Chapter 2: Anomaly
1.5k 6 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next afternoon, I woke up to an alarm. I opened my eyes, as the sunlight peeked through the blinds, almost blinding me. I winced in pain for a bit then I reopened my eyes slowly and away from the light. Once they were open, I looked at my phone and saw that it was already 12 in the afternoon. However, that didn't scare me; I was on holiday for a whole week! Yippee!

I got to do as I pleased so I walked out of my room and went to the kitchen. I was hungry and my stomach kept thinking it was a lion instead of an organ. I opened my double door fridge and just as I had expected. Everything in my fridge was off.

I sighed then took my phone out of my right pocket then placed my thumb on the screen. This unlocked it using my fingerprint then I went into the app, "shop for me". It was an app where you get people to buy food for you so you don't have to go to the shop yourself. All you needed to do was point out what you wanted.

So that's what did, I looked at all the goods and I bought everything I would need for the week and paid the bill. Then while waiting for my groceries to come, I cleaned the fridge of everything that was past its due date.

Once I was done, I heard a knock on my door. So I walked to the door and placed my hand on the knob. Then I turned it and pulled it towards me, opening the door. In front of me was a beautiful girl with black hair and light brown eyes.

However, she looked like she was sixteen maybe seventeen and therefore I wasn't going to work my magic on her. I'm not looking to go to jail anytime soon. So instead, I took my groceries and gave the jail bait a generous tip. I was feeling good today, I could finally play, Reborn Online so I wanted to share my joy with someone else.

After, taking the groceries, I put them all into the fridge. Then I took out the eggs and white rice. I put the rice into the rice maker and waited for it to cook. While the rice was cooking, I fried two eggs sunny side up. Yes, I know, I'm a disgrace of a Japanese, but I hate raw eggs over rice. I blame my dad's genes for that.

My dad doesn't like his eggs raw either; I am a Blasian after all. After frying the eggs, I waited another fifteen minutes then the rice was done. When it was done, I took my white bowl and dished the rice inside. Then I placed the eggs on top of it and popped their centres as the yellow yolk ran down into the rice.

I took my chopsticks and twirled the yoke into the rice until it turned into a resplendent golden colour. Lastly, I smacked my hands together. Itadakimasu1! Then I wolfed down the food. I finished it off with some kohi gyunyu2, Ah! Then I rubbed my stomach satisfied with my meal.

Then I put the dishes in the dishwasher and turned it on. After that, I walked to my spare room. Inside was my full-dive machine. It was the latest model. It allowed full immersion into the game. The initial gene and brainwave check was faster on this machine than its counterparts. So I didn't have to wait half an hour just to play.

Excitedly, I walked up to the machine and placed my hand on the scanner which opened the cylinder-like door. Then I lied down on the soft surface. It felt so comfortable more cosy than my bed, to be honest. Once I was inside, the door closed above me, then a VR headset formed on my head and there I went into the game!

The world became white as it looked like I was moving at light speed. After I was fully immersed the world regained its colour. I looked around and I was floating in space. Then a disembodied androgynous voice spoke to me.

"Welcome to Reborn Online, Raishaun Inkosi. In this VRMMORPG you are free to do as you please. However, there will be an equal reaction to your actions. You will receive the rule book in your inventory upon immersion. Be sure to give it a thorough read. Are you following me?"

"Yes, I am," I said.

"You can't choose your race or your class that will be decided by your genes. But rest assured, even if you think you don't want to be that. You will find complete joy in it. You will live the life you were always meant to live. However, your success will depend on how you interact with the players and NPC's of this world."

"I understand."

"Great then it shouldn't be long until the gene sequencing is done. You are using the newest model after all."

I smiled because I really thought it wouldn't take long but ten minutes later I was still waiting for it to finish.

"Excuse me! How long is this going to take?"

"Almost done, I found an anomaly but I'm busy fixing it. Just wait another five minutes."

Hearing this I acquiesced, I couldn't do anything else. So I waited for five minutes, but five minutes turned into ten minutes then into fifteen minutes. Now I was losing my patience.

"HELLO! How long is this going to take!?"

"I am so sorry. I've been trying to give you a class and race but you don't seem to have a specific one. This has never happened before, your genes and brainwaves are telling me you could be an excellent magician. Your body says your class should be a fighter since you are proficient in the spear and the katana.

Your surname and roots tell me that you should be a King thus civil service is more your speed. If it was just magic and weapon proficiency you would be assigned the secret class Combat Mage. But your knack for civil service is throwing the balance off. Therefore we have no class that suits you perfectly.

As for your race, I can't even tell what race you should be. There is no detail on your genes whatsoever!"

When I heard this I stood with my mouth agape. It felt awesome that I was an anomaly, but I was worried at the same time. Didn't this mean I couldn't play the game if it couldn't choose my profile?

I gulped, "So how am I going to play the game if you can't choose?"

"The only way forward is if I assign you a random race. You spin a wheel then you get the race the needle lands on. This way we leave it to chance, do you accept."

I sighed, it was better than nothing, "Yes."

Suddenly a huge wheel appeared in front of me. On it was races like Vampires, Goliaths, Kobolds, Spellscales, Tielflings and a lot more. If there was one race I didn't want to be, it was human. Every day I'm human so if this really was a new life wouldn't you want to live a different life?

I took a deep breath and spun the wheel. Suddenly all the words on it became a blur as the different colours of the wheel flashed before my eyes.

I looked at the wheel and intoned, "Not human, not human, not human." Then slowly but surely the rotational speed slowed down. Now I could see the words on the wheel. Every time the needle went over human, I got a mini heart attack.

Then as the wheel slowed down even further it stopped on human. When I saw that, I put my hand on my forehead and complained loudly.

Why!?" I really didn't want to be human. But then something happened that I didn't expect. A mysterious wind blew in space and the wheel shifted one piece further. Then it landed on Demon. I jumped for joy and then held the wheel in place lest it falls back on human. Then I called out, "Looks like I'm supposed to be a demon."

"Seems like that was your fate… The next order of business is your class. Since everything is split so evenly. The only thing I can do is award you the secret class, combat mage. This class will add boosts to your affinity with weapons and magic. Demons have bonuses to magic and physical strength too, so your race seems to sit well with you.

Lastly, your magic affinities are lightning, ward and time-space magic. Now for where you will be summoned. You will be summoned in the land of Kelthuzad that is the land of the demons. Every race has its land and currently each race is led by four different Kings with four different kingdoms. These Kings are actually players. Therefore you will be transported to Kelthuzad under the rule of another Demon Lord.

However, since you are an anomaly, I will treat you as one. You will be the only fifth appointed demon lord. During the first month of this games release, every other player from each race had their genes searched and if they had the ability to become King then they went through a series of tests and battles to see who could claim the spots. If they couldn’t compete for King they could still contest for 1st to 4th Prince and Princess until each roll was filled up.  

The selection period for system appointed Kings is now over, you are the only exception. You will be given land underground and under the detection of your fellow demon lords. You can choose to stay underground for the rest of your gameplay or you can expand to the top once you have amassed an army and try to take over the world. You can even choose to be a normal player doing everyday things.

I'll let you decide the rest. Your fate is your own but remember, time is of the essence..."

 

Hi, guys author- san here please like my story to keep me motivated so I don't feel my fear of failure crashing down upon causing me to drop this book. Also comments on how I'm doing is greatly appreciated even if they aren't kind, they help me to grow. 

Oh and of course last but not least thank you for reading!

43