We Make Mistakes, Just Happy Little Accidents (3)
1.5k 11 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yes, you. Come here  you’ve got a butler’s uniform on so I’m assuming you’re from one of the surrounding estates. I always wanted to paint a butler so the moment I saw you, I wasn't gonna give you up. So don’t be shy and come up here.”

 

Seeing the target of today’s excursion, the butler whose position I’m going to temporarily borrow, in the crowd, I beckoned him over with a professional smile. 

 

There was a reason I chose the streets of the noble section to conduct my business. Other than making money off the people who roam them (poor people don’t recklessly walk through an area that screams money), it allows me to get close to the Yulstein estate without raising suspicion. I’m literally a street across from them.

 

While I’ve used [Apparition] and telescopes to observe the estate from afar, seeing it up close makes me sympathize a little for revolutionists when they ask for the abolition of nobles.

 

This mansion is too luxurious! 

 

I can’t wait to loot this damn place!

 

“...Okay.”

 

Snapping me from my thuggish thoughts, the butler said as he stood in front of the canvas.

 

“Now, if you will, strike a pose as if you’re standing beside your master waiting for him to order you to pour him a drink.”

 

“Like this?”

 

The butler then proceeds to straighten his back and bring his left arm across his chest. Seeing this, I contemplate on something for the moment and glance at Mary. 

 

“Mary, can you give him something to cover his arm? Like a cloth? It can be anything. I just need it to be a placeholder as I paint.”

 

“I understand. Uhm. miss can I use your scarf for a moment?”

 

Mary asked a young woman in her twenties. She was cute but that was all. She was wearing what looked to be a fairly expensive dress with a red scarf draped over her shoulders. Is she a noble?

 

“Yes. Here you go.”

 

The cute girl said as she stared at the butler. Her eyes never strayed away from him even as she handed the scarf to Mary. Well, I can’t blame her. When I first saw this guy, I knew he was quite handsome.

 

…Tch! Fucking ikeman. I hate your kind!

 

“Alright let’s get started.”

 

I said as the butler received the scarf. Mixing up a few colors, I dab my paintbrush in them and began creating a silhouette of him. Once that was done, I moved onto doing the color and smaller details, such as changing the scarf into a cloth used by butlers in a dining room environment. Thanks to [Heavenly Annihilation Techniques] I have amazing hand eye coordination and with my years of practice, the painting was finished in a matter of fifteen minutes. 

 

The painting looked like the ones a person would find in an art museum.  

 

If I wanted to, I could easily recreate some of Earth’s most famous works like the Mona Lisa. I could’ve just had grandpa 'conveniently’ find the paintings in the church’s attic and he could’ve sold them for millions. 

 

Sigh, if only there was mana back on Earth. I could’ve been raking in dough as a painter. Hell, from what I heard from Alice in a letter one time, one doesn’t even need to be that talented anymore since a banana stuck to the wall with duct tape was sold for $120 thousand dollars!

 

A $120 thousand dollars!

 

…Ah, I suddenly feel my motivation going out the window. Let’s stop thinking about this. 

 

“Here you go, sir. What do you think?”

 

Discreetly using [Gahenna’s Flame] to dry the paint I asked as I showed the butler the painting.

 

“Wow! It’s amazing! You made me even more handsome!”

 

After giving the scarf back to the cute girl who said to herself ‘I think I’m in love,’ the butler said astounded as he laid his eyes on his portrait.

 

… ‘Made you more handsome?’ Quite the confident motherfucker here isn’t he? 

 

Y’know what? I was feeling a little guilty about the fact that I’m gonna have to potentially ruin this guy’s butler career via taking down the Yulstein family but now, not so much.

 

“Are you really willing to sell this for only a few coppers? If you want, I can recommend you to my lord. He’s a man who likes the aesthetics of art.”

 

“Oh? And who might your lord be?”

 

Already knowing who his master was, I said with fake interest. If he’s offering the opportunity for me to infiltrate the estate, I’m not going to say no. It only gives me more options to fall back on if my original plan doesn’t work out. 

 

“Lord Yulstein.”

 

The butler said as he leaned in and whispered into my ear. I guess he didn’t want to announce who his lord was, which is understandable since there’s nobles out there who hate it when people use their names.

 

And knowing that fatass’s personality, he definitely wouldn’t like a servant throwing his name out in the public.

 

“O~h, isn’t he quite famous?”

 

Taking the bait, I said slightly surprised. Nodding, the butler replied.

 

“Yes. In fact, he’s probably the most powerful person besides the king. If you were to sell your services to him, I bet that you can make way more money than this, even more than merchants! That’s how much he places value on art. Also…”

 

“Also?”

 

“With your skills, there’s a chance for your art to reach the eyes of the royal family. If that happens, your name might go down in history.”

 

“...”

 

This guy sure has a way with words. I’m starting to get suspicious at why he’s trying his best to get me. While I may be a good artist, there’s way better than me. People who live, eat, and sleep ‘art’. If my memories serve me correctly, although rare, there’s a magic discipline dedicated to the arts such as painting and sculpting. 

 

These people are literally able to breathe ‘life’ into their artwork.

 

Not to mention, judging from the information I gathered from my observations, Yulstein, other than wanting to make money and gain power, has a superficial appreciation of art. If something is covered in gold and adorned in jewels, he’ll most likely buy it.

 

Meaning this guy is lying.  

 

“Hmm, I’ll think about it.”

 

But despite this, I’ll bite anyway. What are you trying to do Mr. Butler?

 

“...Okay. whenever you're interested just go to this address here.”

 

Using a small paintbrush, the butler clumsily writes an address on the slip of notepad paper he retrieved from his pocket. 

 

It said ‘Aubrey’s Inn.’

 

“I usually hang out around there during my time off.”

 

He then rips the paper from the small notepad and hands it to me. I took it without hesitation.

 

Backup plan number three, acquired. 

 

“Mn, if I ever feel tired of traveling and change my mind, I’ll go visit you. What was your name?”

 

“Aaron. I don’t have a last name.”

 

“I see. Well, you can call me Ross.”

 

“Alright. Nice to meet your acquaintance Bob.”

 

“Likewise.”

 

We then go to shake hands.

 

“Ouch!”

 

Upon clasping my hand, Aaron yelped in pain. His hand slowly started to bleed.

 

“Ah, sorry, I didn’t mean to knick you with my ring. It’s a bit worn and rugged. Maybe it’s about time to get a new one.”

 

I said with an apologetic smile as I showed him the silver ring that was on my finger. It was crooked, dented, and jagged. I made it just before I got here and was originally made from large silver coins that were formed via [Gahenna’s Flame].  

 

“Here, let me help you. Mary.”

 

Grasping his hand, I called Mary, who was chatting with the crowd over. 

 

“Yes?”

 

“Heal Mr. Aaron here. I accidentally cut his finger with my ring.”

 

“There’s no need to do that Mr. Ross. it’s only a small wound.”

 

Aaron said as he tried to pull back his hand. But before he could, I put more strength into and said in complete seriousness.

 

“Nonsense! You have no idea where this ring has been. Hell, even I don’t know where it’s been despite having it on my finger. That’s how many places I traveled Mr. Aaron. So please let Mary heal you.”

 

“O-okay. If you insist.”

 

After exuding an aura of ‘I won’t let you refuse’, Aaron finally gave in.

 

“Thanks. Mary.”

 

“If you excuse me Mr. Aaron, [Heal]!”

 

A green light slowly starts to emanate from Mary’s hands as she places them over Aaron’s finger. In the matter of seconds, the wound was completely healed. 

 

“I’m thankful, Ms. Mary. It's not everyday I get a chance to see magic. Especially from a pretty girl like you.”

 

He said with a charming smile as he looked at her.

 

“No worries.”

 

She replied with a somewhat shy smile.

 

…Oi, that’s my maid! Quit trying to woo her over with your ikeman charm!

 

“Well, we should get going. We need to find a place to stay for the night.”

 

In a somewhat irritated manner, I said aloud as I began picking up the canvas and paints. It’s not that I’m jealous, okay? I just wanted to let the masses know that I’m closing up the shop. Using my imagination to fix problems such as balding and ugliness to make my customers happy takes a lot of work to do.

 

“I’ll be seeing you then Mr. Ross. While there isn’t necessarily a deadline to the offer, I really hope to see you soon.” 

 

“Yeah, yeah. I got you.”

 

I then ignore him and continue to pack up the stuff. Trying to steal my maid are we? Hmph, just you wait, when I finish compiling my data on you, I’m going to mess up that face of yours a little bit. 

 

“Then, see you.”

 

Aaron then with his portrait in hand, turns around and disappears into the crowd.

 

“Let’s give these back to the little scrub from earlier.”

 

After the crowd dispersed. I said to Mary who was staring at me with a slight smirk.

 

“What’s the matter?”

 

I said curiously. What is she smirking for?

 

“Oh nothing, it’s just that this is my first time seeing Master so upset. At first you were all cordial but as soon as I was complimented, you suddenly became sour… is it possible that Master is jealous?”

 

“Jealous? Preposterous!” 

 

I said with a snort but deep down, I was wholeheartedly agreeing with what she said.

 

You damn right I was jealous! How dare he make passes at my maid! No, my disciple! It would’ve been different if he was a regular guy but no, he had to be an ikeman. Not to mention, a target.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Mary said teasingly as she leaned towards me with a wide smile. Dammit, if I falter now, she’ll know!

 

“Yes I’m sure. It’s just as your master, I hope you can find a guy who’s at least able to protect you. Y’know like an adventurer or something. That way, when shit ever hits the fan, you’ll be protected.”

 

“But I can protect myself. After all, I’m being taught by you.”

 

“That’s besides the point. It never hurts to have an extra form of protection in the form of a person who fights by your side. Because trust me, when you’re alone, protection like this is very much cherished.”

 

I learned this the hard way in the early stages of me being a hero before actually meeting Grace and the others. You’d be surprised how quick people are to abandon once their lives are at stake.

 

“Hmm, I see. So that’s what it was. Well that’s too bad since adventurers typically date each other and form parties together. Not to mention, if I was to date an adventurer there’s no telling when he’ll come back since adventuring is a dangerous job.”

 

“It seems you thought about it well.”

 

“That’s because the head maid once experienced heartbreak that way. Plus, I’m not really into being protected. I’d like to do the protecting instead!”

 

“Like a hero?”

 

“Exactly.” 

 

“It seems you’ve been tricked with the gloriousness of being a hero as well. Didn’t I tell you guys that it’s a crappy job?”

 

I said with a sigh. No matter how many times I tell them stories of what being a hero entails, it always seems like my words enter one ear and go right out the other. 

 

“That may be true master but despite that, I’d still choose to be one like Ms. Alice and Ms. Kari if given the chance too.”

 

Mary then stares at the crowd of people in the streets as we walk by. 

 

“I want to protect the smiles of children, I want to protect the smiles of a loving family, I want to protect the future of the up and coming royal maids. I want to protect the world my parents were born into. I want to…” 

 

Mary then stares at me with her big brown eyes and continues with complete seriousness.

 

“Protect everything in this world!”

 

BA-DUMP!

 

At her words, I felt my heart race.

 

Who knew she could be so cute, dashing and charming all at the same time!

 

Besides that point, her words also made me understand something.

 

While I may have a shitty view on being a Hero due to being one before, there’s always people who, no matter what, will always choose to be one.

 

Even if things get shitty.

 

Alice, Kari, Leonard, and now Mary, are all people in this category.

 

Despite me telling them the downsides of becoming a hero, they’d always laugh it off and say ‘everything’s going to be alright. We’ll just work harder’ with a smile. For strangers they don’t even know, they’re willing to risk their lives.

 

“Why weren't you guys there when I was a hero, huh?”

 

I leaked out with a bitter smile. If they were with me back then, I wonder how things would’ve turned out?

 

Sigh, these guys are the epitome of being a hero. I hope they never change. 

 

“Hm? What do you mean, Master?”

 

Tilting her head to the side, Mary inquired. Shaking my head and saying ‘nothing’ I placed my hand on top of her head, ruffled it and said with a smirk.

 

“Since you said all that, I don’t wanna hear any takebacks you hear?”

 

“Take back what? I mean everything I said. I’m not a liar like you. Stop messing up my hair. It took me hours to get it like this.”

 

Mary then smacks my hand away with an annoyed expression. Seeing this, I laughed out loud, faced forward and focused on walking. 

 

“Master, can I ask a question?”

 

All of a sudden, Mary asked. Without a thought, I nod my head.

 

“Go for it.”

 

“You said that if I was to date somebody that I should find someone who’s able to protect me right?”

 

“Yes. that way if you’re ever in trouble there’s at least someone who can help you effectively escape.”

 

“Hypothetically speaking, what if I can’t find somebody I like who’s strong enough to protect me? What should I do then?”

 

“Find friends.”

 

“What if they’re weaker than me?”

 

“Find stronger friends.”

 

“And what if I can’t?”

 

“There’s a lot of ‘I can’ts’ in this conversation...”

 

“Like I said earlier, these are all hypothetical questions. I’m confident in my looks to find a nice husband for myself and I have Ms. Alice and Ms. Kari as friends.  Now, answer the question. What should I do?”

 

Mary said as she brutally cut me off. She’s really forcing these ‘what if’ scenarios hard on me, huh? After thinking for a moment, I looked towards her and said with a smile full of confidence. 

 

“If you can’t find a husband or friend who’s strong enough to protect you then call me.”

 

“Call you?”

 

“Yeah, call me, your master. The one who’s teaching you and the heroes how to fight and survive in war. The master whose art skills are out of this world. The master whose looks are out of this world. The master who, no matter where you are, will always come in and rescue you. You can always count on him.”

 

This goes for Alice and the other two as well.

 

While I won’t be by their side when they’re out in the world doing hero things, you can best believe I’ll alway be there when they need my help most. 

 

Why? Because I’m their brother, their friend, and their master. And due to these three things, I’ll gladly stake my life on it.

 

“...Since you said those words, you can’t take them back Master. I don’t know about having out of this world looks but  I’m going to hold you to that last one.”

 

Mary said after being silent for a quick moment. Her cheeks were faintly blushing.

 

Oi, what type of flag did I trigger to cause her to blush? I’m not complaining about it, I just want to know what it is so I can replicate it. 

 

I need brownie points!

41