Ch 37. There is always a bigger gun
746 10 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was sitting in the commander’s seat. On my lap was a map of the area and the combat mission plotter [A small plastic plate with stencils and protractor, specifically designed to be used to work with maps and documents.].

“Square 48-12-A. Near the forest.” Old man radioed me the coordinates.

High explosive.

Whuuuu-ch-whuu

I checked the target input.

Fire mission. Azimuth 34. Range… 6300.

Whuuuuuuuu

The turret turned to the target and the gun was elevated.

“Ready.” (J)

Fire.

Shooting!” (J)

BOOM

A few seconds later the response came.

Good hit! Good hit! Keep pounding there!” (O)

Whuuuu-ch-whuu

BOOM

Since we did not participate in the combat, we were assisting the allied forces with our fire.

Old man was sent out with binoculars and the map. He provided us the coordinates near the former artillery position of the enemy.

BOOM

Khorosh palit’! Zhdi sleduyushuyu tsel’!” [Enough firing! Wait for the next target!] (O)

Roger. Jester, if you will…?

Damn it…” Jester climbed out to reach an ammo box which we put on the turret roof.

We don’t have enough space and men to keep firing like an SPG so we decided to put a couple of ammo boxes with HE shells and put the ammo inside the carousel of the autoloader while there are no targets.

“There is another tough fight. Square 48-10-A. Should be on the same line.” (O)

Jester was still busy loading.

Load this one and get back to the controls.

S*, turn the carousel a bit.” He could not put the shell inside so I manually cranked the turning.

When he was done, he sat and turned on the autoloader.

Whuuuu-ch-whuu’

Fire mission. Azimuth 31. Range 6300.

Whuu-Wh

“Ready!” (J)

Fire.

Shooting!” (J)

BOOM


Old man’s POV

BOM

A shell exploded near a formation of enemy infantry. It was enough to cause chaos and let the allies charge.

The enemy frontline was crumbling. The small groups of resisting forces were pushed back further and further, or straight up slaughtered. The larger groups were pounded by our tank, and the archers.

Where are they going next?!” I called out to the commanding officer.

They will charge the gates!” I almost shouted from shock. This is the worst of all options.

ARE YOU CRAZY?!

THIS MIGHT BE THE LAST CHANCE TO TAKE THE GATES BEFORE THEY ARE CLOSED!!!” I immediately contacted the captain.

Captain, this is Old man! We have an emergency here! Those idiots are going to try taking the gates!

Wait one…

I looked at the rushing soldiers. Most of them are young, might be they were forced to fight…

Requesting position of the enemy. I will have artillery pound them.” After a bit of thinking she responded.

YOU TOO?!

Those idiots will do whatever they want, let them bite more than they can chew. Try to decrease the casualties but don’t risk yourself.

Acknowledged…Damn it…

As the line of battle shifted further and further from my position I picked up my gear and ran to the next position I deemed suitable.

When I arrived, I jumped down and lied with the rifle at ready. There were no enemies nearby but the fight was still within my sight.

“New targets. Square 49-10-A. The targets are inside a building.”

Almost a minute later a shell exploded near the target.

Narrow miss! Aim to the right, 10 meters. Aim up, 20 meters.”

Half a minute later another shell came in. It went right into the wall of the building. With the expected outcome.

Target is down! New target. Square 49-10-B. About 50 meters to the right of the previous target!”

The assault continued. With every shell, the enemy defenses were closer to collapsing. A couple dashes later I saw the walls of the city. Now, the planned combat maneuvers turned into one herd chasing after the other.

You idiots…’ And then I remembered.

“Captain, gatehouse position is: Square 54-13-A. Requesting heavy pounding!”


A. Belov’s POV

Understood. Requesting heavy artillery.

Napalm, this is Beril-Main, requesting artillery fire at: Square 54-13-A. Over.

“Battery, orders acknowledged. How tight should we fire?” I heard a strong Caucasian accent.

I want everything gone there. That tight!

“Ponyel, Daragoy! Vsyo sdelayim! … OR-R-RUDIYE!!!” [Undarstood, Dear! Will do everything! .. GU-U-UN!!!]

Soon I heard the echo of a gunfire. From my experience, they are less than 10 km away.

Boom Boom Boom Boom

“Otkat normalniy! Zaryazhai!” [The recoil is nominal! Load!]

Good pounding! Right at the target!” Old man reported.

How are the allies?

“Stopped, standing, running away from there!” (O)

Good! Tell me when they stop their assault!

Boom Boom Boom Boom

STOP FIRING!!! THEY ARE RUSHING IN THROUGH THE EXPLOSIONS!!!” (O)

SEIZE FIRE!!!

“Roger! ALL GUNS, CEISE FIRE!!!

Tch.

So, can I relax, or…?” (J)

You can. Those idiots will do whatever they want. By themselves.” I wash my hands.

I did what I could.

27