Chapter 17 – The Birthday Party Part 2
856 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warning: Fluff and wholesome content ahead. Be sure to brush your teeth after reading!

Haha Hope you all enjoy the new chapter! =D 

Chapter 17 – The Birthday Party

I waved for the pretty girl to enter my house with a bow...which was noticed by the Moms if their giggles were any indication. Lily had a red tinge to her cheeks, but smiled and entered just the same.

Once everyone was inside, dad started on a tour of the house. Lily and I were in the back of the group as her parents moved up with mine and the Weasleys to see the tour. Al and Rose were looking at things and sharing excited whispers. James and Hugo seemed to somehow have broken a vase already and Hugo was, quite frantically, trying to stick the broken shard back on as James pulls out his wand to fix it. He keeps looking over his shoulder to make sure his parents don't notice. 

Lily and I walked in silence.

'Come on, brain! Think of something clever to say!'

"You're a pretty girl!..." I say turning to her and then immediately turning away to facepalm. What I had meant to say was,

'Lily, your overalls are quite charming. You remind me of an artist about to paint a masterpiece. Though, based on your appearance, a masterpiece has already been made.'

That would have been fucking smooth. Hindsight is 20/20.

*Snort* "What? No, I'm not. But...thanks for the compliment. You, on the other hand, look like a freaking child model!" She quips back.

"No really, I mean it! You are seriously, very pretty. I swear! I wouldn't lie to you...Ah, and yeah. I am a model. Or was. Before Hogwarts. I mean, before getting my letter for Hogwarts and all...I totally haven't gone there yet...as you already know...hahaha..." I say flailing my hands around as I tried, and failed, to talk like a normal person.

'Shut up, Jordan. Just. Shut. Up!'

I clamp my mouth closed with a snap of my jaw as Lily stares at me with a raised eyebrow.

*Pft*

I look over to see Lily covering her mouth and bending over trying not to laugh out loud. I want to be upset...but she is super pretty...and her laugh is intoxicating...

'Grandpa! Help! What the hell is going on with me right now? I have never been bad at talking to people before!'

{Puberty, Jordan. This is wonderful to watch. Like going to a comedy show!}

'Don't just watch me, you sadist, help me!'

{No can do, Jordan. Learning to talk to women you are interested in is a skill you have to pick up on your own. Give it time, you will get better at it.}

'Can you at least give me some advice?'

{Hmm...I suppose I can do that...Listen and remember everything she says and, for God's sake, think before you speak. Take a second to form the sentences in your mind before answering her. This will show her you are paying attention and actually care about the conversation. Then, just ask her about herself and listen. Most people like to talk about themselves and their likes or dislikes.}

"...Jordan?" Lily asks, tilting her head in confusion.

"Huh!? What? Sorry, I was lost in thought for a second hahaha..." I say, then remember Grandpa's words and take a deep breath. 

Thinking carefully, I ask, "Sorry about that, what was it you said?"

"...I just asked if you are excited to go to Hogwarts?" She says with an awkward smile.

Thinking. "Yes! I only learned about this world 3 days ago. This is all very new to me, but I am excited for the opportunity to learn!"

She gives me a cocky smile and hooks a thumb pointing at herself. "Don't you worry about a thing! I will take you under my wing and make you a great wizard! I am the Gryffindor Seeker and I hold a lot of sway in the second- ...third years!" Lily says proudly, "It can be pretty nerve-wracking the first year, but it gets better! Once you hit your second year, not even the ghosts scare you anymore!"

"Says the girl who nearly peed herself when the stairs moved under her for the first time..." Hugo says quietly under his breath. 

Lily's face blushes deep crimson, from her ears to her chest, and she savagely kicks Hugo in the heel. He hollers and hops up and down on the other foot. Mrs. Potter and Mrs. Granger-Weasley spin around in an instant, as parents used to troublesome kids learn to do, and zero in on the situation. Mrs. Potter simply raises an eyebrow in disappointment at her daughter while Mrs. Granger-Weasley growls out, "Best. Behavior." 

"Don't worry about that Ginny, Hermione! Just kids being kids. There are no objects in this house that can't be replaced." Dad says with a winning smile. "Why, when my brothers were still living here, we would get into some truly brutal scuffles. This one time..." He trails off after a look from my mom. 

*Ahem* "This room is our music hall. The baby grand piano in the back is a vintage..."

With their parent's attention focused back on the tour, the kids resume their previous conversations.

Hugo glares at Lily with a promise of retribution. 

"Hey, you started it," Lily whispers to him. He flips her the bird and she rolls her eyes as she turns her attention back to me. 

"You have a lively family," I say with a smirk at her.

She gives an exaggerated sigh and frowns, saying, "You have no idea."

Thinking. "Can you tell me about them? Or just yourself? I am interested in learning more about you." I ask earnestly with my brightest smile.

Lily jolts back as if she has been struck. She turns to the side with her hand on her heart and whispers to herself. "This kid's smile is a freakin' weapon..."

I probably wasn't supposed to hear that, so I tilt my head in confusion and wait for her to respond. I am a bit upset at her calling me a "kid" when she is only 2 or 3 years older than me, but I let it go. I doubt she meant anything bad by it. 

*Ahem* "Hmm...Well, I am the youngest of three children and the youngest of 12 cousins. I am 13, by the way. My family is much, MUCH too big. It is really noisy and shi- stuff like before happens all the time. I love them...but I really wish I could get some peace and quiet now and then. Or for James and Hugo to stop pranking me... That is one of the reasons I like Hogwarts so much! No loud family to bother me. Well, that and Quidditch. And learning the magic, of course." She explains.

After a breath, she continues, "But honestly, I don't think my life is all that interesting. At home, I am in my room alone most of the time, and I don't really have many hobbies other than Quidditch...Oh! I started reading some muggle monster romance novels with my friends at school. We only read them ironically, mind you. So that we can laugh at and about them. They are all really dumb. Like this one I read about a human and a vampire who were in love, but there was also this kinda-werewolf-shapeshifter-guy who liked her too. Some of the romance scenes were sorta nice, I guess, but I just couldn't get over how dumb the premise was. A Vegetarian Vampire? Come on, that is hilarious!" She giggles and her laughter is like music to my ears.

"But other than that...Oh, yeah...My dad is super famous. You will probably learn a lot about him at school, but it really isn't that big of a deal. Well, okay. That isn't true. My dad rocks and did a bunch of cool stuff at Hogwarts, but it isn't such a big deal now that Voldy is gone. Hmm...I think that is about it..." She trails off, hitting her index finger against her lips in thought. The action is incredibly cute.

As she is speaking, I find myself mesmerized by her words, and I am forced to focus every time my mind slips. When she starts tapping her finger against her lips, I lose the battle of focusing and zone out watching the adorable action. 

I don't know what this is, but I got it bad. 

{Ah. To be young again.}

'Grandpa, I only got about half of that, what do I do?'

{Do your best. That is all you can do in these situations. Girls can talk at lightning speed, and you just have to catch what you can and retain it.}

'Alright...Thanks...I guess.'

{Anytime, Jordan.}

Grumbling to myself a bit over the seemingly useless advice Grandpa gave me, I see that Lily is still thinking as we walk along. The group is heading towards the library and then the tour is ending since the 2nd floor is the bedrooms, office rooms, and guest rooms. 

"Um...Well, I can talk about myself a bit if you'd like?" I suggest and she jumps out of her thoughts. She seems to react explosively to things. That is really cute in and of itself, and I bet she would be fun to tease.

"Yes! Tell me about you!" She asks excitedly.

"Um...I was a child model and actor. I starred in some kid's movies and even a couple of big-time Rom-Coms. I mostly modeled for magazines targeted at kids or young adults. As for my family, I am the youngest of three as well, but I don't have any cousins that I know of. I've lived here in Godric's Hollow for all my life and was homeschooled for most of it. I did have some friends...but..." I trail off frowning.

"But?" She prods, not realizing it is an uncomfortable topic for me. Gotta remember that she is a normal girl. Not many kids my age have as much of a read on people as I do...Which is probably for the best. Means they haven't had to doubt people all the time. 

"They were only interested in me because of my money and fame. I...well, I don't really have any friends."

She stops dead in her tracks and looks at me with intense emotions swimming behind her eyes. The others have moved inside the Library, but we have remained outside in the hallway. I look at her in question and wait for her to say whatever she wants to say.

"I...Understand that feeling well. I am the daughter of 'The Boy Who Lived,' niece to the Minister For Magic, sister to the 'School Hero,' and cousin of so many that have done great things at Hogwarts...People suck up to me and pretend to be my friend all the time. I..went through similar things when I was younger and in my first year. People who want to meet Dad...or people who want Mom's autograph...I even had someone try to get me to put in a good word about their dad to Aunt Hermione. I know that pain...For me, I just got good at picking out the real friends from the fake."

She puts her hands on my shoulders and I see the same pain I have always felt in her eyes. "Trust me, you will find real friends at Hogwarts. I did, and you will too. In fact...I would really like to be your friend if...you want?" She says with a bit of hesitation and a blush to her cheeks.

She knows what I have felt and she wants to be my friend? ...This is more than I thought possible!

'Grandpa Gryffindor, I just got a real friend!'

{I think you got more than that...but we will see where things go.}

I am not sure what he means, but I am too happy to think about it right now.

"Yes! I would like that very much!" I nearly shout. I blush at the outburst and Lily starts laughing. I join in and we both laugh and smile at each other. 

This birthday is already off to a great start!

"That was adorable. Now, go for the kiss, Cuz!" Hugo says from the doorway to the Library.

Once again Lily's face, ears, and chest go bright red. She turns with a growl to chase Hugo through the Library until their moms separate them to give them a good scolding. 

I watch my new friend with a laugh as she is berated by her mom. She risks a weak smile towards me and I can't help but think that all of her reactions are beautiful. A blush comes to my cheeks at the thought of spending more time with her today and in the future.

Yup. Best birthday ever.  

13