Ch 70. An explosive ambush
406 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wake up! I saw something!

Jester sat up and glued himself to the scope.

The forest started filling up with shadows. The war room showed them as definitely red.

Load HE.

Whuuuu-ch-whuu

“Ready.” (J)

The shadows twitched when the gun rose, and when the gun returned to the firing position.

After waiting for a bit, the shadows moved forward.

I looked at their movement. It was too early to tell if they are going to attack.

Then a number of small fires appeared. The fires appeared to move but only a bit.

Fire.” Instead of waiting to find out what the hell those guys are doing, I ordered to fire.

Shooting!” (J)

BOOM

The group that lit the small fires was consumed by a flash. Then the machine guns opened fire.

Tra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta

Bu-bu-bu-bu-bum

The shadows were being mowed down, and started running.

BOOM

By the time we stopped firing there were no shadows in sight.

Shut down the engine. I want to sleep already.


When I woke up the next morning, I saw how the villagers were exploring the battlefield.

Those weird people.” I climbed down from the engine cover and glanced at Old man.

“I saw how they were picking up the weapons. They pioneer [Soviet pioneers were known for gathering scrap metal for recycling, hence the verb spionerit’. Here it is translated as ‘to pioneer’.] the scrap metal?” (O)

Maybe they do.

While I was brushing my teeth, the village chief passed through the gates.

Thank you for killing the goblins. I will consult with the others and answer your question. Afterwards, go away. The last thing we want is to have the foreigners arrive.” (M)

Mmmhm.

I couldn’t care less about the enemy arriving. When we are kicked out, we will take position nearby and prepare to greet the possible guests.

I would be a unique sort of an idiot, if I believed we would be allowed to ambush somebody by the village. The other question is would the villagers know we are going to.

What’s up with that smug face~? A new genius plan?” (J)

There is nothing you won’t guess.

Come on, Captain, tell me.” I glared at him. Finally, he stopped pestering me and I could drink some coffee.

Can a kid drink coffee~?” (J)

Can a s*pants drink vodka~?

“I’m not a brat!” (J)

Neither am I.

“Whatever you say!” (J)

While we were bickering, the village chief came again. He led me to a side.

Ask what you want, and get the hell away from here.” (M)

How often do the foreigners come here?

They came only once. They searched the village, raped my wife, and then forgot about our existence. Are you satisfied?” (M)

Yes. Prepare to move out! Are you satisfied?” The chief fumed, and stomped away. The palisade gates closed right behind him.


We found a nice firing position further away from the village. Even if the villagers try to warn the possible enemies, we are not going to be affected.

We laid in ambush for the entire day. Only when the evening approached we saw a group of torches approach.

Using the MLRS was out of question. We may be within the covered area, and the cluster munitions can hit us too.

The group was small.

It may be a stray group of villagers but I couldn’t tell. The NVG was blinded by the light of torches.

It was the time to make a call.

Hold fire.

The group soon approached the village. They started doing something with the gates. The villagers showed up immediately.

Because the torches were doused, I could finally see that a fight started there.

They are enemies.

I see too.” (J)

This group appears to be too small to be an actual fighting force. I suspect them to be a recon.

Basilisk, I want a couple of shells right on top of those guys’ heads.

“Copy that. Can you use the laser designator?” (B)

That’s affirmative. Jester, aim somewhere in the middle of that group.

If I am correct, then the main force will come after we uncover our position. But what if we do not fire?

“Target lit.” (J)

Fire at ready.

“Firing two. … Impact in 10.” (B)

BOOM BOOM

The shots landed right in the middle of the enemy forces. Not only the enemy soldiers were out of sight but also the villagers on the palisade wall.

Good work, Basilisk.

“I feel sorry for those guys.” (O)

Better feel sorry for them if another bunch comes.

15