Ch 54. Miscommunication problems
561 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The commander’s tent was weirdly empty.

What is going on?” I asked about the empty chairs.

We have an assault planned.” (LC)

Haaa… Did I not tell you that I want the plans to be coordinated with me?

We just want to try and apply some pressure. It is not a full-scale assault.” (LC)

Try all you want but don’t spoil my plans.

I took a map of the fortress and put it on the table. The Lord Commander approached me.

We want to keep their attention here, while the actual assault will happen here. We will knock into their door, and make our way inside, together with your infantry. Can I count on that?” He nodded.

"When will the duke arrive? I need to make sure there will be no setbacks."

His Grace will come soon. The medics reported that the rebel leaders woke up, so the information will be here soon.” Now it was my turn to nod.

We continued comparing our plans until we understood each other. The allied assault will draw the attention to where we want.

While we were talking, Valencio entered.

Your Grace.” The Lord Commander bowed.

At ease. Good to see you, ‘Sir’ Belov.” (V)

The ‘pleasure’ is mine.

Did I do something to displease you?” The duke was truly confused.

Sorry, I did not mean to concern you. I just don’t like your accent on my sex.

I will think of a way to avoid touching this subject. Forgive me for making you uncomfortable. Now, let me tell you, the strategist heads, what I learned.

The enemy is prepared to send their forces to the crumbled gatehouse. They believe that those ruins have strategic significance and are our best chance at breaking through.

The citizens are on the edge. They were robbed and repressed relentlessly. A single spark would ignite the rebellion, and we can help in it.

There is a number of people on the enemy’s side, that are ready to trade. For a bag of gold, they will sell us everything. For example, they would open the gates, albeit for a few minutes. It will be enough to bring a message and weapons inside.” (V)

I am not too knowledgeable of nobles but I know you should have some gold.

More than enough.” Valencio nodded.

So, people, I suggest you prepare the citizens, and tell them that after the explosions start, the rebellion should start as well.” The council of 3 approved it univocally.


I closed the hatch.

wrrr-rrr-rrr-WRRRUUUUM

The main battle tank roared, and I put on the tank helmet.

Forward.

wrrRRR

We moved to the frontlines. The day of the assault has come.

The tank made its way to the allied positions and we showed ourselves to the enemy. Immediately, the walls of the fortress livened up.

Cake, come in, this is Beril-Main. Requesting air support. Over.

This is Status. Beril-Main, stand by for confirmation.” An unknown callsign responded.

Who the hell are you? Over.

“This is callsign Status.” (St)

I didn’t call for you, comrades. I was calling the callsign Cake.

That’s affirmative. Status on line.

Erhm… Status, how do you read me…?” I need to make sure it is not a problem with radio.

“Reading you 5 by 5.” (St)

Then what…?” ...are you doing here?

“Beril-Main, this is Status, you have been authorized. Your request is put on…” (St)

Comrades, what the f* is going on? Can you tell me who the f* am I talking to?!

“This is callsign Status.” (St)

And now in human language?

“This is Engel’s-Tower. Callsign Cake is under our jurisdiction. Your bird was put in the service queue. ETA 5 hours.” (St)

WHAT?!

“I repeat, ETA 5 hours.” (St)

Why so long?!This is outrageous!

Your aircraft is not the only one here. As soon as we have a free maintenance crew, Cake will be prepared for take off. Over.” (St)

That… that’s affirmative…

“Status, over and out.” (St)

So?” (J)

Aborting the assault. Old man, bring us back.


Four hours later.

Beril-Main, this is Cake. Come in, over.” A hoarse voice called.

Cake, we are desperate for you.

In one hour four minutes, we will arrive. Waiting for our target.” I put a strike mark in the war room but instead of the usual ‘circle’ mark, the was a long fat line.

The line was just begging to be put on one of the walls. I chose one wall near the planned attack point, and we were ready.

As silently as 1000 horse power diesel could, we made our way to the position.

This is Cake, we are entering the area. Attack course set, entering the course.” (Ca)

Forward!” The tank slowly drove forward and the allied infantry followed us.

When the tank entered the plains around the fortress, and the wall was in clear view, we stopped.

19