Ch 72. An objective of tactical significance
336 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Group of horsemen. Orders?” (J)

I wondered if it is a good idea. It was too bright to use the night vision, and too dark to confirm their affiliation through the optics.

Stand down. Let’s continue moving.

Since we already caused a lot of noise here, we might as well move to the other side of the plains.

We stopped somewhere in the middle of the plains, and set up the tent.

The engine cover was hot enough to warm up some water, and keep us warm throughout the night.

Old man stood on guard, while I could finally sleep after the entire day of looking around.

Stop moving!” I kicked Jester when he started turning in the sleeping bag.

Am I supposed to be lying like a log…?” (J)

I am fine with letting you replace Old man.

“You devil.” (J)


The next morning, when I woke up I found it hard to breathe. I tried to crawl out of the tent but I was stuck.

What the hell?’ I picked up a lighter and lit it.

Immediately I saw that I was hugged from behind.

There were two options: I am still sleeping, or…

Wake up.” I hit Jester with my elbow.

Mhm…?” He hummed into the back of my head.

Wake up, I said.

“I swear, it was not intentional.” He hurried to move his arms away.

If it was intentional, you would be flying out of here. You are on duty tomorrow.” I crawled out, and started preening.


This day we crossed the entire plains, and somewhere at the edge of our zone of operation we found a fort.

It was a small wooden fort. A perfect target.

It didn’t look like we were spotted, because there was no additional activity out there.

We decided on a safe plan.

We waited until the night, and moved out to recon everything.

Old man stayed in the tank, while I took Jester to scout.

Two men with rifles and a pair of binoculars were everything we had for scouting the enemy defenses.

The tank was stopped in a forest far away, and I hoped that the enemy really did not spot us.

When we were about 1 kilometer away from the fort, we already crossed a small field, and entered a grove.

I dashed between tree trunks, always on alert for any encounters. The night covered our approach but we were vigilant.

Be ready.

Understood.’ (J)

The trees were passed, and in front of us were only bushes. I lied down, and crawled forward. Jester followed me 5 meters away.

I was using the night vision googles to find a suitable spot for the observation post.

Jester has to follow me, or rather a dim glow of a faded chemlight I used beforehand. It barely produces a light, and even from this close it is barely visible.

Found.

When I dived under a bush, I saw that it has a nice space underneath it, and it is in the foremost row of the vegetation.

I would have an unobstructed visibility of 300 meters to the front, and some visibility of the flanks. The entire fort was visible.

Is that a mole hole...?’ (J)

Focus.


We spread out a blanket to lie on, and set up a small tripod to support the binoculars.

We could destroy this fort in a moment. Just a Tu-22, and the fort will be a history.

The only reason I am not attacking is that we must keep the enemy oblivious of our capabilities.

As long as the enemy considers this fort a place of tactical significance, they will be sending troops to protect it.

As long as I don’t bomb it, and show that while the fort stands we are halted, the enemy should keep their forces here.

We show up, we fire a couple of shots to stir the enemy, and then we withdraw. The enemy sends reinforcements, we attack them. That is the plan.

I will be observing the situation, you keep my back safe.

Understood. Wake me up when you’re done.’ (J)

Don’t fall asleep immediately.

We have the entire night of work to do.

I picked up the notebook and pencil from my pocket.

14