Ch 58. Setting up, Day 1
483 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The insides of the house were somewhat intact. Aside from shattered dishes, and things thrown around, the furniture was fine. Everything that could be sold was stolen, and the rest was lying on the floor.

I knew that I would be getting in the guys’ was so I decided to search for a bucket. At least I hope they will appreaciate me cleaning the dust and mopping the floor.

When I found a broom, the next second after I picked it up I had it pulled out of my hands.

Hey?

“Thanks for the efforts but can you, please, go and help Old man pick up the stuff lying around?” (J)

Yes…Am I useless even at cleaning…?


I started picking up the things.

I started in the dining room. There were a couple of bowls remaining, because they were not made of clay but of wood. The other utensils, like spoons, were mostly intact. It’s hard to break wood by throwing it on the floor. In the minutes I was done picking up the things that were usable, and then Old man swept everything else into a pile.

We’re done here, now let’s proceed next.

The next was the living room where were beds. I was picking up sheets and pillow covers, since the pillow themselves were cut open. Thank you, damned robbers, for having all this hay on the floor.

After checking the inventory, I started making the ‘shopping list’. Since the necessary things, like shells and fuel, are ordered, I can focus on other areas of our living.

In the next supply drop we should request some quality-of-life things, like a portable shower and a lot of soap. Since we will be stuck here for the time being, it is better to have a good rest. For example, to sleep at last.

I ordered the entire supply drop’s worth of things. I even ordered some condensed milk to sweeten the life of the crew.


I chose the closest available space – a square nearby.

I approached the allied soldiers.

Get those people out of here. I need this entire square for military business.

The entire square…?!” The soldiers exchanged looks and asked in disbelief.

The entire square. I need you to make those people go away. I don’t want to sort the civilian complaints about people crushed to death.” After I emphasized the last part, the soldiers ran somewhere.

Soon a company of soldiers arrived and started leading the civilians out of the square. Even though there were complaints about how this ‘affects my business’, and ‘we were already oppressed enough’, the soldiers did everything fast and precisely. I finally threw a smoke can to the place I want the crates to arrive.

Even though I just threw the can, I was already worrying that the wind will scatter the smoke before the plane arrives. Those cylinder smoke cans have many qualities but one of them is that it is just a smoke mark, not a smoke screen. It works for a short time and produces a cloud of bitter red smoke for aircraft or artillery. Some wind, and it will be gone. It is noticeable, and is used to mark the area, mostly to show where not to bomb.

While the red smoke was still working, I waited for an aircraft to arrive.

I dropped it in the middle of the square and the colored smoke attracted some people. Some brave children even approached closer.

GET THE F* AWAY FROM THERE!

As the super-heavy transport prepared to drop the payload, I had to watch out for curious bystanders, preparing to suicide themselves under heavy crates.

In the distance I saw a huge white plane approaching. Even though I belong to the ground, I recognized the fat body of Il-76.

I started to be nervous, since usually we receive the supply drops in open space, where the transport could easily release its cargo, or even touch-and-go, without the risk of hitting something on the way. However, this time we are having the drop in the middle of this settlement, and there is barely enough space to drop the crates with cargo.

This time I relied on the rocket boosters, used to stop the cargo from crashing into the ground. The rocket-braking system is designed to let the payload land safely despite its weight, or the height it is dropped from but I am not sure enough if everything is going to be alright.

Will the Captain let the crew rest?
  • Yes, she will. Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Yes, she will not. Votes: 2 22.2%
  • The crew will rest, military-style. With the full range of on-duty activities. Votes: 2 22.2%
Total voters: 9 · This poll was closed on Jul 18, 2021 12:48 PM.
12