The Hobo
2.9k 7 90
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"...Sorry about that."

I apologized to Attendant Willis. 

"It's fine, Mr. Marcus. Luckily, you stopped before much damage could be done. If guards came over, we wouldn't have made it out of the situation unless I told them my real identity."

"It seems living in the background has its perks."

I said with a smirk. Turns out, not that many people know who Attendant Willis other than those of the castle and high nobility. He doesn't show up at balls nor does he accept letters from nobles trying to network. Instead, he handles the miscellaneous tasks of the king and heads the 1st Company who eliminates hidden threats threatening the kingdom.

When he's not doing that, he's standing behind the king, waiting for his orders.

I'll give him props for his loyalty.

"Not really. It's tiring how you have to doubt every person you meet, wondering if they're trying to harm his or her majesty all the time. This grey hair didn't all come from age."

Pointing at his grey hair, Attendant Willis said with a laugh. At this time something caught my eye...

"The things, the things you see in dreams… have you ever had dreams? Change! Anybody have any change…"

Across the street was a homeless person was sitting in front of a wall that connects to an alleyway. He was an old man dressed in rags and had a wooden plate in front of him with a few bronze coins in it.

He was panhandling.

However, this was not what caught my eye.

"Hey, can you give me a gold coin?"

Without much thought, I held my hand out and asked Attendant Willis. I've become quite comfortable with my freeloader title that I no longer care about asking for money.

"Are you going to give it to that vagrant over there?"

Throwing a gaze of disinterest at the old hobo, Attendant Willis said calmly as he handed me a gold coin. He doesn't seem to care that this guy is a homeless person.

"Yes. I need him to do me a favor."

Walking over to the hobo, I said with a smile. If he's a part of what I think it is, gathering information will be a whole lot easier.

"A favor? Him?"

"Just watch and see. Here you go, my dude."

Crouching in front of the hobo, I drop the gold coin into his plate. His unfocused eyes land on me. 

"Knowledge is power. Power to do evil or power to do good…"

Staring into those eyes, I told the hobo.

"Power itself is not evil, so knowledge itself is not evil, only potential. Only by applying that knowledge can it be powerful!"

The hobo finished my words as his eyes became sharp and clear while the aura around him suddenly changed. It was heavy and powerful.

"Who are you?"

This sudden change caused Attendant Willis to be on guard as he grabbed his sword and asked cautiously.

"...What is it that you request, seeker?"

Ignoring the bloodlust that Attendant Willis was giving out, the hobo said calmly. 

"I want information about the shady dealings of Patrick and Renaldo Yulstein. I want to know who they're dealing with, what they're dealing with, and where they're dealing. I want images if possible."

Although we'll have evidence against those two if the original plan succeeds, it could be argued that it's circumstantial evidence. I need eyewitnesses and evidence that can be directly tied to the Yulsteins.

If not, who's to say I can't plant something.

The Yulstein duo are shitty people so I won't feel guilty doing it.

"I also want you to gather information on that ugly bitch I bumped into. I want to know her address and her net worth. I know you guys saw it."

The association has eyes everywhere.

"One coin isn't enough. You know that right?"

"Of course I do. There's no way services of the association can be that cheap. I wish it was though."

High-quality information for the price of a gold coin? That'd be a steal.

"What's your price?"

"Seeing as you don't have any Fools coin, it'll be 200 gold coins for the Yulstein situation and 50 gold coins for the other matter. I would charge you a hundred for it but I had a few run-ins with that lady as well."

"I can do that. But can you give us enough time? I have to get the funds up."

"...Yes. I can do that. What's your name?"

"Marcus Townley. This guy here is Willis."

"Okay. I'll be here until tomorrow afternoon. Give me the payment before then."

"Sure thing. Have a nice day. Oh and give Number 13 my regards. He knows who I am."

"...Okay."

With the deal over, I shake his dirty but heavily calloused hand, stand up and go on my way.

After walking for about ten minutes…

"Do you mind explaining what happened back there?"

Attendant Willis finally asked the question I was waiting for. 

"Don't play dumb. With your network, I'm sure you have heard of them before."

"...The Vagrant Association!"

"Bingo!"

The Vagrant Association is an international intelligence network composed of, you guessed it, hobos.

Well, I say hobos but the majority of them aren't poor or homeless, they have houses and live a relatively normal life. Acting like a hobo panhandling on the street is just a regular nine to five job to them. Not to mention, each operative is trained in information gathering techniques, magic, and hand to hand combat.

As for why they are acting as homeless people, it's because information is easier to gather that way. I mean, who's going to expect a homeless person to be a highly trained Intel worker? Most people would look down or pity people begging on the streets, they'd ignore them and go about their way or give them a little bit of food or money. 

This sense of dismissal works in the Vagrant Association's favor. This allows them to get close to areas with various levels of information sensitivity, whether it's a bar or a high-class neighborhood.

And if they are ever confronted, nine times out of ten they will most likely be told to leave the premises. Worst case scenario, of course, is death.

"Every piece of intel they gather is put through a rigorous process of proofreading and confirmation. If there's a rumor, you best believe they're going to get to the bottom of it and sell it to whoever wants it."

Due to this unprecedented thoroughness, the association has a vast array of information. 

"They're entire business is information after all. One wrong piece of information could damage their reputation. The Vagrant Association is known for their quality after all."

Attendant Willis said in agreement.

"But how come you know them? Aren't they supposed to be secret? How'd you know he was a member?"

"The reason I know of the association is because I helped one of its members three years, I mean, ten years ago. He told me the easiest way to identify their members is by finding their branding."

"Branding?"

"If you closely examined his neck, you'll notice that there was a subtle brand mark. They are told to have them on open but discreet parts of their body, like the legs, arms, neck, etc. It works as an advertisement to those in the know and as a security measure for those who don't. If you don't know the hobo language you'd take those branding as marks of a madman. But that isn't all though. You know that little talk I did there with the hobo earlier? That was a password too. It's to double-check whether you're a potential customer or not."

"And on the off-chance, you couldn't finish the password?"

"He'd probably play along before trying to lure us somewhere to kill us or kidnap and torture us for information."

I said with a shrug of my shoulders. They, like any other underground establishment, have enemies as well. Every day, there's a chance they could be targeted and killed. So, when need be, they'll be as ruthless as they have to.

"I see. I've learned something astonishing today."

"I'm glad you think so because you're going to pay the guy."

When I said that, Attendant Willis immediately stopped in his tracks.

"...Huh?"

"Don't 'huh' me. I don't have any money. I'm broke."

I have money but it isn't anywhere near enough to pay for what that hobo is offering.

"Therefore, dig into the government's funds and pay for it. Put the taxpayers' money to good use."

"It's funny how you say that when you want information about that lady. Isn't that taxpayer money going to fund your petty revenge as well?"

"Don't sweat the small stuff. When I'm done with her, you'll possibly make back what you spent."

"In the end, there's no guarantee that you'll make back those 50 gold coins."

"Yes."

This is payback for what she said earlier. My mother may have not been a good one but she tried her best. So I'd be damned if I'd let that woman disrespect her like that.

"Sigh, I'm guffawed at your level of pettiness, Mr. Marcus…"

Attendant Willis said before breaking out into a wry smile.

"But it's not like I don't understand you. I didn't like her either. She puts other nobles to shame. Let's just hope you can earn more than 50 gold coins from her."

"Haha, I'll do my best. Well, let's speed up. I don't want to miss seeing the queen and princess."

"Most certainly. Let's take to the rooftops, it's faster that way."

At Attendant Willis's suggestion, we picked a relatively empty street, climbed the walls of the buildings, and continued our trip towards the castle.

90