Chapter 1
1.8k 6 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Overtime, overtime and more overtime, I'm so used to working late that late has become the norm. I graduated from University a year ago and now I'm working at a top Virtual Reality company here in Japan. My colleagues and I worked on the new VRMMORPG, Reborn Online.

I'm a coder and quite the genius if I must say so myself. However, people took advantage of me because of it. When I say people, I actually meant person. This person was Ayumi Fujimoto, the CEO's beautiful daughter.

So yeah, I'm guessing you can already see my pain. How can I complain that she is dumping all her work onto me? If I do that, I might just as well dump all my stuff in a box and leave because I will definitely get fired.

I couldn't complain about her, so I got revenge in another way. My colleagues and I were working late on the game, Ayumi included. So I waited for everyone to fall asleep and once I confirmed that they were.

I took my black permanent marker and placed it on her jade-white forehead. Then I artistically drew an upside-down U "∩". I then connected the upside-down U with a C and another one in reverse "Ɔ". Lastly, I added a small straight line on the top of the upside-down U, just for finesse.

As I looked at my creation, I stifled a few chuckles. I had to admit this felt so much better than I thought it would. Who knew drawing a penis on an annoying girl's forehead could relieve you of your stress?

After revelling in my revenge, I tip-toed my way back to my desk, oblivious to what just happened. I lay my head on the back of my chair with no compunction whatsoever and went to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of a phone's alarm. Groggy, I yawned and stretched both my arms out fully. Then I stood up from my chair and went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee. When I came back to the office, everyone was staring at Ayumi trying to hold back their laughs. I almost laughed a few times at their constipated faces. Their faces were red, and you could see the nerves on their foreheads. They clearly wanted to laugh but were smart enough not to.

Then for some reason, they looked at me, as if I was the one who drew it. I wonder where they got that idea…? Anyway, Ayumi was confused as to why everyone was looking at her so weirdly. She couldn't understand what the joke was; little did she know she was the joke.

Eventually, she couldn't handle the stares and went to the bathroom to see what it was. She was used to people looking at her because she was attractive, but no one ever wanted to laugh at her appearance so she knew, something had to be wrong.

When she got to the bathroom, she looked in the mirror and saw my beautiful, 2D appendage on her forehead. In the next moment, a high pitch scream echoed through the entire building.

When my colleagues and I heard that, we all laughed. It felt good to get back at her. They were also being oppressed by her, so they found it enjoyable.

We loved it but of course, she didn't, she stormed out the bathroom, her face red with anger. On her forehead was a half-washed penis. She obviously couldn't wash it off. Seeing my creation still full of vigour, I stifled a chuckle and then looked at the floor. This caused a chain reaction as the entire room burst into laughter.

Ayumi pointed at me, "You! It was you who did this wasn't it!?"

I simply lifted my eyebrows, "Oh, that's racist just because it's drawn in black." I knew what she meant, but I wasn't going to just out myself. I don't want to be unemployed.

She tried to retort, but she stammered and the words didn't come out. So instead, she stormed out the building abashed and went to complain to her father. However, there was no proof. Even though everyone could guess it was me, they couldn't pin it on me.

The austere CEO came into the room looking cold as ever as his lifeless eyes fixated on me. When my colleagues saw the boss, they pursed their lips and raised their eyebrows. This was their way of saying, "We wish you well, I hope we meet in the next life."

The CEO walked closer to me then he smiled, "We have seen your dedication to this firm and we have decided to make you the team leader. Everyone in this group is your responsibility, including my daughter."

"What!?" This was the general reaction of everyone in the room. My mouth dropped and my eyes were wide open. I knew I wasn't going to get fired, but I didn't expect to get a promotion. I have done many complex equations but never did I think a penis would equal to a promotion. I nodded my head and accepted it with a smile.

Although everything worked out in the end, I got my revenge and I got a promotion. I couldn't help but wonder if this was the CEO's way of saying I should take responsibility for defiling his daughter by taking responsibility for her in office. But I must be overthinking, I mean it couldn't be that right?

I mulled over this issue for a while but eventually brushed the thought away and started work.

Work meant coding. The game was near its release date, and there was a lot of work to complete. My team and I had to go through many all-nighters just to finish it on time. Although I must admit, sometimes we would test the game for a bit of recreation. I didn't want to overwork my team too much. It's not because I wanted to play...

When I went into the game, I would practice my martial arts. I'm skilled with the spear and the katana. I've always loved those weapons because they are what my ancestors used to wield.

My father Shaun Inkosi is Zulu from South Africa. The Zulu's used the spear as their main weapon. My mother Rai Minamoto but actually Rai Inkosi is Japanese from Japan so my roots from her side used the katana.

I've been wielding the spear and katana since I was eight years old. I'm twenty-two now and overworked. So I can't practice as much as I did in the past, but I've managed to put in an hour or two every day when I "tested" the game for bugs.

Then after practice, I would work again for hours on end. Then after days of rigorous coding, my team and I and all the other departments finally completed the game. Now I could play the game! I've been dying to play it with all the features turned on. When I tested it, I could choose my race and class, however, that was something you couldn't do in the real game.

Our next-generation Artificial Intelligence scanned your brain waves and then combed through the finest parts of your genes. Once that was done, you would be assigned a race and a class. That race and class was you in your truest form. Some people were pissed that they became farmers when they wanted to be magicians.

However, as they played the game, they found the utmost joy in their class. They couldn't believe it and told all their friends about it. This caused the game to become a lot more popular than we anticipated. In the first month, the game had over fifty million players.

Because of that, poor old me never got the chance to play, sob, sob. I thought that when the game was released, I would have more time to myself, but that was such a naïve thought. Now all I've all been doing is fixing bugs.

I get messages from players saying, "Admin my character is stuck in a rock please fix."

"When I logged into my account, I suddenly became a girl. Are you telling me my true form is a girl!?"

Some people even try to take advantage and send messages like, "When I logged in I lost all my legendary equipment and 1 million gold coins please reimburse me. " I shake my head at these requests. The game just started, so as of now, players can only find legendary equipment in the legendary dungeons. However, at their level, they would die the second they entered.

Anyway, after, hours of rigorous coding, I finally finished fixing the bugs. Well almost all of them, I just had one more left. I yawned with my hand in front of my mouth, I had been burning the midnight oil so I was tired. After yawning, I looked to my minion on the left of me.

"Sid, there is only one bug left that I want you to fix. I'm going home for my long-awaited holiday."

Sid looked at me with his eyes glistening with water," I only have to fix one bug! Boss, you're the best!"

"HAHA, of course, I am but I did it to make sure the problems don't reoccur and they won't. Now I can play the game in its entirety." I stood up from my chair and put my overcoat on. I slipped one arm through, then the other. Lastly, I aligned it properly with two firm tugs.

Then I turned off my friendly aura and looked at Sid seriously, "This isn't a request, it's an order. Don't skip it otherwise, I'll be forced to act." I continued to look at him with my brows scrunched to show him I meant it and it worked.

Sid looked at me with his eyes wide open. Then he gulped out of fear and nodded his head vigorously. I didn't want to be so stern with him, but he doesn't respond to kind requests. I had to learn that the hard way.

When I saw Sid take to my words, I called a taxi and went home. I lived in a bachelor's flat on the fifteenth floor of Sawamura Heights. I walked into the building and swiped my pass card at the security post. When the security guard saw me, he laughed, "Long time no see, you've been at work for so long. But I appreciate your efforts; the game doesn't have any more issues. I can fight with my elf character to my heart's content. The world appreciates your effort!" He said smiling and gave me a thumbs up.

I looked at him and nodded my head; I was way too tired to say anything in return. Then I went into the elevator, and I punched the number fifteen on the keypad. The lift went up slowly but surely while the elevator music played softly. While going up, I leaned my tired head on the wall and closed my eyes until I reached my floor.

Ding!

The door opened, so I opened my eyes and unwillingly lifted my head from the wall. Then I sluggishly walked to my door dragging my shoes on the ground. When I got to my room, I lethargically scanned my eye on the retina scanner, and I entered my house.

Stepping inside, I couldn't even remember the last time, I had been here. My house didn't feel like my house anymore. I walked to my room, and plopped my tired body on my bed and fell asleep.

 

Hi, guys author- san here please like my story to keep me motivated so I don't feel my fear of failure crashing down upon causing me to drop this book. Also comments on how I'm doing is greatly appreciated even if they aren't kind, they help me to grow. 

Oh and of course last but not least thank you for reading!

42