Ch 30. The open season
964 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it is the new chapter!

I was peacefully sleeping when I was woken up by someone shaking me.

“Captain, it’s your turn.” (O)

To hell with it…” I grumbled while accepting the honorary guard rifle. We all had no desire to carry all three rifles on our backs, or to sleep hug them, so we all used Jester’s rifle when guarding.

After I jumped down from the engine I looked around but did not see anyone.

‘It is 1 o’clock?’ I checked the watch and was disappointed to see that this night will be longer than I expected.

Because I lacked anything to make myself busy I started examining the rifle.

AK-74M. I have no idea why those were inside the tank. My AKMS has foldable stock but those have their stocks fixed. Full-length rifles are a pain to use inside the tank but in the field… Well, I’ll ask Old man why they have those. Maybe they like walking and that will allow me to have cheap and expendable infantry.

I opened the notebook and tried writing down ‘AKS-74U’ but nothing was registered. I tried calling Ether to clarify what is going on but nobody answered the radio.

To hell with you all…

I continued walking back and forth to pass the time. After some time I relaxed and started stargazing.

It would be better to say I was searching for any way to distract myself from the boredom but at least it is bearable to stay here, as the air is just a bit cold. If it was winter, I would already be kicking those two outside to replace me.


Haaaaa…

“Don’t yawn on the post!” Unlike me, Jester had some good night sleep.

Jester, do you know what I saw when I examined the rifle?

“Mercy~! Oh, c’mon it shouldn’t be that dirty already! I only cleaned it yesterday!” (J)

Jester, do not tell me you cleaned it while on post…

Gulp

Old man, find us the worst way and the largest puddles. If ‘we’ will be cleaning the tank then how about we have some fun?

C-can you change your mind about it…?” (J)

No problem, Dima. THIS time I will let you off the hook. In exchange you will be replacing me during the winter. Is it fine?

Yes…” (J)

Don’t cry. Men do not cry.

After I accepted the supplies we went to the vanguard position. Their scouts should provide us with information where we can set up an ambush.


The village was only two kilometers away which surprised me.  I had no good map of the area and the map I was provided shows that the village should be at least 10 kilometers away.

When we were near, several soldiers met us.

Are you the mercenaries?” They were looking at the tank awestruck.

S-somewhat…?” I feel like it was a bad idea to call ourselves mercenaries, after all we are military personnel. Every time we are called mercenaries I want to vomit.

What can we do to assist you?” (S)

Tell us where we can find the freshest intel.” The soldier looked at me in confusion.

Erhm… If you want to talk to our lord, you can go to that house.” (S)

Thank you. At ease.Forward.

‘wRRR

We stopped near the improvised headquarters where were tied a few horses, and while I will be briefed, I want the crew to do something useful.

Here is the notebook and the pen. Write down anything you need. Check our ammo and fuel and order them as well. Consumables, books, cigarettes…

“Pads.” (J)

Well, you can order them as well if you’re leaking. Though in your case I suggest diapers.” I just hope I myself would not need any.

I entered the house.

Are you here to meet the Lord?” A man stopped me right after I entered.

No idea. I am here to have the recon information.

The Lord is currently busy, wait for a…” (M)

I don’t care. Either I get briefed now, or I myself will find whoever can do this.

Give me a moment.” The man entered one of the rooms. When he peeked out he gestured me to come inside.

Sorry to make you wait. We are currently overwhelmed with work, after all soon our reinforcements will arrive. Enemy reinforcements will arrive as well.” A man in red uniform was doing paperwork and did not even have time to look at me.

Are you expecting a combat?

No, the enemy heads to the city. They want to complicate the siege. Will you be following the main forces?” (L)

No. We will be hunting for the enemies in the area.

Good to know. Patrick, pass her this map. The suspected caravan routes are marked there. They supply the city with food, weapons and materials. We will be dealing with the second largest city of the kingdom and just its own defenses can cause colossal losses. If you can cause them some trouble, we all will be eternally grateful.” (L)

I see… This will help me find them.” I went to the exit.

Wait a second. Can you do me a favor?” The lord putted aside his paperwork.

It depends.” But it does not hurt to listen.

His Grace, Duke Valencio, was caught when the city was captured. He was not moved out of there so we believe the enemy might try doing that soon. If it is possible, please, save him.” (L)

Got it.

Outside I took the radio.

Papa Crow, prepare for take off.

26