakamura staring at the car with her arms crossed, with one of those red anger veins again... oh wait, another one just popped up.

"Huh? ... Uh-oh," he says, hitting the breaks and quickly throwing the car into reverse. When we pull up next to Mrs. Nakamura, she's now sporting a third anger vein.

"Hehe, s-sorry, my love," Mr. Nakamura offers.

"Idiot! How many times must you drive off without me before you learn to stop and check to make sure I'm in the car first?!" she yells, her head doubling in size, her eyes white and pupiless, and her teeth veritable fangs.

"I'm so sorry, my love!" Mr. Nakamura says after turning to face her in his seat, hands together in a bow, looking as though he's praying for mercy to a terrifying entity... which maybe he is?

"Dad does this all the time," Aiko whispers to me with a quiet giggle.

"Sometimes we place bets on how far he gets before he realizes," Aimi added in.

"Now, get out," Mrs. Nakamura says, her head back to normal, but her arms still crossed.

"B-but..." Mr. Nakamura starts, before thinking better of it. He got out of the driver's side, holding the door open for his wife. He scrambles to the passenger side, saying nothing. Almost instantly, Mrs. Nakamura's demeanor becomes cheerful and upbeat.

"I'm sure that the flight must've really taken a lot out of you, Ambrose," she says... with flowers appearing in the air around her head? Woah. I thought that was special effects on the shows and movies! "So our plan was to head back home and help get you settled in and rest up a bit before maybe going out and showing you around a little. At least to help you get a bit more familiar with your new surroundings."

"I do feel a little jet lag, Mrs. Nakamura, thank you. However, it's not too bad. I made sure to stay up late the night before the flight, so that I could sleep on the plane," I explain.

"Smart idea, Ambrose-kun!" Aiko says, smiling.

"Ah, yes, I see," Mr. Nakamura says, rubbing his chin. "So you have a natural talent for controlling your circadian rhythm. A skill that could come in quite useful, especially if you are interested in the exquisite arts of the ninja--AGH!" Without taking her eyes off the road or even breaking her smile, Mrs. Nakamura, one hand still on the steering wheel, manages to land a chop on her husband's forehead.

"You can ask Ambrose about your hobby later, sweetie," she says.

"... Yes, dear," Mr. Nakamura says, now with an even bigger lump on his head! Feeling a tug on my sleeve, I look at Aimi who leans in to whisper.

"Dad's kinda like a big kid. And he's always been obsessed with ninjas. So he's probably going to try and get you to train under him. Just a heads up." Wow. I mean, I kinda gathered something to that effect from the clues he's been dropping, but still, that kinda came in out of left field. As we drive through the city, the Nakamuras and I fall into a surprisingly easy exchange. I learn that the name of my high school is TG Academy, and it's actually a private school, which sounds pretty nice. There is a semi-strict uniform code, but it doesn't sound too bad from what Aiko tells me.

Aimi will be going there starting next year, as she is thirteen but already studying advanced classes in her middle school. Aiko, despite her youthful energy and overall petiteness is actually a year ahead of me. Oh, I'm fifteen, by the way. She's a member of a few clubs, including a martial arts club, and something called the "Spy Club". Mr. Nakamura, I learn, is actually a book author, and has had a few titles published already. Mrs. Nakamura is actually an English teacher at the school, which if I remember correctly, is actually a pretty lucrative position. Soon, we are driving through what appear to be... suburbs? Oh!

We pull up to a brick wall with a metal gate that has some buttons and a speaker on the front. The house itself is definitely modern, constricted from brown bricks, with three long vertical windows facing the front.. It's made of brick, and I can see the front door and a side sliding-glass door leading to what I presume is a patio, obstructed by the aforementioned brick wall. It has a second storey. I can see two separate sliding glass doors leading to a balcony that also faces the front of the house, and long strips of windows. There's also a couple of trees to the left of the house, adding in some lovely green. While not as big or fancy as my family's house, it is definitely a nice, and very well maintained house! Not that I was expecting anything less.

"And home sweet home!" Mrs. Nakamura says in a sing-song voice. We all pile out of the car, with Mr. Nakamura heading around to the back and popping the trunk. I go to join him and help carry in my stuff. I'm going to try and grab as much as possible, so hopefully I won't seem rude. ... Wait, why did the light just glint off of Mr. Nakamura's eye? And why is he chuckling and rubbing his hands together like that?
"He he he, now is the perfect opportunity to test out my new Secret Luggage to Guest Bedroom Teleport Jutsu!" How did his voice reverberate like that... woah! Mr. Nakamura is making a rapid series of complicated hand gestures.

"Dad, please don't!" Aiko begs, but it is too late. With a flourishing clap... my luggage is now gone!

"See? Nothing to fear! I am a master of the ancient ninjutsu arts after all!" he says, giving a thumbs up while looking very proud of himself.

"Uh, Dad?" Aimi chimes in.

"Yes, sweetie? Did Daddy impress you enough with his ninjutsu that now you wanna learn how to become a ninja yourself?"

"No... I just noticed that all of the suitcases are now on the roof." We are all silent as we look up to find that yes, all of my luggage is now currently residing on tha Nakamura household roof, stacked all on top of one another.

"Dear," Mrs. Nakamura says with a sigh while rubbing her temple, "please get our guest's suitcases off of the roof."

"Y-yes, of course my love!" he says, a large sweat bead running down his face. He then holds up two fingers on his right hand... and vanishes?! Oh wait, he's now on the roof.

"I am so sorry for my husband using his... let's call them skills, on your luggage." Mrs. Nakamura looks over to me as she says this.

"It's quite alright," I say, now wondering if I have a giant bead of sweat myself. I'll have to do some extensive studying in a mirror at some point.

"Our Dad likes to practice and experiment with his ninjutsu whenever he can... with mixed results," Aiko says-- yup, now sporting a sweat thing of her own.

We head on inside, and I remember to take my shoes off just inside the door, hence why for the flight, I wore slip-ons! Inside is very cozy. Eggshell white walls with family pictures adorning the walls, an umbrella stand right by the front door. The hallway opens up to a living room with a large couch, some chairs, and an entertainment center.

"How about a quick tour of the house?" Aiko asks, already grabbing my arm... wow, she's got a really strong grip. I mean, I've heard of vice-like grips before, but this actually WOAH! Without waiting for an answer, Aiko bolts off with me trailing in tow, my feet no longer touching the ground, somehow kicking up clouds of dust in this impeccably clean house!

"You saw the living room, so here's the kitchen!" she says; the sudden stop is quite jarring. I do take in the details of the kitchen like the soft grey tiled floor, the darker grey formica counters, a large metallic fridge--WOOOSH! And we're off again.

"Here's the dining room!" I'm feeling a little dizzy, but I can make out one of those low-tables with the cushions on the floor. I've always wanted to try eating at one of those! I open my mouth to say as much, only for the wind to rip the words away. This continues on to the downstairs restroom, then upstairs to her bedroom. We're back out in a flash, but I notice a very impressive PC on her desk, as well as a bookshelf filled with all sorts of books and manga, but in a flash I find myself being shown Aimi's room. Huh, she's got several bookshelves, mostly filled with thick and well-worn books, some even being leatherbound. We pass by her parents' bedroom and then, finally, stop at what is to be my room.

"Ta-Daaa!" she says, finally letting me drop. I am fairly certain that my arm has been dislocated. Wobbly, I make it to my feet, and actually see myself in a mirror... my eyes look like... spirals? I shake my head, and things seem to shift back to normal in my vision. I see that all of my luggage has been stacked in the middle of the room. Looking around, I see a desk facing out one of the windows. There's some paintings of flowers hanging on the walls, but otherwise the walls are bare. I see the sliding doors of a closet, fairly certain that there's a rolled up futon waiting for me. I'm excited to give sleeping in one of those a try! Oh hey, there's a flatscreen TV on a wall, right next to a dresser, and a sliding glass door to the balcony!

"I know that it's a little on the bare side, but together, after you unpack, we can spruce it up!" Aiko says, as bubbly as ever.

"And the balcony looks out onto our backyard and garden!" she says, leading me to the door and opening it. We exit outside and I must say, that is one impressive garden. I see flowers and a tree, and what looks to be several cacti, neatly packed into the admittedly small area they had to work with. Nothing looking cramped or crammed in. There's even a shed.

"Well," Aiko starts, having turned to look at me, "what do you think?"

I smile. "Your home is amazing, and I'm really excited to be here." I mean it too. My family's home is much larger and well-kept... but... it's a very cold house. And I mean that emotionally. Conversely, the Nakamuras' home, while much smaller in comparison, is so much more warm and inviting.

This seems to please the odd yet likable girl before me. "I'm so happy!" she giggles as she jumps. "I've always wanted a little brother!" Okay, the hair ruffling is a little much, cute girl or not. She stops and giggles some more. "I'll let you unpack. Just come on down when you're ready to see some local sights!" Aiko then leaves the room, closing the door behind her. Not wasting any time, I set to unpacking my bags. As I hang my shirts up, I confirm that there IS a rolled up futon in my closet. SCORE! Scratching my itchy wrist, I set about taking care of the rest of my luggage.

 

 

And there you go! I certainly hope that you enjoyed the first chapter of my newest story!

10