Ch 48. The epicentre
534 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the next door opened, I saw a scene of a slaughter.

Once again, I found knife wounds on the bodies. I expected everything but not the dead everywhere.

I counted 11 bodies, all had wounds in the chest area but not all of them were the same. Some wounds were cut, and some were pierced. No bullet holes on the coats, so I speculated they were not killed by their employers. If I’d be sent to clear a lab full of eggheads, then I would shoot before they can unleash something lethal.

Well, I can be saying whatever I want but I will have to bayonet-charge them, if I am ordered to.

I searched for any clues but found nothing, so I opened the next room.

There was another pile of bodies, around 6 of them. Someone survived the slaughter, or it was done after the assault. The room was wrecked but I found a working computer.

[Observation log 1995-10-U.

Day 12 of experiment. The embryo appears to be viable enough. In 96 hours we might see the hatchling.

The survival of this one will confirm that method is working as planned. The ‘Wyvern’ egg cells were synthesized successfully and are waiting for their conception.

Dr. A. Stein.]

There was another one.

[Observation log 1996-01-A.

The synthetic chick survived and thus opened the path to the new organisms. It is the entirely new area of genetics and biology. I can’t help feeling excited to see what is going to happen.

Until the embryos hatch, I will continue observing the synthetic chicken.

Dr. A. Stein.]

I was closer to the answers, yet there were no clues.

The rest of the data was about the growth of the ‘synthetic chicken’, so I continued opening doors, like it is the price of mine.


The next door was jammed, and required another direct approach. After a short jog for a steel frame, I opened the door.

Immediately, my nose was attacked by the stench of rot, to which I still could not get used. The bodies were once again piled in a corner, and the place was in ruins.

In the middle of the room I saw a huge transparent plastic panel with numerous schematics of an unknown civilization. Those eggheads are the worst kind of aliens. I had to spend some time to just get an idea of what was written. Even the doctors have clearer writing.

The computers are abundant in this complex, so I started with one in this room.

[Observation log 1900-813-A.

I sent 4 requests to Dr. Wu to explain what the hell he mixed in this abomination.

The military was beyond crazy to hear that we lost 2 prototypes due to the prototype A-1 killing them.

We have reinforced the containment area and enforced strict control of the access. New blast doors will help preventing access. For now.

The A-1 continues to grow and responds to its training rather well.

We might be able to succeed. We are too close to fail now.

Dr. M. Yerberg.]

I searched among the entries, and found only one log from Steiner. A brief audiolog.

[Personal log, Dr. A. Steiner.

The prototype hatchling A-1 shows unusual activity. Ever since we established continuous observation, it showed many interesting behavior patterns, unusual for any of its parent species. It is clear that it exceeded the capabilities of its siblings. The A-2 and A-3 are staying together, as if they separated half of the territory of the enclosure.

Fascinating…

W-wait…?! Malcolm, Malcolm! They are fighting!

Dr. M. Yerberg – Let them. We have a good opportunity to…

Oh no! It is getting out of control!

Dr. M. Yerberg – What the… SEND THE TEAM IMMEDIATELY!]

I had a slight guess about what happened here…


I entered the next room.

It was tide and empty. There was no stench. I finally breathed in properly.

Aside from an improvised bed, I found some simple utensils from lab equipment. What was actually interesting is the amount of notes. Notes were stuck everywhere. The walls were covered in small papers and schemes.

I approached the only computer.

[Observation log 1901-04-K.

The specimen showed incredible growth, reaching 4m within the first year of its life. I already requested a new habitat.

Despite several lethal accidents, the military still refuses to reconsider the program. With its growing size, the Wyvern will soon be incontainable.

Dr. A. Stein.]

There were many ‘locked’ entries, requiring password. Only one more was accessible.

[Observation log 1902-866-Z.

Code Z. The prototype broke its containment. The security teams were torn apart. The prototype makes its way through the complex. I authorized the complete lockdown.

Whoever finds this message, please, delete all of the records about the project ‘Wyvern’. It must not be repeated.

Dr. M. Yerberg.]

I checked the rifle and headed to the next door. The door was covered in weird paintings.


I entered the room. It was a mess, with only one feature. A dreadful one.

A steel table with a couple of lab coats on it, surrounded by dead bodies. All cut in half, and each holding a candle in its hand.

On the table was another body, covered with a coat.

Its dry hand held a tablet with a paper note.

[To the one who judges us, forgive her. For she did nothing wrong.]

I gently uncovered the body, and saw a mummy with name sewn to the lab coat.

[Dr. A. Stein]

Should Belov access the tablet?
  • Better leave the dead alone. Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It might contain the answers. Votes: 14 93.3%
Total voters: 15 · This poll was closed on Jun 1, 2021 05:18 PM.
19