Chapter 7: Curiosity killed the cat (2)
725 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Because of the bite, I was bleeding and needed medical attention. The wound was stinging like crazy! I knew this was full immersion but damn this was too real! I could even feel the cold winds blowing against my exposed flesh.

In response to the searing pain, I gritted my teeth so tightly, I could refine powder. Then I ripped off a segment of my cheap brown clothes and carefully wrapped up my wound. This decreased the speed at which my blood flowed out my body, thus ending the danger of me bleeding out.

Although the wound was closed, I could feel my arm becoming lame. I couldn't move it like before. This wasn't just because of the pain, the teeth of the lion had cut through muscles, weakening me. When I realised that, I decided to buy a healing potion. I had a lot of system points, so I was sure I could afford it.

I opened the [System] then I clicked on [Shop] but it didn't go in.

[End current battle to open the shop].

Seeing this I sighed because now I had to fight in this condition that was deteriorating over time but since I had no other choice, I shook my head and steeled my resolve, I just had to make do with what I had. There was no point in running away since the lion was close to death. Might as well get what I came for.

I peered at the lion that was busy fighting the three tieflings. Now that the lion had to focus on me too, they were finding it easier to fight.

I was just about to join the fight then I got a party request.

[Lv. 6 Brandon Flint is inviting you to join the party. Do you accept?]

[Yes]- [NO]

Without hesitation, I clicked [Yes]. I didn't want to antagonize them during the dangerous battle, even though they were too busy to notice what I was doing. Slowly but surely they were wilting down the lion with their swords that was coated in their mana.

The blue tiefling had an affinity to ice magic. The yellow tiefling had an affinity to wind magic and the leader fire.

Seeing them dealing with the Lion, I decided to join, lest they get all my rewards. I activated <Lightning Step> and ran towards the party of three. I gripped my sword tightly as a sharp pain shot through my body. My facial expressions scrunched up in response. Then I ran towards the lion preparing to stab it with my sword that was covered in <Lighting Aura>.

I thought I would be open to thrash it as I pleased, but the lion turned its attention to me. Then bit at me again, however, I wasn't going to fall for that move again. I dodged under the belly and stabbed upwards with my sword, piercing all the way in. Then I let go of my sword and with my left hand, I activated <Lightning Palm>.

The metal sword acted as a guide for the lightning to enter the depths of the lion. Once it did, the lion was flung backwards, five meters away. It would have gone further, but it claws clung to the ground stopping the momentum. There were two deep claw trails between me and the lion.

Once the lion had stopped moving, it looked at me with derision, this move had done nothing to it before, why would it now? However, when it took a step forward, it fell to the ground and coughed thick black blood. Shortly after, blood poured out of its ears and eyes, it was dying slowly.

The guided <Lightning Palm> with the help of all their previous attacks turned out to be successful.

I watched the lion dying with an apathetic eye. It had bit into me so it deserved a horrible and painful death. Then I clicked on the party setting ready to remove myself from the group so I could take the rewards for myself.

However, I wasn't the only one who had that idea in mind.

[You have been kicked from the party.]

Then the leader sped forward towards the dying lion. If he could get the last attack before death, the rewards would go to his team. Then they didn't have to share anything with me even though I had graciously helped them out of the bottom of my heart.

Seeing this, I laughed as it wasn't out of my calculations. Humans are mostly unpredictable. Sometimes we do things for no apparent reason. Yet, if there is one thing you could predict, it was greed.

I had a plan in the off chance something like this happened. Thus when I saw the leader run, I quickly activated, <Thunderbolt> and with a hum and bang, I threw it towards the lion. The blue lightning sizzled and cracked as it sped past the leader at a frightening speed. It landed on the dying lion giving it its underserved coup de grace.

Then the Abyss Lion burst into a million particles of blue light and faded away slowly.

"Oh, would you look at that. Curiosity did kill the cat." I said in a rather cheerful tone.

[Lv. 10 Abyss Lion (Boss) killed

2400 Exp obtained

180 System points obtained]

[You have levelled up!]

[<Lightning Step> has levelled up.]

[Name: <Lightning Step>

Mastery: Beginner

Description: Increases your movement speed by 35%, 20% chance to leave an afterimage that if touched will stun an enemy for 3 seconds.

Mana consumption: 100/activation]

[Lv.10 Boss monster killed (Hard)

Rewards:

[Name: Abyss storage ring.

Description: A 10m cubed room for you to store inanimate objects.]

[Name: Abyss Lion meat.

Description: The meat of the abyss lion is extremely tough but in the hands of a seasoned chef it is a delicacy that would leave you dying for more. If cooked correctly the person that eats it can gain bonus AP.]

[Name: Abyss Lion hatchets

Quality: Good 

Description: Hatchets forged from the claws of the Abyss lion. Gains extra bonuses when all three set items are equipped (0/3)

Requirement: Lv. 5

Set bonuses: Strength +3

Dexterity: +1

Agility: +1]

[Name: Abyss Lion overcoat

Quality: Good

Description: This coat was made from the hide of the Abyss lion. It is one of the most durable coats of its quality. Gains extra bonuses when all three set items are equipped (0/3)

Set bonuses: Charisma +3

Wisdom +2]

[Name: Abyss Lion boots

Quality: Good

Description: Made from the paws of the Abyss lion. Gains extra bonuses when all three set items are equipped (0/3)

Set bonuses: Agility +3

Dexterity +2 ]

When I saw the rewards, I pumped a fist with my left hand. I finally had a proper weapon, although it wasn't a spear or katana it was a good weapon! I also got a storage ring to store stuff, since the systems inventory could only store system bought items. Thanks to my curiosity and impulsiveness, I gained so much! I didn't just gain tangible rewards, I got a free wake up call early in my journey.

Nothing can do that better than pain, I confused confidence with arrogance which led to my injury. If I am going to be successful, I need to be more like my father: strong, dependable, yet also so very humble. As my mother said, talent gets you in but character keeps you there.

I at least got what I came for, and for that, I'm content. Then I equipped my new items and walked away, well at least I tried too... 

The red tiefling raised his had indicating I should stop, looking at his face, I knew it was to late to bury the hatchet, so I unequipped them and walked past him ignoring him completely.  

 

26