Ch26 – Beyond the Mines
138 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A game was just a game, the fantasy and colorful magic in the games were all just codes and numbers. Programmed to do specific things according to specific actions. But the reality was different. They were no specific restriction that only opened Kevin’s eyes to an unlimited path according to class.

Seeing or in this case hearing what Queen Qirien did, changing her overall voice like it had been edited in a computer made him believed that the scope of a class went beyond just skills and abilities. A vocalist could tamper their own voice changing it to another was remarkable enough that even he felt tempted in choosing a vocalist-based class.

Calm down Kevin, this isn’t the time for deciding a class. I still haven’t gained all the available early titles and achievements yet.

“Kevin,” she called.

“Yes?” he snapped from his own world turning his head to the cloaked Queen.

“You have not told me your plan in dealing with the Devastator,” she said.

“Oh, that,” Kevin looked around until he saw a townsman with a miner’s hat on.

“Hi there, would you mind pointing me in the direction of the mine?" he asked.

The townsman had a pickaxe resting on his shoulder with a drowsy pair of eyes. He looked at Kevin and scanned him from top to bottom. Kevin’s clothes were similar to theirs, yet the person wearing it was unrecognizable. A new miner perhaps or just a stranger?

“Hey, Berto! Hurry up, our shift is starting soon,” a passing by miner hollered at the person standing in front of Kevin.

Berto was out of time and another tardy day would make his boss furious. He scratched off the possible thought that Kevin was a suspicious person as he just assumed that this stranger was a newcomer.

“The mine is at the far north of the town. If you want to start mining, you need to get a permit first from the town’s hall,” said Berto. 

Berto left the duo as he scampered on the dirt road making his way to the mines. He didn’t even bid goodbye to Kevin as he was in a rush.

“What is your purpose in asking such a question? The mines are visible, clear for us to see even from here,” said Queen Qirien.

“Well, we need an alibi, don’t we? Since we’re not hiding under invisibility, we need to buy some time,” said Kevin.

“Time? But for…” her words cut off as her ears twitched underneath the hood. 

“It's near,” said Queen Qirien, glancing over at Dunborke Woods.

“Then we better start moving,” said Kevin.

The two hooded duos hastened their pace, speed walking through the dirt road. At times, Kevin stumbled over the uneven ground. The numerous tire tracks from carriages ended up making the dirt road full of little potholes. It was a town with foreign merchants and peddlers coming to bid for the town’s specialty. Yet Kevin was different than the rest.

They went through the mining area as they made their way to the west side of the foot of the mountain. Surprisingly, no guards were securing the mining area, Kevin wondered at first but the answer came a bit faster than he expected.

After passing through the busied area of the mines, they hid behind a boulder. An obstacle that barred their path, a literal one at that. A wall made out of stones incorporated with a patrol tower that blocked him to his destination. Now he knew why there were no guards, perhaps the only exit of the town was the entrance he went through a while ago.

“We need to pass through that wall,” said Kevin.

Queen Qirien took out her dark green cloak as both shrouded into nothingness. With a little bit of aid from Queen Qirien, they went over the wall easily. 

After putting a distance away from the eyes on the watchtower, Queen Qirien stopped.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“It's here,” said Queen Qirien.

The two of them glanced at the same time towards the city behind them. A huge golem broke through the guarded gate as the townspeople went scurrying away in panic.

Red and blue eyes scanned the entirety of the town as no one dared looked at the giant that intruded on their beloved town. Even the guards were shivering in their boots as they knew better what kind of guest had arrived in their town.

“Call the mayor,” said one of the guards. 

The guard who had a pouch full of coins strapped on his belt went running towards the town hall.

“Let us hasten our pace,” said Queen Qirien as she unraveled themselves and kept the cloak into her sub-space ring.

The two moved along the path of the mountain until a cave showed up at the front. It wasn’t small nor was it big, it was similar to the size of two doors on each side. Queen Qirien frowned as her nose crinkled.

“I smell blood and corpse,” said Queen Qirien.

Kevin on the other hand was looking around at the mouth of the cave. The resemblance was uncanny, despite the game having a not-so realistic display. Yet, he still found a few things that made it sure he was at the right location.

He found a few markings etched on the mouth of the cave covered by plants and hanging trees. It appeared to be some sort of letters unknown to him yet he recognized it and to make things better, he saw the biggest clue of them all.

“Found it,” he said with a smile.

Queen Qirien drawn to Kevin walked closer and peered over Kevin’s shoulder. Then she saw what he was looking for and not a second too late, her countenance fell.

“A tomb,” her eyes shook as she turned to Kevin.

“Oh, you can read this?” Kevin asked.

“Do you know whose tomb is this?” She asked.

“Of course, it’s a dragon tomb.” 

   

 

11