Meeting Queen Katherine And Princess Violet (3)
2.9k 13 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, I said we were going to where the queen and princess were but it’s technically them going to meet us. We’re in the throne room.

“Woah, so many people! I’m starting to get nervous.”

Kari whispered as she looked around the area. Other than there being a few people who I'm unfamiliar with here, I could see a lot of familiar faces, including the Yulsteins and the nobles who I met when we were first summoned here. And of course, King Paul was here as well. He was sitting on his throne talking with his shadow, Willis, about something. From the discrete glances they give Patrick and Renaldo who are conversing quite vigorously with the nobles around them, it must be about what they have to deal with after they die. 

Because when they do, it wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to know that something was up. But not to worry, I have that covered. While I may not be Agent 47, this isn’t my first assassination.    

“Yeah, there are a lot of big shots here.”

I said offhandedly to Kari to appease her sense of nervousness slightly. I’m only here to see the queen and princess, not expand my political network. I don’t care about who’s who in here. Not to mention, I’m already on bad terms with some of the people here, more specifically, the Yulsteins. With them having major pull within the government, it’s no surprise that they have a little posse who looks negatively upon me as well. 

Their intense glares are comical. 

To pass the time, I decided to pull out a cigarette from my makeshift cigarette case that was made out of paper... 

“Marcus, no smoking here!”

But before I could even place it in my mouth, it was snatched from my hand and turned into ice before being crushed. 

“Don’t you think it’ll be considered rude to smoke while waiting for the Queen? Plus, didn’t I warn you about smoking? Didn’t Father Jefferson’s passing tell you the ultimate price you have to pay for smoking cigarettes?”

Alice admonished. I heard this a thousand times already so shrugging my shoulders, I replied to her while reluctantly stuffing the pack of cigarettes back into my pocket.

“No, not really. If I was her and I saw someone smoking a Hanoka cigarette, which is entirely healthy by the way, I’d ask if I could have one as well.”

These cigarettes don’t need a general surgeon’s warning on them. Why? Because they’re healthy. The plants used to make Hanoka are shown to heal lung tissue, which is hard to heal even with healing magic. But the downside is that they’re expensive. 

The price of healthiness, I guess. 

“...You’re about the only person in this whole castle who can say that with a straight face.”

“I apologize for that. I’ve been around royalty for so long that you could say I’ve become numb to the majesty surrounding it.” 

I’ve visited many summits of nation’s leaders in the past. We’d share information and decide future strategies for upcoming battles. Well, I wasn’t the one doing that, it was mostly Grace and the others. They’d talk and I’d stand off to the side and listen, giving my input when needed. The people back then were wary of me plus, I wasn't much interested in diplomatic stuff. I mean, why should I? I wasn’t this world’s resident. If it wasn’t detrimental to Artasia, the beef between nations was none of my business.

But now, things have changed. I’ll be living here from now on and I need to learn the political climate of this world. 

“Give it time and you’ll become numb too.”

“Haha, I hope not. It’s not good to show disrespect to a person who runs a country.”

Alice said with a wry smile. Smiling back, I said this to comfort her.

“Don’t worry. If it makes you feel any better, I know the manners of when dealing with royalty. I’ll show the utmost courtesy.”

“Can you really do that?”

“Hey, what’s with those eyes filled with doubt? Of course, I can.”

Two of my party members were part of royalty so I had it drilled into me on what I should do when dealing with a member of the royal family. The gist of it is to act as humble and as respectful as possible. No one was greater than royalty. 

“Shh, you two. Here they come” 

Kari said in nervous excitement as she saw the throne room doors open and a group of guards dressed in shiny armor enters the room. They were surrounding a woman and a little girl.  

“We have returned your majesty.”

Said the woman in a formal but melodious voice as the security detail surrounding her opened, showing a gallant beautiful brown-haired woman and a pretty blonde-haired little girl.

King Paul, you lucky son of a bitch! 

Where’d you find such a woman? She doesn’t look a day over thirty! Not to mention, her body! She got all the right stuff in all the right places. And as for the little girl, she’s a pretty angel! If I was her father, I’d be proud to show her off to the world!

...To be blessed with such family members, I’m jealous!

“Ouch!”

All of a sudden, I felt a sharp pain in my side, snapping me from my jealous-filled thoughts. Looking down, I saw a small, dainty hand pinching me like there was no tomorrow.

“What was that for?”

Showing an incredulous look, I whispered to Alice, acting dumbfounded. I knew why she was mad but it felt fun to act oblivious to it. Disappointingly, the only response I got from her was a ‘hmph’ as she continued to watch the reunion between King Paul and Queen Katherine who was describing her travels. 

At the same time, I felt a presence slowly appear beside me. It didn't take a second to figure out who it was.

“I came just in time.”

Whispered Prince Leonard as he quietly stood beside me. His eyes had a look of relief in them as he stared at his mother and sister.

“Cutting it close aren’t you?”

I said with a smirk. To which he replied with a wry smile.

“I was too busy reading ‘The Prince’ and a few other books. I decided to slowly decipher the hidden meanings behind their texts. It was only when I heard the trumpets outside did I realize that mother was about to arrive.”

“Didn’t a servant go notify you?”

Usually, he’d be notified of something this important.

“I believe so. I heard someone knocking on my door but I didn’t pay any mind. I was too concentrated on reading.”

“I see…”

This was the only reply I could come up with in response to his reply. His concentration when reading is praiseworthy. 

"So, did you find a cure?"

The king said with a slight hint of anticipation. His words caused the whole atmosphere to freeze.

"...No. A landslide happened the day before due to a territorial dispute between two A-rank danger beasts. So by the time we got to where the final plant needed to make the potion was located, the entire area was destroyed and covered in debris…"

Putting on a sad expression, Queen Katherine stroked her daughter's head and said a strong but heartbroken tone. She was holding back her tears as her eyes were slightly red.

"I see…"

King Paul said in a deflated manner when he heard the unfortunate news. He was hoping desperately that they'd be able to find a cure for her. As for Prince Leonard...

"Dammit!"

He, just like his father, was distraught. He had a lump in his throat as he cursed in a hushed tone.

My condolences my friend.

"..."

As for the girl, she was looking at her father with an apologetic expression. Almost as if she's blaming herself for the failed expedition. Seeing this look of self-blame, King Paul almost jumps off of his throne to comfort her but quickly catches himself. Fixing his expression, he says in a dignified manner.

"Now's not the time to dwell on setbacks. From your words earlier, does it mean that you have most of the ingredients needed to create the potion?"

Staring at the middle-aged guard standing behind Queen Katherine, King Paul questions. Kneeling on one knee, the guard respectfully replies.

"Yes. We've managed to collect the majority of the ingredients. The only thing we need now is the Goddess Tears to complete the potion."

"Then great! All we need to do is find another one. And if we can't get that one then we'll find another and another! No matter how far, no matter how long, I'll collect every last one of them if it means I can restore the voice of my lovely daughter!"

The king said as he smiled gently at his daughter and wife who were similarly smiling at him. The love of a father towards his kids was seen plain as day.

This! This is what a father should be! Not a drunk and abusive drug addict father like mine. A father must protect and provide for his family, not beat and treat them like crap.

Paul, you are a man worthy of my utmost respect!

"To see such strong familial bonds with the royal family… If you need my assistance, don't hesitate to call me! I'll help the best I can! Long live his majesty!"

Feeling similarly inspired by his little speech, an old noble in his sixties energetically offered his help as he took a knee.

"Long live his majesty!"

Following his example, nobles, one by one, even the Yulsteins, dropped to their knees and said with vigor. Of course, not to be the odd ones out, me, Alice, and Kari bowed down as well.

"You may rise."

After hearing the king's signal, everybody stood up once again. 

"Now that you've returned. I won't hold you any longer, I'm sure you're quite tired."

Walking back to his throne, Paul said with a smile.

"Yes, your majesty. These past few months have taken a toll on us greatly. Come, Violet, let's go have some tea and cake."

Queen Katherine suggested as she looked at her daughter.

"..."

In response to the word 'cake', a childlike smile formed across Princess Violet's face as she nodded in agreement. With some pep in her step, she followed her mother out of the throne room.

"Now, onto our next matter. Mr. Tilvis, how's the front line?"

"From the letter my son sent me...

A few minutes after the mother and daughter pair left, King Paul asked a noble after Willis whispered something to him.

"Welp, I saw who I wanted to see so out of this room I go. I'll see you later."

Seeing how everyone was getting into the mood to talk about what was going on on the front lines, I said to the three as I started walking towards the throne room exit. I'm not involving myself on the front lines anytime soon so there's no use in me learning about it.

Alice and the other two on the other hand.

"Wait for me, I'm coming too."

"Me as well."

"I only came to meet mother and Violet. I can learn the details of what happened here through Willis so there's no need to be here any longer."

Didn't seem like they wanted to learn about the details either. Shrugging my shoulders, I said nothing and continued walking.

So while under the watchful gazes of many nobles, we exited the throne room. 

"Are you the three heroes?"

"Hm?"

And upon exiting an old but elegant maid looked at us and asked respectfully.

...Despite this maid looking old, my senses tell me that this woman is strong. 

Is she a ninja maid?

"Yes, we're the three heroes."

"Wrong. There are two heroes, these two girls here. I was an extra." 

Alice said in my place but almost immediately, I corrected her.

If I didn't try to force those two out of the way when the summoning began, my ass would've been back in a cell going outside for only one hour a day.

...Hmm, I don't know if being summoned was a good thing or a bad thing. It's great that I escaped prison but it sucks that we were summoned during wartime and Alice and Kari are going to have to fight in the future.

Talk about conflicting feelings.

"...Well, either way, her majesty would like to see you."

"""Eh?"""

While albeit a little confused, the ninja maid accepted our explanations and dropped a major bombshell on us.

Not even twenty minutes passed and we're already meeting for a second time.

***

Wow, talk about late. It's been almost a month and now I finally managed to drop a chapter.

Sorry for the delay.

I had most of it already written but with me getting writer's block and getting ready to ship out, I never got around to it.

Oh, and let's not forget I've been reading a lot of books from NU. "The Girls Who Traumatized Me" and the ever disgusting but sadly my guilty pleasure Cuckold Wizard are surprisingly good. Especially the former.

As for how long it may be before I drop another chapter, only time will tell.

Anyways, stay dangerous out there my guys.

.

72